homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The loop runs both along the top and bottom of the rails. One of the sides of the loop goes through the glider the other is blank.

Jengie

[ 10. August 2013, 12:22: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
when I checked this thread, just the last post, to see what was being chatted about, Jengie's post was at the top of a fresh page. For the life of me I can't imagine what the blazes the subject is! I scoured me brayne for something that has loops and rails and a glider. And I resisted the temptation to look at the previous page.

But now I AM going to go look. [brick wall]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since this seems to have gone unanswered ...

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I have a question! There is a cat who lives up the street from my parents' (he definitely has a home) who is what looks like an un-neutered male - you can tell his sex from across the room - but has the loveliest, most gentle nature. Loves belly rubs, doesn't mind being picked up, loves pettings and isn't noisy. He has also never sprayed, that I've seen, and since my mum gives him treats we see him a lot. He is a big cat but tall rather than stocky, with long legs and radar ears, and small paws for a male cat. Is it possible that he is neutered and his balls just stayed big? He just doesn't act like an un-neutered male at all.

Both my young male cats were unneutered when I picked them out at the local shelter. When I was let into their enclosure, they were huddled up together in one corner, and when I sat on the floor, one immediately came up to be petted and soon rolled over to have his belly rubbed. While the other took a couple of minutes to decide to come close and be petted and after a little while had had enough, the first cat wanted all the petting he could get.

So I'd say you probably just know a very mellow cat.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
when I checked this thread, just the last post, to see what was being chatted about, Jengie's post was at the top of a fresh page. For the life of me I can't imagine what the blazes the subject is! I scoured me brayne for something that has loops and rails and a glider. And I resisted the temptation to look at the previous page.

But now I AM going to go look. [brick wall]

Noooo! Don't look! It'll be curtains for you!
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished reading the diary of a 12 year old who was killed when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. I made me realise how little I know about why Japan went to war. All the war history I did at school focussed on the war in Europe or various battles New Zealanders fought.

Can anyone suggest a starting point from for finding out more about the Japanese?

(Hosts, I'm not sure if this might be better as a thread in Purg, but I'm posting it here first as I want fairly specific information).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia

You should first look at the Russian-Japanese hostilities of 1904-5 and then go onto read about the Japanese invasion of China (Manchuria)in 1931 - this will give you a beginning for the Japanese in WWII. The ceding of the Korean peninsula was also a factor, plus the Japanese exploitation of native unrest in some colonial possessions - notably those belonging to the Dutch - gave the Japanese opportunity to encourage localised unrest.

The Japanese were invading SE Asian countries before the war began in Europe and long before the Americans came in after Pearl Harbour.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As L'organist said, it goes back further than the official start of WW2. If you're specifically interested in what led to the Empire of Japan attacking the U.S, then here is a short version of what led up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Keep in mind the Japanese expansions that had been going on since the turn of the century that L'organist mentioned.

There's some nuance left out in that summary. There were people in the Emperor's advisors that tried really really hard not to go to war with the U.S. Even Admiral Yamamoto knew that it was only a matter of time before Japan lost if they went after the U.S. He said in a letter to the prime minister that In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success. 6 months to the day after Pearl Harbor, the U.S won the battle of Midway which was the turning point in the Pacific theater.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks L'Organist and Monkeylizard, with the little I have read your suggestions make perfect sense. That's one of the difficulties with history, the roots of an event often lie much further back, so finding a place to start can be challenging.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure it requires a thread of its own (tell me if you think it does though) but has anyone here been InterRailing? I turn 25 in February so next summer is my last chance to do it on a youth pass. I have only been as far as France and Belgium and have always wanted to see Eastern Europe. I am happy to travel alone and use youth hostels. I would probably want the 22-day continuous or month-long pass, so I can see as many countries as possible.

Edited to add - Ruth, thanks. He is un-neutered.

[ 15. August 2013, 13:28: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A question for Polish speakers, please. Maximilian Kolbe whose feast was observed last Wednesday - how should we pronounce his name, please? Google Translate offers "Kol-beh" (short 'e' as in 'get'). Can I trust Google [Eek!] ?

thanks

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have very dark hair and no grey hairs. My father is in his late sixties with the same colour of hair and no grey hairs. My grandmother died in her early nineties with the same colour of hair and no grey hairs. All this is good. But suddenly I've developed grey hairs in my eyebrows. I don't want to look like a reverse Alistair Darling so I pluck them madly.

