homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, we've got a murder case which has been dragging on and on and ON and it hasn't even gotten to trial yet, lo these five years later. I'm watching the freaking thing on Casenet to see current status and it just keeps getting continued, often no reason specified. Last week two things popped up i don't understand: ON CALL MEMO FILED and CASE REVIEW SCHEDULED (and then continued to April, naturally). Does anybody know what these mean and whether we might be slouching slowly toward trial? I know the people and just want this slo-mo trainwreck to be over.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IANAL, but I think an on-call memo is a notice X hours or days before the trial is planned to start.

[ 15. March 2014, 02:26: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope you're right. We have yet another month of this...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got some multicoloured IKEA LED lighting strips. I've noticed that when I switch them to blue, things like orange stickers on nearby stuff light up quite brightly.

What is the physics behind this, and are there other colours that react to blue (or any different colour) light in a similar way?

This is not UV light yet, is it? In the 1970ies/80ies discos of me yoof, you could see specks of dust on your jacket when they turned on the UV lamp effect.

Thanks for your insights. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
why we see things in colour: different coloured light means only certain amounts of light to reflect from coloured objects. Under a red light, red objects look black as all the light is absorbed by the object. Under a blue light an orange object will reflect all the light back as there's no blue in orange.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a freezer full of homemade soup. The main constituents are a variety of vegetables plus stock I have made myself from poultry carcases. I do not add salt in either process. But after eating the stuff, which does not taste particularly salty, I have a salty aftertaste. I don't understand this.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
why we see things in colour: different coloured light means only certain amounts of light to reflect from coloured objects. Under a red light, red objects look black as all the light is absorbed by the object. Under a blue light an orange object will reflect all the light back as there's no blue in orange.

But it is the other way around. Red objects absorb all light, but the red so under a red light they are brighter while blue objects look black as they have no blue light to reflect.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

But it is the other way around. Red objects absorb all light, but the red so under a red light they are brighter while blue objects look black as they have no blue light to reflect.

Jengie

Jengie is right. Under blue light an orange object should appear black because it absorbs all the blue light.

However, if the orange object is fluorescent, then it will convert the blue light into orange light.

Fluorescence is also why UV light can cause some objects to glow: the UV light is absorbed and re-radiated as visible light.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have a freezer full of homemade soup. The main constituents are a variety of vegetables plus stock I have made myself from poultry carcases. I do not add salt in either process. But after eating the stuff, which does not taste particularly salty, I have a salty aftertaste. I don't understand this.

If you use canned vegetables, they are jam packed with salt.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You can also get a lot of salt if you added celery. You may have also used brined chickens. This is common if you buy a pre roasted chicken at a store or if it was a koshered chicken.

You might try cooking a peeled potato in the soup; and discarding the potato and see if that removes the salt.

[ 22. March 2014, 05:04: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But none of that explains the lack of salt taste whilst eating.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading a book in our collection called "The Enthusiast: An Enquiry into the Life Belief and Character of The Rev. Joseph Lyne alias Fr. Ignatius O.S.B Abbot of Elm Hill, Norwich & Llanthony Wales" by Arthur Calder-Marshall.

I've got to the part where he gets involved with Llanthony Priory. My question is: how should it be pronounced? I know how to pronounce the Welsh double L (and I can*), but it always looks to me as though it should rhyme with "lantern-y". Is it LlAN-thony or Llan-thO-ny? And is the O long or short?

(The book itself carries an ex libris sticker showing that it once belonged to a person delighting in the name of Seraphim Newman-Norton.)

*(although perhaps not to the satisfaction of a native Welsh-speaker)

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Welsh isn't particularly good, but the stress is generally on the penult (second to last syllable). I would assume 'short o.'

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

You can also get a lot of salt if you added celery. You may have also used brined chickens. This is common if you buy a pre roasted chicken at a store or if it was a koshered chicken.

You might try cooking a peeled potato in the soup; and discarding the potato and see if that removes the salt.

I use fresh not tinned veggies - though if I do buy tinned stuff, it is without salt, canned in water only. The chicken/turkey is usually cooked by me. On occasion I have used pre-roasted chicken for stock, but recent occurrences have been with turkey. I've not noticed celery being salty. Some soups include it.

