homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My radiators are relentless heat demons put on earth to roast me alive.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine are all from Laodicea. On a good day.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At some point in history, it was decreed that every radiator in the city of Boston would be stuck on at full blast, and the only way to regulate the heat would be to open the windows to let in some cold air.

Efficient!

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah. Hereabouts we're permitted to regulate our central heating.

I could turn mine up, but then I'd be kept awake by the whirring sound as the meter clocks up a bill the approximate size of GNP of Bolivia.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Do you have electric heating? I have steam heating, which means the landlord has to pay for the heating oil for the central boiler.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Gas. Plus I am the owner of this fine example of uninsulated 1920s jerry-build *. I am thus free to spend winters huddled under 15 cardigans while paying a small fortune for such whispers of heat find their way through the pipework**.

*nice period features though.
**put in 25 years ago by previous owner, who was a Bodger.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Could you have a go at insulating the pipes yourself? It's a pretty straight forward dealie.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Cohorts of energy efficiency advisers have retired defeated by our house. The solution is Live Somewhere Else.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Ah, sorry to hear that. Have you tried arbitrary fits of rage? Sometimes that helps.

In the United States, they have heaters fed with corn which, so I hear, can heat a large space quite cheaply. An electric device, which draws hardly any electricity at all, drops kernels of maize on a fire one by one. They make a similar jobber using wood pellets instead of food, if that makes you feel less guilty.

[ 13. November 2013, 17:53: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze

You too live in a house without cavity walls, then?

There is a solution - but I don't think the government scheme will cover it.

You need to apply solid insulation to the walls: either by battening out inside and then insulating between the battens before plasterboarding over; or by battening the outer walls, applying insulation and then there is either a pre-fabricated panel system or have something like cedar cladding or even traditional brick.

Polystyrene insulation attached to the bottom of the floor joists and then infill with rockwool will help too.

If you have crittal windows then there are replacements made that will take double-glazed units. If you're not in a conservation area just replace the windows. If stuck with the crittal then have secondary glazing.

The government scheme is all based on people having standard double-layer construction: anything out of the norm isn't covered.

My commiserations. We can't insulate much either: the outside route is barred because the house is listed and the inside method would leave us with rooms so small as to be unusable.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I don't want to commandeer this thread for my house-heating problems. It's a totally first-world problem, of choosing to live in a property both old and large.

We will probably move in the next year or so (for other reasons) and look for something modern and insulated and poky.

So, let's move away from the bottom of the escalator and let the folk with questions off.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
can anyone recommend an english translation of Gilgamesh that would be easily accessible to a bright but easily bored 12 year old?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze: we have two of these, one for backup in the main house and one as my soul source of heat in the tent. they're expensive up front but it's worth it, as they pump out an exceptional amount of heat. When I ran out of fuel oil last winter, it heated my whole (small, 520 sq ft) house comfortably when it was -29C outside.

I don't know how reliable electricity is for you - we always try to have at least another source of heat if the power is out. in our case, wood.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Robert Silverberg, the SF author, wrote a very good version of Gilgamesh called Gilgamesh the King.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

We will probably move in the next year or so (for other reasons) and look for something modern and insulated and poky.

Have a look at these-- Tiny Houses, and when they say tiny, they mean it. Pearlie

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A rather technical question - but not computer-based, so not for the Geeks thread!

Some 'kind' person has fiddled with the mixer sliders on our church sound system. Nobody seems to have a clue what the original settings were, and I don't know enough to fix the situation properly, although I have managed to stop the feedback!!

Basically my question is this: The radio mic receivers show -40 to -20 db on what I assume to be the incoming audio frequency. The sliders go from +30 to -40db (I think, it might be -30).
I've currently got the sliders on about -10, but it doesn't sound right somehow.
Does anybody know how to sort this out - or have we got to spend money we don't really have and get the installers back.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tony,

Can you either post a link to a pic of the board? Or provide a make and a model Number?

[ 02. December 2013, 22:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
A rather technical question - but not computer-based, so not for the Geeks thread!

Some 'kind' person has fiddled with the mixer sliders on our church sound system. Nobody seems to have a clue what the original settings were, and I don't know enough to fix the situation properly, although I have managed to stop the feedback!!

