homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question! There is a cat who lives up the street from my parents' (he definitely has a home) who is what looks like an un-neutered male - you can tell his sex from across the room - but has the loveliest, most gentle nature. Loves belly rubs, doesn't mind being picked up, loves pettings and isn't noisy. He has also never sprayed, that I've seen, and since my mum gives him treats we see him a lot. He is a big cat but tall rather than stocky, with long legs and radar ears, and small paws for a male cat. Is it possible that he is neutered and his balls just stayed big? He just doesn't act like an un-neutered male at all.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've just got this kitchen trolley, second hand, for not much dough. I'm planning to use it as a mobile workbench, similar to that in the article; it doesn't have to look great, to start with. It's birch wood.

You'll want to clean out any 'crud' that has built up down in the cracks as best you can. Then get some good wood glue. In the US we have a brand called Tightbond that works well. After working the glue down in the cracks, you'll want to put clamps on the whole thing to squeeze the joints together like this. On that size, 2 clamps should do it. Clamp it for 24 hours then sand it smooth to remove any glue that squeezes up from the cracks.

The easier option is to work some wood filler into the joints and then sand it smooth after it dries. No clamps to deal with and it'll probably hold up just as well unless you're really beating on that surface.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the advice. I think for now we can get away with not contacting cousin Ray. If my father deteriorates or such then we will have to reconsider especially if Dad has not left a contact number in an obvious place.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:
I've just got this kitchen trolley, second hand, for not much dough. I'm planning to use it as a mobile workbench, similar to that in the article; it doesn't have to look great, to start with. It's birch wood.

You'll want to clean out any 'crud' that has built up down in the cracks as best you can. Then get some good wood glue. In the US we have a brand called Tightbond that works well. After working the glue down in the cracks, you'll want to put clamps on the whole thing to squeeze the joints together like this. On that size, 2 clamps should do it. Clamp it for 24 hours then sand it smooth to remove any glue that squeezes up from the cracks.

The easier option is to work some wood filler into the joints and then sand it smooth after it dries. No clamps to deal with and it'll probably hold up just as well unless you're really beating on that surface.

Thank you, ML! - In the meantime, I've found out that the previous owners stored the thing in what seems a somewhat damp cellar. So that's where the cracks are from, then.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lumosity -- actually a useful service for mental training worth $5 a month and a few minutes each day of your time, or a rip-off based on pseudo-science? Thoughts, please!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hart, I use it daily without paying the monthly fee. Doing this doesn't allow me to chart my progress in detail or see weak spots. I do, however, get to do three of the five games daily (including practice of these three in a one-off session) and then my score is charted according to how many personal bests or top five scores I get. It's quite nice to see the scores gradually rising. The games rotate daily, and the two you don't get to play are from the same range as the ones you do, so you get a go at all of them eventually.

Obviously a great amount of it is down to learning rather than getting "cleverer", but the variety and quality of games is good and I do feel it is at least keeping my brain active. It seems to energise me for the day a bit, too, if I do it in the morning after my breakfast.

Definitely give the free version a go and see how you get on with it. I like it enough spasmodically to think "I may pay for the full version".

My brother pays for Happy Neuron which he also finds really good - it has been invaluable to him as he trains his brain to regain his language and memory after a stroke. It's a bit more expensive and a bit more Americanised but better for him as it focuses more directly on language as one of its key areas. Happy Neuron does not allow free access to the games, though, unless you do a trial subscription.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wes, if it were me, I'd go the wood filler route. Then if after a few years it starts falling apart, I'd take the top off and replace it with two layers of 1/2" plywood glued together and sanded smooth. It wouldn't look as nice as the butcher block style, but it wouldn't ever crack and would be just as stable.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Lumosity -- actually a useful service for mental training worth $5 a month and a few minutes each day of your time, or a rip-off based on pseudo-science? Thoughts, please!

The evidence so far is no.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have an old Black & Decker hammer drill that I've had for years and years but don't need to use it much. When I last used it a few weeks ago it was fine, but when I got it out again yesterday it isn't working. I've tried changing the fuse but that doesn't help. I don't have the instruction leaflet any more.

There is a button on the side of the drill which I seem to remember is some kind of "reset" button, but pressing that doesn't make any difference.

