homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone here ever heard of a condition where someone just can't bear having things on their head because of pain? Mr. Lamb just went in for a hearing aid consult and we are running up against the everlasting lifelong problem--he can't wear a hat or glasses or a neck-ID-chain or now, apparently, the lightest of hearing aids, because inside of one minute they give him a headache. Which explains how the man manages to lose ten pair of glasses inside a year.

He's been this way from childhood, and certainly as long as I've known him. I think the only thing I've ever seen on his head in any weather is possibly a hoodie--and that's a bit doubtful, I'm not sure he keeps THOSE on for long either.

It's a major problem as he's not able to use the helps you need for deafness or bad vision. And I don't think he's snowing me about the pain--he's been anti-hat etc. forever.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
My godmother (widowed, living alone near London, adult children but not living anywhere nearby) was recently killed in a road accident. The police, or authorities anyway, managed to notify her children quite quickly. Does anyone know how they know that there are people to contact, and where to get hold of them? I don't think she had one of those emergency bracelets: I suppose she might have had some addresses on her, or of course numbers on her 'phone.

I asked my Police friend. If there's no ID, the first thing they do is contact the Missing Persons Bureau. This may take a few days as it could take a while for someone missing to be reported. If there's no success there, then they have to resort to fingerprints and/or dental records.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lamb Chopped
Have you tried hypnotism? I only ask because a family friend who used to hyperventilate and then pass out when wearing any sort of strap or safety harness went to a hypnotist when it became clear they couldn't be in cars, even as a passenger, without wearing a seatbelt. It took about a dozen sessions but they got to the stage where it was possible to go for very short journeys (c5 minutes) and has since built up to being able to go from London to Norwich - c2½ hours.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Has anyone here ever heard of a condition where someone just can't bear having things on their head because of pain?

A friend's son has something like this. I've never asked her for medical details, she always describes it as a "sensitivity disorder."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Has anyone here ever heard of a condition where someone just can't bear having things on their head because of pain?

A friend's son has something like this. I've never asked her for medical details, she always describes it as a "sensitivity disorder."
A friend posted a link to this article yesterday. It's a mother writing about her child, and a very severe case indeed, but she describes some similar symptoms and names them as 'sensory processing difficulties'. Someone else in the comments below speaks about 'Sensory Processing Disorder'. I don't know if any of it will ring a bell with you.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
My godmother (widowed, living alone near London, adult children but not living anywhere nearby) was recently killed in a road accident. The police, or authorities anyway, managed to notify her children quite quickly. Does anyone know how they know that there are people to contact, and where to get hold of them? I don't think she had one of those emergency bracelets: I suppose she might have had some addresses on her, or of course numbers on her 'phone.

I asked my Police friend. If there's no ID, the first thing they do is contact the Missing Persons Bureau. This may take a few days as it could take a while for someone missing to be reported. If there's no success there, then they have to resort to fingerprints and/or dental records.
Thanks

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think it's sensory processing disorder, as it's very narrowly confined (head and neck only) and he shows no other signs of any sensory issues. I'm kind of wondering about some of the nerves that serve the neck and head. (And wondering what I'm going to do if it turns out that nothing helps and he simply chooses to go ungracefully blind/deaf rather than put up with constant headache, leaving me to cope with his lack of interface with the world, including me).

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LC--

Re Mr. Lamb losing lots of glasses each year:

If you're having to pay for them, you might check out some of the online optical stores. I get mine from Zenni Optical. Prices are as low as $6.95. They've worked well for me. (I occasionally lose them, too.)

FWIW, YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

In case of emergency information. There's some minor programs to get people to put the information on their cell phones under ICE. It's a second thing to do after putting the information in your wallet.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am lucky that I rarely have to see the doctor but this morning I had to go to the hospital. The letter inviting me said I would be seeing 'Dr. Bloggs'.

When I went in, she introduced herself as a consultant. Is this a new thing? Since when have consultants been called 'Dr'? I thought when you became a consultant you became much too grand to be 'Dr' and reverted back to 'Mr', 'Mrs' etc? Certainly last time I saw a consultant, she was 'Mrs'.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was surgeons who were Mr/Mrs/Ms. So a non-surgical consultant would still be Dr. But as the only consultants I know are friends that I call by their first names, I'm not an authority!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, Scots Lass, I think you're right!

