homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Silverbeet is known as swiss chard (or sometimes just chard) in British English, not sure about US English.

Same in US English. It seems to be more popular in the Midwest than anywhere else I've previously lived, including England. I have to admit to not being a fan.
We find that with garlic, chilli and ginger it makes a decent stir fry. Mind you, the same effect can probably be obtained with 120gm pastel paper.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia

Just to confuse matters more there is also sugar beet.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swiss chard (the leaves) and beet or beetroot, are the same plant. Cultivars (varieties) for the root or the leaves have been created by traditional breeding methods.

Same holds true for broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage.

On the plant angle, this pleased me to read: http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/content/37/9/869 , because it means that people may begin to appreciate the experience of this plant for some of us, which is far beyond any other foul taste I've ever experienced.

quote:
New associations were detected between cilantro (coriander) and variants in three genes (TRPA1, GNAT3, and TAS2R50) [that make it taste awful for some people].
I cannot abide the least bit of cilantro leaves, and only very very small amounts of coriander (the seeds). I suspect I must have all 3 variants, because it tastes just horrible, worse than any other flavour I have ever experienced. They often say it is like soap, but for me, it also has a sewage-like odour combining with the soap.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
no prophet: I cannot abide the least bit of cilantro leaves
Don't go to North-East Brazil. It's in everything.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About that shower problem. Some showerheads have a thermal cut off valve built in or screwed the shower head where it's normally screwed into the shower pipe. They shut off if the water is too hot to prevent scalding the skin. This can happen if the water heater is delivering hot water at too high a temperature and it is not being mixed with enough cold water. You may be doing something that temporarily reduces cold water supply so the valve trips in such as flushing the toilet or having a dishwasher running.

The long term fix is usually to turn down the temperature on the hot water heater so it's not above a safe temperature. The thermal cutoff may also be defective and need replacement.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Silverbeet is known as swiss chard (or sometimes just chard) in British English, not sure about US English.

Same in US English. It seems to be more popular in the Midwest than anywhere else I've previously lived, including England. I have to admit to not being a fan.
We find that with garlic, chilli and ginger it makes a decent stir fry. Mind you, the same effect can probably be obtained with 120gm pastel paper.
Two good things to be said for swiss chard: (i) it looks pretty in the garden (if you like bright colours) (ii) it is extremely easy to grow and just keeps on cropping into winter. Doesn't taste of much (I prefer the leaves to the stalks on the whole) but it does give you fresh green veg when other things are running out.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swiss chard also works as a green to toss into a cup or bowl of broth to make you feel the meat or dumplings aren't too unhealthy. That would be hard to do with pastel paper.
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Swiss chard (the leaves) and beet or beetroot, are the same plant. Cultivars (varieties) for the root or the leaves have been created by traditional breeding methods.
<snip snip>
...[cilantro] it tastes just horrible, worse than any other flavour I have ever experienced. They often say it is like soap, but for me, it also has a sewage-like odour combining with the soap.

About beets: the only kind I've ever grown or seen in MD or PA is the dark-reddish purple globe shape kind, which is nothing like those British beet-root things. And our beets, though related to chard, are far from being similar. Young leaves of beets are delicious. Beets need to be thinned, so the ones that are pulled up are not wasted.

As for cilantro, it disgusts me. It smells, and therefore tastes like, cat pee. I once grabbed a bunch of cilantro by mistake, thinking I had gotten flat leaf Italian parsley. What a horrible mistake. [Razz]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it just me or does the coriander leaf/cilantro in Britain differ from that in the US and Canada?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am here in the UK, fresh from the US. So far as I can tell there is no difference.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To me coriander has no flavour at all, so it makes no difference if it is the UK, USA or missing from the recipe.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How are the "the dark-reddish purple globe shape kind" of beets nothing like the British beetroot things? British beetroot

[ 24. August 2014, 10:04: Message edited by: Penny S ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like coriander!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: silver beet. My aunt (b.1900) reported that in her early nursing days the white stalks were cooked and served in a sauce and the green part of the leaves thrown away.
There is a red stalked variety grown as a decorative plant in public gardens, though it's the same as the white stalked sort as far as eating goes.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I like coriander!

