homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a good suggestion, and I may look into that if the apartment thing doesn't work out. Thanks.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have now booked what we hope will be the perfect London apartment; thanks for suggestions given. If anyone's doing a similar thing anywhere in the world, of the zillions of sites I combed through looking for this one, I recommend looking on airbnb.com as they seem to offer a lot more of "Ordinary person renting out their house/apartment while they're not in it" as opposed to "Property management company with a lot of cheap grungy apartments hoping to make a quick buck off you." But then, that assessment is only based on booking the place -- hopefully I won't have a different story after I've actually stayed in it!!

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aargh, too late to suggest that if you're here at he end of August you don't stay in London but rather come to he Greenbelt Festival instead.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

If I was coming on my own I'd definitely do Greenbelt! Everything is more complicated with a husband and two teenagers ... everyone's interests and priorities have to be taken into account (of course, that's part of the fun, but it does make trip planning more of a challenge).

--------------------
Books and things.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

And now I've just looked at the lineup for Greenbelt and am even sorrier I wasn't planning this trip to please myself alone. Lots of my favourite speakers are going to be there, people I would LOVE to hear live and never get a chance to. In fact I won't even be in England till it's all over, but if I were travelling alone I would definitely have planned differently.

--------------------
Books and things.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Is it a good idea to select a hotel near Victoria Station? (I know nothing of London.)

I would say yes; Victoria itself is pretty central and is also a transport hub, so you can get almost anywhere by tube or bus from there. It is not the best place to get to from Heathrow but, for a visit of several days, I would think that it is better to stay in Victoria with a slightly more complicated journey at the beginning and end than to stay in the Paddington area.

But then, as I live close to Victoria, I might be biased. [Biased]

On the other hand, you could get a coach from Heathrow to Victoria Coach station; not as quick and comfy as the Heathrow Express but cheaper.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long does it take to feel normal again after major surgery? I had a torn diaphragm with various organs coming up where they ought notter to harass my lungs and heart. Everything put back in place, but I am taking three hour naps still, a month later, and walking a mile is a monumental effort. To say nothing of cleaning house.

The doctors just smile and say "a while" which could mean ANYTHING. Ideas?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The more effort you make to do the walking and other exercises, the faster you will recover.

I'm suggesting you should overdo it - but just that exercise helps.

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think age and health play a big part. Mum had a big chest op last year and it took quite a while, I think she was allowed to drive at 6 weeks from memory but she was still weak and tired easily a while later (but continues to have underlying health problems). Hard to compare between people really.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth:
[Q] I'm not suggesting you should overdo it - but just that exercise helps. [/Q]

There, fixed it for you - I hope?

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] That's sort of my problem--I get impatient easily and sometimes overdo because I don't know what's normal. And I hate not pulling my own weight.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're not my mum are you?!

She currently had a chest infection and is feeling grotty, miserable, less able to do things, having to rely on me more, guiltless about that, more miserable etc. and like after her op time seems to go slower.
Relax, you will heal, but sick time is slower than well time!

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have strange sticky grey pellets in our bathroom - we think possibly some form of egg. We don't know what they are, and fairly extensive googling has just freaked us out but hasn't given us any answers. They look like BB gun pellets more than anything else, but are clearly natural and clump together. Does anyone have any idea what on earth this might be, and how we get rid of it? So far we've opted for spraying bleach, vacuuming and then spraying a lot of Raid (inhaling near our bathroom probably unadvisable at present).
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I am taking three hour naps still, a month later, and walking a mile is a monumental effort. To say nothing of cleaning house.

You're describing my life....

Recovery, like age, IMO, causes you to notice the limits of your energy. Time was, there was a rough equivalence between stuff to do/time in which it had to be done/energy to do it. But now the batteries don't seem to hold the same charge.