Thanks.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, only surgeons (ie those who pass their surgical exams after qualifying, not just a doctor performing surgery) are addressed as Mr/Ms etc as a courtesy. I believe that this tradition dates back to the medieval period when we had barber-surgeons who performed surgery and who were not doctors. A consultant physician would use Doctor.

[ 26. March 2015, 11:18: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm pretty sure that historically at least the two titles (Mr vs Dr) were the other way around in terms of "grandeur." Dr meant you'd been trained in medicine, possibly at a university, or at least through a kind of apprenticeship. Surgeons, who were basically barbers with a bloodletting sideline, did not get that courtesy.

Of course now every surgeon has the training which would allow him/her to choose as s/he pleases between the forms of address.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
whilst on a long-ish drive recently (down the M74 and M6) I noticed that all the wind turbines we drove past were turning in a clockwise direction (when viewed head on).
Is there a reason for choosing clockwise?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always assumed they turned the way the wind blew as they are wind powered. So maybe they were all blowing clockwise because the wind was blowing them that way?
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
no, they are able to spin round to catch the correct direction of the wind so they are always getting it "face on", and the shape of the blades will then dictate that they spin clockwise

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there anyone that can help me with finding a microfiche copy of a UK newspaper from the late 1970s?

The online UK national newspaper archive for this period is under embargo due to removal and digitization, and it looks like my best hope might be a friendly Shipmate at a good university library or similar in the UK.

This is a one-off request and would involve looking at a couple of dates only.

Alternative suggestions welcome, or if you can help, please PM me.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You learn something new every day :)And makes total sense when you think about it. Maybe they just chose clockwise as the default. I googled it and apparently they used to spin counter-clockwise until 1978 when a company changed the direction to be different from the competitors. Clockwise became more popular so now they are all made that way. I don't know if this is all true or not, but if they previously spun counter-clockwise it seems it is just personal preference, rather than any scientific reason.

[ 27. March 2015, 23:27: Message edited by: Mili ]

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi! I'd like to take advantage of an Easter ham sale, but seeing as it's only my dad and me, I'd like to cut the half ham into ham steaks. Through the bone. Therein is the problem. Is there any implement of destruction for home use which will cut a bone-in ham into ham steaks?

(Unfortunately I can't ask the store meat cutter to do it since the ham is inexpensively priced because it is prepackaged and doesn't require the services of the meat counter staff. [Frown] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this a leg joint? I think my response would be, rather than cut cross sections, to thinly slice off the bone. Or, if I wanted the meat in bigger bits, to bone the joint - keeping the bones for stock, of course.

Otherwise, a small hacksaw.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, you will find it easier to 'chunk' the ham into large bits. shove them into freezer bags and freeze them for future use. Each chunk can then be sliced into slices when you are ready to cook it. The bone should be saved separately, for soup. Trying to cut it is likely to be difficult, and lead to annoying sharp shards of bone.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Is there anyone that can help me with finding a microfiche copy of a UK newspaper from the late 1970s?

The online UK national newspaper archive for this period is under embargo due to removal and digitization, and it looks like my best hope might be a friendly Shipmate at a good university library or similar in the UK.

This is a one-off request and would involve looking at a couple of dates only.

Alternative suggestions welcome, or if you can help, please PM me.

Don't individual newspapers in the UK have their own morgues? Most here in the US do, usually on microfiche. Granted, you might have to go to the paper's HQ and hunt through the reels yourself.

Alternatively, locally-run papers will sometimes offload their old microfiche to the local public library to save newsstaff the bother of tending to people wanting access to their morgues.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Porridge - a great many local newspapers are long vanished, and the only trace of their passing is the deposit copies in the National Libraries. There used to be a dedicated newspaper library at Colinton, but the British Library have been digitising the collection and relocating to The St Pancras site.* If it's a Welsh or Scottish paper, there maybe a copy in the respective NLs, but otherwise if the County Record Office doesn't have it, you're up against it.