Basically my question is this: The radio mic receivers show -40 to -20 db on what I assume to be the incoming audio frequency. The sliders go from +30 to -40db (I think, it might be -30).
I've currently got the sliders on about -10, but it doesn't sound right somehow.
Does anybody know how to sort this out - or have we got to spend money we don't really have and get the installers back.

On the assumption that you're using a regular mixing desk...

There is a pot at the very top of the row. This is the gain, and will probably be also marked with +-db values. Turning the gain up (clockwise) will increase the signal to the desk.

Below that will (again, depending on your setup) be four or five pots controlling the treble, midrange and bass components of the signal. This will change the tone of the top, middle and bottom frequencies of the sound.

Only then does the signal get passed to the fader (the slider).

I hope that helps, and that I haven't hopelessly patronised you.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doc Tor - not patronising at all.

We don't have a mixer in the traditional sense with multiple controls for each channel. Each receiver feeds a single slider control in a unit of twelve sliders - only 6 of which are labelled (4 radio mics; 2 wired mics) At the extreme right end are two additional sliders - one labelled CD (which presumably feeds in the CD signal) and another slider which seems to control the overall signal to the power amplifier, though I am not certain about this. One of the church wardens told me that she understood that this was it's function...

There is what appears to be a graphic equaliser (as far as I understand it!!) but it's safely behind a clear plastic shield so hasn't been tweaked.

The general feeling is that the volume from the radio mics is too high, while the wired mics are about right. As I was trying to sort things out during a service, I didn't want to change the volume too much. I'll have another session in an empty church, but this too doesn't make for an accurate scenario, as there'll be no bodies to absorb sound - and presumably radio signal.

Why can't people just leave things alone when they don't understand it? And why didn't the installers leave a note of the optimal settings? [Frown]

I hate being the one-eyed king in the land of the blind!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

LilBuddha - I'll take a photo next time I'm down there - the hardware is mainly Audio-Technica (3000b series) though I think the power amplifier is a different make.

It'll be a day or two though...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
LilBuddha - I'll take a photo next time I'm down there - the hardware is mainly Audio-Technica (3000b series) though I think the power amplifier is a different make.

It'll be a day or two though...

Tony, The Audio Technica 3000b is a wireless system consisting of a large receiver and wireless mics.
Here is a link to the manual. At least the web page for it, I do not wish to force the hosts to download the pdf.
There are no sliders that I notice.
Each component that has any gain(volume) control could be part of the problem. A pic of each component would help. But as a starter, I would drop all the gains to a mid-level and raise/lower from there.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This may be due to using line level sources on microphone channels or vice versa. The manual doesn't show any per channel adjustment, but it talks about a setting on each transmitter for microphone or instrument level.

I don't see where your wired microphone inputs are going in. If you have a mixer in the setup, there may be a switch on each input channel which switches between line level and microphone. If these are set incorrectly, you can get the results you're talking about either because the system level gain has been set wrong to adjust bad input level settings. Does the c.d. input work correctly?

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think my main problem is getting my head around the negative numbers.
A volume control is easy - the zero setting is effectively off and the scale then goes up in positive numbers.
By analogy I can understand that a gain control, with a zero setting in the middle, increases the signal when it is moved to the positive and reduces the signal to the negative.

But how can a receiver show that it is receiving -40 to -20db? How can you have a negative signal??

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why can't people just leave things alone when they don't understand it? And why didn't the installers leave a note of the optimal settings?

Once you've got the slider levels set correctly, make a white mark next to them with something like Tippex. (Of course that won't help you if people have fiddled with other buttons as well, but it's a start).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TonyK: But how can a receiver show that it is receiving -40 to -20db? How can you have a negative signal??
Maybe it helps to remember that decibels are essentially a logarithmic scale. Instead of -40db, you could be thinking about 10⁻⁴.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This might be a stupid question.

Yesterday, Royal Bank of Scotland had a computer glitch which stopped people being able to use their debit cards. Student son was one of those affected. He doesn't have a credit card, so he had no access to any money, and he doesn't normally carry much cash.

It's sorted now, but I realised I have no idea how to get money to someone in that situation - is there a way?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But how can a receiver show that it is receiving -40 to -20db? How can you have a negative signal??

