homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankly My Dear:
Remarkable! I have a nagging question, but didn't want to start a new thread just for the sake of it - so my 'prayers' are answered!

FOR RUGBY ANORAKS:

Why is a 'maul' never even attempted in Rugby League? Which law, specifically, rules it out of the question ??

Here are the Laws of Rugby League.

Section 11 talks about the tackle, and it's all relevant, note 3 especially so. This is titled "No moving of tackled player" which is exactly what a maul is about. Rugby League doesn't have rucks, line-outs or contested scrums either.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to all for the Old English advice. I'm looking forward to it.

Until I can get myself to a library for some Old English books, I'm reading The Canterbury Tales, and finding it strangely beguiling in a way I never have before all the other times I've started them, and this even though the word-lookup links aren't working on my iPhone, so I'm reading it punctuated by mysterious words of unknown meaning.

When reading The Canterbury Tales, is one reading "it" or "them"?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having an interesting time with the dictionary - not only does it give a picture of life then with words for everyday things, but also the feelings they needed to describe. And oddities like having separate words for astronomy and astrology, even back then. And words in everyday use now which had not struck me as that old, being that old. That stuff about the split between Norman and English usage is far too glib.
My favourite would come forward to modern spelling as "bookhoard" for library - definitely what I've got. And "bookhoarder" for librarian.
I haven't come across the word for slug, yet. I think I need it. It's probably slug, though.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Hell-slitherer," i think. Possibly "wrath provoker.""

[ 04. June 2014, 12:32: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AR: rather than plough through the Canterbury Tales you might be better off with Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde as a Middle English halfway-house.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I skipped through to the s section - whatever it is, it isn't slug. There are the obvious ancestors of snail (snægl)' slow (slaw - given with one of its meanings as sluggish), slide, slip, slime, slink, plus some others for some of these.
Then there's slipor, slippery, filthy; slitere, gorger.
But slug isn't in there. Not under sl anyway.

You might like slegefæge - doomed to perish!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
AR: rather than plough through the Canterbury Tales you might be better off with Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde as a Middle English halfway-house.

I would say Chaucer is early modern. Compare him for ease of reading with Sir Gawayne or Ancrene Wisse and he's practically Janet and John. The actual tales may be a mixed bunch, but the general Prologue is not to be missed, nor yet the Wyf of Bath, nor the Miller nor the Pardoner.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've found an OE translator on line.

Old English to Modern and vice versa

This knows no word for slug.
But two for snail. There's snægl, and also regnsnægl, which is rainsnail, and I am wondering if that could be slug, on the grounds that they appear more often when it is raining, and though snails do too, they can be found about when dry because of their protection from drying out. I certainly find more slugs than snails about when it is wet, and might even think they fell with the rain, were I of that sort of mind. I wonder what the context of the source might be. (It's not in my dictionary, which would give that sort of information.)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And online dictionaries give, also, regnwyrm, which is an earthworm - similar behaviour. I bet the regnsnægl is a slug, doomed to perish in my garden.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An ignorant American on her way to Britain wants to know:
If I should wish to rent a car in London, to drive to the north, how should I go about it?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same as you would do anywhere else. Google "car rental London" or "car hire London" and see what comes up. Some of the car hire agency names will be familiar to you as they're international. Mostly they won't be cheap, but that's par for the course.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you really want to drive in London? You definitely don't want to drive in Bristol: I made that mistake the last time I was in the UK. Cornwall is lovely though!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It might be an idea to use public transport to the suburbs and hire from there. I've been round Hyde Park Corner a couple of times. By mistake. And you don't want to go anywhere near Vauxhall. And that's without controls in unexpected places, and having to keep to the left, and get to the right lane well before turning. And congestion charging - look it up.
Garmin do satnavs which do photo-like pictures of junctions, which would help better than TomTom.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you, like most of us Americans, drive an automatic, you might have difficulty finding a rental car with automatic. (I drive a stick shift -- but I'd never shifted with my left hand until my one and only adventure driving in England!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Not to mention which of the sticks on the steering column are for signalling lights and which for the wipers.
My friend from California managed all right with a hire car he picked up at Heathrow and drove to and around Ireland and back, though. Apart from thinking the turn off for Chiswick came soon after the Severn Bridge.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're going to 'the north' it may be an idea to get to a large town/city by rail and hire from there - all the major motorways/trunk routes from London northwards are hellish - M1, M6, A1.

You may also be surprised at the speed of some roads - an American friend still shudders at her first experience driving here (M4, in the rain, on a Friday).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to go from London to Cheltenham and then on north. I am thinking of taking the train there, and then renting a car. Quite right, not wanting to drive in London. (We once drove in Heraklion, and still have not recovered.)