How come my eyebrows are going grey but my head hair isn't?

[edited to stop stupidity on a fairly stupid post anyway]

[ 17. August 2013, 11:02: Message edited by: chive ]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eyebrows are their own creatures.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
A question for Polish speakers, please. Maximilian Kolbe whose feast was observed last Wednesday - how should we pronounce his name, please? Google Translate offers "Kol-beh" (short 'e' as in 'get'). Can I trust Google [Eek!] ?

thanks

Wikipedia has that too. In addition, if you just enter 'Kolbe' there, you'll find quite a number of famous German-origin people with that name. His father was an ethnic German (according to Wiki), so it certainly makes sense, IMO.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If in may copious free time ( [Killing me] ) I wanted to get better at chess, how should I go about it? I know the rules, but I've never really studied the game much at all beyond that. Against the free chess game that comes with Windows, I can beat the computer on its easiest setting just over half the time, which I think probably makes me pretty bad.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My dad's answer would definitely be learn a few standard chess openings, and learn to stop giving away your pieces, if you haven't already.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, find a human who is better than you to play with - either in real life, or I gather that there's an internet chess server that my chess-playing godson frequents, which contains players of a wide range of standards.

Computer chess programs tend to be a bit idiosyncratic.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I have very dark hair and no grey hairs. My father is in his late sixties with the same colour of hair and no grey hairs. My grandmother died in her early nineties with the same colour of hair and no grey hairs. All this is good. But suddenly I've developed grey hairs in my eyebrows. I don't want to look like a reverse Alistair Darling so I pluck them madly.

How come my eyebrows are going grey but my head hair isn't?

[edited to stop stupidity on a fairly stupid post anyway]

Eyebrows are typically the last part to change. Know one knows why hair colour varies on the same head.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At 5:30 this morning I was woken by a beeping sound in my kitchen -- sounded like someone pushing the buttons on my microwave. I went to see what was going on, and my microwave clock read "99:99." Went back to bed, the beeping started again. I unplugged the microwave.

There didn't seem to be any electrical storm last night, and all other clocks are o.k.

Any idea why this would happen? Do I need to dispose of my 11-year-old microwave and get a new one? Or do I call an Exorcist???

[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly caused by a power surge.

Switch the microwave back on and then proceed to set the clock.

In other words: if all else fails switch off, wait and then start again.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get out of the house now!

Run! Run!

11years?! Likely a fault within the microwave itself, though possibly a wiring fault. Plug the microwave into a separate circuit, if it happens again, there is your answer.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My microwave oven trips the circuit breaker every now & then. Its annoying to go to the basement to re-set it. Only happens every couple of months. But sometimes it happens several times in 1 day GRRR

Question: How can I keep bread from getting moldy as long as possible? I know some smarty will say "Buy it fresh every day". Does keeping it in the refrigerator help any? What about freezing it?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Question: How can I keep bread from getting moldy as long as possible? I know some smarty will say "Buy it fresh every day". Does keeping it in the refrigerator help any? What about freezing it?

How long does it take you to use a loaf? I bake my own, so it has no preservatives. Once cool, I put it in a plastic bag (flimsy supermarket one usually) and thereafter I reckon it will keep 3/4 days - by which time, if not before, it's used up. I keep extra or emergency bread in the freezer (not the fridge - that doesn't really work for bread). Once unfrozen, I expect the bread to stay usable 2/3 days.

So if you can't obtain bread in small enough units to match your consumption, I would subdivide it into amounts which you would expect to consume within, say, two days, bag each portion and freeze. Use as required.

[ 28. August 2013, 15:57: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I put the slices (in pairs) in resealable and reusable plastic bags, and disperse them around the freezer in odd corners. Takes a bit of time, but it's much easier than defrosting a whole loaf, and saves me from overloading the compost bin. Bread goes mouldy in the fridge as well.

If I've been very good and made my own, I have to slice the lot at once.

