homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's the advice in the UK about disposing of leaking batteries? Can they go to the council battery recycling place along with their non-leaking cousins?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's what I do - the important chemicals/metals are still in there. In fact, mine don't go to disposal until they are leaking, since I have one of those gizmos that perks up alkaline batteries as well as recharging NiMH and NiCad versions.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't expect anyone can answer this. Today I had to go up the garden to open the back gate for the window cleaner. I found that I had to move some soil from the path below the bottom step down from the veggie patch to the flagged part. It was lovely crumbly loam, such as does not come in a bag, and very neatly arranged to cover one flagstone.* To one side is a flower bed with young primroses I planted out about a month ago, and there is no soil disturbed. I remember that some soil had come out from the seed tray in which they had grown, but see below. To the other, another bed with a lavender bush and a rose bush, and a low dry-stone wall where I built up the soil level about a month ago, and where that soil has not been disturbed. The veggie patch has no disturbed soil. The step rests on bricks and sand, so nothing has been digging tunnels out there.
On return from being away, last week, I went up the garden to carry out war on caterpillars on the brassicas, and saw no soil. I took the hose up to wash the results off, and saw no soil. The soil had no trace of the hose lying on it, nor footmarks. I went up this week to pick beans and blackberries and saw no soil.
It has been raining on several occasions, and the soil has not become muddy.
I think I need to check for a rathole I have missed, but otherwise have no idea what has gone on.
*My native soil is yellowish clay-with-flints, but I have been working on the beds with compost and purchased top soil.

[ 10. October 2014, 14:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ants? In my experience they've always been the source of lovely fine loam in strange places.

I'm not sure why they do this, but have wondered whether they were starting to build an ant hill and then changed their minds for some reason - and the wet weather could have been a reason.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

They would have to have been very large ants - the loam grains aren't ant-heap size. But, in the meantime, I have been out to rescue my washing from its extra rinse, and to tidy up the soil better than I did this morning to allow free access to the window cleaner, and have discovered that there is now a rat run along behind the flower bed, against the clay subsoil of the veggie patch, and sheltered until now by lavender and geraniums. One has to admire the neatness of the workratship. (I have just asked my friend to let me have my humane trap back, since he rang at thst moment.) I may put down some of the lion poo I used to keep Weasley* and Douglas, the local ginger cats, out. Or ask to borrow W & D.
*W's owner was very apologetic when she told me the name - it wasn't their choice, he was a rescue cat.

[ 10. October 2014, 14:48: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have not found that cats will hunt on command. Nor are rodents all that smart. I have three cats, and the voles still come into the yard in spite of tremendous mortality!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My grandmother's cat hunted rabbit for her - at least once. And see Egyptian wall paintings. But W&D wouldn't actually have to hunt - just leave the scent around.
And rats have rather more brain than voles, or why would they be used for maze-running to test models to be applied to humans.
And I have seen a hamster apply a considerable amount of intelligence to the task of getting a carrot to its cache, which took 20 minutes of concentration and forethought.
1. Attempt to get carrot through entrance to tube while holding in mouth like pirate's sword, and fail.
2. Go down tube to position where it can turn, return and pull carrot down by one end, and push it past.
3. Climb over carrot and go all the way to the cache, which involved turning 90deg down into a cage, up another tube, another 90deg turn, along another tube and down to the cache.
4. Return to carrot, chew it in half so it was in manageable portions, take first part to cache and return for second part.

We stopped a maths lesson to watch.

[ 10. October 2014, 15:24: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, rodents are much smarter than you may think. I've seen a (small but cheeky and feisty) guinea pig show intelligence in moving a hay rack (wooden manger-type one that folds up) in order to create a barrier so she had all the hay to herself.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
...Nor are rodents all that smart...

Oh, I don't know. We have a mouse living in the front room at the moment who keeps jumping over the mousetraps. It's like a mini-steeple chase.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rodents may be smart, but my brain is fraying. Can someone come to my rescue please? I have set this computer on full screen using the F keys at the top of the keyboard and have forgotten how to undo this function.

Laptop running windows7

This means I can't access some of my favourite places. [Waterworks]

Huia - having a senior episode.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you tried F11?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use ESC.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, thank you so much. I kept trying F10 and going to a really weird place, then having to log out.

Computers can be so frustrating when you are a Bear of very little Brain

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

- Posted      Profile for Frankly My Dear   Email Frankly My Dear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst we're on the subject of computers, when mine says 'Not Responding' - well, if it knows it's not responding,, why doesn't it start responding?! ... I've never had a plain answer to this from a techy person ..
Posts: 108 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right to keep computers running several programs at the same time they all operate in their own little box. Then the Operating System tries to coordinate all those boxes so you get the right info at the right time.

Well not responding means the OS has knocked at one little boxes door and instead of getting the expected reply has got silence. Now it could be because: the program in there is really busy, it has gone deeply to sleep or it simply has died. Like schroedingers cat it could be in any of those states but as the box is sealed so that other programs can't interfere with it, you can not tell which. If you open the box to look it will automatically die. Your choice is to wait and see if it starts responding or kill it and start again.

