homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can turn off WiFi sense and all the other goodies you might not want to use by choosing to customise the set up. It's what Tony K meant about not using express set up.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Advice required please! I'm considering getting a tablet (already have and use a laptop running Windows 7). The idea is to use the tablet for reading books and quick email checking. I'm not looking at a Kindle right now as I already have several non-Kindle e-books, and my favourite local bookshop does nook only.

What I need to work out (not quite in priority order!) is
  • operating system pros and cons
  • e-reader software/app availability (and its compatibility with e-books I own)
  • budget
Suggestions on where to look for info much appreciated - I'm not going to be doing this in a hurry.
Nook clients are avaiilable on Android and iOS - http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-mobile-app/379003593

Kindle app is available on both platforms... what other format are those other ebooks? PDF readers are available as well.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Personally - much as apple can irritate me - my experience has been that ios is easier to use and the build quality on ipads is good. I've lost track of how many times I've dropped this one and its survived. The one thing that does bug me is the lack of usb compatability on my model though.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
You can turn off WiFi sense and all the other goodies you might not want to use by choosing to customise the set up. It's what Tony K meant about not using express set up.

Yes, indeed, the individual user can happily enable or opt-put, but unless I check every computer which comes into the office with workers, I don't know if they did that or not. The wifi passwords may not be secure and this creates network vulnerability which the Privacy Commissioner has not allowed us. We can do the appending of "_optout" to the SSID (name of the wireless network), but really? I have to do something because of some silly Microsoft idea? M$ has created an insecurity by design which I must now address because of their doing? [Mad] Having spent about 1/2 day checking computers so far. How soon will someone figure out how to get around that?

I may have to change policies about any device and operating system, generally disallowing anything Microsoft. (rant)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Windows 10 -- you are definitely the product, not the customer. The vast mass of uninterested/unaware users will blithely accept what they are fed, but if you do value taking any kind of responsibility over your private data, etc. then you need to tread warily with Windows 10, and you should with any (proprietary) computing service where control is largely retained by the supplier.

Have fun, it really is a jungle out there.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PS - there's plenty of info online re set-up and privacy settings for Windows 10, but here's a link to a fairly straightforward run through on dealing with privacy side: http://tinyurl.com/poy27nv
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Users of Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1 are, AFAIK, entitled to a free upgrade to Win 10 within one year after its launch, which would be sometime in July 2016. And after that, you'll still be able to purchase it.

Therefore, IMO, there's plenty of time to wait and see how Win 10 really works in everyday computing - or not, as the case may be - by learning from others users. Quite a few of the bugs and inconsistencies built into it by M$, either consciously (greedy bastids!) or by sheer sloppidity (has all happened before!), will have been discovered by then. M$ may even have been forced to do a Win 10.1, who knows.

Mainly, support for Win 7 only runs out in 2020, and for Win 8/8.1 even later.

Thus, in my view, upgrading to Win 10 can really wait! At least until the summer of 2016, if you must. Or even until the end of support for Win 7/8/8.1.

I really, honestly don't see why we, the users, should play unpaid and spied-upon guinea pigs for M$. Personally, me, I have the time and can wait. Perhaps even for Windows 11? Or Linux. [Devil]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

For anyone contemplating experimenting with Linux you might like to consider this:

Linux is NOT Windows, you really do need to take the time to explore what it offers and how it works. If you go in with the attitude that you can force Linux to be Windows you will be very disappointed and frustrated.

A modern, user friendly distribution of Linux, like Mint or Ubuntu are generally simple to install, easy to maintain (in as much as any operating system is 'easy'), and highly functional, but there are philosophical and structural differences that need to be understood and accepted if you are to really 'get on' with Linux (as with any OS).

You need to be willing to explore and learn. Alternatively you need someone else to act as your 'system administrator', while you just get on with using it. Plenty of domestic Linux (and Windows/OSX) users are in that boat, they know nothing and care nothing about how it all works, but someone else does and that's all that matters.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I loved Linux while I used it (on dead Windows machines to keep them going), but ... I work on Windows, and the incompatibilities continued to be a pain.