I find it best to plan more pitstops. I have an idea of how much I can do before needing a little sit down or a coffee or a nap. The idea is to stop before you absolutely have to.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
We have strange sticky grey pellets in our bathroom - we think possibly some form of egg. We don't know what they are, and fairly extensive googling has just freaked us out but hasn't given us any answers. They look like BB gun pellets more than anything else, but are clearly natural and clump together. Does anyone have any idea what on earth this might be, and how we get rid of it? So far we've opted for spraying bleach, vacuuming and then spraying a lot of Raid (inhaling near our bathroom probably unadvisable at present).

Sounds like a fungus. Suggest vinegar, baking soda or any fungus remover, plus make sure the room gets thoroughly aired out. I googled "bathroom fungus" and got pix that looked remarkably like your description.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
How long does it take to feel normal again after major surgery? I had a torn diaphragm with various organs coming up where they ought notter to harass my lungs and heart. Everything put back in place, but I am taking three hour naps still, a month later, and walking a mile is a monumental effort. To say nothing of cleaning house.

The doctors just smile and say "a while" which could mean ANYTHING. Ideas?

Cleaning house? That should be put off as long as possible. Get a note from your doctor if necessary.

(Hope you feel better soon!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

heheheh. I WOULD put it off if I could do so without being in danger of disappearing in the piles of stuff. I am training the LL, but Mr. Lamb is untrainable by any known power (well, God hasn't got around to it yet). To him, putting things in piles IS neatness. I need surfaces to eat/sleep/sit on!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For every half-hour that you're under a general anaesthetic you should allow one week to recover - double that if you're over 50. Any exercise should be taken in small 'bites' - so walk for 15 minutes then rest, the same with housework.

Yes, sounds dull, but otherwise you'll not only get disheartened but getting back to normal will actually take longer.

Do you swim and have access to a pool? Some gentle backstroke is not only relaxing but also beneficial for stomach/back surgery recovery.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well damn. Not sure how long I was under, guessing two hours or so? As for swimming, I'm forbidden until the chest drain wound is healed over. Meh.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chest drain? In that case NO EXERCISE as such, just gentle pottering. Either put stools around the garden and house or carry a lightweight one with you for what my family call pausettes.

As for the undomesticated partner, just tell him you can't do it all now and he must pick up the slack, end of. If he can't or won't fine, but he pays for a cleaner for the next two months.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:

I know you said they look natural but ... have you had cavity wall insulation recently - ours was done a few months ago and I'm still finding the stuff in the kitchen - there is a gap through the wall for the pipes. The insulation was little grey squashy beads mixed with some sort of PVA type glue squirted through holes drilled into the cavity.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oh &%$^. (It is Heaven,after all)

This is almost as bad as the four months on bedrest when I was expecting LL.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by l'organist:
quote:
For every half-hour that you're under a general anaesthetic you should allow one week to recover
I was signed off for four weeks after a four hour op, and was told it wasn't recovery time from the surgery per se, but recovery time from the anesthetic. Turned out, I needed it! I was still having a long lie, an after lunch nap, and early nights three weeks later. I was just tired! Even once my four weeks were up, I still wasn't back to normal.

The surgery was on my jaw, and recovery in that respect was almost instantaneous; I was eating normally the evening of same day I had surgery.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The older you are, the longer it takes to recover from anesthesia. [Frown]

All anesthetics are poisonous, that's why they knock you out. Your liver has to get rid of the poison, and the older you are, the less efficient your liver is.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thrilled to learn this year that there are blogs run by cardiac practices. They encourage their patients to blog about their stents or aortic resections, so that other patients can learn what to expect. I am sure other medical specialties do this, so you might just pop the phrase "(your procedure here) blog" into a search engine and see what comes up. To learn that EVERYBODY needs at least half a year to get back to normal is a comfort.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

It is. Though as far as I can find out there's no name for what they did to me--"general disaster repair" comes closest. It was an emergency response to a horrid internal mess involving several organs and structures.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Ann! That explanation makes a lot of sense (the walls were done recently) and means my household is no longer utterly freaked out and feeling incredibly girly for having done so.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a remote controlled garage door with two controllers, one in the car the other in the house. The house one is fine but the one in the car will SOMETIMES not operate when reversing down the drive.