Ah, but you're in Brazil. I suspect (correct me on this) that coriander was brought to Brazil by the Portuguese, from India. The coriander used by the British is, AFAIK, also from India. hence the coriander in Brazil may not be the same as that in North America.

Brenda Clough: maybe this is one of those things that tastes the same if you like it, but different if you don't.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sioni Sais: I suspect (correct me on this) that coriander was brought to Brazil by the Portuguese, from India.
No need to correct you here, I think you're spot on.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The coriander used by the British is, AFAIK, also from India.

Actually, if you buy fresh coriander in the supermarket it can come from a variety of different countries.

It's probably my favourite herb. Too much of it and it can be revolting - I know what people mean about the soapiness and it's not particularly nice eaten on its own - but if it's used sparingly as a garnish it can work very well. A little in a toasted garlic chicken sandwich, together with some lemon and maybe a bit of mayonnaise, makes a very fine sandwich. A pinch as a garnish on some curries or as a minor ingredient in herb salads is good too. As with many strong flavours, best kept to a minimum.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a must in guacamole and salad/salsas - it was born to go with lime juice and chilli.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And it's perfect (IMHO) on black bean soup!

There is your hostly hat trick!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
jedijudy: And it's perfect (IMHO) on black bean soup!
Have you been in Brazil perhaps? [Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not yet! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I right in thinking that whether or not fresh coriander/cilantro tastes like soap is a genetic thing, rather like being able to roll one's tongue?

For myself, I can take it or leave it, but I love the flavour of coriander seeds, especially with sautéed cauliflower or in carrot and tomato soup.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
piglet: Am I right in thinking that whether or not fresh coriander/cilantro tastes like soap is a genetic thing, rather like being able to roll one's tongue?
This appears to be the case.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
For myself, I can take it or leave it, but I love the flavour of coriander seeds, especially with sautéed cauliflower or in carrot and tomato soup.

I have bread recipe with coriander seeds and cooked carrot in it. I usually use pumpkin. It's great and keeps moist.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, the genetic thing is true. I used it once in a short story, which was published in Christianity Today.

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Small Parish Kirk is considering whether to buy a data projector. If it's to be used for mainly youth film clips/ Alpha videos but also sometimes in evening services then how much should we spend, and any suggestions for good options?

Cattyish, non-technical for the most part.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't have any particular suggestions, but I do know that in your budgeting you need to both factor in the initial outlay (possibly a capital expense, depending on how you define those) and also the ongoing cost of replacing the bulbs, which can be pretty expensive.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why not contact a supplier and ask what typo of projector they recommend for that task - that will at least give you a price range - Video projectors come in at anything from £120 up to maybe £5000 or more, and in my experience ( [Roll Eyes] ) if you get the wrong one by trying to buy on too small a budget, it's money well wasted.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
cattyish

Enter 'projector for church' into Google - plenty of advice and offers!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mum had to buy a new projector recently as the existing one didn't have the correct connectors for the new laptop, and it would have involved a lot of connecting different cables to get it to work. It didn't have HDMI which the new laptop needed.
The old projector type is still being sold. So basically see what your PC needs to connect, and if there is any chance it might be connectors to different PCs get one with lots of connector options.
(Trying asking in eg PC world)

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It's probably my favourite herb. Too much of it and it can be revolting - I know what people mean about the soapiness and it's not particularly nice eaten on its own - but if it's used sparingly as a garnish it can work very well.

This states a preference, and is not at all the same as those of us who apparently have the genetics to have it taste really, really, really awful. Soapiness does not begin to describe the revolting taste. I mentioned sewage and someone else cat pee. Because of my experience with it, I have been keen to talk with others who respond similarly. The level of revulsion is beyond any other taste for those who are cursed with the genes it seems. It is emotional because of intense foulness of it. There must be a special area of the brain which stores the memory of something so obnoxious. I does not harm our gut like gluten does to those with Coeliac Disease, but is to be avoided as stringently.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please get one using led technology. The cheap ones are likely to be incandescent bulb ones. The big problem is that you will have to change the bulb far more often the led technology ones (I believe that led bulbs last longer than other parts of the projector). The problem is only partially the cost involved, it is also that Led ones are the newer machines and I can see with church use that you might end up with a perfectly good machine that you cannot get bulbs for.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Question for home improvement geeks:

(Is there a dedicated thread on this, like for gardening or cooking? If yes, please feel free to transfer. Thanks!)