It's fine if everything you do is standalone different, but I had major major problems completing electronic job applications or other online forms, because the formatting didn't convert, so I had to allow much much longer to reformat all the forms to work and resend as a pdf. Or go to the library to complete forms there. Some of the integration of files, such as calendars across devices, ain't so great (and I have an Android phone too).

Lots of things were fine: internet browsing (although the buttons on here were useless), Skype, e-mails, photography and processing pictures, producing simple word documents and spreadsheets and saving as .doc and .xls, so long as you're not expecting full Windows compatibility because flashy formatting falls over.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Yes, indeed, the individual user can happily enable or opt-put, but unless I check every computer which comes into the office with workers, I don't know if they did that or not. The wifi passwords may not be secure and this creates network vulnerability which the Privacy Commissioner has not allowed us. We can do the appending of "_optout" to the SSID (name of the wireless network), but really? I have to do something because of some silly Microsoft idea? M$ has created an insecurity by design which I must now address because of their doing? [Mad] Having spent about 1/2 day checking computers so far. How soon will someone figure out how to get around that?

I may have to change policies about any device and operating system, generally disallowing anything Microsoft. (rant)

Well, strictly speaking if they're guests to the office then they should be on a guest LAN, not the office LAN, which has full separation from the main LAN.

If it's workers and BYOD then you need some server software or an appliance doing NAC (Network Access Control) - nothing can join the network or send traffic until it has been automatically scanned and found compliant with your policies.

(Also, on a Windows Domain rather than Workgroup, no-one will get the W10 upgrade prompt anyway, which is handy).

All of which will just make you rant more, but really NAC style approaches are the only viable thing to do if you really want to maintain security and don't want to frisk everyone as they enter the building [Smile]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have workers and associates. Complicated as it is with professionals. They are signing yet more forms undertaking not to do Windows 10. I have viewed computers as disposable appliances. Just have to connect to the server via whatever client operating system and remote desktop software. I would make them all use $200 refurbished HP laptops with Linux on them if I could. Those who really want windows or apple can get a recreational device. But I can't get independently thinking professionals in this anarchistic collective to agree on anything, and frankly, philosophically, I want independent people, who feel powerful and not bossed around. But this sort of thing is rather annoying. One told me that they are 'confusers' not computers.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doomed! You are doomed!

Unfortunately it's always the way: either lock everything up tighter than a gnat's chuff, which causes aggro, inefficiency and frustrates the competent; or leave it open and flexible, trusting people not to be numpties, and discovering that numpty-dom is an equal opportunity affliction.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In that office - go for a Citrix virtual desktop solution? Lock everything to cock-all hits the local gear... Balkanise everything.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What else do I need to be safe? A paranoiac's guide to Windows safety

I have Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials running constantly, and MSE does a scheduled weekly full scan. In addition, monthly I back up my personal files and run Spybot Search & Destroy as well as Malwarebytes.

Is that about as safe as I need to be? Or is there something else I should be doing?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Is that about as safe as I need to be? Or is there something else I should be doing?

A script blocker, such as NoScript. One where any script (JavaScript, Java, Flash, plugins) must be allowed before it can run.
It can be a major pain, but it really does help.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weekly instead of monthly backups might be a thought, too, especially if you regularly accumulate a lot of new files . This could be things like subscribed podcasts you possibly want to keep, or any other kind of document, pic, video or music.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since 'up'grading to Windows 10 I've discovered that a number of settings are being changed whenever I turn off my laptop.

One is the setting that turns off the trackpad when there is a pointing device plugged in. That's really annoying.

The other is that neither Windows Defender nor Bitdefender (which should override Windows Defender) is running when I start my laptop up, and after a few minutes I get a message telling me to turn one of them on. That's worrying. I'm sure there are others.