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, London to Cheltenham by train is easy enough (but make sure you book in advance, and if you can specify a train so much the better, otherwise you might get sting for a lot of money- our ticketing system is infamously complex).
Do you need/ want to drive? Depends where you're going, and of course a car gives you flexibility, but an hour or less on the train from Cheltenham will get you to Birmingham and you can get pretty much anywhere from there by train. Might be worth investigating the BritRail pass (about which I know nothing much).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

On the other hand, driving from Cheltenham gives opportunites to pootle round looking at scenery and hilly bits, usually avoided by the trains.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed. I'd say drive if you want to explore or you are going off the network: consider trains if you just want to get from A-B.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
If you, like most of us Americans, drive an automatic, you might have difficulty finding a rental car with automatic. (I drive a stick shift -- but I'd never shifted with my left hand until my one and only adventure driving in England!)

It's easy enough to find an automatic in large places (especially airports) but you will pay about double the price of a manual car. All the big car rental chains have websites...

(And in terms of price, for a single person, you will always be better taking public transport than renting a car, assuming it goes where you need to go. For a couple, you're usually better off on the train as long as you buy advance purchase tickets (buy on the web, and collect from a machine at major rail stations), and for four people it's usually cheaper to rent a car.)

[ 06. June 2014, 12:27: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

You may also be surprised at the speed of some roads - an American friend still shudders at her first experience driving here (M4, in the rain, on a Friday).

To my mind, the big difference is not the speed of the roads, but the narrowness of the lanes. Much of America drives at the same speeds as most of the UK, but not in lanes that extend 6 inches either side of your wing mirrors.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

For an American it is the driving on the left that is actually the horrible adjustment. And of course when Brits come here there is a similar disjunction. Have you read PARADISE NEWS, by David Lodge? In which a British tourist in Honolulu looks the wrong way and gets creamed in traffic.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... For a couple, you're usually better off on the train ...

It may depend on how much travelling you're doing, and where.

When we go home, we have family to visit in Essex, Edinburgh and Orkney and in recent years we've found that for two of us renting a car is cheaper (and infinitely more convenient) than trains or even cheapie airlines (which aren't as cheap as they used to be).

As for driving in London, D. used to reckon that if you knew your way around it was easier to go through it than round it. These days, though, he'd begrudge paying the congestion charge, and I don't blame him.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In a city I feel that on foot is the only way to really know it. Being closed in a car is distancing. However, to get over a distance, we are going to go by car. I am enough of an American to demand my own schedule and route. So I think taking a train to Cheltenham would be a fine compromise.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Of course, when it comes to which side of the road, we have much more opportunity to practice on the right, than anyone from a right driving country does to practice on the left. Most British wrong side accidents happen within a few miles of the Pas de Calais! And we, growing up in Channel ports, learned such useful phrases as "Tenez la gauche", "Links fahren". which were scattered alongside the roads.

Napoleon's fault, of course. There is evidence of driving on the left in Roman times - unloaded carts into a quarry, loaded ones out, on the left.

[ 06. June 2014, 18:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The fuel price in the UK is double in price to western Canada. Just so you know. Get a GPS, better from home than rented with the car.

Rent the car online for guaranteed price before you leave, and if you cancel there should be no charge even if at last minute.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have a GPS here in the US. Must find out if I can get it loaded with British maps (and how much this will cost me). Rather than haul it along in my luggage I am thinking of renting one with the car.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
in recent years we've found that for two of us renting a car is cheaper (and infinitely more convenient) than trains or even cheapie airlines (which aren't as cheap as they used to be).

The convenience is a big deal. If you're paying full price for a normal ticket I'm not surprised by the prices either, but I would have thought that advance purchase tickets (2-4 weeks in advance usually) might work out cheaper. Of course, then you're limited to a specific train.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
For a couple, you're usually better off on the train as long as you buy advance purchase tickets

If you're a couple, you can buy a Two Together Railcard and get a third off the price.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I see that is good for a year; since I look to do one trip exactly by rail it is probably not a good buy.
If anyone has tips on where to stay in Cheltenham I would be happy to entertain recommendations.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might like to start a Visiting the UK thread in All Saints, Brenda; that kind of thread tends to do well there.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I see that is good for a year; since I look to do one trip exactly by rail it is probably not a good buy.

The TwoTogether Railcard is only £30, and given the (noted above) complicatedness of our rail pricing, it could very well be that your one trip up north makes shelling out for the railcard worth your while. For example, next week my husband and I are travelling down to London for ken's funeral, and even if we never use the train again for the next year, the saving was substantial enough for it to have been well worth it buying the railcard - we saved considerably more than £30 just on the one journey.

Depending on what time you travel, it might even be worth buying it just for the train from London to Cheltenham. Seriously.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been carrying out a cull of my books and have half a dozen or so Bibles of various translations and ages that I no longer use. I am reluctant to throw them in the bin, but my local charity shops will probably not take them. Can anyone suggest anywhere they might be useful?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

Depending on what time you travel, it might even be worth buying it just for the train from London to Cheltenham. Seriously.

Right now, an Advance Purchase single from London to Cheltenham Spa (valid only on the specific train that you choose at the time of purchase) is GBP 13.90 (assuming there are still tickets available for the day you want to travel). A standard super off-peak single (the cheapest ticket you can buy on the day) on that route is GBP 31.50, rising to GBP 96.50 for a single that permits travel in peak hours.

