homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I stand corrected about the serving etiquette.

According to this posting on Serving Etiquette
quote:
When people are served, the tradition is to start with the guest of honor, followed by the women in the party, the men, the hostess, and finally the host. If the delineations between guests are not clear, servers start with the oldest woman at the table, and work their way down to the youngest man. The same order is followed when taking orders in a restaurant.

So apparently your ex was correct that etiquette was not being observed. Of course that seems rare at casual dining places today.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my experience, waiters frequently don’t know whose plate is whose anyway, either because they’ve forgotten or because one of their colleagues took the order. Generally they arrive with two plates, say “Who is the [plate in my right hand] for?” and put that one down first. There’s no patriarchal masterplan behind it.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A related question - we invited a visiting Chinese colleague of my husband's to a family meal. I would normally serve guests first, then other adults, then children, then myself.

He was adamant that we should serve our children first. Is this how it's done in China?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've only eaten once in the company of a child in China - but that was in a restaurant where there are are a number of dishes put on the table and you help yourself.

This link is also about public banqueting, and stresses Elders First. Trouble is, because homes are small and restaurants plentiful, it's rare for visitors to be invited to a meal in a domestic setting. Nevertheless, I would have thought in every culture, Honoured Guest is trumps.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We weren't sure if he was politely demurring, and we were supposed to politely insist, or not.

He was quite intrigued by our two, as he had rarely met sibling pairs.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
A related question - we invited a visiting Chinese colleague of my husband's to a family meal. I would normally serve guests first, then other adults, then children, then myself.

He was adamant that we should serve our children first. Is this how it's done in China?

However it is done in China, I think it's extremely rude for him to be a guest in your home and expect you to follow his rules from back home.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We didn't think he was being rude, we just thought he was being polite in a way we didn't understand and weren't sure how to respond to.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a really 'posh' place the food will arrive at the same time, using however many waiters that requires. The only exception will be if a dish needs to be flambeed at the table.

In most restaurants if there are just two of you then you'll be served at the same time. Again, there is an exception and that is that one of you has ordered something - well-done meat perhaps - that takes longer to cook.

The vast majority of places will bring out the food when the chef calls 'service' and it may be that sometimes there is a delay between one dish and another. Its no big deal.

This woman didn't have a problem with the order of serving - she didn't have the balls to tell you the relationship was over for whatever (?) reason so picked this lame excuse.

Look upon it as a lucky escape.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eloise
Shipmate
# 4292

- Posted      Profile for Eloise   Email Eloise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We weren't sure if he was politely demurring, and we were supposed to politely insist...

This would be my guess. When I have been invited for a meal in China (whether in a home or in a restaurant) I was nearly always offered each dish first. He probably would have deferred to an elderly person if one had been present, but failing that children (especially if young) will do. I found in homes especially the child was usually encouraged to offer me food (and practice their English at the same time). I was often unsure how hard to push back to be properly polite - having children in the mix can mitigate the awkward a little, so perhaps that's what he was going for.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - The Red Queen

Posts: 419 | From: Bay Area, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We didn't think he was being rude, we just thought he was being polite in a way we didn't understand and weren't sure how to respond to.

He could have been attempting to adapt to what he thought might be your view of proper. Or it could be idiosyncratic.
We often read the negative in an unusual situation, good on you for not doing so.

[ 02. September 2014, 17:06: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It could have been worse! We were invited to the home of a Muslim couple who were here on sabbatical. We might have been their first non-Muslim guests. In their culture it is polite to leave food uneaten on your plate to indicate that your hosts have provided generously, but we didn't know that and, as course after course appeared, attempted to eat everything that was placed in front of us.

I have never eaten so much. When we got home I looked at my toothbrush and realised that if anything else went into my mouth I was going to be very, very sick. It was 24 hours before I could face anything else except ice lollies.

Meanwhile they were probably equally dismayed as I'm sure we'd eaten them out of house and home.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To muddy the waters a bit more--