I've got lots of connected bookshelves in one room, which are all IKEA Ivar of the 30cm depth, and mostly the 226cm height. They're made from solid pine.

I'm planning to replace the remaining 176cm-high ones with 226cm ones (which will be fixed to the wall!). To save cash, I've got myself several 2nd hand side units, which leads me to ask for Shipmatian advice on the following:
  • Ivar shelves have been on the market for donkey's years. Is there a limit to their, ehem, shelf life, or can you reasonably safely use them for quite an extended period? - I do check the side units for faults, and there's no visible damage, cracks or bending.
  • As I'm lucky enough to have rooms with a ceiling height of 300cm or more, I was wondering the following: Would it be feasible to put a short Ivar side unit on top of a 226cm one (e.g. by safely fixing it to the tall, lower one with screws). - Fastening the 226cm ones to the wall goes without saying; but do you reckon they would carry the additional weight of perhaps 70cm more height, plus shelfboards, plus books on top? Or is it advisable to abstain from any such plans? I don't want to cause a general bookshelf crash!

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If they are solid wood the answer is probably yes.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you considered putting storage underneath the shelving instead?
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I have some Ivar shelves that are ten or 15 years old. The wood does get a bit harder,making drilling fun but I suspect they're good for a century. The only problem is some shelving will warp under long time heavy load. If it does, then it won't hold heavy loads as well. Attaching them to the wall or using a diagonal brace is a good idea.

I'd be a bit more nervous about stacking shelves for several reasons. One is, can your floors hold the weight. The second is attaching the butt joints together with screws seems a recipe for the wood splitting. I'd at least try using piece on each of the verticals that spans the gap by a bit and then put screws in the side of both pieces. You certainly want to fasten it all to the wall and probably use diagonal braces on both sections so they don't diagonalize in a bad way.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never had Ivar shelves. But given the thickness and size, they should handle quite a bit of weight. Warping, to an extent, should have little effect on their load bearing capability. I would have much less confidence in the plastic brackets that are attached to the ends.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had some of my Ivar for about 20 years and the only ones that have warped have been the ones in the conservatory in sunlight, though these do also carry considerable weight.
My Ivar are mostly the wider ones. I've used them in my fabric store room, floor to ceiling, for about 7 years with no problems, holding heavy bolts of fabric. I use them in the conservatory to hold Really Useful boxes full of heavy craft stuff and the children's room as desk and shelving. We've used smaller shelves above larger too. We do have some shelves that have be joined together but not quite as high as you are suggesting. No problems though.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Never had Ivar shelves. But given the thickness and size, they should handle quite a bit of weight. Warping, to an extent, should have little effect on their load bearing capability. I would have much less confidence in the plastic brackets that are attached to the ends.

I've not seen Ivar recently, the units may have plastic brackets now. But some which we have (15 years old) have only metal pins and brackets.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Mine have been going for about 25 years with no problems afaik.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

IME flat pack furniture usually builds up OK and can give years of faithful service UNTIL you decide to move it. With the best will in the world, the joints aren't often strong and secure enough, and it's all too easy for them to get loose or break entirely. They start as a kit of parts and all too easily can revert to that state.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, IKEA furniture is often made of bonded wood particles, where the shelf being spoken of here is solid wood.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha! Manifold manifestations of manly and womanly insights! Thank you! [Yipee] [Overused]

So, while it may not necessarily be a good idea to top up one shelf with another - especially as the lower side units would have to carry even more bookian weight then -, the age of the shelves doesn't seem to play a big role. That's good to know.

