homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PennyS

I use GMX as my main email provider. Works as webmail and I also read emails through Outlook. Works for me...

Here it is.

It seems to offer other services but I have only used their ordinary emails.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snags,
Ok, so here is the problem.
You have the big entities where security issues are publicised and small entities where they are not. In the ye olde days of the Internet, obscurity meant safety. These days, with bots scanning the 'net, it is no longer so.
So who do you think is safe?

[ 31. August 2015, 17:56: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
PennyS

I use GMX as my main email provider. Works as webmail and I also read emails through Outlook. Works for me...

Here it is.

It seems to offer other services but I have only used their ordinary emails.

http://www.shtrudel.com/ is another. I use GMX and shtrudel.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Email safety article.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you very much. Thought will be applied.

I started getting suspicious when my sister started a gmail account instead of her academic one, and it insisted on calling me by the name I had entered into the account I set up to download apps on my Android phone, and which I was unaware I had given permission to use elsewhere.
On my new Win 8.1 computer, I had to search non-intuitively to set it up without granting permissions to MS to access everything.

Then when I tried to download Google Maps, it insisted on having permission to access my contacts. That's going beyond irritating into Data Protection territory as far as I am concerned. (I can use it online, of course.)

I can't get some apps for the tablet without a MS account, and that needs an alternate email address. Aha, I thought. Gmail, only for this purpose, never to use for anything else. MS and Google can stare at each other across their servers, and all they will know is that I have downloaded a planetarium program. So, after a lot of aborted attempts, which revealed that a number of people wanted accounts which were called "No account" "Not an account" "Doivtnuocca" and suchlike, I set up the gmail one.

And lo, it popped up on my Android phone, insisting that I verify it or something before I went on. (Incidentally, I rarely use that phone as a phone - it does the job my Palm Pilot used to do.) And that phone will now not update Google Maps unless I allow access to my contacts. Who the infernal regions do they think they are?

Which is why I want something that doesn't want my soul. (I almost feel that the NSA and GCHQ are nice and cosy.)

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Snags,
Ok, so here is the problem.
You have the big entities where security issues are publicised and small entities where they are not. In the ye olde days of the Internet, obscurity meant safety. These days, with bots scanning the 'net, it is no longer so.
So who do you think is safe?

Oh, totally accepted. Although I'd dispute that security by obscurity was ever a particularly cunning strategy.

My concerns with Yahoo are difficult to articulate clearly, as they are built up from a variety of factors and inputs, and none of it amounts to anything more tangible than (a lot) of circumstantial indicators and (a reasonable amount) of semi-informed speculation. As things can be clouded by folk not being able to distinguish between actual compromsies vs. fake from addresses etc. waters are further muddied. Also, if you're huge with a lot of general users, you're going to get a lot of people who don't exactly help their own cause.

However, I've seen enough, read enough, and discussed enough with the clueful that Yahoo would not be my go-to choice for a freebie account for anything that mattered.

Naturally, the alternatives all come with their attendant issues. AOL still seem to think it's 1995. Microsoft are desperate to "do a Google" with their Microsoft Account that seeks to pervade everything. Google obviously got in first with GMail. You (don't) pays yer money and makes yer choice, and it's going to come down to which set of conditions bother one less.

Personally I used to run on-premise Exchange for work, and have our own dedicated server hosted elsewhere that handled non-work domains and accounts. These days I've migrated work to Office 365 hosted Exchange, and personal domains are all run via virtual systems on a reseller platform we maintain.

However, given the extremely low cost of registering a domain, and the availability of reliable general mail hosting also at very low cost, I can't see me ever doing anything other than maintaining a personal domain and at least a basic semi-managed email service, even if I were to jack in the current livelihood and do something better. If I did, I'd probably go to either MS or Google, and be very circumspect about the privacy settings.

For what it's worth, I do also have a range of accounts on all those systems and more, for all kinds of things. Just not for anything I particularly care about when it comes to primary communication.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Tor is desirous of a laptop - something relatively nippy, which she intends to take with her to university next September ( [Eek!] )

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. A refurbished IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, esp one of the X series for portability.