Decibels are always a ratio of one thing to another, or to a standard reference. A marking on a gain control of -10dB probably means that the output is 10dB less than the input, or less than what it would have been under some other condition (for example, with no equalization.)

Single levels are often referenced to some standard signal level, such as 1mW or 100mV at some standard impedance. In that case a negative number simply means that the level being measured is below the reference level, whatever it happens to be.

AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
can anyone recommend an english translation of Gilgamesh that would be easily accessible to a bright but easily bored 12 year old?

Comet, Andrew George has done a good modern English translation, but it is still in verse form, so you might want to check if your 12 yr old is ok with yards of poetry.

Joyce Tyldesley has done some excellent translations of Egyptian stories specifically done with younger readers in mind, if they like Gilgamesh, they may enjoy these as well.

I trust you will not be quite as excited by the epic of Gilgamesh, as its re-discoverer, George Smith, "On reading the text he...jumped up and rushed about the room in a great state of excitement, and, to the astonishment of those present, began to undress himself." [Big Grin]

Photo of the original text

[Took the extra http out of the link. It's a common mistake!
jedijudy-Heaven Host]

[ 04. December 2013, 01:49: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by AngloCatholicGirl:

Photo of the original text

Early versions of the Kindle had high text definition but were, unfortunately, rather cumbersome...
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
This might be a stupid question.

Yesterday, Royal Bank of Scotland had a computer glitch which stopped people being able to use their debit cards. Student son was one of those affected. He doesn't have a credit card, so he had no access to any money, and he doesn't normally carry much cash.

It's sorted now, but I realised I have no idea how to get money to someone in that situation - is there a way?

Western Union?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moneygram is now world wide. You just put in the sum at your end (post office) and he gets it ASAP at his end (post office.)

I use it all the time now to transfer money to India, but it works well in the same country. Moneygram

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just received some handkerchiefs I ordered for Mr. Plummer from the website of A Well Known Chain Store. They turned out to be disappointingly thin and he thinks he'll need to use them two at a time. Looking at other sites there are plenty of glowing descriptions of the area and patterns of their handkerchiefs, but nothing about the thickness. Does anyone know of a good UK source for thick'uns?
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Thanks, guys, for all your helpful tips and hints - especially Carex with the explanation for negative db ratings.

I changed the setting for one of the radio mics this morning and used it successfully at a funeral service.

I can now adjust the others accordingly.

Situation wasn't helped by the discovery that a large number (40 sets!) of zinc carbon batteries had been purchased for the transmitters. A test shows that they lose power very quickly and actually run out towards the end of our main service. Even I know that alkaline batteries should be used for these devices. Another test showed that 2300mAh rechargeables ran for over 4 hours without problem. The manual says that alkaline batteries will run for 6 - 8 hours, depending on the transmitter power setting.

I think I'm finally getting to grips with it all!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just spent about twenty minutes trying to communicate with a business by e-mail. After I had filled in all the blanks, they showed some letters and numbers, slightly distorted, and asked me to type them. I tried more than thirty times, and every time I was told it was invalid. This happens to me more often than not. Is it just me, or do other people have this problem? Also, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?

If we still had the TICTH thread in Hell, I would have posted there.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Moo: Also, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?
I think what you're talking about is CAPTCHA. Most CAPTCHA boxes have a little loudspeaker icon next to them, where you can hear the letters instead of reading them. Maybe this can help?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also find those hard. I've never tried the speaker, I may have to at some point. I'd guess it normally takes me 2-3 tries to get one right.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Also, no spaces (even if the characters are shown in two groups). The site I usually encounter them on though changes the display if I get it wrong, so sooner or later I get ones I can decipher.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Polly Plummer

Best to look at the luxury end of the market - Turnbulls, Selfridges, etc - or try House of F****r - and HofF have an on-line shop.

Had a quick squint and they have a variety of plain white available.

(Some sites don't list under handkerchiefs - try "pocket squares".

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is no speaker icon. [Frown]

This is the website for a company that installs expensive gutters that supposedly can't be clogged by leaves. (If they get clogged, the company will send someone to clear them for free.)

