homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Tony. My Fire will be the new Amazon Fire 7 (not HD) but I imagine the advice in Dummies will still generally apply.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help linux gurus! I can't print. I copied the ppd file from my older linux puter to my new one, and the old one prints just fine, but the new one refuses and says "Out of ink." There's nothing on the printer screen that says anything about ink. I think it's a bogus error messsage and something else is going on. But of course getting usable, timely online help for Linux is only slightly less difficult than finding an original owner's manual for a 17th century sword.

If I can't get this thing to print I'm going to have to go back to Windows, because a computer I can't print from is worthless. Help me, Obi Wan.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well now it doesn't say out of ink, just "there was a problem processing document [document name]." Perhaps that's an improvement. Still can't print though, so not really.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not that I'm using Linux any more, but when I did swap between Linux machines, there were a series of hoops to getting the printers to work (not helped by using different versions of Linux on each machine).

- find the printer drivers in the repository
- that downloaded HP drivers too, for an Epson printer and for some reason the Linux machine needed HP stuff downloaded
- go through the three different programmes to check that the printer was switched on in each and every one and make sure there was nothing else lurking.

(current Windows machine talks to same printer by wireless, so I can print from anywhere in the flat and externally if I can be bothered and set it up, from my phone, laptop and tablet)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I can't imagine why, if I do the exact same thing on both machines, it shouldn't work in both cases. There must be something (I'm thinking) about the setup of the one computer that is sufficiently different to prevent printing. Something that interferes somehow with the printing process, or the installation process (to glitch it).

It's probably something simple and benign if I could find a person who has dealt with it and fixed it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well, I said "screw it" and installed Windows. Life's too short, and I have work to do that requires a printer and reliable software. I will wait to go Linux until it grows up into an adult operating system that's usable by people who aren't 35 year old males sitting in their underwear in their mother's basement writing BASH scripts to make the CD Rom tray go in and out.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How have the mighty fallen!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Well, I said "screw it" and installed Windows. Life's too short, and I have work to do that requires a printer and reliable software. I will wait to go Linux until it grows up into an adult operating system that's usable by people who aren't 35 year old males sitting in their underwear in their mother's basement writing BASH scripts to make the CD Rom tray go in and out.

[Killing me]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone tell me what the difference would be between; buying a steam machine, and a barebone and adding a beefed up graphics card ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief - what's the printer, and which distro are you/were you using?

It's 4-5 years since I've had to mess around with PPDs, but then I choose my printers to work with Linux. Until manufacturers generally start offering drivers for Linux (which, to be fair, quite a few more do these days) it's always going to be a lottery hoping a random printer will be supported.

For anyone wondering: HP printers are pretty well universally supported through the HPLIP driver, which on many distros comes already installed; Epson are not too bad; Canon are notoriously rubbish (unless there's been a recent transformation); and everyone else is variable (my Kyocera laser ptr. works beautifully, but requires a download from Kyocera).

Visit: http://www.openprinting.org/printers/ if you want to check the current status of your printer's support with Linux.

Almost anything that is fully/mostly supported will have its driver automatically supplied through the CUPs printing system, so to that extent the days of wrangling PPDs are long gone.

Anyone thinking of moving away from the Windows 10 panopticon and trying Linux for a bit more control should definitely do their research, and remind themselves continually that 'Linux is not Windows'. To be honest running Linux these days is generally no more troublesome than running Windows or OS-X, i.e. somewhat, but different---it takes getting used to, but one thing is for sure: anyone who tells you you have to use a 'command line' all the time (or even at all) is well behind the times or not being honest. Distros like Ubuntu, Mint, or SUSE are all perfectly usable as 'point-and-click' systems.

Have fun :-)

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was using Linux until earlier this year, most recently Magiea, (based on Mandriva) preceded by Cinnamon (a version of Mint) on one machine and Pear, which was a Apple look alike based on Debian, on a very ancient laptop.

All three were like using Windows or Apple when they were set up, and much easier to download programmes so long as I went through the repository. I can and did go into the command lines, occasionally, but I've done that on Windows machines too (recently to sort out problems with work computers).

I was running first an HP then an Epson printer off all three Distros. I had to download CUPS and HPLIP to run both printers - and I had to go into both programmes on occasion to get the printer working, but not at command line, just the through the menu, as I would with Microsoft machines. CUPS downloaded HPLIP automatically as part of the upload. And to get the Epson working with Windows 10 I had to download the right drivers (as I had to for the Brother at work and Windows 7 to get it to scan recently).