2. A Chromebook, using Google Docs (and possibly a Linux distro, e.g Mint, added via Crouton, if more versatile/serious computing is required)

3. Almost anything that is current and within your budget will do an adequate job if all that is needed is facilities for essay writing, web browsing, email and social media.

For university my three (daughter and two sons) all built their own desktop machines according to their own requirements (so they had no fear of maintaining them and no complaints about the equipment's capabilities); and alongside that each had a cheap netbook/Chromebook (fashions and technology change) that could be comfortably carried around the campus, for use in lectures/library/cafes, and made use of online storage (SpiderOak takes security seriously). Daughter used only Linux, sons prefer Windows.

No problems.

[ 08. September 2015, 12:03: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

A note regarding online storage. A problem I read about was beyond security in the theft department: data integrity.
First that what you sent and what was received are identical. Second that what was received is perfectly retained.
Perhaps I'm paranoid, but cloud storage as an additional safety measure makes sense, but not as a substitute. Backup drives are incredibly inexpensive.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heartily agree, and in the case I mention the 'online storage' is merely a convenience for current data/material when working across machines, not a means of 'safe storage', and only a 'back-up' as part of a wider strategy.

For anyone trying to put together an effective back-up regime, the old adage is that data does not properly exist until it exists in at least two preferably three copies, and one at least in a completely separate location.

As one of her student jobs my daughter worked part-time on the IT Help Desk at the university library. The trail of woebegone students who arrived at the desk having (usually irrevocably) lost the only copy of their essay, due in tomorrow, was sad to see and never ending trickle.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How I sympathise. I once had an assignment to submit to the OU. I was using - this is way back - a school BBC computer with a word-processing chip inserted in it. There was no way to load the whole essay at once, so the process was to load a part of the file, edit it, and save it to a new file. This went on automatically until the whole file had passed through the screen. In order to save space, and my memory, I only had two files. Since the essay concerned the possibility of opening up a gold mine in Wales, named the files "gold" and "mine". First I would load from "gold" and save in "mine", then reverse the process, saving the new file in the now empty "gold" file - which the computer had emptied.

Until, at 11pm, the day before it was due in, I accidentally loaded from the empty file, and watched it pour nothingness into the full file. No backup. Except early parts of the work on paper.

I worked into the small hours. I loaded the thing into the car, the huge cube of the monitor and the rest, and spent every break and the lunch hour, and then into the evening reconstituting from my brain, and I got it in in time. (Probably about 11.59 pm.)

Since then I have been a bit obsessive about backup. And while all my copies are about my house, some are very well hidden, and one I need to make easy to grab on the way out. As I will have to do with my friend's extra backup here.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having an odd problem with a Yahoo email account. Nothing was coming in or going out yesterday, and this morning I have a weird message (twice) in the inbox saying:

" Dear Mail User,
Your Mail Outgoing and Incoming is blocked. Reason : Daily Mail Bounce Count Exceeds Limit [ Bounce count=10 ]
Please follow the link below to unblock yourself:

Update Now

-------------------------------------------
This is an automated message, please do not reply to this mail
Mail Team 2015

I obviously have not clicked on the link yet! Is it safe, or what?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Without seeing the link, I conditionally advise not to click. Instead, search within yahoo's help section for that message.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have just had to take my new hybrid tablet back to the shop. It was fine when it started, but it developed a charging problem. It has two batteries, one smaller one in the tablet part, the other with twice the cells in the keyboard section. In theory, it charges the tablet first, then the keyboard. In theory, it discharges the keyboard first (if attached), and then the tablet. In theory, it lasts 12 hours, depending on ambient temperature and what it has been asked to do.

This week, it decided it wasn't going to charge the keyboard battery. Or the software that reports on the charging decided that it wasn't going to tell me that it was charged. On one occasion it did tell me that there was 100% charge on the keyboard. For five minutes, until it was unplugged. Then it was 7%.

I found it was a rare intermittent problem with previous models. I tried charging it with the tablet raised in case the position of the connection was a problem. I discharged it completely and left it plugged in without using it for 24 hours. 100% charge on the tablet, 0% on the keyboard.