I can't find any help through Google, not least because it's hard to know precisely what to search for.

I've got to the point where I'm considering dumping Windows 10 and going back to 8.1.

Has anyone got any advice?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've added the shortcut for Bitdefender to the start-up folder for me as a user - there are no other users on this computer - but even though it shows as a process in Task Manager as soon as I've booted up, I'm still getting the message that both Windows Defender and Bitdefender are turned off about five minutes later (and a security question about unknown publishers as soon as I turn Bitdefender on).

And even disabling the touchpad in the start-up menu (via Task Manager) has made no difference - I still have to go through Settings to manually disable it every time I boot up.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Windows 10 forums aren't recommending Bitdefender with Windows 10

Windows 10 is being very glitchy today - and the Windows 10 forums are all echoing the problems I'm having.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Thanks for that CK. Sheesh. I did my homework before choosing it too (I've always used Avast or AVG before, and the latest update of Avast is playing stupid games on my XP machine).

I guess I'll try AVG or Avira then, although it's a close run thing as to whether Bitdefender or WIndows 10 gets the boot.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm using Avira on my daughter's recommendation (who is a much better geek than me). That isn't clashing with Windows 10.

You might find the Store isn't working. It isn't for me, neither is Mail. I am not the only one, but at least that code got me into the TenForums. I'm wondering whether Windows 10 gets the boot, too, particularly when it was easier to e-mail from the tablet on 8.1 this morning.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Avira is installing as I type. [Smile]

The Store seems to be OK for me - I haven't really explored it before so I might have a browse and see if it keeps going. I don't use Windows Mail - I tried it briefly when I first had Windows 8, but I couldn't be bothered to get used to a new system and went back to Thunderbird. Starman uses it though, so I'll warn him that any problems are not soluble by him.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Serious question: is it possible to run a modern OS without ever connecting to the internet?

It seems to me the more I learn about W10, the more unlikely this seems. It appears to want to seek permission from the mothership to function at even a basic level.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Serious question: is it possible to run a modern OS without ever connecting to the internet?

It seems to me the more I learn about W10, the more unlikely this seems. It appears to want to seek permission from the mothership to function at even a basic level.

Define "modern OS." I believe when I set up my #2 computer with Linux Mint Cinnamon, I didn't need to connect to the Internet to get it done. Although it may have downloaded drivers as it went along; I'm not sure. It's difficult to imagine an installation disk that has every possible driver for every possible hardware configuration. Hence using the internet during installation.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can understand the driver issue - I remember when hardware used to come with a CD with the drivers on it, the same CDs I now use as drinks mats.

But - for the most part - if I wanted to run a stand-alone machine, for whatever reason, it seems to me to be increasingly impossible. I have a little laptop which I use for writing, and not much else, yet every time I log on to the home wifi to transfer files across, I have to leave it up and running for an hour or two while it downloads a torrent of files from MS and elsewhere.

Yes, I know I could turn all that shabazz off, but I do need to remote-internet occasionally. But it seems to me that even an isolated, stand-alone machine running say OSX, Win7 or higher, may actually refuse to work if it can't phone home once in a while.

Is this where we are now?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

TTBOMK there is no reason why you couldn't run Win 7 totally standalone, as long as you had sourced all of your drivers elsewhere and stuffed them on a USB stick etc. first.

The only caveat being you would need a connection once in order to activate it (or you need a volume licence or to go through the phone process, I suppose, but that's a PITA).

The same is true of Win 8.x

I don't know MacOS as intimately, but I would imagine the same applies.

W10 ... who knows.

What tends to get you is that more and more people are using a subscription basis for their software, and that means you need a connection to get updates, hit the licensing server and so on.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just bought a new computer, a Toshiba convertible, about the same size as my old Asus EeePc, but able to read my 64 Gb camera microSD, and to display photos MUCH more quickly. I had to shift fast, in order to have Win 8.1 with the choice of 10 later. I've seen complaints about Win 10 phoning home all the time and telling MS everything about me, but I had to disable a lot of stuff and poke around in the install to make sure I could finish without being tied to MS apron strings.