In Vietnam (culturally close to China in many ways) children are often fed first, for several reasons: a) A general tenderness toward children, b) A desire to get them out of the way and occupied while the adults enjoy dinner, c) a belief that they can't handle waiting till others are served first (though I think this would apply mainly to kids under ten). So if I'm right, yes, he was attempting to be polite by insisting that you feed the kids first. I would probably have pushed back just a little ("No, no, they're fine, they can wait, you are our guest!") and then gracefully given in ("It's very kind of you") and allowed him to win the politeness battle and feel good. It's rather like the politeness battles when several people pile up at a door ("After you" "No, no, after YOU" and etc.). The wee bit of a fuss allows everyone to feel courteous, no matter who ends up going first in the end.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a girl, my entire extended family would go out to a Chinese restaurant. The adults would sit at one table (my mother has 4 sisters and a brother, plus everybody's spouse and the grandparents) and all eleven of us children would sit at another. Our food would always come first.
I learned that this was not because they were serving us more rapidly, to keep us quiet. It was because we were getting the fast, cheap and easy foods: pork buns, spring rolls, egg rolls, noodles. The really delicious and elaborate dishes, the whole fish steamed with ginger and scallions, the crispy duck -- all those dishes were going to the adult table.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zack Moir, the musician in these pictures -- what kind of saxophone is he playing? or is it a different kind in different pictures?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Autenrieth Road: Zack Moir, the musician in these pictures -- what kind of saxophone is he playing? or is it a different kind in different pictures?
Tenor saxophone in all of them except this one, which is an alto saxophone.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It could have been worse! We were invited to the home of a Muslim couple who were here on sabbatical. We might have been their first non-Muslim guests. In their culture it is polite to leave food uneaten on your plate to indicate that your hosts have provided generously, but we didn't know that and, as course after course appeared, attempted to eat everything that was placed in front of us.

I have never eaten so much. When we got home I looked at my toothbrush and realised that if anything else went into my mouth I was going to be very, very sick. It was 24 hours before I could face anything else except ice lollies.

Meanwhile they were probably equally dismayed as I'm sure we'd eaten them out of house and home.

It is my understanding that, in traditional Peruvian culture, it is a sign of impoliteness to your host unless you eat and drink yourself sick.

All those potatoes. Think of it.
[Ultra confused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, LeRoc! And this one too: is this a tenor sax?

Zack again

They all look huge to me. A baritone sax must be monstrously large.

Yikes, yes, the bari sax is huge!

So I guess the Zack picture at the top of this post must be another tenor sax, am I right?

And this is cool, saxophone quartets, where I can compare the size side-by-side.

Thanks for your help. (Flutist and pianist, dated a sax player for several years but didn't examine the size of his, uh, instrument [Biased] ).

[ 05. September 2014, 00:38: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Autenrieth Road: Thanks, LeRoc! And this one too: is this a tenor sax?

Zack again

Yes, a tenor.

quote:
Autenrieth Road: And this is cool, saxophone quartets, where I can compare the size side-by-side.
It's easy:
  • Soprano: straight (mostly, there exist curved versions
  • Alto: curves down (reckoned from the mouthpiece)
  • Tenor: turns a bit up, then down
  • Baritone: makes a loop, then turns down

In a wind band that marches on the streets, a baritone sax player sometimes mounts wheels below his/her instrument.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Cool, thanks for the geometric taxonomy of saxophones!

If flutes and piccolos weren't such clearly different sizes, it would be hard to provide such a taxonomy. "Well, the flute goes straight across out to the player's right. And the piccolo, uh, goes straight across out to the player's right." But we could distinguish on color: flute, silver; piccolo, black.

--------------------
Truth

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Exactly. Determining saxophone on size can be hard, especially in a picture where you can't estimate the size very well. It's much more easily done on the shape of the tube right after the mouthpiece. This picture shows the differences well.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Thanks for the nice lined-up picture. That helps me understand the requirements of tube length, and putting the hands in a reasonable place but then having to fit a certain amount of tube between hands and mouth, which leads to the different top shapes.

And here is a super duper califragilistic expialidocious sized sax.

--------------------
Truth

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a very simple beginner's question about Spanish. Could someone help me get the difference between "ser" and "estar" straight, please? When you're learning from a book you can't ask it questions to clarify, and I could just memorize the examples but I'd rather get the distinction clear first so I'm confident about it.

(The other problem is that I keep instinctively thinking of the Italian equivalents of various Spanish phrases first off, which does, and doesn't help. It doesn't in this instance.)

[ 05. September 2014, 07:11: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whole books have been written trying to codify rules for what native speakers intuit by the time they're five or so! Non-native speakers will always make some slight mistakes with ser / estar. But, there are some clear lines in the sand. The basic idea is often expressed as "use ser for what something is, estar for what it happens to be right now." It's a decent rule of thumb, but won't always answer every question. There are some clear categories, some of which could be seen as applications of this, some as exceptions.