My big problem with the Linux distros, other than the machines both eventually died, was lack of compatibility with Microsoft documents with a lot of formatting, so I couldn't switch between machines for work stuff and the one that really upset me was that I couldn't easily complete online application forms because they were set up in Word with flashy formatting which fell apart when opened in .ods. Linux is fine if you don't want to use stuff from other places seriously, but if you're running anything else that others are using it's tough.

I am enjoying the way all my Windows phone, tablet and laptop synchronise calendars and could synchronise a lot more if I set it all up in cloud, which is practically impossible to organise in Linux in the same way.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I completely agree with you about the compatibility issues, but for philosophical reasons I am willing to live with it. To often 'incompatibility' isn't a sign of Linux being inferior or wilfully 'different', but of proprietorial corporate interests determined to lock-in their customers/prey as hard as they can. their interest is directly opposed to enabling compatibility and maximising their revenue stream, even if that means hindering (even opposing) the free and legal exchange of data.

I support 'Free/Open Source Software' because of the 'freedom' it stands for and seeks to enable.; and the way it stands against the attempts to make users into into just customers (which is fine), but prisoners of other people's agendas and motives.

For that reason I am more than willing to live with the (for me relatively minor) downsides, e.g. occasional lack of compatibility and absence of particular software packages. In practice I find there are almost always usable workarounds.

But it's horses for courses, and clearly some of us will have use cases that demand use of Windows/OS-X, fair enough.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I miss the control of Linux distros. The fact that I chose what to update and download when I wanted to, rather than the Microsoft's control of Windows 10 when it is practically impossible to turn some things off, and takes paying attention to not leave it open to the wind when setting up.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Can anyone tell me what the difference would be between; buying a steam machine, and a barebone and adding a beefed up graphics card ?

Not a Linux person, but from what I've read it depends on what you want.
Steam OS is made for games. It is more an HTPC than a general use computer. So, if general use is your purpose, than another Linux distro will likely be more advantageous.
If you are just concerned about the hardware end, Steam Machines are highly variable, so you would need to do a unit by unit comparison.
Here is a link to 14 different options.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
Mousethief - what's the printer, and which distro are you/were you using?

Mint Cinnamon 17.1, and Epson WorkForce WF-2650.

quote:
I support 'Free/Open Source Software' because of the 'freedom' it stands for and seeks to enable.; and the way it stands against the attempts to make users into into just customers (which is fine), but prisoners of other people's agendas and motives.

For that reason I am more than willing to live with the (for me relatively minor) downsides, e.g. occasional lack of compatibility and absence of particular software packages. In practice I find there are almost always usable workarounds.

I like the idea of open source. But inability to print is not a minor downside, it's a deal-breaker for a middle-school math(s) teacher. Also my main tool for work does not come in a free Linux version (SMART Notebook™).

[ 26. October 2015, 01:36: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And like I said, I found a driver (ppd), and it works for one of my two machines, but not the other.

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Mousethief, as far as I can see your printer should be fully supported through a driver - 'ESC/P-R' - supplied as part of the CUPS system, so your problem does seem somewhat esoteric.

Sympathy is little help, but I feel your pain, and fully appreciate the necessity of finding something that works, including installing a different OS, when it comes to printing!

Someone with a more in depth knowledge may have a simple/complicated solution, but at the moment your solution looks like the 'best' one.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Not a Linux person, but from what I've read it depends on what you want.
Steam OS is made for games. It is more an HTPC than a general use computer. So, if general use is your purpose, than another Linux distro will likely be more advantageous.
If you are just concerned about the hardware end, Steam Machines are highly variable, so you would need to do a unit by unit comparison.
Here is a link to 14 different options.

I suppose what I am asking is whether a steam machine is just a clever rebrand of a small form factor pc, that you could get as a barebone and add souped up components, or whether they'd be worth buying.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

I think you are on the right track there. 'Steam Machine' is like a reference specification for manufacturers to produce kit that meets Steam's gaming requirements; with Steam also producing their own kit, rather as Google do with the Nexus phones/tablets.

So, if you are happier having something that 'just works' out of the box then paying the premium for a 'Steam Machine' will be the way to go. OTOH, if you prefer the fun of putting together your own system you may(!?) save some money, but you will hopefully have fun and come out with something tailored to your particular needs/desires.

It's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to deciding which is the most cost effective route; just depends on individual requirements.