I agree that the new grey plastic shelf brackets could be the first to go eventually, but so far they seem ok. I've got a mixture of the old metal and the new plastic ones. (BTW: I seem to remember a brandnew IKEA policy that they now replace or reimburse EVERYTHING you take back!!)

Re diagonal x-braces: I'm using them on every other shelf (they're all with 83x30cm boards) - the end shelves are both fixed to corner shelves, and these to a short 42cm shelf each, which makes a U-shape, and the whole thing amazingly stable. Each of the shelves has 7 or 8 boards filled with books, while the corner sets and the 42cm ones have 5 or 6 boards.

The new set of 226cm ones goes on the other wall though.

Re the weight they can support: I've just noticed IKEA actually say this on the site: the Ivar 83x30cm board can carry max. 35kg, the 42cm ones 18kg and the corner boards 30kg each. - But perhaps I should really go and weigh the books on each shelf to get an overall impression!! Thanks for the hints re the floor. I'll bear that in mind.

Mertide: saw that, but I just can't be bothered to disassemble the whole bleedin' lot again now! [Big Grin]

Sioni and lilBuddah: agreed. I've got several of the old Hopen wardrobes (238cm tall or similar - great for my rooms). All of them are 2nd hand, and I've had to purchase several of them in order to replace the bits and pieces that tend to come off when moving! That is a bit of a disaster story, but they're on the market quite cheap now, so it doesn't really matter.

Again - a great thank you to all! Long live our shelves, and long live the Ship! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

A small etiquette question.

Once a girlfriend broke up with me, and one of the reasons she stated for this is that sometimes when we ate together at a restaurant, the waiter would bring my plate first before hers. She interpreted this as some kind of sexist gesture from the waiter, and I should have done something.

I'm not sure what reaction she expected from me. Obviously, whenever my plate came first, I would wait with eating until hers arrived too. That goes without question. But she seems to have expected something more from me. Should I have protested with the waiter? Refused my plate?

My question is: is there some kind of etiquette rule that a waiter should bring a woman's plate first? And if this is so, what should a man do if this doesn't happen?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have seen this, but only in the most posh and fancy restaurants. In more casual places they're more careless.
IMO (as a female) your ex was overly picky. And that says to me that this was just an aegis, an excuse to dump you. She had some other issue.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I'm not couth but I think that etiquette says that the host is served first, so they can approve the food being served the guest. This frequently happens with wine. However your ex may have been objecting to the assumption that you were paying for her dinner.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unless you are going to extremely posh places, the waiter wasn't even thinking about whose food to put down first. He/she was thinking about how to manage the scramble without a) dropping anything, b) having the food get cold, bb) putting the food in front of the wrong person, c) getting yelled at by you, her, or the manager, and d) handling the next challenge to come along--like in 30 seconds or so. Gender doesn't make it within a mile of those preoccupations.

As for you, you were being a decent human being and not contributing to the waiter's load. Your ex is WAY too self-absorbed. She'd do well to take a stint in some service industry--say, six months as a waitress or a retail clerk.

[ 01. September 2014, 21:05: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Always? In every restaurant? My perception is that restaurant kitchens try to get all the orders from one table out together, and whose plate gets plonked down first is a matter of chance, and what the waiter grabbed first.

If she was perceiving the oppression of the patriarchy in the fact that she was being served her Entrecôte De Boeuf Sauce Poivre and chips 30 seconds later than you, then it strikes me she does not have enough to worry about in life.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Thanks for your answers. That's what I thought, more or less.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Once a girlfriend broke up with me, and one of the reasons she stated for this is that sometimes when we ate together at a restaurant, the waiter would bring my plate first before hers.

In all the years I’ve been eating out it’s never occurred to me to notice this. The poor waiter is damned before he even starts in this case – he can’t lay down both plates simultaneously, he’s got to put one down first and it’s not even the same waiter doing it each time in the same place, surely.

That frame of mind is only a step away from "He’s getting served first because he’s a man" and "I’m getting served first because he’s sexist," where nobody can win. It would have been unreasonable to ask the waiter to comply with what your girlfriend wanted. Besides, if you had she’d only have found something else to be annoyed about. It sounds as if it would have come to a head sooner or later.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016