Why on earth do they want to make it so difficult for a potential customer to contact them?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the captcha things, may they roast in hell--

If you have any unusual software doohickeys (like the one that allows me to add Viet accent marks) make sure the bloody things are off before you enter anhthing, or they'll throw funky coding in there and mess it all up.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I gave up and telephoned them. I didn't want to because of my hearing problem, but I couldn't think of anything else to do.

The call went okay, and they made an appointment to come and give me an estimate.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, l'organist, I'll try something more upmarket!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Also, no spaces (even if the characters are shown in two groups). The site I usually encounter them on though changes the display if I get it wrong, so sooner or later I get ones I can decipher.

If you are given the option to select another, do so. I find anything with I, L or 1 is trouble. S and 5 can be awkward too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr D and I were having a bit of a (ahem) "discussion" about the fact that he had left the stairs and landing lights on all day again and he said that they were only two LED lights and a low energy bulb (true) and that
1. They were designed to be left on all day
2. They took up minimal amount of electricity
3. It took more energy turning them off and on than it did leaving them on all day (for 12 hours)
4. I often leave the kitchen door open and let out all the heat and that is a much worse sin and makes the Baby Jesus cry because it pisses all the heat away.

Now, I will concede that (4) is possibly true (except maybe the bit about the Baby Jesus crying) but the other three points sound like slightly-guilty-justifying-myself bollocks. But I don't know. What do People Who Know About These Things think?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Mr D and I were having a bit of a (ahem) "discussion" about the fact that he had left the stairs and landing lights on all day again and he said that they were only two LED lights and a low energy bulb (true) and that
1. They were designed to be left on all day
2. They took up minimal amount of electricity
3. It took more energy turning them off and on than it did leaving them on all day (for 12 hours)
4. I often leave the kitchen door open and let out all the heat and that is a much worse sin and makes the Baby Jesus cry because it pisses all the heat away.

Now, I will concede that (4) is possibly true (except maybe the bit about the Baby Jesus crying) but the other three points sound like slightly-guilty-justifying-myself bollocks. But I don't know. What do People Who Know About These Things think?

AFAIK - compact fluorescents do 'wear out' if you turn them on and off frequently. LEDs do not, which is why they're almost universally used for the lights on electronic gubbins. LEDs can and do fail, but that's more likely due to a failure in the surrounding circuit than the LED itself. The LED bulbs from IKEA that I've just bought suggest they might outlast me, and I'm only 47.

While low-energy bulbs are low energy, they are not zero energy. I've found that I have to use more CF bulbs in a given area than incandescents - my kitchen has 11 11W CFs, which is brighter than two 60W bulbs, but not as bright as 11 60W bulbs... would I leave two 60W bulbs burning when I didn't have to? No. I'm not sure about whether it takes more power to turn a CF on than it consumes in normal use, but that doesn't sound likely. LEDs, it certainly doesn't. CFs do take a minute or so to come to full brightness. If I'm in an out of a room, I'd leave them on. If I was out of the house for an hour or so, I'd turn them off.

If I could afford to swap all my CFs for LEDs at once, I would. It'll be a gradual changeover instead.

Also, shut the bloody door. 'Born in a barn?' is a frequent cry in our household.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Also, shut the bloody door. 'Born in a barn?' is a frequent cry in our household.

[tangent] I once saw a cartoon of Jesus leaving a door open -- and being asked that question. [/tangent]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know nothing about opera except that when I do listen to a soprano singing some anguished song (I don't even know what to call the songs) I find it soothes the mental. Can anyone recommend a CD of suitable anguish to provide said soothing?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am looking for a quote that describes Dissenting/NonConformist sects I suspect in 18th century but maybe earlier. It is not complimentary and is something like "A disputatious and divisive people" but it picks up a description that instantly recognizable as catching something of the character of the tradition.

Anyone know what it actually is?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I know nothing about opera except that when I do listen to a soprano singing some anguished song (I don't even know what to call the songs) I find it soothes the mental. Can anyone recommend a CD of suitable anguish to provide said soothing?

Solo songs in an opera are arias. If you want anguish, you'd probably like Puccini (I don't particularly, but I don't like anguish). You might want to try something like this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone recommend a good AddBlock?

I don't want to Google it as I may download something even worse!

Every other word on the Ship is being made into a link and popping up adds - it's awful!

(My anti virus is Kaspersky and all up to date)

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016