This is a crude explanation because the boxes are nothing like boxes in reality but that helps the visualisation.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge
thesis progress (back as I was)

I wish I'd seen that quote while the Scientism debate was going.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know any good apps (Android for preference, but also iOS) or good online resources to enable a native Cantonese speaker to negotiate English? There is a newly arrived family at our child's school, and very few ESL opportunities round here.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will ask a friend who adopted a teenaged girl from Guangdong.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone tried a laser keyboard? If so, I'd be interested to know what you thought.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Has anyone tried a laser keyboard? If so, I'd be interested to know what you thought.

Not great for sensitive fingertips.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I was wondering about that...
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

This is mostly for anyone with a knowledge of Scottish authors of books for children. I've been trying to track down a book I read some time ago (30, 40 years, even).

The way my subconscious filing system works, two books with similar themes which I read on separate occasions have been merged and identified as "The Big House" by Naomi Mitchison. (The system has on a previous occasion linked to articles in Scientific American, published several years apart, about archaeological research into prehistoric drift mining and solution hollows in the Netherlands and Austria. Very clever, but can be confusing.) I have now acquired the Mitchison, and found that although some of what I remembered is in it, other material is not there.

Both books involve 20th century children having to deal with the Sidhe in a quest to put something right. I suspect that the one which is not by Mitchison is less deep, and has less to say about society. (The introduction suggests that the book was originally criticised for its political stance. Deano wouldn't like it.)

In the other book, the children had to travel across the country, possibly by magical means, to find their way into the fairy mountain of Schiehallion. In doing so, they had to visit three ostensibly ordinary elderly ladies in Pitlochry who advised them on the safest way to do this. (Are these three ladies found in Celtic mythology? I don't think spinning and weaving were involved. Not sure about knitting. And I don't think there was anything odd about their sight.) It was more like Diana Wynne Jones' work than Mitchison's, though not by her.

Does anyone have an idea about what it might be? I know that some authors have had little presence south of the border, though this book had arrived in Dartford. I didn't read it in class, so the details didn't stick well, apart from attaching themselves to Mitchison.

[ 31. October 2014, 21:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have long been familiar with the saying, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I never saw it attributed to anyone until recently. Nowadays, I keep hearing it attributed to Einstein.

I don't know a lot about Einstein, but this just doesn't feel right. Does anyone know if he said it? If not, does anyone know who did?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It wasn't from Einstein. Here is more information.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Penny S

Are you mixing your book up with Auntie Robbo by Ann Scott-Moncrieff?

It has a boy on the run from his stepmother with his eccentric great aunt and they pick-up more stray children on their journey through the highlands.

I remember a cousin getting this for Christmas years ago and she did nothing for the rest of the season until she'd finished the book - at which point the rest of us passed it around too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Odd Facebook question. I'm one of the admins of our church FB page. Another admin posted about preparations for the children's nativity play - just a routine post. As an admin I get notifications of "likes" etc which I don't pay much attention to; there are always a couple of dozen "likes" per post.

However one has just popped up from someone whose profile picture is a gun and bullets. It seemed odd so I checked it out. The "liker" appears to be a young Muslim in Pakistan.

How / why would a young male Muslim Pakistani who likes "sexy guns" find, let alone "like" a request for donations of blue and white material and tinsel posted on a Scottish Presbyterian church's FB page?

Is this odd? Is it some sort of FB spam?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
North East Quine: How / why would a young male Muslim Pakistani who likes "sexy guns" find, let alone "like" a request for donations of blue and white material and tinsel posted on a Scottish Presbyterian church's FB page?
An opportunity to convert him through decoration material!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've checked through all our "likers" (all 23 of them!) and found a second young male Pakistani; he had a photo of himself as his profile picture, so wasn't noticeable.

Originally posted by Le Roc:

quote:
What, like - "Come to Scotland, join our church and you could donate offcuts of material and empty 2 litre fizzy drink bottles to make new outfits and props for our Nativity!"

It would be a new approach to evangelism, I suppose.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Penny S

Are you mixing your book up with Auntie Robbo by Ann Scott-Moncrieff?

It has a boy on the run from his stepmother with his eccentric great aunt and they pick-up more stray children on their journey through the highlands.

I remember a cousin getting this for Christmas years ago and she did nothing for the rest of the season until she'd finished the book - at which point the rest of us passed it around too.

Thank you, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Few adults of the real world taking part, and I don't think I would have picked out a book with that title. A further memory has surfaced - interpreting a Pictish Stone was involved in the plot, possibly with an elephant-like image.

It was almost like a child's version of a later Tom Holt story!

[ 04. November 2014, 15:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Tangent//
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
North East Quine: How / why would a young male Muslim Pakistani who likes "sexy guns" find, let alone "like" a request for donations of blue and white material and tinsel posted on a Scottish Presbyterian church's FB page?
Actually, you might be onto something there. This post has already had a better response than our real-life attempt to bribe people into the church hall with free pizza.