What I would like to know is - is there an app for windows which will do a similar job to Graffiti in Android? I was so pleased to find that that had been updated to work on my phone after being used to using it on my Palm Pilot. I've seen a number of handwriting entry apps for sale, but I don't want to get one and find it's no good if I have paid for it, so I need advice. I know there's a screen keyboard, but I like to use the greater fluidity of a version of handwriting. The early Research Machine tablets would do it.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ignore the above. I have found it. Not very obvious.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Just done this with it; A bit scribbly, and it isn't happy with commas, but it's quite impressive. I couldn't read some of my finger work! This is the native thing that came pre-installed.

[ 19. August 2015, 20:46: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Hey Linux Kool-Aid drinkers:

I want a video editor. I just want to take an mp4 and chunk it into smaller mp4 chunks. That's all. Here are the video editors I have tried. All failed in some way. Most just crashed when they were exporting video. Some crashed before. Some couldn't save as an mp4. It's been discouraging.

Open Shot
Avidemux
Cinelerra
LiVES
KDEnlive
jahshaka
ffmpeg
kino

What's left?

ETA: Yes, I did apt-get update before installing any of them.

I am using Mint 17.1 Cinnamon

[ 23. August 2015, 21:33: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Hey Linux Kool-Aid drinkers:

Avconv worked ok with some files I had.

But:
It's command line (which actually worked out better for what I wanted as I could could note down the start time and end while it still played, but different use cases...).

And I didn't use mp4 (it seems to be listed, though?), In a day or two can possibly check if I can. If so, will try and find some publicly available video and find options that seem to work on my PC.

And it's vaguely similar to ffmpeg, which you've tried.

I actually want to do some childish video editing (adding comments and the like), so if I find something that works really nicely I'll let you know (or if someone else has any good ideas, I might nick them)

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This
quote:

avconv -i testinput.mp4 -strict experimental -t 30 test.mp4

Did seem to work with one MP4 extension file I had. But obviously...

Fortunately when I thought it was the output you specified, it prompted before overwriting the file [Hot and Hormonal] .

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
This
quote:

avconv -i testinput.mp4 -strict experimental -t 30 test.mp4

Did seem to work with one MP4 extension file I had. But obviously...

Fortunately when I thought it was the output you specified, it prompted before overwriting the file [Hot and Hormonal] .

Thanks for looking at this for me. Can you tell it "start at time stamp xx:yy:zz and end at time stamp aa:bb:cc"?

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Yesish
I did it with start and duration*, (having to convert before the call). If I could have done it with endstamp, I would have done

Still not sure about if there's anything funny with the input/output that could cause problems.

The fact it doesn't work without the -strict experimental with .mp4 (and doesn't prompt with .ogg), seems to suggest it is genuinely putting it in some mpeg format. But also that it's taking some shortcut that could be a pain with what you need.

Similarly if the others didn't work, there may be something different between our systems. In which case they'll also be problems (though can use AVPlay in the same package to check it can see the file, possibly).

*I believe with -ss -t respectively

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

As a result of all my photo searching, I have found an enormous number of duplicates - due to my obsession with backing up, and copying from camera to storage drive, from camera to computer (several), from computers to the storage drive, and probably other processes, such as forgetting I have done it. (It applies to things other than photos, but they are the worst.)

In the past I have used Auslogics Duplicate File Finder effectively, but it won't see the powered storage drive, which is attached to the router via an ethernet cable. All the computers can see and access this thing, which is why I bought it. I tried to attach the drive to the computer via its ethernet socket, and the computer asked me if I wanted it to access the computer (Win 7). Naturally I told it to do so, but it never appeared anywhere, not even after rebooting. The message never appeared again, either.

So I need a duplicates finder which will work over the network connection. Has anyone any recommendations?