*And there's a pretty low cap on how many microfiches you can order up in a day. And don't get me started on Reader Tickets. Bitter, moi?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yikes. That's dire.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I realised this week that I am used to stations of the cross starting on the north side of the church and ending on the south, but it only occurred to me as I saw them going the other way. Is it just coincidence I've always seen them starting on the north side or is it more common to go one way or the other?
Choccie

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
usually start on the north side - though our catherdral statrted at the south side using temporary pictures.

There is a form where you go backwards on thisd day, called Maria desolata.

I must be getting old - thois year was the first time I couldn't manage all those genuflections - back pain.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Firenze and Brenda. I bought the ham and am cutting it into chunks, no hack saw involved. Besides we had beef pot roast for Easter dinner, after all. Go figure.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Does anyone know what has happened to Susan Howatch? I am a big fan of her Starbridge books, but she does not seem to have written any novels since 2004 (after producing one every couple of years for the previous I-don't-know-how-many-years).

I believe she has effectively retired from writing - given that she is 72, this doesn't seem unreasonable. She is now enjoying spending more time with friends and family.
Some great writers are able to produce worthwhile books until they die.
For me Graham Greene, P.D. James and Iain Banks are in that category.

Some great writers just stop.
Len Deighton and Anthony Price spring to mind, and indeed Susan Howatch.
I can but be thankful for the joy they gave me.

Some writers produce a few good books, and go on producing and selling dozens more on the strength of those first books.
Alistair MacLean, Desmond Bagley and Tom Clancy are prime examples of writers who would have been wise (but not as rich) to stop after their first three or four books.

I sort of miss the anticipation of the next book by Deighton or Howatch, but probably it is good as it is.

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is about kitchen skills, and thus perhaps on the wrong thread? Does this go on the recipe one?

I'm currently experimenting with 2 different types of frying pans, both antisticky coated, and both from the German manufacturer WMF that I want to compare. They're sturdy and fairly rugged, which is brilliant. One is aluminum, the other 'cromargan' - this appears to be a special kind of stainless steel.

Question now: Subjectively, I haven't found any big difference between the 2 types of frying pans. Does the educated gourmet chef notice a difference? Are they both for different kinds of food, and/or temperatures?

(Note: And what about 'sticky', non-coated e.g. stainless steel frying pans? - Honestly, I'm still suffering from the childhood kitchen trauma of being barely able to clean these old, sticky ones...! I've got other, non-coated cromargan pots, but not for frying, and those work very well indeed.)

Thank you for your kitchen-educational hints. [Smile]

[ 12. April 2015, 12:51: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't speak about the WMF cutlery.

As for traditional (in other words, NOT non-stick coated) frying pans, IME the reasons for things getting stuck are various: using the wrong type of oil (something with a high smoking point like rapeseed oil is perfect); excessive fiddling with meat and fish (you need to let the bottom of the foodstuff cook before attempting to move); putting food with a high moisture content into a pan that is too cool.

My preferred pans are steel skillets I bought in France years ago which are never washed, just wiped out with warm oil. I keep the omelette pan separate, but the rest are general, all-purpose and are now nearing 40 years old.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are those the really heavy ones? ETA: But not cast-iron? I don't think I could manage those!

[ 12. April 2015, 19:13: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I have three different-size cast-iron skillets which have been in continuous use by various generations of cooks in my family since about 1870.

Having been perfectly "seasoned" by someone (likely my great-great-grandmother) long ago, nothing which has been correctly cooked in them (see L'organist's post) ever sticks to them. They just get wiped out and oiled. Only the largest (for cooking red flannel hash in for a table-full of hired farm hands) ever gets too heavy to wield.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were discussing egg and ham pie, also known as gala pie, over tea - as you do, and wondered how the egg in the middle of the slice is the same diameter all the way though, and there is always a yolk to the egg. Can anyone tell me how gala pie is made? How is the egg put in?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had never thought about the eternal egg, but I looked it up and found this from the Guardian website, of all places:

