homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Ricardus- very clearly explained and just the sort of answer I knew I could rely on the Ship for.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rereading Pride & Prejudice I was confronted by an old question: how does one pronounce the last name of Lady Catherine de Burgh? I grew up saying Burr, the wonderful BBC adaptation used Burg, while a recent unabridged audiobook went for Borg. Is there any way of knowing, or does it all come down to personal preference?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Howzaboot "deBurf?" [Biased]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd say Burg, since that's how the BBC and most British people I know would say it. She is English after all.

Cattyish, Scottish.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But, in both Scotland and England, "burgh" at the end of a place name is pronounced "burr". It's only in America, I believe, that it's pronounced "burg".

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question for my cousins across the pond. What are "plus fours"?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
But, in both Scotland and England, "burgh" at the end of a place name is pronounced "burr".

Really? I've always pronounced it like 'borough' or 'burra'. 'Edinburgh' has four syllables for me, even though one is written without a vowel.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Thank you, Ricardus- very clearly explained and just the sort of answer I knew I could rely on the Ship for.

Thank you!

I've been thinking about it a bit more (having a very exciting life as you see) and I think one has to add two caveats:

1. I'm struggling to think of any case where the difference between 'state of being __ed' and 'act of __ing' constitutes anything more than a matter of perspective - e.g. in the case of adoption, whether you look at it from the parent's or the child's point of view. Which kind of reinforces Firenze's point that it's basically arbitrary;

2. There are many words that that don't end in -ation because they're built on Latin past participles that don't end in -at[um], e.g. action, junction, fusion are derived from actum, iunctum, fusum.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
I have a question for my cousins across the pond. What are "plus fours"?

Knee britches, essentially. Except they have an extra 4 inches in length which, when hoicked up and tucked into your argyle sporting socks, gives the the typical baggy-kneed silhouette. De rigueur golfing wear between the wars, not so much seen nowadays.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are, or were, also plus twos, plus sixes, and plus eights, with suitably varying degrees of bagginess.
I used to wear plus fours occasionally in my fogey youth. Jolly comfortable.

[ 28. May 2013, 09:21: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
There are, or were, also plus twos, plus sixes, and plus eights, with suitably varying degrees of bagginess.
I used to wear plus fours occasionally in my fogey youth. Jolly comfortable.

Were these variations longer and shorter or baggier? I found every possibility on Google images, and it was Tintin's trousers that looked most convincing to me.
(And of course Google images always throws up some pics that have nothing to do with the subject, including frilly baby knickers in four colours, a birthday cake, and a young woman wearing nothing but a tub full of golf (?) balls.)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

AIUI, plus two less baggy (because less surplus cloth), plus sixes and plus eights baggier.
I think this genre of garment may be better known to trans-pond shipmates as 'knickerbockers'.
Yes, like Tintin's trousers, although mine were definitely not worn in homage to that revoltingly eager-beaver little Belgian.

[ 28. May 2013, 10:49: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is any UK shipmate a member of the CSMA? I'm wondering whether I've missed their regular offer of free tickets to County Championship cricket matches - possibly through skimming the magazine and then binning it. It may be defunct as I can't find a mention on the web page under "offers", but I'd like to be sure... If you are, and you still have it, could you check May's magazine please?

Many thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
But, in both Scotland and England, "burgh" at the end of a place name is pronounced "burr".

Really? I've always pronounced it like 'borough' or 'burra'. 'Edinburgh' has four syllables for me, even though one is written without a vowel.
I pronounce burgh at the end of a placename as burrah. Edinburgh has four syllables for me, too. But I pronounce Catherine de Burgh as "Burg". No idea why.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But, in both Scotland and England, "burgh" at the end of a place name is pronounced "burr". It's only in America, I believe, that it's pronounced "burg".

I don't think "burgh" is ever really pronounced "burr", is it? Edinburgh, for example, is either pronounced with three syllables (Ed - in - bruh) or four (Ed - in - bur - uh).

I hear a lot of Americans successfully avoiding rhyming it with iceberg, only to end up with something close to Ed - in - burrow.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
De Burgh is originally a Dutch name, so it should be pronounced with a long, rolling chch at the back of the throat [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
De Burgh is originally a Dutch name, so it should be pronounced with a long, rolling chch at the back of the throat [Smile]

Or "de Beau" in America? [Devil]

The lady's name is actually de Bourgh, not Burgh, but vowels in English names tend to have a certain optional character.

Debretts offers "de Burg" as the correct pronunciation of "de Burgh", although some hypothetical de Burgh calling himself Deborah wouldn't be out of line.

As for the lady herself, with an 'o', you could make a reasonable case for either Burg or Borg. There's almost no chance of a soft 'g' on the end.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any coin collectors out there?