Otherwise it's down to eye-brain coordination and hours and hours of me doing the robotic stuff. The search function on Win 7 does not offer the date option found on older versions, which means I have to work in the less attractive office space on the XP machine instead, as using date limits would be helpful in a manual search.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The corollary to the above is to ask if anyone knows a way to search on Win 7 with the date of the file included as a criterion. I've got files going back to when I used 98, at least, and I don't need to search them. I could search by small cohorts of files at a time, instead of the terabytes involved at the moment.

I have got as far as reducing all the files named DSC_0001, 0002, 0003 and 0004. Some use all four digits. Then I had a panic that I didn't have a backup copy of the ones I'd cut down to one copy - but only the recent ones, created after I bought the storage thingy, when I did a complete backup onto a USB hard drive. I have no way to sort out those recent files. (Except on the old computer.)

I am currently clearing videos off a 1Tb drive that goes with the TV onto the storage thingy so that I can copy everything else onto it in return. Then carry on with the duplicates search. Then backup again to the unsorted USB drive. Then copy the videos back to the TV drive.

Meanwhile I have to prune things in the garden, weed, build a drystone wall, keep track of my accounts (I'm not looking forward to checking my bond and my NISA, both in shares)... At least I can fit those in the hours when the copying is being done.

But why can't I search by date?

Snags
# 15351

Penny S: type "date" into the search box and you'll see a search filter of "date modified" is available. You can use this to pick a date, or a range.

You might also find these search tips helpful.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

Oh, and on the duplicates front, depending on exactly how you're looking for them, check out Beyond Compare from Scooter Software. I find it invaluable at work when moving/comparing large volumes of files, and it's more than happy over a LAN connection.

There's a 30 day trial (and unless it's changed, that's 30 elapsed days of use, not 30 calendar days from install).

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Snags, thanks for both of those - I'll be trying that program shortly. In the interim after my last posting, I found a page on the net which directed me to that box in Explorer - it's in a corner I had not looked at much - I've always used the search box bottom left, where the dog used to hang out. I don't think it's very intuitive, and I just assumed that in the MS way they had decided to abandon a useful feature because they didn't use it!
And I've gone off Auslogics as they managed to install a program I didn't ask for when I updated the existing version.
Meanwhile it's just wait while I make sure I don't only have one copy of the things I deleted copies of yesterday... One of the sites I looked for duplicate identifying programs did emphasise that!

[ 25. August 2015, 09:18: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I like the look of them from their web site. And the pricing system. And that it will work on the Cloud - not that I intend to put anything up there, but many do, and will need to weed there as well. Thanks again.

I found one of the files I thought lost - a photo of a storm in a ship swimming pool - can't imagine why I didn't video it. But the lightning is lost forever. Since I have been obsessive with multiple backups, this is odd. I haven't had a clean out the clutter phase for months - you can tell I'm in one at the moment*. Have to be careful with it.

On the other hand, there's a folder on the TV drive labelled "Camera Files" which is empty. As is the "Dashcam Files" one - I know I had decided not to keep any of those. Idiot - kicks self for not checking.

[ 25. August 2015, 09:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Snags
# 15351

Long shot, but it might be worth checking "Previous Versions".

This assumes that you have shadow copy enabled on your machine, but if you right-click on a folder (or drive) and go into Properties you should have a "Previous Versions" tab. If shadow copy is enabled that will have a series of snapshots of the drive/folder contents at a particular point in time.

Depending on if it's enabled, and if it is how much storage was allocated, how much time has passed, how much you have deleted etc. you may find historic stuff that was there but has been unintentionally zapped is still recoverable.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

OK, I'm now in the position of the woman with the lost coin - rejoice with me, for that which was lost has been found. On the USB drive I copied, or thought I had copied, everything from on to the LAN device. I have found the lightning videos!

But I will copy your advice somewhere for future reference - and back it up...