[ 26. October 2015, 08:52: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thinking of getting a TV streaming device and hesitating between the Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV stick. Has anyone had experience of either of these, what problems have you had, what can you recommend please?

[ 10. November 2015, 15:06: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do Excel macros take up so much space? I had a spreadsheet that was about 250 KB in size, and then I wrote a macro to help me fill it in. The macro was only about 200 lines of code, but the file ballooned to about 5 MB.

I would have thought that the code itself wouldn't take up much more space than a plain-text file of equivalent length (i.e. not much), and surely the gubbins that makes the macro work is stored somewhere in Excel the programme, rather than in the individual file. So what do all the megabytes do?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prompted by a "what would you save if your house caught fire?" question, I am contemplating scanning various documents and putting them into a private dropbox file.

I'm thinking of things like my degree certificates, PVG certificate etc. Possibly other documentation.

What is safe to put on the cloud in a private dropbox file? Is there any risk of identity theft? The alternative would be to scan and save onto a disc to be kept at my parents' house, but that might get tidied away and vanish.

Currently I have several hundred photos on dropbox, but nothing else.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can, of course, buy fireproof boxes such as these for precisely that reason.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about certificates of baptism / church membership / ownership of a burial plot / boiler warranty?
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
You can, of course, buy fireproof boxes such as these for precisely that reason.

The more I thought about it, the more bits of paper it occurred to me would be handy to have scanned and saved. My list so far wouldn't fit into that box!
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

So, the best option would be to scan, save onto a disc or data stick, and then store that in a fireproof box?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think if I was doing it I would use a professional backup company such as Carbonite rather than something aimed at sharing.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
So, the best option would be to scan, save onto a disc or data stick, and then store that in a fireproof box?

...and keep your backups up to date. Good CDs or DVDs are probably good for a couple of decades or more, but don't expect to be able to read one in 50 years time.

A decent usb stick might last decades (but will you have a computer with usb in decades)

At some level, it's hard to beat paper [Smile]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
At some level, it's hard to beat paper [Smile]

Actually it's only relatively recently that we've been able to make paper that lasts. If you have any paperbacks from the 60s, 70s or 80s you might be surprised how much they've deteriorated.

If you want long term storage you've got to look into stone tablets! [Biased]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's 20th century paper. Paper from 1600 or so is just fine. (no acid)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

We (Josephine and I) have books from the 18th and 19th centuries that show no signs of deterioration. It was when we (as a book-creating culture) switched to cheap wood pulp from cotton that paper started rotting between the boards. Which is why we (as a book-creating culture) need to move from wood pulp to hemp for the mass of paper production. But that's a story for another day.

[ 19. November 2015, 03:16: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
That's 20th century paper. Paper from 1600 or so is just fine. (no acid)

I am presuming that NEQ is not quite old enough to have degree certificates from the 1600s.

I would broadly concur that using a sharing platform is probably not a good idea. As well as other things, if you are not paying for it, they could decide to stop supporting it for you, and your data would be lost.

A paid for provider of secure storage would be a better bet for these sorts of crucial documents. The idea of scanning them is and saving a copy that way is very forward thinking, so make sure that your storage is also forward thinking. It is like an online bank security box - you pay something for it, and the bank takes responsibility for it. If you pay nothing for it, then you get what you pay for.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Re secure online storage.

Dropbox may have cleaned up its act, but security has not been its strong suit.

Have a look at Tresorit, which offers client side encryption, is based in Switzerland, and offers 3GB of free storage. https://tresorit.com/

Other services are also available.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm hoping this may be a simple question for someone, but it's got me fooled, which isn't too difficult when it comes to technology.

I've got some photos I took on my phone Alcatel C1 which appear in the photos application, or gallery. If I touch them I can see file names like 20141109_0857.jpg. But if I mount this phone as usb external storage on my computer, and search the removable drive E in windows explorer, these file names are not found in any directory.

Many other file names are found so it can see the phone's file system. I would really like to upload these photos but I can't find them ! Any ideas ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Moonlitdoor,

Your phone uses (I think) the Android operating system, manufacturers are free (to some extent) to do their own thing when it comes to where they put things in the file system, but we'll assume Alcatel have left well alone.

Try looking for a Folder called 'storage', or 'sdcard' (sdcard may be numbered, e.g. sdcard0).

Inside this folder you should look for a folder called 'DCIM' (short for 'Digital Camera Images').

Inside 'DCIM' there may be several folders, but one of them will probably/hopefully have what you are looking for.