[ 24. March 2014, 07:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:
...a person delighting in the name of Seraphim Newman-Norton.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this was somebody's affected soubriquet. [Hot and Hormonal]

I wonder if he wants the book back. After I've read it of course. It has annotations, perhaps by His Grace*.

*if that's the correct style. Apologies if it isn't.

[ 24. March 2014, 16:27: Message edited by: St. Stephen the Stoned ]

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a valleys girl, I would pronounce it Llan to ny - "thlan toe nee. It used to annoy when my late mil pronounced it Llanto-nee - generally the stress is either on the second sylable, or the penultimate sylable if the word is long

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the annals of "questions you didn't think to ask," this map from The Economist weighs coffee vs. tea consumption across the world. Americans opt for coffee 75% of the time, Brits opt for tea 78% of the time, while Australians and Canadians sit on the fence.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Few surprises for most peopel there I'd think - except that the Middle East, including Turkey and Iran, is tea-drinking, not coffee. There seems to be a boundary down the middle of North Africa - Libya, whuich they miss of their map, is a tea nation, Tunisia and Algeria are coffeee.

And Kenya, where most of the high-quality coffee imported into Britain is grown (the cheap stuff comes from South America) is one of the most heavily tea-drinking countries in the world. I am an eye-witness - I suppose a mouth-and-stomach witness - to this. When I lived in Kenya there were coffee bushes growing outside our window. Well-cared-for, high-value, arabica coffee, native to East Africa, and the source of the majority of the income of the village. (You had to go a few miles further up the mountain to find tea) Yet everyone drank tea, every day. The only coffee available to drink was small, overpriced, sachets of Nescafe instant that were IMPORTED from America.

But the chai was wonderful [Yipee]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Few surprises for most people there I'd think - except that the Middle East, including Turkey and Iran, is tea-drinking, not coffee.

It depends where you go. The Levant will offer you coffee, and cafes are part of everyday life, as they have been for a long time. (And yes, Starbucks and Costa Coffee have now made it to Beirut and Amman, and there was a thriving coffeehouse scene in Damascus until recently.) Tea is an alternative, but the coffee culture has been popular there as anywhere else.
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think this may be a weird physiological thing. I sometimes find that I a left with a salty aftertaste after drinking coffee (black, strong, no sugar). The coffee itself tastes fine. I am experiencing it now at almost 9am, having not eaten or drunk anything else other than water (and a couple of headache pills) since last night.

I would love to know why.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I am beginning to wonder if what I am tasting is actually stuff which has run down the back of my mouth from my nose. Given that the natural fluids of the body are a bit saline.
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That makes a lot of sense.

So something in your soup and my coffee is possibly causing an increase in the charmingly named post nasal drip. I'm thinking that the culprit is a different one for each of us!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Observation since suggests that it isn't from my nose, it's in the saliva*. So I'm wondering if there's some process by which the stomach needs a certain amount of salt to function properly, which it hasn't been given. So the salivary glands secrete it, and it gets swallowed.
*Though currently, I am getting it from the nose - but I haven't had any soup. Nothing since breakfast.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Taste is a weird thing. Many causes can alter your perception of taste. Because you perceive a salty taste does not mean you are tasting actual salt.

In looking around, I found nothing to suggest the stomach needs salt. The kidney hold or release salt depending on the body's needs.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saliva is mildly alkaline to optimise the conditions for amylase, the enzyme in saliva that starts breaking down starch. Those electrolytes that make the saliva alkaline could be what makes it taste salty.