Now to find the one of my original, not very big, external hard drives which has gone missing. It is in a bright blue zip bag, and not as slim as new ones, so should not have gone missing as resolutely as it has. Along with my Shakespeare, which is even thicker.

I have been keeping multiple hard drives with everything on ever since a friend had his laptop stolen on the bus, and backing up to them frequently, and deleting stuff from the machines. I was interrupted in the process of updating the missing one, did a quick "put it out of sight" and forgot where...

Snags
# 15351

At least you try to backup [Smile]

Most long in the tooth IT folk will cheerfully intone "It's not a backup until you've restored from it". Which all too often is as depressing as it sounds.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The current stage in the process is this... I have removed all the videos from the 1 Tb hard drive which usually lives with the TV to the 2 Tb Seagate Central on the router, while the 1 Tb was plugged into the Seagate. I can watch them from there anyway, as the TV can read it. (I am constantly amazed at what I can do wirelessly- printing, sitting in bed programming the TiVo box with my smartphone...Arthur C Clarke's sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic comes to mind.)

Then I have copied any folder with images in it to the I Tb. These processes have taken a day and a half. I have done random checks on files to make sure they have copied across OK. I don't use actual backup programs, because some time ago I found that they were useless if I wanted to restore files to a new computer or OS. I'd rather do it myself, and forgo the pleasures of only backing up changed files automatically. Which is, of course, why I have so many copies of things.

I am now running the Auslogics program on the 1 Tb which is currently connected to the computer, and can be seen by it.

My intention is to end up with only three copies of everything (apart from the ones in active use on the computers), on three separate external drives. The router attached one, which can be accessed by any of my computers, for regular use. A USB hard drive, regularly updated from the first, to be used if away from the WiFi, and another USB hard drive for backup for those. Each drive to have only one copy of files, instead of, as at present, multiples. Not copying to them in a hurry from computers, cameras etc without putting things in the right places should diminish that happening again. As if.

In the depths of the night, I found myself listening to a radio sitcom about Bletchley Park. In this episode, they called upon one Ian Trench, known as IT, and found him answering a call from one of the huts. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Pause. "Is it plugged in?"* Pause. "That'll be it, then." They didn't get on to backing up and restoring!

*I know they have to ask this - when in charge of the IT at school, before we had a technician, this was precisely why the Deputy Head couldn't get her monitor to work.

[ 27. August 2015, 06:15: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, here I am, non-geek, asking a question on behalf of my geeky son..... I'll use the words he used on FB so as to make sure I get it right.

quote:

Fellow computer people, please help me.. Pretty please.
I cable tied all my wires nice and neatly in my machine - it now doesn't work.
I've removed everything so I've only got essentials left and know I've got power coming in as the board has a green led indicator. I've reseated my RAM, CPU. I've attempted clearing the CMOS (without and without a battery) .Reseated the connectors in my modular power supply. Tried short the switch pins with a screwdriver. I really don't know what's next.
I've even got my mum looking for damages in wires etc and she can't even see anything.

It's a bit of a nightmare because his laptop is currently away being checked out by the insurance company because he dropped it, and he's off to uni in three weeks to start a computer course.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hang on, hang on, hang on.

Tied wires and things stopped working? If that is the case, the first suspect is surely a broken wire!

This is a sound system person rather than a computer technician but still where my instinct goes.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's done a bit more fiddling and it looks like it was a breakdown waiting to happen rather than the result of his wire-fiddling. Alas, looks as though it may be good only for parts [Frown]

quote:
The boy said....
I tested all the components and the power supply and the switch in another machine and they worked fine, which only leaves me with the rather expensive processor and the motherboard.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Does anyone know of a free email provider which does not demand connections with everything else one does - which rules out gmail and Microsoft's latest version?
I looked at Mail.com, but it has had some very negative reviews.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yahoo mail. They might ask for other connections, but they are not necessary. They do not hunt you across the globe like Google.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Yahoo is, however, frequently the subject of big security wobbles that tend to get hushed over.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016