When it acts up, I put the transmission into park or neutral, and bingo, it works. It's not a case of being too far away from the unit, I have just cleared the door at that point and when coming in it operates way down the drive.

It is going from reverse to park/neutral that intrigues me!!!!

Is there some sort of radio frequency generated by auto transmissions?

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My first thought is that it might be something to do with your back-up lights. If you can reach them, try jiggling the wires that go into the back.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you have backup sensors on your car? Maybe those are interfering. Whatever it is, you may be able to change the frequency on which your remotes operate to eliminate the interference. Check the manual for your garage door opener. Some fancy openers have a digital control pad for programming. Others may have pin jumpers or dip switches. Others are set at the factory and can't be changed.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thnaks for the replies.
Doesn't have back up sensors, will try changing the freq on the main thingy. As I say, it happens only occasionly.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a history question. I am ISO an unsolved crime or mystery that takes place before 1857 in Britain. Ideally this crime takes place 1850-57, and in London. A great analogue would be the Jack the Ripper crimes, which alas are 40 years later. Was there an unsolved crime of similar heinousness or notoriety in the time period I need?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Here is a history question.

Just the one, Mmmmm?

Firenze
Heaven Host

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

There are some archives of old newspapers online, maybe try them?
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
as a matter of interest, does anyone remember the title of a 1970s book in which some dude condemned almost all contemporary pop/rock music on the basis of its demonic underpinnings?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa

I think it featured in more than one book my recollection is that it was a common theme at that time in certain circles...
I can't remember a whole book but I do remember a chapter in "Risky Living" by the late Jamie Buckingham which went into it a bit.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Here is a history question. I am ISO an unsolved crime or mystery that takes place before 1857 in Britain. Ideally this crime takes place 1850-57, and in London. A great analogue would be the Jack the Ripper crimes, which alas are 40 years later. Was there an unsolved crime of similar heinousness or notoriety in the time period I need?

Which is more important - the time period or London? The Madeleine Smith case was in 1857, but in Glasgow. However, it's not a complete mystery, as there are only two possibilities; a) Madeleine gave him the arsenic or b) L'Angelier took arsenic of his own volition, either to commit suicide, or to put pressure on Madeleine.

It was, (and remains), a notorious case and was reported in the London papers at the time.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am ISO an unsolved crime or mystery that takes place before 1857 in Britain.

I noticed a book in my public library today that may help. It is The Invention of Murder by Judith Flanders. I pulled it off the shelf to look at the blurb. It's about the tremendous surge of interest in murders in Victorian times.

Since I only looked at the blurb, I can't tell you what it covers, but I have the impression it contains references to real crimes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oooh, I must seek that out. Flanders wrote a great book about the Victorian home which has been of great usefulness.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A thesis question.....

I am going to create a large picture in the next 24 hours, basically I want to get it onto my computer tablet in such a form that I can scroll around it easily, viewing the whole thing is not really as important as being able to go in close on detail.

Any ideas how?

Tablet is Galaxy Note and Android based.

This is just for a day.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
as a matter of interest, does anyone remember the title of a 1970s book in which some dude condemned almost all contemporary pop/rock music on the basis of its demonic underpinnings?

"Pop goes the Gospel"?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeking introduction to Old English. Something that would provide graduated readings that progressively familiarize you with the language.

Any suggestions? Either books or online sources are fine.

Why, why, why is Old English so completely unlike Modern English, or even Middle English? I know, I know, the Normans... I'm not helped by the fact that almost all my foreign language experience is in Romance languages, so I'm exquisitely attuned to those languages' cognates in English, and it's disorienting to have those completely gone.