So I now have a new one of the same computer. This time I am following the practice that computer companies used to suggest, and charging it for 24 hours before switching it on and getting it going. Its quick start guide suggested plugging in and starting immediately. It doesn't have a charging light anywhere.

60 hours of not using the thing is trying my patience. Then I have to remember how to start up without getting a Microsoft account, which requires searching around various non-intuitive screens.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not so much a translation request here as asking for advice...

I'm going to get myself a tablet (an Android one) putting my birthday Amazon vouchers towards it. Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

I was initially thinking of a Kindle Fire, but it doesn't seem to appear on any "best android tablets" lists anywhere (although my having Amazon Prime might add value in my case?).

I'm thinking I'd quite like it to be running Lollipop (because it's what my phone has), and I'll mainly be using it for browsing - although I might start to use it for Netflix/amazon video/BBC iPlayer (radio and TV), which I can't really do on my elderly laptop (and it is elderly, and getting creaky - it's a MacBook 1.1. I think it's from 2002. Maybe 2001? It's from the very first generation of 13 inch MacBooks when they took over from iBooks).

Tablets that look from reading articles like this like they might be in the running are (in no particular order):
Kindle Fire
Tesco Hudl 2
Sony Xperia Z (except it's more expensive)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Oh - and another question (sorry, getting greedy now) - can I use my iTunes on an Android device? I don't think there's an app - I don't have one on my phone, but then I've not really looked. Or can I play the tracks I've downloaded from iTunes on an Android device?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Nexus 7. Fab tablet, reasonable price.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen a lot of good reviews of the Nexus 7 - but I'm kind of thinking I might like to virtually replace my MacBook with this new Tablet, whatver it is I get, and I'd like it to last a while. Am I right in thinking that the Nexus 7 is a couple of years old now - and also, it might be a bit little in terms of screen size to do the job of a laptop. It doesn't have much storage either, and there's nowhere to stick a micro-SD card in it, as far as I understand. I was thinking I'd quite like to put my music collection onto it.

The one that's currently grabbing me is Sony Xperia Z4, but might I be just as well living with a smaller screen and slightly less spec and getting its predecessor the Z3?

I'm still wondering about the Kindle Fire too - I have Amazon Prime (I know, that probably makes me a bad person by default), but it might make sense to tie it in. I'm also seeing that most of the reviews say the iPad Air 2 is simply the best tablet out there. I've liked my MacBook (even though its creakiness now drives me bonkers), but my phone's Android - does it make sense to match my phone and my tablet?

I'm finding it really hard to decide. I've got nearly £200 of accumulated Amazon vouchers, and I've just had a promotion at work that gave me a small raise - so I can about afford the Xperia, but it's a lot of money, and I don't want to spend it unwisely, and as I've had over a decade of use out of my MacBook, I want to get at least a decent innings out of whatever Tablet I buy.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't recommend a Kindle Fire as you will find it very limiting. It won't run a lot of things, from memory I don't think it will work with any Apple apps like itunes and it won't talk to Google.

If you are looking for something that will work like an ipad you will be very disappointed with a Kindle Fire.

I think you will find that Amazon Prime will run on other tablets/laptops.

Personally I also find the ipad a bit limiting, there are some things I do that don't work on it. I don't think it is just a tablet version of a Macbook. But that is just my opinion. I have a friend with a Macbook and an ipad and she has to have both. She couldn't manage with just the ipad.

I don't think you need to have the same system on your phone as on your tablet/laptop.

I love my my Surface 3. It does everything and works as a tablet and a laptop. The Kindle reading app is not such a good experience as on the ipad though.

It is not cheap though and you have to buy the keyboard separately, it is not included in the price.

I'm not sure if you will find a tablet that will do everything a laptop will do at a tablet price!

Maybe get a small laptop?