You could just try getting Windows File Explorer to search for 'DCIM', but as you have seen the results may not be helpful.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moonlitdoor - I had a similar confusion a while ago and solved it by realising that my phone has two distinct storage areas, one being in the phone itself and the other being on the MicroSD card - and they don't really seem to talk to one another. If you can't find it in one it is probably in the other.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sorry moonlitdoor, I keep forgetting to try attaching my Alcatel phone to my Windows laptop. I'll try to look over the weekend. (Last time I did this was on Linux laptops the photos off that phone being not worth bothering with).

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This might help? --> Alcatel C1 resource page. (I guess the C1 POP is not too dissimilar.)

Pp. 84-86 in the pdf manual seem relevant. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My photos are worth bothering with to me, CK, not because of their quality as pictures, but they are of the poppy exhibition at the Tower of London, and I should be sorry to lose them.

There is a directory called DCIM in the root of the phone file system as it appears in windows explorer. That has some pictures in it but not any of the ones that appear in the Gallery application.

There is also a sdcard0 directory, but according to windows explorer, that doesn't have any files in it at all.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Moonlitdoor - As Android is basically a Linux kernel, with Google's own software stack on top, it's likely that the extra storage defined by 'sdcard0' is set up using a filing system that Windows doesn't recognise (probably 'ext4').

If you can install 'Wifi File Explorer' on your phone - http://tinyurl.com/bodva6q - and follow the pretty straightforward instructions, you should be able to access the contents of 'sdcard0' - where you are likely to find another 'DCIM' folder - through your web browser and download the photographs you are after.

I can't guarantee this is where your pictures are, but the Album/Gallery program doesn't normally shift stuff around, it just trawls the file system logging where picture files are located so it can display them.

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

And just for the record: the reason manufacturers have taken to using a non-Windows filing system on internal storage is because Microsoft demands a licence fee payment for using their 'FAT' filing system.

If the manufacturer uses a non-removable micro-sd card for extra storage they can use any filing system they like, and one of the open source Linux systems - like 'EXT4' - incurs no extra cost. Which given the razor thin margins a lot of phones are sold at makes a valuable difference to the manufacturer's bottom line.

If you want to blame anyone blame Microsoft for being so one eyed as to refuse to recognise other widely used filing systems. EXT4 is robust, efficient and widely used - outside the Windows world, obviously!

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good thinking re the missing piece of software!

In fact, in my link above, there is some dedicated Alcatel-own brand software to download, named 'SmartSuite'. This should normally work.

quote:
It is a powerful software with which you can manage phonebook, SMS, logo, ring tone and other files of your mobile phone simply and easily by PC.
Worth a try, meseems.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

And one more, for the road - Moonlitdoor, if you open one of the photographs in Album/Gallery and tap on the picture a range of options should appear.

On my phone one of those is the 'menu' icon - three dots in a vertical row. Tap on this and one of the options that appears is 'Details'. Tap that and amongst the information is the file path indicating the location of the picture in the phone's file system.

The one I am looking at now says: /storage/emulated/0/Edited/photograph.jpg

I hope that helps, all the best in your quest.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

many thanks Alisdair, the wifi file explorer has shown a number of directories which Windows explorer did not, including one with these photos in it, and I have downloaded them successfully.

I am very grateful to you as I would not have managed that without your help.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone help me? In the past, I have been able to display Google books on my computer (or, at least, sections of them).

Now, if I try to do this, I get the headings and can click on the contents list, but the bit of the page where the text should be displayed is blank.

I am not registered for Google Play - is this the root of my problem? My browser is the most recent version of IE.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know the answer to Baptist Trainfan's question:

quote:
Can anyone help me? In the past, I have been able to display Google books on my computer (or, at least, sections of them).

Now, if I try to do this, I get the headings and can click on the contents list, but the bit of the page where the text should be displayed is blank.

I am not registered for Google Play - is this the root of my problem? My browser is the most recent version of IE.

Ta v m

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know but my first thought would be to either use an alternative browser, or to add the 'site' in question to IE's Compatibility View, as it's potentially just a browser rendering issue.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The question is, though, why would it have suddenly stopped working? I've checked to see if it could be a result of any recent Windows updates, but there aren't any.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I added Google to the Compatibility View - it works! Thank you.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why this happens?

Because the browsers developers are constantly "improving" them and compatibility comes a poor second to "improvements".

I think the scare quotes are self-explanatory in this context.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016