Any advice appreciated on what I can do to get it working again - or should I just give up and get a new one?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What model is it? It ought to say somewhere on the machine. You/we could then google/duckduckgo/startpage for a manual, and perhaps for advice on similar problems people had. - That's at least what I normally do for a start; it sometimes even works! [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What model is it? It ought to say somewhere on the machine. You/we could then google/duckduckgo/startpage for a manual, and perhaps for advice on similar problems people had. - That's at least what I normally do for a start; it sometimes even works! [Biased]

I don't know if the manual would be available, the drill is at least 30 years old!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might be surprised and find it available, Sparrow.
Question: does the chuck rotate when twisted? Might need to be forceful with it.
Two reasons to try. One, it might be frozen. Two, in motors with brushes, the brushes can develop a "flat spot". Rotating it might allow it to move. Also check the cord for breaks.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

You might be surprised. Search Google using the model number from the serial plate and you may find the manual.

If it's 30 years old or more, it leads me to wonder if it may be one of the old metal housed ones. If it is, then it breaking is the best thing that could happen to you. Any metal housed power tools should be replaced with plastic* ones. The "vintage" ones look cool and have a certain nostalgia to them, but that metal conducts electricty. If the motor inside arcs, it will zap you. They're also very heavy compared to plastic ones.

*Plastic/polymer/glass-filled-nylon/whatever that stuff is.

[ 30. July 2013, 19:17: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Yes, it is a metal housed one and very heavy! I think you are probably right, time for a new one.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

[Eek!] Get rid of that death machine! You'll be surprised at how much easier the lighter weight is to handle. Here's a comparison from Popular Mechanics of some popular models. It looks like the one from Rigid would be a good choice.

I have an old metal housed Craftsman drill (complete with nylon braided electric cord). I don't use it but I keep it because it's one of the only things I have of my grandfather's.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I've Rigid cordless tools and they are terrific. Durable and reliable.

BTW, Monkeyliizard, your link does not work for me.

[ 31. July 2013, 14:12: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's possible that this is the link monkeylizard intended.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's an old drill, check if it has replaceable brushes. Many of these have two caps which hold the brushes in and over a long time the brushes wear out and usually can be replaced.

Metal housings are dangerous if the drill isn't grounded. In the US this is a three prong plug. The weight may be a problem but it also damps the vibration for those of us with bad wrists.

Black and Decker invented the hand drill (or gets credit in the US) and originally made fine tools. Over time they cost engineered the quality out to make it a cheap consumer tool. They then bought DeWalt, which was a professional tool maker and started engineering the quality out.

Rigid used to make very high quality plumbing tools ( and calendars of extremely pneumatic models). I believe the Home Depot DIY hardware store bought a license to their name and is making consumer grade tools. They still make the expensive and high quality pipe threaders, but I'd look at the drills carefully.

Milwaukee is still an expensive and high quality drill and tool supplier. Their 3/8 hammer drill is the tool to buy if you have to drill holes in concrete. It's also worth buying a few of their expensive drill bits even if you have a cheap drill rather than use cheap bits.

[ 31. July 2013, 17:46: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I don;t know if we have Rigid in the UK, I've never heard of them. Black and Decker are the leading manufacturers here.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have two Black and Deckers. The 1/2" has a metal housing and I don't use it anymore. I also have an early bottom-of-the-line 1/4" which came with no reverse. It does have a plastic housing. I plan to use it next month to install a wall-shelf in the dining room. I've never had any problem with either of them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I don;t know if we have Rigid in the UK, I've never heard of them. Black and Decker are the leading manufacturers here.

Rigid is now the Home Depot house brand.

As Palimpsest mentioned, they used to be pretty much indestructible, but are now somewhat cheaper. As an example, old Rigid sump pumps had a lifetime warranty. The new, basically identical, ones have a warranty for only a few years.

Rigid kit is still pretty reasonable, though, and in my experience, Home Depot doesn't nitpick on the warranty.

[ 31. July 2013, 19:25: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

IME, Black and Decker are acceptable for occasional use. Ridgid take serious use. Bought mine online with the Ridgid name, but in the UK they are AEG. Same tools.
De-Walt are also very good.
Neither of these may be the absolute best, but price/performance for them are difficult to beat.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

I used it for a while, during a free offer. They had some good games (esp. the one with the birds, IIRC). But I didn't want to spend the money to continue. (Though if you're on their mailing list, they'll periodically offer you some free time.)

I use the following games/puzzles, instead, and have found them to stretch my brain and help with some neuro glitches:

--BrainBashers.com. Free.

--GamesForTheBrain.com Free.

--Games that came free with my computer: Solitaire, Freecell, Purble Place, Mahjong Titans, Chess Titans. Most of them didn't come naturally to me, so learning them was a lot of work. But I've found unexpected benefits, like remembering names more easily. And they were great at getting me through some depression.