Would Old English be easier if I learned Middle English first? Perhaps working my way back in time from Chaucer to Layamon, before leaping the 1066 divide into Anglo-Saxon?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I found Middle English to be the more annoying, as it looks as if you should be able to read it straight off, but you can't.

OEis simply another language - like Norwegian. A word of which I was once able to decode purely on shared roots - brandslukker = brand from the burning, slukker = slake, a fireslaker = extinguisher. And that is pretty much how I got on in OE. In my degree course, we were not taught it as a language, simply given the texts to Wanderer, Seafarer, Dream of the Rood, Beowulf and Sweets Anglo Saxon Reader and left to get on with it.

It does actually look worse than it is, with the thorns and edhs, but if you actually say it, the words become a lot more familiar sounding. The alliteration and the kennings make more sense as well, if you remember this is stuff for shouting at a room full of drunks.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Jengie - would Prezi do what you want?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Autenreith Road, you could buy a copy of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation for starters. It has the Anglo-Saxon on the facing page.

Some people can figure out a lot with this kind of set-up; others can't. In any case, you'll have an excellent translation of Beowulf.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They have just published the translation of BEOWULF by J.R.R. Tolkien. If you read that and the other translation side by side you probably could get a real good grasp of what the original was like.

--------------------

Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

- Posted      Profile for Frankly My Dear   Email Frankly My Dear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remarkable! I have a nagging question, but didn't want to start a new thread just for the sake of it - so my 'prayers' are answered!

FOR RUGBY ANORAKS:

Why is a 'maul' never even attempted in Rugby League? Which law, specifically, rules it out of the question ??

Posts: 108 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have found bits of OE which I have given to children. There used to be historical collections of documents and other stuff, and in the 1066 one a couple of pages of the AS Chronicle, in which there was a phrase something like "on thissan yeare com harold cyning to westminstere at eastran" (from memory, and without thorns or wens.) And we did a boundary walk round part of Rochester (I'd been on a placename course which did that.) "Fram sušgeat west andlanges wealles oš noršlanan to stręte. & swa east fram stręte oš Doddinghyrnan ongean bradgeat.

Fram Doddinchyrnan oš ša bradan gatan east be wealle. & swa eft suš oš šaet east geat. & swa west be strete oš Doddinchyrnan." I did a version with modern lettering, and we looked at streets and walls. Unfortunately not Doddings corner, which, when I went on the course had a diner called Dodgers on it (Dickensian and pre-conquest) but by the time of the school trip had transmogrified into something Italian and neither.

Bits of it are deduceable. I suspect poetic stuff is less so.

There's an interesting dictionary (Clark Hall, Toronto). It's amazing the words they had words for, which open up a surprising vision of society, somewhat removed from what I was initially taught at 7 by a self-identified Norman, as being barbaric. Unfortunately, as it doesn't foresee the need for anyone to translate from modern to old English, it's somewhat hard to find examples randomly. So far, historian, and blowed if I can find the scientific and philsophical words I know are in there. But there was a society that ate dainty food, and recognised tesselated pavements, as well as having umpteen words for warriors and weapons, and religion. (Loads of lovely words for vestments!) And I have come across the word "eggian" which is translated as "egg on, or incite", which is a bit of a surprise. Obviously nothing to do with eggs.
Guess what I'm going to be spending the rest of the afternoon at?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
@Jengie - would Prezi do what you want?

Thank You

Prezi will not work on the tablet. However the default "Gallery" app works well enough once I had the picture across.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankly My Dear:
Remarkable! I have a nagging question, but didn't want to start a new thread just for the sake of it - so my 'prayers' are answered!

FOR RUGBY ANORAKS:

Why is a 'maul' never even attempted in Rugby League? Which law, specifically, rules it out of the question ??

I'm a rugby tragic but have never got league, so I won't attempt an answer, but I suggest the rugby fraternity down in the Circus wouldn't mind answering if you don't get an answer here ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016