Sifting through my tip jar and came across a 1922 silver US dollar. Looks like it might have some value. Any idea how to go about getting the best price for it, and how much that might be?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

LC:
quote:
There's almost no chance of a soft 'g' on the end.
I bow to your superior knowledge, but why not? Place names have a soft "g", although I concede I got the number of syllables in "Edinburgh" wrong. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Sifting through my tip jar and came across a 1922 silver US dollar. Looks like it might have some value. Any idea how to go about getting the best price for it, and how much that might be?

I wouldn't get your hopes up - AIUI old coins aren't really worth very much unless they're either very old or special editions, simply because, by their very nature, coins are mass produced. But I'm not an expert by any means.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

According to this site - one of many that come up when googling for 'value 1922 US silver dollar' -,
quote:
A Normal relief coin (the most common variety) will be priced between $17.00 and $175.00 according to wear.
They also give spectacular values for mint-condition ones.

I imagine that it might well we worth a few bucks, but not very much. Perhaps it's worth to enquire more? Mostly, don't get overexcited, nor tricked by any potential buyers, if you decide to part with it.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was wondering if anyone has experience of the 'daily Prayer Rosary' book?

Any comments - is it good?

Thanx

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Percy, I think that might be a question for the Ecclesiantics people.
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Ariel. I did wonder, but thought its not liturgy but personal devotion, and so thought a general enquiry...

However will take your kind advice and try there.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure if anyone has the appropriate local knowledge, but it's always worth a try. I'm going to be in Austin, TX later this week for a wedding and in my free time, I'd love to do some swimming in Lake Travis. I've found online that there are a bunch of parks you can do this from, but I can't verify that any of them have lockers. I'll be on my own and I don't really like the idea of leaving my car keys on the beach while I swim. Does anyone know of anywhere that has these, or if they'll look after keys at the place where you pay admission?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prior to the First World War, Aberdeen (and, I assume, many other places) had nuns in a teaching order who came from a variety of countries. There were several French nuns, and at least one German. This set me wondering - when enemy aliens were being interred during the First World War, what happened to German nuns? Were they interred?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Not sure if anyone has the appropriate local knowledge, but it's always worth a try. I'm going to be in Austin, TX later this week for a wedding and in my free time, I'd love to do some swimming in Lake Travis. I've found online that there are a bunch of parks you can do this from, but I can't verify that any of them have lockers. I'll be on my own and I don't really like the idea of leaving my car keys on the beach while I swim. Does anyone know of anywhere that has these, or if they'll look after keys at the place where you pay admission?

Let me call my sister and I'll get back to you. She lives there. Don't miss lunch at The Oasis if you can manage it: has a beautiful view and is one of the largest restaurants in the country!

(I put in a call and am waiting to hear back)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister said to call the local parks and recreation department or find their website. I think the lake is in the city of Austin, but it may be under the aegis of the county. Good luck!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Prior to the First World War, Aberdeen (and, I assume, many other places) had nuns in a teaching order who came from a variety of countries. There were several French nuns, and at least one German. This set me wondering - when enemy aliens were being interred during the First World War, what happened to German nuns? Were they interred?

I hope that, for all the rabid anti-Germanism of 1914, the worst that happened to them was that they were interned [Smile]
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[Hot and Hormonal]

Indeed! I wondered what would happen to a German nun, living in a British convent, when Germans were being interNed during WW1.

Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fairly sure only men were interned, and then only within a certain age range (based on Judith Kerr's memoirs)

Mainly men, from what I can make out from this

Suspect nuns would be classed as low risk...

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there anyone there who knows London Heathrow airport well and can tell me, is there anywhere there still open to the public (landside) where you can go and watch the planes taking off and landing? I know years ago it used to be the Queen's Building but I assume that is long gone. I have a plane-mad little boy coming to stay with me soon and thought it would be nice to take him out there to watch the planes.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Planespotting at Heathrow used to be the highlight of my half-term holiday when I was a girl, but with recent events the spectators' area has now been closed. Unless you're actually travelling, when you'll get to see them from the terminal windows, you now have to go further down Bath Road to what used to be the visitors' centre, I believe. Heathrow's guide for spectators.

It isn't quite as glam but maybe City Airport might do? I haven't been able to find out whether they're having the London City Airport Fun Day this year at the start of July, but if they are your little lad might enjoy that.

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know how to remove the little grease stains that blutack leaves from painted walls?
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WD40 removes most oily and waxy stains from painted walls, even wax crayon.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'll be on my own and I don't really like the idea of leaving my car keys on the beach while I swim.

It's probably too late for this trip, but I picked up several different sized Aquapacs for a recent trip to Hawaii for the same reason (and to keep sand out of my cameras and phones). Their Keymaster model was perfect for a car key, ID, credit card, and some cash. It all stayed nice and dry. My boardies all have some form of a pocket (velcro or zipper) to keep it in.