--I periodically pick up more cheap games on CD at office supply stores. They run $5-10. I usually go for educational ones, or ones that develop non-violent strategy and skills. (E.g. Chuzzle and Jewel Quest.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key, if you liked those, you might like Mensa puzzles. I found Sudoku very good for sharpening up thought as well, during a period of brain fog.

[ 04. August 2013, 07:06: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Have you ever come across an alternative to sticky tape for fixing to the top of venetian blinds - my bedroom faces west, high up, and really heats up in the afternoon - I tried hanging an old sheet sprayed with water over the top but need a temporary fix that can be redone each day. I really need to replace the blinds with curtains. (My mind has just got to work on this. The windows are the full width of the room, so there's nowhere to pull them right back to allow the full effect of the view - I have just realised I can get a curved end to the rail. But meanwhile, I need to fix the sheet to the blinds.)

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Penny. How about adhesive Velcro tape. One side could be stitched to the sheet and the other stuck to the top of the blind

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

What's the total width to be spanned? And height? How easy would it be to affix hooks to either walls, ceiling or window frame?
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Width - nearly 3 metres. The windows are about a metre high.
The frame is a rather poor example of UPVC. The wall is plasterboard hiding the steel frame construction of the structure (as far as I know - when I had a wooden rail fitted in the living room, it was quite easy for the fitter. In the study downstairs, the fitter had a horrid job with something more like plywood. I wasn't watching there.
The blinds have a top piece of metal which will hold a magnet (can't find any nice strong ones in any shop round here, fridge ones wouldn't do).
Stick on velcro might do, but I don't want the thing to be permanent either on the wall or the sheet, and I know the stick on velcro doesn't stay stuck well on fabric if stressed.
I really want a quick temporary solution, so I can put it up and take it down each day. It won't be hot enough to need it in a few weeks! I even wondered about Blutak!
If I get round to hooks, it will be for the curtain rail, I think.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

[ 04. August 2013, 16:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Rare earth magnets are very strong.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My place of work (a not-for-profit with a teensy budget) has been offered some new office furnishings by a corporation which is updating.

The furnishings include standing desks -- computer work stations at counter height at which one can stand rather than normal desk height where one sits. (Sitting can be available if you add a bar stool, I understand).

Do any shipmates have long-term experience with standing computer stations? My computer work requires speed and concentration on word-processing material. Any advice? I'm tempted to put my dibs in, but want to know about potential downsides, as once it's mine, it'll be a loooong commitment.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Thanks - and reasonable. Though I am abjuring Amazon at the moment.

I've been looking up bay window curtain rails, as I want to have the curtain come back round a corner on the side near my bed, possibly with a cord. Turns out that I can't have it corded at one end at that size, unless I pay about £400. I'm sure there used to be a DIY way of cording curtains simply.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Do any shipmates have long-term experience with standing computer stations? My computer work requires speed and concentration on word-processing material. Any advice?

No experience with that as such, but how are you at standing for long periods of time, e.g. commutes (ever tried using a laptop while standing on a train?), concerts, long queues? Prone to backache at all?

Are the workstations adjustable? You might not be the right height for a particular one: I'm thinking RSI/strain on the wrists here. It's usually easier to adjust a chair than a desk. Can you experiment by approximating the conditions at home?

What are the company replacing them with? I'm guessing they're offloading for something a bit more conventional. (No sign of most offices clamouring for them.)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Do any shipmates have long-term experience with standing computer stations? My computer work requires speed and concentration on word-processing material. Any advice? I'm tempted to put my dibs in, but want to know about potential downsides, as once it's mine, it'll be a loooong commitment.

I do not, personally, but I knew a programmer who did use one. He would alternate between the stool and standing. Seemed to work for him. Though he was physically sound, average weight, no joint or back problems. And tall.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I wondered about the off-loading, too. What I've seen of the stuff is all very blonde & brushed-aluminum & sleek-scandinavian-curvy, and they're a law office. I think it was somebody's Major Taste Mistake.

I can stand for fairly lengthy periods (and that, frankly, is the reason for my interest -- getting up off my a**). Also, as noted, I can always get a tall chair for when I need a sit-down.

My real concern: will I be able to think and concentrate on writing @$#! monthly reports (i.e. 3-4 page works of jargon-larded creative non-fiction detailing the goals we've met and made progress on with individual clients on my case load) when they're due? When I'm standing at home, I tend to be in motion, and these monthly reports -- 44 of them every damn month -- generally have to be compiled and written in the course of 4 working days, and if not submitted correctly & on time Medicaid can withhold our money (and I would get fired).

