homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I'm thinking of getting a TV streaming device and hesitating between the Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV stick. Has anyone had experience of either of these, what problems have you had, what can you recommend please?

Can anyone help with this question of mine please? I would really like to get one device or the other before Christmas.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do a search on something like 'best tv streaming 2015' and read the reviews.

AFAIK, the most common problem seems to concern devices maintaining a good connection. The 'stick' type can end up losing signal from the router because the TV ends up blocking the signal, hence some of them being supplied with a stand-off cable to allow better positioning.

Of the stick type the Amazon Fire (2015) seems okay, but for something with more power and capability have a look at the Roku 2 (2015), which isn't much more expensive, but offers rather more.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really like my Chromecast. I actually built a media PC to run Plex because of it. But I also use it for Netflix, Youtube, NowTV (SKY channels), Google Play content.

I've actually found it really reliable. I have heard of people having WiFi issues but my router is right next to my TV in any case.

The Fire Stick has the advantage of having its own remote rather than using your phone. Although for me that's another remote to lose whereas I always know where my phone is. [Smile]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's the easiest way to stop Google Chrome doing auto-updates - I have it on my pc but I hardly ever use it and it effectively stops activity for some minutes while doing this. There are no options in the Settings menu.

The internet seems to think editing the registry is the way forward but I don't want to do this.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-DEL and choosing Start Task Manager.

When Task Manager opens, click the Services tab.

In the lower right corner, click the Services button.

Scroll down and you will see two Google Update services. Double-click each, and for the Startup Type choose Disabled.

Click the X in the upper right corner to close Services.

Likewise, close Task Manager.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for that, that sounds straightforward enough (so long as there aren't other processes that rely on these). Will give that a go.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016