I've been having a conversation about phones with a friend recently and we have come to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to have one thing that does everything and you either have to have more than one piece of kit or decide what is most important in terms of function and live without the rest.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have just bought a Toshiba Click Mini. It is netbook sized, and the screen pops out of its dock to be used as a tablet, or pops in to use the keyboard. It is running Win 8.1. The first one I had had battery problems. It has SD and microSD sockets, plus a mini USB socket, and a normal USB socket. That, and the SD are in the keyboard, leaving only the smaller sockets in the tablet. I had been using an Asus Eeepc netbook, so the small size isn't a bother. It's sturdy and seems to do what I wanted it for - mainly accessing the Gb sizes of camera cards, and flicking through the photos quickly. I use OpenOffice on it for typing things out and so on.

Specs on this page

[ 19. September 2015, 22:26: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I've seen a lot of good reviews of the Nexus 7 - but I'm kind of thinking I might like to virtually replace my MacBook with this new Tablet, whatver it is I get, and I'd like it to last a while.

No tablet, not even the new iPad "Pro" fully replaces a computer.* They do not run full programs.

*Yes, pedants, I know that tablets are technically computers, but you know what I mean.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Ah, I'd wondered about the Fire's tie down to Amazon. Yeah, that sounds like it's too restricting.

So, the iPad Air or an Android, maybe the Xperia (I don't like Windows, and although I've not used the windows OS for phones or tablets, that puts me off).
If I go iPad, it'll mean I have to re-find all the apps I have, although most of them are free, and there are actually one or two apps I'd like that are not available for Android devices.

It sounds like the Xperia might have a fair bit of bloatware, how's the iPad foot that? And will an iPad get arsey with my using gmail? Also, there's no way of expanding the storage on an iPad, is there? Although I guess I could plug in a hard drive if I needed to.

I'm planning on keeping my MacBook. It can stagger through word processing and stuff, so it wouldn't have to completely replace the laptop, hence why I said I wanted to "virtually replace" it.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sony is like Apple and very good at holding your hand in case you get into difficulties. Unfortunately if you are the sort of person who likes to do things differently then both are a pain.

Oh I am banned from Apple at work (I break them in impossible ways*). I had an Xperia and it would not link to work network because of the hand holding.

Jengie

*Well actually only one and that a long time ago, nobody has dared to let me loose since.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

@luvanddaisies
The iPad is certainly the slickest in terms of usability; you just have to know that Apple's 'walled garden' approach and the apps that are available fit your needs.

By all accounts the Xperia Z4 is a very decent bit of hardware, and in my experience Sony are quite light on 'bloatware' these days compared to many other suppliers. In fact you are less likely to find much to offend you on a tablet, compared with a phone where the ISP is often responsible for adding unwanted junk that cannot be removed.

So, if you know that Android's slightly more hairy user interface and security situation, and apps 'jungle', is okay for you then you will probably find the Xperia will serve you well.

It's definitely true that unless your needs are confined largely to 'consumption', and not much in the way of serious productivity software, then a tablet will not realistically replace a laptop (or desktop)---it's much more a convenient complement.

As always it's horses for courses, only you can know what your needs and abilities require.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and it's a nice device, the newer model is nicer. However I bought a Hudl 2 with some clubcard points and I use that now. I like it because it has a bigger screen and a slot for SD cards - which was handy when I flew to Australia and could take my own selection of videos to watch, music and podcasts to listen to.

I can't honestly say I've surveyed the market and know what's the best out there but the Hudl seems reasonable.

I'm also not sure about any tablet as a laptop replacement.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ipad is suitable for general office use and internet browsing. I find the lack of mouse the biggest limit to what I can do with it. I can use my ipad as my primary computer turning to my macbook maybe once a week or if I want to play games.

Mum has a Windows tablet that I quite like and doesn't feel like the operating system is what would prevent me from using as my primary computer unlike the Android tablets I've played with.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
(I don't like Windows, and although I've not used the windows OS for phones or tablets, that puts me off).

Too bad, Windows has the absolute best mobile interface yet devised, IMO. In truth, Ios and Android feel like icon containers more than OS'. The newest version of either are a significant step forward, but still behind Microsoft.
quote:

It sounds like the Xperia might have a fair bit of bloatware, how's the iPad foot that?