If I've been slightly good and bought at the local proper bakers, they slice it for me.

If I've not been good, and picked up some marked down wholemeal bread at the supermarket, it's already sliced.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

If you are using shop-bought bread then keep it in a cloth bag in the breadbin - and buy smaller loaves.

The alternative: make your own dough - large batch - but only bake as much as you need, keeping the rest in the freezer. When you need more, bring the next batch of dough to room temperature, knead and prove and then bake.

A good cookware shop should have loaf tins of varying size or just make rolls.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you bake your own bread, use buttermilk. It keeps the bread fresh longer.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've decided it's time for a new microwave. (Unfortunately, since this town is the home of the USA's largest university and they just moved into the dorms last week, the pickings are pretty slim.)

When I've had power blips in the past, I heard one longish beep (like when it tells me it's finished) and the clock goes to 00:00, not 99:99. Also, my answering machine (yes, I still have one!) is plugged into the same outlet, and that wasn't affected.

So thanks for the advice. I guess I can cancel the exorcist.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pigwidgeon--

Do you have any pets that roam about? Might they have played with the microwave?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Pigwidgeon--

Do you have any pets that roam about? Might they have played with the microwave?

One dog, who was asleep next to me in bed -- until the beeping woke her as well. She couldn't have gotten up on the kitchen counter anyway.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My microwave oven trips the circuit breaker every now & then. Its annoying to go to the basement to re-set it. Only happens every couple of months. But sometimes it happens several times in 1 day GRRR

Sometimes a circuit breaker goes "soft" and trips when it shouldn't. Before you call the electrician to swap the breaker or replace the microwave, if it's a plug in unit, try plugging it in to another circuit if you can and see if the problem goes away.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Thanks for all the bread tips. Tho I'm an excellent cook ( it's the truth ! ) my only failing category is yeast dough. I usually buy 'better' breads at the store.

And thanks for the microwave advice. I'll try it.

--------------------
Oinkster

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks for all the bread tips. Tho I'm an excellent cook ( it's the truth ! ) my only failing category is yeast dough.

Breadmaker. I've found Panasonic to be sturdy and reliable and not expensive. For all the effort it is - less than 5 minutes - it's worth it. I have just the basic model, but cycle through white, white-with-sesame-and-poppy-seeds, white with Parmesan, challah, brioche, brown, seeded brown, oatmeal, wholemeal, honey-and-sunflower seed wholemeal and a few others.
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Thanks Firenze. I got to work googling bread makers, reviews, prices, etc. Down the right side on one page was "Most popular Q & A's about bread machines"

After a couple of predictable Q's about the loaf sinking in the middle, gluten-free bread,etc, there was this:
  • Q: What are the top 10 hypoallergenic dog breads?
    A: No dog breeds are truly hypoallergenic. There are only 'low allergen' dogs. Bichon Frise, Poodles etc. Read More »
    Source: wiki.answers.com

ROTFLMBO.

--------------------
Oinkster

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back to keeping bread for longer, I used to have trouble with bread going mouldy in the bread bin until I started putting a little container of salt in there with the bread. The salt absorbs the moisture in the air, and needs to be changed when it looks wet, but it does work. I've had very few problems with mould since I started doing this.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most ordinary British bread stays reasonably edible for 4 or 5 days or so, and its good for toast for another 3 or 4 after that. Goes stale rather than mouldy unless you keep it somewhere both warm and damp. Loads of preservatives I suspect. Though the same is true of the organic sourdough bread I buy sometimes.

French-style bread goes a bit stale or chewy on the second day. Pitta bread seems to go off quite fast too - I suspect that's because the stuff I get from local Turkish supermarket has no preservatives or additives, not even salt - or so the bag boasts.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I am still mildly boggled by the idea of bread being around long enough to go mouldy.

Mind you, besides the regular breakfast attrition, I have a good many culinary uses - crumb toppings, extender for meat loaf, stiffener for lentil bake, Brown Tom etc.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New question - has anyone used stevia leaves (fresh) for sweetening?

After my blackberries, sweet every other year, turned out to need far too much sugar this year, I thought of using the leaves and bought a couple of plants from the garden centre.