Nasal drips flow down the back of throats, usually imperceptibly and won't necessarily be obvious, and that really does taste salty.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

But it doesn't always taste salty. Does at the moment, post soup. I learned to control salivation, when taught about Pavlov's dogs*, and later when I found about the two sorts of saliva. The thick sort isn't tasting of salt, and that would be the one with the enzyme, as I recall. The watery type seems to the the culprit. I will test again tomorrow at various times.
If salivary glands have any similarity with mucous producers in the nose, tear producers in the eyes, or sweat glands, they could move sodium and chlorine ions about.
I've just had a drink of milk to change the environment a bit, the saltiness went, and now it's back again. It's about the same as tears in strength, and definitely at the front of my mouth, not the back.
Maybe it's a symptom of something horrible.
*I sat in the biology lab thinking of eclairs, and then simply switched to thinking of salivating.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do people dislike "Shine, Jesus, Shine" so much?
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post 
I don't! I'm a child of the 'fifties' and far prefer the more traditional C of E worship and Hymns, but I rather like SJS.

I must be a bit strange! [Razz]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take your pick:

1. Because its the late C20th version of Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
2. Because the idea of a "shining" deity is getting perilously close to the notion of the Sun-King so beloved of Louis XIV: As we gaze on your kingly brightness, So our faces display your likeness
3. Because its theologically illiterate and musically dire.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

1. Because it's the late C20th version of Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

That's actually a children's hymn, so probably angled towards the little ones. There are plenty of hymns (for adults) with dodgy wording where theology has been sacrificed to rhyme.

quote:
2. Because the idea of a "shining" deity is getting perilously close to the notion of the Sun-King so beloved of Louis XIV: As we gaze on your kingly brightness, So our faces display your likeness
Well, this is a new aspect that would never occur to me.

I thought the tune was quite upbeat and energizing, myself.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may find the tune 'energising' (whatever that means: but if you look at it in the cold light of day it is a not very good homage (there are other words for it) to Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

On the whole, a foundation course at art college may not be the best preparation for a career in original composition, orchestration, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
You may find the tune 'energising' (whatever that means: but if you look at it in the cold light of day it is a not very good homage (there are other words for it) to Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

... the existence of which I was completely unaware until this moment ...
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Asking the LORD to shine is Biblical. Its in a couple of psalms.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is a serious question and one I have pondered. Firstly there have been other bete noir hymns. The one that preceded it was "Make me a Channel of your Peace" and I suspect "I the Lord of Earth and Sky" has also attracted some derogatory attention since.

However given timing and such "Shine Jesus Shine" should be one of those memories of middle aged people who occasionally sing it out of sentimentality and younger people should view it as embarrassing.

That is not the case. The polemic and vitriol directed at "Shine Jesus Shine" is still going strong. As well as those who think no service is complete if it is not sung. It is making me conclude that it is actually a great chorus. A good chorus is one lots appreciate, but a great one must be able to stir stronger emotions of love and loathing and for some reason "Shine Jesus Shine" does that.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
On the whole, a foundation course at art college may not be the best preparation for a career in original composition, orchestration, etc.

Tell that to John Lennon or Lionel Bart, who were both art school students before taking up music full-time. Neither of them could read sheet music, along with Irving Berlin, who could only play the piano in one key - it didn't stop him becoming one of the best-known American composers. I don't think there's any need to disparage Graham Kendrick because he didn't go to Juillard or a simliar establishment - not everyone can afford it.

[ 29. March 2014, 12:36: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I hate the music too - BUT an organist who also has a theology degree once took me to task for loathing this - he went through it verse by verse, cross-referencing to the Transfiguration narrative.

The worse bit is when it talks of nation - sounds very right wing.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

You have just proven there is no God. If there were, your mentioning those two together would have caused the Apocalypse.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The very first time I went to a church service on Christmas Day [this was when I was in my mid-thirties – I had no church involvement at all before that] we sang Shine Jesus Shine. On Christmas Day! At the time I loved it but I would be horrified if that happened today.

It was also sung at my confirmation service several years after that. So although I don’t really like the song very much I sort of have a soft spot for it as I associate it with important occasions in my life.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our church has a gravestone dated 1748, which has a carving of an angel with outstretched arms. It holds a timer in one hand and a scythe in the other. From its mouth comes a banner, with words, but those words are now illegible. The first three letters are VIV... and it looks as though the phrase may have been three words long. At any rate, it's not a long phrase.

Any suggestions as to what a mid C18th gravestone angel might have been saying? Were there a few stock phrases for use on gravestones?