Not terrifically. Like all devices I have used, you only get a portion of the stated storage available, even before installing your own apps, adding music or taking photos. And there is a persistent "other" chuck of space that cannot be freed directly.

quote:

And will an iPad get arsey with my using gmail?

I do not think so. But it does not work perfectly with yahoo.
quote:

Also, there's no way of expanding the storage on an iPad, is there? Although I guess I could plug in a hard drive if I needed to.

There are wifi solutions as well, but nothing built in.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:

The iPad is certainly the slickest in terms of usability;

Horses for courses, of course, but you are still wrong. [Biased]
Windows current mobile OS is the slickest. I would give a slight nod to Apple over Android, but much of that is familiarity, I think. I use my iPad more than my Nexus 7 because of the larger screen and because the apps I have for my iPhone are also available for the iPad.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It sounds like the Xperia might have a fair bit of bloatware, how's the iPad foot that?

Not as bad as the iphone. It comes with, and can't be deleted from it, Facetime, Calendar, Photos, Camera, Contacts, Clock, Maps, Video, Notes, Reminders, Photo Booth, Game Centre, Itunes Store, App Store, iBooks, Tips, Podcasts, Find Friends, Messages, Mail, Safari, and Music.
quote:
And will an iPad get arsey with my using gmail?

At the moment Gmail isn't a problem but there was a stretch of time where you couldn't send gmail from the native app and had to have the third party app.
quote:
I'm planning on keeping my MacBook. It can stagger through word processing and stuff, so it wouldn't have to completely replace the laptop, hence why I said I wanted to "virtually replace" it.

If your macbook can run Yosemite or higher and supports the handover feature then I'd say go for an ipad because it gets massively more functional in combination.

Otherwise I'd agree with lilBuddha get a Windows tablet if you want to use it more like a laptop than a phone.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a way of permanently turning off Track Changes in Word 2013 so that it only shows when I want it to? At the moment my CV is completely red, and track changes is on every time I open it - plus it likes to get emailed to people in that state!

It's a PITA - can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can get it to show no markup, but I'd like it to open like that.

Thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
"I'm planning on keeping my MacBook. It can stagger through word processing and stuff, so it wouldn't have to completely replace the laptop, hence why I said I wanted to "virtually replace" it."

I found the usefulness of my ipad increased a thousand fold when I got a good keyboard for it. I don't like onscreen keyboards. I got an ultra thin logitech keyboard for ipad air which doubles as a stand and case. It makes it heavier but much easier to use. It is expensive but well worth it. I tried a cheap version and it was a total waste of money.

[ 21. September 2015, 11:48: Message edited by: Thyme ]

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Is there a way of permanently turning off Track Changes in Word 2013 so that it only shows when I want it to? At the moment my CV is completely red, and track changes is on every time I open it - plus it likes to get emailed to people in that state!

It's a PITA - can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can get it to show no markup, but I'd like it to open like that.

Thanks,

AG

On the Review ribbon, in the Changes section Accept the changes, either individually or all at once. This should rid the document of all the red text.

In order to stop it happening again Press the Track Changes button in the Tracking section.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, thank you! That almost works - for some reason I'm left with three comment visible in the margin, but it's a huge improvement.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comments are a different beast!!

There should be a 'Delete' button on the Comments section - just to the left of Tracking.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bingo - thank you very much!

AG

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I went for an iPad Air 2 in the end - it's rather gorgeous. It arrived today from Amazon, and I'm rather in love with it. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments here [Smile]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I think you'll love it. Thanks for the update.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump*
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Is the Yahoo! e-mail/account login currently being hacked from Iran?

I've got Firefox, latest updates, with the Flagfox add-on, which displays a little flag in the address bar, identifying the country where the server you're trying to access is located. Today, and with quite some shock, I've discovered that there's no longer the US or UK flag, but the Iranian one.

Geotool, one of the Flagfox built-in IP lookups, shows the IP as 188.125.80.13, located in Iran. Apparently, I'm not the only one who noticed this - see TinyURL link. In this link, there is a further link to a screenshot which shows this, including the Iranian IP address. This is exactly the same IP addy I am being diverted to.