- estar is always used in composing the present progressive: estoy jugando (I am playing). It's what I happen to be doing now, but it's not essential to what it means to be me.
- estar is used for locations of things, even things that don't move. Mi casa esta en Guadalajara. (My house is in Guadalajara)
- ser is used the locations of events. El concierto es en el teatro. (The concert is in the theater)
- ser is always used with time. Son las dos (it's two o'clock)
- ser is used with profession, nationality, religion. Soy ingles, sacerdote y catolico (I'm English, a priest and catholic)
- sometimes you can make some subtle distinctions by changing the verb. Es linda (she's a pretty person); esta linda (She looks pretty right now).

To really get this you do need to keep reviewing examples and trying to pattern spot in your head. Why don't you ask about some specific contexts where you'd be unsure and that can help form your intuitions?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a post that could go in two places. either here or on the exercise thread in All Saints. I will post it here.

I have for about the last four plus months been attending a gym. This is new to me. I was told at the start that I needed to have trainers with decent cushioning (i.e. not none) but anything else would do.

As at that time all the actual trainers I had were falling apart, I bought a pair that were labelled "for running and gym". For or five months down the line I am deciding they are not a good buy. They are clearly aimed at people who either run on the treadmill or do other exercise that involves a lot of impact on the feet. They are very well cushioned but are also designed to encourage a rolling motion in the foot. I, however, tend to work more on strength building and would value a greater ability to interact with the ground; that is ability to put more of the sole of my shoe on the ground and to be more able to bend my toes when required.

If I replace them, what should I look for?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Court shoes would do that and some cross-trainers would too.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Autenrieth Road: And here is a super duper califragilistic expialidocious sized sax.
And this is how it sounds! [Cool]

PS I agree with Hart about ser / estar. Easiest rule of thimb ser is forever, estar is for a short time. But like he showed, there are many exceptions.

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is what I've heard about the Spanish verbs:

How you feel and where you are,
This is when you use "estar".
What you're called and where you're from
Here you use the other one.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Autenrieth Road: And here is a super duper califragilistic expialidocious sized sax.
And this is how it sounds! [Cool]

WOW! That's fantabulous!

Do you play the sax, LeRoc? How do you know all about them?

--------------------
Truth

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Autenrieth Road: Do you play the sax, LeRoc? How do you know all about them?
No, I'm a semi-professional trumpet player. But I spent a lot of time with saxophone players who bragged about their instruments (in both senses).

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This drove me nuts when I was studying Spanish, but for slightly different reasons--the whole question of using "estar" when referring to being a Christian as opposed to "ser," and I was very firm about using "ser" because to me being a Christian was an ontological change rather than something merely temporal, whether that was the way the language was normally used or not. (Mind you, I'd apply this principle to English also. The whole idea that perhaps this might be an obstacle to actually communicating with people (in English, Spanish, binary, etc.) was not really my focus at the time... [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Semi-professional trumpet player? I'm very impressed!

--------------------
Truth

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
ChastMastr: This drove me nuts when I was studying Spanish, but for slightly different reasons--the whole question of using "estar" when referring to being a Christian as opposed to "ser," and I was very firm about using "ser" because to me being a Christian was an ontological change rather than something merely temporal, whether that was the way the language was normally used or not.
But the correct form is (yo) soy cristiano, using a form of the verb ser. See for example this song.

quote:
Autenrieth Road: Semi-professional trumpet player? I'm very impressed!
Thank you. Playing music is nice.

[ 05. September 2014, 22:11: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
This drove me nuts when I was studying Spanish, but for slightly different reasons--the whole question of using "estar" when referring to being a Christian as opposed to "ser," and I was very firm about using "ser" because to me being a Christian was an ontological change rather than something merely temporal, whether that was the way the language was normally used or not. (Mind you, I'd apply this principle to English also. The whole idea that perhaps this might be an obstacle to actually communicating with people (in English, Spanish, binary, etc.) was not really my focus at the time... [Hot and Hormonal] )

[Confused]

But you do use 'ser' with religion, not 'estar.' Google has 858 hits for "estoy cristiano" and 831,000 for "soy cristiano." That's about 1:1000 in favor of using 'ser' for religion. I don't think I've ever heard "estar" + religion.

[Edit to add: and most of those 858 seem to be the phrase "aqui estoy cristiano soy" where the estar form actually goes with "aqui" (here) not "cristiano"]

[ 05. September 2014, 22:45: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
But you do use 'ser' with religion, not 'estar.' Google has 858 hits for "estoy cristiano" and 831,000 for "soy cristiano." That's about 1:1000 in favor of using 'ser' for religion. I don't think I've ever heard "estar" + religion.

Good Lord.

I was right after all!!! I was right after all!!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Congratulations!