ETA - the stone has flaked at one point, and I don't want to try taking a rubbing as I think it might flake further.

[ 01. April 2014, 14:25: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Why do people dislike "Shine, Jesus, Shine" so much?

Because it's popular and has become symbolic of a sort of bouncy Christianity? I dislike it, but I also remember loving it as a child. It made me want to come to church, in fact. So I'd rather say it has a place, and perhaps the problem is that those of us who want more reflective worship tend to get annoyed when worship is covered with glittery bounce.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Our church has a gravestone dated 1748, which has a carving of an angel with outstretched arms. It holds a timer in one hand and a scythe in the other. From its mouth comes a banner, with words, but those words are now illegible. The first three letters are VIV... and it looks as though the phrase may have been three words long. At any rate, it's not a long phrase.

Any suggestions as to what a mid C18th gravestone angel might have been saying? Were there a few stock phrases for use on gravestones?

ETA - the stone has flaked at one point, and I don't want to try taking a rubbing as I think it might flake further.

No idea as to the text, but, you could try taking photos at several different times to get different shadows. And under different temperature conditions, in case frost picks details out. Or rain drying differentially. Also take said photos from different angles. Depends how much time you want to spend.

About how many letters do you think the words might have?

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Vivat in æternis? (On the strength of this)
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vivat in Aeternis looks possible.

The stone has completely flaked over the final section. I don't know if the flaking is confined to the part which had words carved in it, or extends beyond it. I'm sure the whole phrase didn't have more than about 30 letters, and less if the flaking went beyond the words.

I think I can pick out an "N" which corresponds to the "n" in "in."

I will have another look in different light.

Thank you, Penny S and BroJames!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if it could be "Vive memor leti" - "Live remembering death". Here is an Edinburgh gravestone with it on, looks about the right period.

I think you can also have "Vive memor mortis".

[ 01. April 2014, 17:25: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a similar vein, has anyone any ideas about this stone (in a house wall in Whithorn, in Wigtownshire)? The text looks like 'Justitia … Regina" The writing above reads "…752 years…" and the letters above read 'Bra…' I think.

The arms clearly show some kind of balance, but that is all I can make of it. It may be original to the house, or, quite possibly, "salvaged" from the nearby priory. The stone underneath is interesting as well it looks as though it could be a mortar of some kind.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This is a case of I do not know but I almost certainly know an organisation that does. I have a friend that was involved with them at one stage. However on exploring on the web and pages I think what you need to get hold of is a copy of the Whithorn Town Trail which looks at thirty buildings around Whithorn.

I have a memory of it connecting with a family who had a role in the town, but that is vague. I would however suspect that there is a "1" missing at the front.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a long shot I guess, but a friend, surname Seal, was explaining that his (late) father was a theologian, and diocesan expert on demonology (also professor of such but I didn't catch where) from area of St Albans.

He gave me his dad's first names, and it sounded familiar, but I was very tired at the time and promptly forgot the first names, making a quick trip to Google to find out whether he truly did sound familiar, and what stuff I had read or intended to read by the mystery person impossible (because Seal is a word as well as a name I simply don't have enough to go on).

Does anyone know who my friend's dad was? He was definitely ordained, possibly methodist or free church and will have died more than about two years ago but I don't know how much more than that.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm picking up on Shine Jesus Shine a little late, but the problem with it is the same problem with any over-played Top 40 type of song. The same problem exists with You Raise Me Up, On Eagle's Wings and nearly every song ever sung by Celtic Woman, like I Can Feel Your The Wind Beneath My Wings. Cliché and ear worms.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
This is a case of I do not know but I almost certainly know an organisation that does. I have a friend that was involved with them at one stage. However on exploring on the web and pages I think what you need to get hold of is a copy of the Whithorn Town Trail which looks at thirty buildings around Whithorn.

I have a memory of it connecting with a family who had a role in the town, but that is vague. I would however suspect that there is a "1" missing at the front.

Jengie

Unfortunately the Whithorn Trust doesn't know. Last time I was there, they were going to mention it to an archaeologist working on this sort of thing in the town - but they forgot. I probably need to see if I can get a lead on the archaeologist.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016