For the ladies, or guys who prefer banana hammocks, the Aquapacs come with lanyards to tie around a wrist/ankle/waistband. I found mine online, but some higher-end outdoor outfitters carry them too, like REI.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/keymaster-fits-asthma-inhalers-uss608.html

[ 17. June 2013, 20:34: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I might get an aquapac next time I go surfing without my wife. As I get older, I work less and am spending more time surfing in the off-season. Our 2013 Ford Focus Titanium does not have a "key" as such, just an electronic fob which the car senses is in your pocket and opens the doors. You push a button to start the car. I would be in a world of hurt if that was the car I took to the beach.

Last time I went surfing was in February before I bought the new car and the rented Chevrolet Cruze had an electronic key, so I buried it in the sand!

Next time I go surfing, I'll have to take my old surfer wagon and it no longer has an electronic fob, just a metal key I can put on a string in the pocket of my board shorts before I don my wetsuit.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got the Keymaster for my carkey and cards/cash, the Mini Whanganui for my iPhone (had to remove the iPhone case to make it fit), and the Mini Camera Case with Hard Lens for the camera. All three kept out the sand and water over 2 weeks of beach, surfing, and snorkelling and all look as good as new. If your pocket camera has an extending lens, get the one with the hard lens. If not, the Small Camera Case would do the trick.

The "secret" (it's on the packaging) is to inspect the seal area each time you close it up for any stray sand, hair, or other bits of stuff that can keep the seal from forming properly. Rinse it well in fresh water after use to get rid of any salt/sand.

Speaking of surfing...I tried it for my first time on Waikiki about 2 weeks ago. It was awesome! Sadly, I'm too far from a beach to get into it. [Frown]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've recently read a book, written in the 1960s, in which one character refers to another as having "his ears too high on his head". This expression seems to suggest that the person is not to be trusted, in the same way as "having his eyes too close together". I'm not sure if this is just a 'private' expression used by these characters, or if this term was in more general use.

Google does not seem to be my friend on this. Has anyone else come across this expression?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
Does anyone know how to remove the little grease stains that blutack leaves from painted walls?

With the caveat that I've not actually done this myself, I would try using a small dab of Swarfega* on a piece of paper kitchen roll. Swarfega is my all-time choice for removing oily marks on anything, especially fabrics. (Followed by hand soap and then water on a fabric, but I guess that an impermeable surface such as a painted wall won't need them). Of course, it might happen that the Swarfega takes the paint off the wall, in which case, don't blame me! [Two face]
Angus

*UK terminology. I regret that if this product is unknown across the pond I can't help with alternative names or suggestions.

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

Speaking of surfing...I tried it for my first time on Waikiki about 2 weeks ago. It was awesome! Sadly, I'm too far from a beach to get into it. [Frown]

I took my Gordon and Smith surfboard to Honolulu on United Airlines when I was 20: I was a moderately experienced surfer at the time living in the La Jolla Shores neighbourhood of San Diego. It was August and there were no waves at Waikiki or Makaha where I drove in a rented car. Fortunately I had a two-island tour and went out with some success in Kona and Hilo though I tore up my feet a bit on the volcanic sea floor. I mostly stick to northern San Diego County these days and go to Malibu County Line (LA / Ventura) if I am meeting my brother. I believe my late father surfed on a redwood board in Hawaii during the last war. He was also born in LA but never surfed locally though he did teach me and my brother to bodysurf.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the advice, people. For this trip, locking things in my car and just taking the non-electronic key with my worked fine. I could have tied that round my wrist or safety pinned it inside shorts, but the lake end up being quiet enough that I could keep an eye on my stuff while swimming.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that rubbing bread on them would do it. Worth a try anyway.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blotting paper and then press with a warm iron - if you can't find blotting paper then brown wrapping paper will do, matt side onto the stain. [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Bread does get rid of grease stains and some black marks, and is a gentle way of doing it. However, I haven't tried it on Blu-Tack, which isn't the same kind of grease as butter or oil, and doubt that it would work.

There are lots of suggestions on the internet but they only seem to have limited success or none at all. I'd suggest looking for some kind of stain remover in your local hardware shop - Stain Devils have a comprehensive range and there might be something there, if you can get them where you are.

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I read a review a while ago - say a year or two - of a book about the rosary, recently published, written by a RC priest who has a particular love of / ministry with the Rosary - I think he was Irish...

Can anyone help with a title?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bread is also useful for gently cleaning the covers of old books.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I read a review a while ago - say a year or two - of a book about the rosary, recently published, written by a RC priest who has a particular love of / ministry with the Rosary - I think he was Irish...

Can anyone help with a title?

Hmmm. Is there any chance that you are thinking of The Rosary: Chain of Hope, by Father Benedict Groeschel? I think that was published in 2012. I don't think he is Irish, but I could be wrong. [Smile]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Patrick Peyton?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best budget Chinese in London's Chinatown? Doesn't have to be authentic but would prefer it if it was. Noodles (in soup and ho fun especially) preferred to rice dishes.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016