// End tangent

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
North East Quine: What, like - "Come to Scotland, join our church and you could donate offcuts of material and empty 2 litre fizzy drink bottles to make new outfits and props for our Nativity!"

It would be a new approach to evangelism, I suppose.

You never know, it might work [Smile]

I don't know very well how FB works, but have you considered asking him why he likes your page?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've just been searching with the terms I included above - there are some daft ideas out there. Would you believe a connection between the Dogon (you know, the tribe who know, without access to powerful telescopes, about the very small companion of Sirius) and the carvers of Pictish stones?

I'm trying to get synopses of Mollie Hunter's many books.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Not that it helps, Penny S, but the Pictish elephant-like image is the one in my avatar - it's known as the Pictish beast, because it's not clear what it's supposed to be. One suggestion is that the Romans might have brought an elephant across and it's a representation of that.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for that - I hadn't realised that that was what your avatar was! I did know about the Pictish beast - but couldn't be quite sure if I had added it later. The way my brain works, it would be perfectly capable of doing that without notifying me.
I've just checked the photos from a recent trip to Ultima Thule - I have actually seen one in situ on the Maiden Stone near Aberdeen before going on to Orkney and Shetland. (It was passing the Aberdeen Waterstone's that started me on this hunt - if I'd known I was looking for two books, I might have found more about it in their Scottish Children's section.)

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The answer maybe because that is the way William Playfair did it.

Jεngiε

x-y co-ordinates go back to Descartes (17th century), which is why they are also called Cartesian co-ordinates. And he plotted y as a function of x (i.e. y dependent , x independent).
Have a little history of visualisation . There's a link between cartesian co-ordinates and artillery which would have made sense to have range horizontal and altitude vertical, but the examples there are much older.

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has there been a discussion in Ship of Fools about twins Agnes and Margaret Smith, (Mrs Lewis and Mrs Gibson)? I have just finished listening to a book called 'Sisters of Sinai' about themI had never heard of them before. . It was an excellent book and as they were so famous because of their involvement with translation of ancient manuscripts and the Presbyterian Church, I thought they might well have been mentioned. I'm afraid I'm not good at searching forthings so would be grateful for help here.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... the Pictish elephant-like image is the one in my avatar ...

I never really looked closely, but I saw your avatar as a kind of sea-horse ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Now that I've seen bigger images of it, it's not like a sea-horse at all. [Big Grin]

[ 07. November 2014, 14:35: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SusanDoris - nothing coming back from Google. I think I would have remembered such a thread cropping up on The Ship.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze

thannk you. It is clear from the book that the sisters' faith never wavered throughout their lives. I'll see if I can come up with some point which would start a discussion!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boyfie and I have been together about a year and as he has limited speech the way we communicate is through him writing, using signs, I do understand a little of what he says and when not together Facebook and texting.
He uses Makaton extensively while my knowledge is sketchy* and I would love to learn more. My question is can any one give me any pointers to sources for an adult who wants to learn Makaton.

*toilet, brother and sister etc

--------------------
God only made one of me, most people agree this is a good thing

Posts: 62 | From: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I take it you've checked out the website?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Firenze, you're an angel I'd seen that site briefly a few years ago when A and I first became friends and had forgotten all about it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by spork:
Boyfie and I have been together about a year and as he has limited speech the way we communicate is through him writing, using signs, I do understand a little of what he says and when not together Facebook and texting.
He uses Makaton extensively while my knowledge is sketchy* and I would love to learn more. My question is can any one give me any pointers to sources for an adult who wants to learn Makaton.

*toilet, brother and sister etc

I am confused, are you saying you have boyfriend type relationship with this person ? Or is Boyfie short for something else ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

Boyfie is shorthand for boyfriend sorry if that wasn't clear. I sometimes refer to him as A though.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by spork:
Boyfie is shorthand for boyfriend sorry if that wasn't clear. I sometimes refer to him as A though.

In the UK makaton courses are often taught by speech and language therapists attached to services for people with a learning disability. I am unclear if this is appropriate for the two of you.

[ 12. November 2014, 17:41: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

Both A and myself have Cerabral Palsy. Some of my friends (incl. A) who attended special schools were taught it a there.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know if there exists an English translation of Ernst Bloch's Thomas Müntzer als Theologe der Revolution and if so, where one might obtain a copy?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
German Suhrkamp Publishers have Bloch's complete works. Why not send them an e-mail (in English) asking about an English-language edition? I'm sure they can help. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd expect the British Library would, if such a thing had been published in the UK. Their catalogue says not though - they have other works in translation but not that one.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A research query, for a novel set in England in the 1860s:

I have here a (fictional) church that is no longer in use, part of a ruinous castle. It was probably closed down as part of the Reformation in England. The local (fictional) peer keeps it more or less in shape because of the ancestors buried within, but services are now held in the Protestant church in the village.

Is it possible for the peer to continue burying his relatives in this church, or the churchyard, even if it is deconsecrated and no longer in use? I assume that his Protestant clergyman can preside over any obsequies. Perhaps someone knows of a real-life instance of this kind of thing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016