These are all in standard class.

If you are willing to buy a month or so in advance and commit yourself to a particular train, you can save a lot of money (the less than half the price of the cheapest ticket you can buy on the day shown here is typical). If you really need to travel at peak times, you're probably better off driving.

[ 07. June 2014, 20:33: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I have been carrying out a cull of my books and have half a dozen or so Bibles of various translations and ages that I no longer use. I am reluctant to throw them in the bin, but my local charity shops will probably not take them. Can anyone suggest anywhere they might be useful?

I would assume that any Christian-affiliated charities would gladly take them.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, most Christian affiliated charities do NOT want second hand bibles. There is often no real purpose that they can be put to and these days if people hand out bibles here then they are normally new. However, there are some who would be interested.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
No, most Christian affiliated charities do NOT want second hand bibles. There is often no real purpose that they can be put to and these days if people hand out bibles here then they are normally new. However, there are some who would be interested.

Jengie

I cannot agree. I know that many charities use them for homeless ministry, prison ministry, missionary work, etc. The U.S. has a number of designated Bible collection centers for second-hand bibles, but I am unaware of whether these exist in the U.K.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prisons normally require that books, including Bibles, be sent directly from the publisher for security reasons--which leaves out used ones. Missionaries in the US have limited use for used Bibles, particularly King James, as most people they work with can't comprehend it, and the rest (being by definition nonChristian and unlikely to place a value on the spiritual aspect of such a gift) demand to know why they aren't considered worthy of a new copy instead of a hand-me-down. Missionaries overseas can't afford shipping for many books and will also face language and literacy problems. Homeless ministry? Well, maybe--as long as the Bible is in a translation that the individual can read and understand. In my experience, about 80% of the Bibles we've been offered are unfit for any purpose, being either tattered and torn, or else in archaic English not understanded of the people. Which is a shame.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
quote:

Jengie

I cannot agree. I know that many charities use them for homeless ministry, prison ministry, missionary work, etc. The U.S. has a number of designated Bible collection centers for second-hand bibles, but I am unaware of whether these exist in the U.K.
I know of plenty of churches that have bookcases of passed on Bibles that are unused. Yes in the UK a church is a religious affliated charity; so are mosques and synagogues. I can not see them being pleased with more. If charities hand out bibles they tend to hand out new ones, not secondhand and it is really only those running secondhand shops who would want to take them here.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
quote:

Jengie

I know of plenty of churches that have bookcases of passed on Bibles that are unused. Yes in the UK a church is a religious affliated charity; so are mosques and synagogues. I can not see them being pleased with more. If charities hand out bibles they tend to hand out new ones, not secondhand and it is really only those running secondhand shops who would want to take them here.

Jengie

Perhaps this is a regional difference then. As I said, I am unfamiliar with how things work over in the U.K.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a way of finding out your passport number without actually having your passport? Son lost his passport and applied for a replacement, using the "lost or stolen" form. His application has been bounced back because he didn't fill in the number of the lost passport. But he doesn't know the number because he's lost his passport.

Are we missing something here? Is there a way of finding out the number of a lost passport that everyone knows about except us?

He's tried phoning, but hasn't got through yet.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NEQ - has he tried asking his HR office at work? To confirm eligibility to work it's normal practice to take a copy of someone's passport which they should hold on record.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. He's a University student, with no current employment. He's done holiday work previously, but I doubt they'd have his passport number.

[ 10. June 2014, 13:16: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Is there a way of finding out your passport number without actually having your passport? Son lost his passport and applied for a replacement, using the "lost or stolen" form. His application has been bounced back because he didn't fill in the number of the lost passport. But he doesn't know the number because he's lost his passport.

Are we missing something here? Is there a way of finding out the number of a lost passport that everyone knows about except us?

He couldn't get through on the phone, so had no idea what was happening but despite not filling in the forms they sent him, his new passport has appeared! YAY!
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has he made a note of the number in case he loses this one?

--------------------
Less is more ...

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

He couldn't get through on the phone, so had no idea what was happening but despite not filling in the forms they sent him, his new passport has appeared! YAY!
Looks like we have lurkers in the Passport Office too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
Has he made a note of the number in case he loses this one?

I have made a note of the number.

Plus we are running a family sweepstakes on how quickly the old one will reappear, now he's paid for and got a new one.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

That's the surest way of getting a lost object to reappear!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Okay, can anyone explain why I have curly hair but it only begins just below ear level? It's basically straight above that point, but there's a major change just at the bottom of the ear. Hair length and layers vs. no layers makes no difference to where the curl starts, so it isn't the weight of the strands (or lack thereof).

I am frustrated because, well, it just looks weird. And because in its less-than-infinite wisdom it has decided to flip UPWARD at the end, like a toddler's line drawing of a girl's hair, so I basically look incompetent with a curling iron. But this is natural. (and no, it isn't hitting the shoulder and curling upward as a result--it doesn't even touch the shoulder at the mo).

Google is my fiend, not friend, on this one.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016