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have suggestions about the best kind of glue to use to put a cover back on a paperback? All the pages of the book are still together, but they won't be for long if I don't get the cover back on.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Here is one to try, Moo.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you do end up with the "perfect bound" paperback coming apart, there's a fairly good description of repair here. The glue that lilBuddha mentioned plays a key role here, too.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's possible that this is the link monkeylizard intended.

Yep. Thanks. I don't know what went wrong between the COPY and the PASTE.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel--

Thanks for the games link! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to people who gave feedback on lumosity. I think the conclusion I've reached is that if I have time and keep on finding it fun, it's probably more productive than wasting time on buzzfeed or something, but less so than going for a run, reading the news, reviewing Hebrew verb paradigms, cleaning my sink, etc. I was just trying to calibrate it!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
quote:

I've been looking up bay window curtain rails, as I want to have the curtain come back round a corner on the side near my bed, possibly with a cord. Turns out that I can't have it corded at one end at that size, unless I pay about £400. I'm sure there used to be a DIY way of cording curtains simply.

Where are you located Penny? I recently had a London based firm come and put up a curved curtain rail round my front room bay window. They were very helpful.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
quote:
quote:

Where are you located Penny? I recently had a London based firm come and put up a curved curtain rail round my front room bay window. They were very helpful.
North West Kent. I had John Lewis do a curved rail downstairs, but it was much shorter. The straight stretch of this one is nearly 3 metres, and no-one seems to want to do that length with a cord at only one end (where I would be able to pull it from my bed!) How long was yours?
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

About 4 metres with two bends in it to fit round the bay. I didn't have a cord but they would have done it if I wanted it. I can PM you their details if you like.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
About 4 metres with two bends in it to fit round the bay. I didn't have a cord but they would have done it if I wanted it. I can PM you their details if you like.

Yes please. It does seem to be the cord that is a problem.

I like to sleep with the curtains open and the window open. If I read in bed first, the moths come it. A cord would mean I would not have to get out to open up the view of the sky in the dark!

In my youth, I needed blackout curtains. Then I had new windows fitted, and took all the fittings down for the men, who decided not to do that room when they said they would. So I went to bed without bothering to put everything up again and found I could sleep through with no problem.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have bought some curly curtain rail. I have consulted my Readers Digest "How to do just about anything" which has said something along the lines of "some track comes with cord ready fitted, or you can do it yourself" and then TOTALLY FAILS TO TELL ME HOW!

I can work out a way of cording it to open the curtains, but not how to do the close without leaving cord dangling across the window when it is open. And I know my parents had done it on old fashioned curtain rails about 50 years ago without any professionals.

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone had any success in mending Le Creuset stoneware? I unthinkingly put frozen fish fillets in my baking dish and popped it in a hot oven, whereupon it cleanly cracked in two, right across the middle. It's such a clean break that it seems like gluing might work, but I wasn't sure if there was anything that would hold up to being cooked and washed.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have bought some curly curtain rail. I have consulted my Readers Digest "How to do just about anything" which has said something along the lines of "some track comes with cord ready fitted, or you can do it yourself" and then TOTALLY FAILS TO TELL ME HOW!

I can work out a way of cording it to open the curtains, but not how to do the close without leaving cord dangling across the window when it is open. And I know my parents had done it on old fashioned curtain rails about 50 years ago without any professionals.

Does this help, it would take more detail but you need to remember you are pulling on a loop not a single string and actually it is moving a master glider.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:
Has anyone had any success in mending Le Creuset stoneware? I unthinkingly put frozen fish fillets in my baking dish and popped it in a hot oven, whereupon it cleanly cracked in two, right across the middle. It's such a clean break that it seems like gluing might work, but I wasn't sure if there was anything that would hold up to being cooked and washed.

I'm sorry to have to say it is extremely unlikely that this can be fixed so as to survive cooking and washing [Frown]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:

Before you consign your beloved baking dish to the scrapheap I'd get in touch with Le Creuset, asking what can be done to repair it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

Does this help, it would take more detail but you need to remember you are pulling on a loop not a single string and actually it is moving a master glider.

Jengie

Thank you - I had a nose around on that company's site but hadn't found that page. I'm only going to be hanging one curtain, pulling in one direction, but with a curve at one end to take the fabric away from the glass which nearly fills up the whole wall. The problem with the loop is going to be keeping the cord from falling down when it isn't a track with a slot for it (because those tracks will not allow me to do what I want - they are most emphatic about it). Maybe a weight on the operating loop will keep it taut.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016