(And I'm 1:1000000 in favour of 'ser' for religion [Biased] )

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So "estar" is basically used for more ephemeral things...

estoy... bored/in Madrid/reading a book

soy... European/50 years old/a bus driver

Thanks all! and especially Polly for that useful rhyme [Biased]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: So "estar" is basically used for more ephemeral things...

estoy... bored/in Madrid/reading a book

soy... European/50 years old/a bus driver

In principle yes. Age goes with the verb tener (Tengo cincuenta años) and as Hart said there are exceptions, but this is a good first rule of thumb.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lilypad - court shoes? Is this a Pond difference? From the UK side, [URL=http://court shoes uk]these[/URL] are court shoes!

M.
Bottom! The UBB code worked when I tried it on the Styx thread. Court shoes in the UK being plain heeled smart-ish shoes that one might wear at court, rather than on court.

[ 06. September 2014, 11:23: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even in the US it's one of those things where it's wise to find out what kind of court someone is talking about.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who is the guy in IngoB's avatar? I always think of him as being IngoB himself, but I know that's not true. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Portrait of Dominican (or Trinitarian) Friar by El Greco.

--------------------
Truth

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone use a VPN or similar app to view BBC from abroad? Any recommendations for my android tablet? Ta. Free or trail period (or from play store).

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My husband has just received a letter fining him for being in a bus lane. The accompanying photo clearly shows that there was a wide load coming in the other direction, which was partially in the lane my husband should have been using i.e. if my husband hadn't gone into the bus lane, our car would have been hit by the oncoming lorry, or alternatively both vehicles would have had to come to a standstill as there was no way for them to pass each other on the non-bus lane part of the road.

I've googled appealling bus lane fines, but they all seem to involve arguments that the signage wasn't clear etc.

FWIW, the lorry is clearly identifiable; the number plate is fuzzy, but it belongs to a well-known company.

Do we just write a letter saying WTF? Look at the photo! Of course we went into the bus lane!

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Lilypad - court shoes? Is this a Pond difference? From the UK side, [URL=http://court shoes uk]these[/URL] are court shoes!

M.
Bottom! The UBB code worked when I tried it on the Styx thread. Court shoes in the UK being plain heeled smart-ish shoes that one might wear at court, rather than on court.

Lol - nope, not those. More like these.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the notice you were sent, the council should have included a copy of the regulations in the area which should include a list of grounds of appeal.

There may be a traffic advocate (or angel) in your local area, who is generally someone rather miffed with the council and has trained themselves to be an expert in traffic law. You could seek them out if you know of a forum that is more local than The Ship.

I'm not such an expert, so any opinion is best left in my head, lest it mislead.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My husband has just received a letter fining him for being in a bus lane. The accompanying photo clearly shows that there was a wide load coming in the other direction, which was partially in the lane my husband should have been using i.e. if my husband hadn't gone into the bus lane, our car would have been hit by the oncoming lorry, or alternatively both vehicles would have had to come to a standstill as there was no way for them to pass each other on the non-bus lane part of the road.

I've googled appealling bus lane fines, but they all seem to involve arguments that the signage wasn't clear etc.

FWIW, the lorry is clearly identifiable; the number plate is fuzzy, but it belongs to a well-known company.

Do we just write a letter saying WTF? Look at the photo! Of course we went into the bus lane!

You could give the Scottish Parking Appeals Service a ring and ask them for advice.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Originally posted by The Alethiophlie:
quote:
In the notice you were sent, the council should have included a copy of the regulations in the area which should include a list of grounds of appeal.
They did, but none of them apply.

Apparently the correct procedure would have been for my husband to stop in the correct lane, forcing the oncoming lorry to also stop, and for them to wait until a uniformed policeman arrived to authorise my husband to go into the bus lane, thus enabling the lorry to carry on.

And, in fairnesss, since doing this would have resulted in gridlock pdq, they wouldn't have had long to wait for a policeman to appear to find out what was happening.

Thanks, Cottontail, I've phoned that number, but they can't help until Aberdeen City Council have refused our appeal. And as far as Aberdeen City Council are concerned, we don't appear to fall into any of the appealable categories.

The photo is so clear that I can't honestly believe the council won't see sense. The oncoming lorry has its offside wheels and the whole of its numberplate in the lane my husband should have been in. Only the lorry's nearside wheels are in its own lane.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone remind me which television programme this tune was backdrop to? I wrongly thought of Butterflies. It's one of my next exam pieces, and I'm enjoying getting to know it as a player - if only I play like the master himself on the day I'll be fine!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect Buffy.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016