According to cnet from 2011 (link), sites like Yahoo, Google or Skype may indeed have been attacked or their login credentials faked by Iranian hackers.

Questions:

1. Can anyone else replicate this? (I've tried on different computers, from home and work: the same.)
2. How can I contact Yahoo mail to tell them my (and the first link's, above) observations?
3. What do I do? Shall I still log into the Iranian hacked site and change my password(s)?

This is pretty annoying. Please advise!

Thanks!

Finally a good outcome to the above, posted in May 2015: after several months of an Iranian server for the log-in (but apparently owned by Yahoo...!), everything has reverted back to a UK server.

Interestingly, a national cybercrime unit I got in touch with were able to replicate the Iran problem. It definitely wasn't just me. However, they didn't know why this was happening. It was some German cyber blogger who did some investigating: he suspected that Yahoo had indeed their own server in Iran, and probably in order to comply with Iranian legal procedures - but which would also allow the Iranian authorities to closely monitor Yahoo traffic and possibly messages.

His conclusion seems to be supported by the fact that I never received any reply or comment from Yahoo on this. (In my experience, they normally react quickly to other complaints.)

At the time being: problem solved.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Feckfeckfeck!

I've just discovered that Word is still putting some markup - vertical lines down the left hand side of the page - into my CV when I save as a PDF. How do I get rid, please?

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Anyone? This is important!

AG

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

I think you need to look at the Track Changes Option. (small Arrow on Track Changes Button, second item in list)

There is a Markup Section with options for Changed Lines. Appears to default to Outside Border.

I think this is what is causing the problem....

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks. I'll have ago and report back.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Nope, I just get two options - Track Changes and Lock Tracking, which sets a password. This is Word 2013, could be a version thing?

AG

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

Possibly - I have Word 2010.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bother, thank you for trying, anyone with 2013 who can beat this? It's not making my CV look good...

AG

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got 2013 here. I can PM you an email address and you can send me a copy to fiddle with, if you want? I'm not convinced it's necessarily a Track Changes thing, but am not sure enough as to what it might be to be able to sort it without experimentation.

Alternatively, rather than using Word's Save As PDF which produces quite bulky PDFs, have you tried printing to a PDF printer (e.g. PDFill or CuteWriter)?

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

OK, I got some help here:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-track-changes-d030a297-bf8e-451b-8e6d-2e40728dc45b

I know, I know, but how many people actually find Microsoft help useful?

and it seems that I can eliminate the little buggers by using File > Info > Check for issues . Inspect document.

Thank goodness for that!

AG

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
how many people actually find Microsoft help useful?

There's the story of the helicopter pilot who found himself beset by a sudden roll-in of fog and so was drawn considerably off course. When the fog finally lifted, he had no idea of where he was. But he saw that he was immediately outside an office building and could see people inside. So he made a sign that read "Where am I?" and held it up for the people to read. The people made their own sign and held it up for him: "You are in a helicopter." "Ah," the pilot thought, "I'm outside of Microsoft headquarters!"

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have ordered my first Amazon Fire- my first pad of any kind. And I don't even have a smartphone so I don't even know how to download apps, music, anything onto one! [Eek!] Does anyone have suggestions for books or tutorials that would help a sixty year old, total neophyte get started on one?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

I know, I know, but how many people actually find Microsoft help useful?

I find the help for most software horrible. Most answers are found in their, or other, forums. This might be by design; free outsourcing of their Help departments.
Regarding Microsoft directly, at least they do not yell at their customers for failing to adapt to the product's shortcomings.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I have ordered my first Amazon Fire- my first pad of any kind. And I don't even have a smartphone so I don't even know how to download apps, music, anything onto one! [Eek!] Does anyone have suggestions for books or tutorials that would help a sixty year old, total neophyte get started on one?

Lyda*Rose - assuming location CA is for California, US Amazon has a range of 'Dummies' books.

What I always buy when I've got a new bit of kit!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016