In my less troubled maturity, I discovered that the infinite egg is a simple trick, particularly if you consider the sort of ingredients to which a craftsman pork butcher has access. A quantity of eggs are separated and the yolks loosely beaten together before being poured into a narrow gauge of sausage skin - perhaps the sort of casing used for chipolatas. After a few minutes in hot water the yolk "sausage" can be peeled and then carefully inserted into a larger skin along with the combined white, for a further poaching. Of course the creation of the authentic unappetising grey ring around the yolk is, and must ever remain, a trade secret.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! Easy when you know how [Yipee]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albert Ross
Shipmate
# 3241

- Posted      Profile for Albert Ross   Email Albert Ross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The grey layer in a boiled egg is formed when iron from the yolk reacts with hydrogen sulphide from the white. http://www.chow.com/food-news/54897/why-do-hard-boiled-eggs-turn-green/

--------------------
Elegant, concise and full of meaning.

Posts: 80 | From: Thames Estuary | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A question brought about by me drinking coffee when I should not have drunk coffee - decent-tasting decaff coffee available in the UK? Instant if possible, and fairtrade/ethically sourced would be a bonus. I like a strong roast.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

My favourite brand of decaff is Swiss La Semeuse, paradoxically enough - the country's not exactly known for its coffee, generally! However, from what I can see, there's no UK distributor ATM. Shipmate Smudgie (or someone she knew) once tried this coffee and was pleasantly surprised. It is full-bodied and rich, without being bitter.

US site: link.

Main site: link

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
I have three different-size cast-iron skillets which have been in continuous use by various generations of cooks in my family since about 1870. [...]

Thank you, everyone, for your skil(et)ful, carefully pan-ned out advice! This is really helpful (and sticks to my mind). [Smile]

I now think my pan-cleaning trauma may've been due to wrong usage of non-coated pans by my forebears. Good to know more here. The weight issues I had with cast-iron could simply be because I haven't owned any for most of my adult life. (I'd still be afraid to bring it crashing down on a glass-ceramic coopktop, though...)

While thinking about my questions, I'm afraid I have to admit that I've finally checked Wiki, and lo and behold, there are a lot more insightful points in these articles. [Hot and Hormonal]

Still: do you notice a difference between a non-stick aluminium and a non-stick stainless steel pan?

Thank you again. I'm learning a lot on this thread!

Wesley J, Chef Non-Extraordinaire

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
A question brought about by me drinking coffee when I should not have drunk coffee - decent-tasting decaff coffee available in the UK? Instant if possible, and fairtrade/ethically sourced would be a bonus. I like a strong roast.

Clipper coffees, which are fairtrade, are IME not bad, and have a certain amount of oomph (unlike Cafe Direct, which seems to be specially blended to go with melamine cups in church halls). Percol are also pretty good, and have a fairtrade range. Haven't tried either's decafs, though, as I never drink decaf by choice.

[ 14. April 2015, 14:03: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about Taylors of Harrogate ? I haven't tried their decaff but regularly drink some of their others as it is available in Waitrose. The have a mix of certificates, not all the coffees are certified fair trade but their ethical policy is good.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
How about Taylors of Harrogate ? I haven't tried their decaff but regularly drink some of their others as it is available in Waitrose. The have a mix of certificates, not all the coffees are certified fair trade but their ethical policy is good.

I drink Taylors' decaff regularly, it is really good.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had their decaff (filter/cafetiere), and agree it's good.
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've no idea whether it's good or not (not being a coffee drinker) but Oxfam sell decaff, fair-trade instant coffee.

[ 18. April 2015, 18:40: Message edited by: JoannaP ]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know the POTUS can only serve two terms, in office. Is this the same for Senators and Congress people, Mayors and other elected politicians?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I know the POTUS can only serve two terms, in office. Is this the same for Senators and Congress people, Mayors and other elected politicians?

No, some people have served more than fifty years.

There is a move to set term limits; it's making some progress.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Term limits are a double-edged sword, though.

Pro, it may help rid the legislative body of its more incompetent or tinfoil-hat members (though I have my doubts about this).

Con, learning the ropes of how to get things done legislatively takes considerable time, so you run the risk of sweeping experience & knowledge out with the tinfoil.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are no term limits for lobbyists. Term limits for legislators ensures that they will be less experienced in their roles than the lobbyists dealing with them, hence increase lobbyists' power.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016