I don't have any idea how much to use, or if I have enough plants to maintain a sensible supply.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Many stevia varieties have a bitter aftertaste. This is why the processed products will often have either a chemical counter or undergo a mechanical process to reduce this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have chewed a leaf - it wasn't awfully bitter, but one leaf wouldn't have been sweet enough, either, so I don't know what enough would have been like.
One of the brands said that they extracted it like a tea, so I might try that. Timing might be critical.
The woman in the garden centre said her mother uses it in her porage, snd did not mention bitterness.

[ 30. August 2013, 19:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

If blackberries are bitter try this: wash and then put into pie (or whatever) with a large spoonful of honey and the juice of an orange...

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago I had a link to a website which was laid out like a spider diagram and linked all genres of music along a "if you like that, you may well like this" sort of style. You'd just click on the bubbles on the spider diagram and hear the music, and all the bubbles linked to it would be of a similar or overlapping genre. Anyone know a)what it was, b)whether it's still around and c) where I can find it again? I can't remember for the life of me what the website was called, and googling hasn't helped so far.

Needless to say, the website was free, but you couldn't download the music, you could only listen to it on that site.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
If blackberries are bitter try this: wash and then put into pie (or whatever) with a large spoonful of honey and the juice of an orange...

Thank you - but they aren't bitter, just not sweet. And I'm trying to avoid any extra sugars. The health advisor I spoke to at a fete on Saturday was even doing down fruit as having too much sugar in it. Aargh!
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Years ago I had a link to a website which was laid out like a spider diagram and linked all genres of music along a "if you like that, you may well like this" sort of style. You'd just click on the bubbles on the spider diagram and hear the music, and all the bubbles linked to it would be of a similar or overlapping genre. Anyone know a)what it was, b)whether it's still around and c) where I can find it again? I can't remember for the life of me what the website was called, and googling hasn't helped so far.

Needless to say, the website was free, but you couldn't download the music, you could only listen to it on that site.

Pandora?

Though now I'm not sure. I have a visual memory of something older than Pandora that was like that. I think Pandora uses similar technology, but it doesn't have that sort of diagram. Still thinking about this one, because I know exactly what you mean!

[ 04. September 2013, 16:49: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

There's an app called Discovr Music that is arranged like that.
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is this one Every Noise at Once

or maybe this one
Music Map

--------------------
Less is more ...

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not certain whether to kiss you or trample your Hat, Kat. Brilliant sites, but I can see much time spent...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was it Misicovery ? - which is a site I think I discovered courtesy of The Ship some time back.

ETA And if I could spell, I'd have written MUSICOVERY [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 05. September 2013, 06:35: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We eat 1-4 slices a day, of a bought wholegrain loaf. We put the sliced loaf in the freezer, and take out not more than 6-8 slices in a bag in the fridge. Works for us. We never know when we'll be out for lunch, or decide to get something totally different.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:

We eat 1-4 slices a day, of a bought wholegrain loaf. We put the sliced loaf in the freezer, and take out not more than 6-8 slices in a bag in the fridge. Works for us. We never know when we'll be out for lunch, or decide to get something totally different.

GG

If you take sandwiches to work, using frozen bread keeps the filling fresh, and the bread will have thawed by lunchtime.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I've been lately trying to read more about the actual making of politics. I hesitate to even ask for recommendations here, because I know there are thousands of books where people, often minor players write a book to tell their side of the story. And all books tell one side of teh story or another, but sometimes they also in the course of it reveal a ton about the process and how it was done. For instance, Kissinger's memoirs, for instance are fascinating and I recommend them to anyone whether they worship him or violently hate him. I learned a lot about politicking as well as about Vietnam and the Nixon presidency. Master of the Senate was even better for that and a brilliant book to boot. What else? I've read some of Churchill, and he's interesting but spends too long on exactly how many of what kind of ship for my patience instead of talking about why he said what he said to persuade people to agree to making the ships. Should I go back to Churchill, or who do you recommend?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

If you want an insight in the backstairs of politics and government in the UK in the latter half of he 20th C, I'd recommend Alan Clark's Diaries. Minor politician, major lecher and gossip though.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016