homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » At the movies - what are you watching? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the movies - what are you watching?
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The summer movie blockbuster season is upon us again - have you seen any movies you've either particularly enjoyed or disliked? Are you planning to go see something you're particularly excited by (maybe even a smaller scale film)?

* 've been to see a couple of films recently, including Iron Man 3 (fun with an amusing twist, but kind of forgettable)and Star Trek Into Darkness (very entertaining popcorn movie, but felt like the build-up to something more rather than complete in itself). * 'm next hoping to see the new Superman film, Man of Steel, which * hope will be a lot better than the very weird Superman Returns.

What are you watching at the movies?

[ 21. September 2014, 11:35: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Monday Mr Marten and I went to see Behind the Candelabra, which I enjoyed very much. Both Michael Douglas and Matt Damon were excellent, the costumes and sets were fabulous, and it actually was quite a moving love story.

I remember seeing Liberace on the TV quite a lot as my mum was a fan!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, oh, I can't wait to see that, Pine Marten!

A friend and I went to see Gatsby and loved it in spite of a few irritating liberties taken with the novel. I'm glad we saw it at the movies and didn't wait for the DVD. Big powerful stories deserve the big screen. I'm sure Liberace does, too.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My last two cinema trips were to see the early Doctor Who films during half term, they were accompanied by lectures on Daleks (given by a close friend) and it was very enjoyable to revisit the wobbly sets/hand drawn scenery/blatant sexism/Julian Clary lookalikes etc.
The Liberace film is definitely on top of my to do list, it sounds wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone seen the will Smith and son movie, after earth ?

The critics are slating it, but I just want to enjoy the CGI.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joss Whedon's 'Much Ado about Nothing'* opens next week. Our local Shakespeare company is hosting a special first-night showing.I'm looking forward to attending.

(*Yes, I know it's William Shakespeare's and that Joss Whedon is just the director!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished seeing 40 movies at the Seattle Film Festival.

Much Ado About Nothing was good, although it really gets moving when the physical comedy starts. Be prepared for American accents.

20 feet from Stardom profiles the Black Backup Singers who have sung with The Rolling Stones, Lou Reed, Elton John. It gives you a new perspective on songs you've heard so often that they are elevator music.

Five Dances is a dance rehearsal film about a gay 18 year old dancer trying to make it in New York City. The lead is an amazing dancer.

The Bling Ring is a fictional account of a group of Los Angeles teenagers who started a robbery spree targeting their favorite celebrities like Paris Hilton. Drugs, Shoes and mindlessness.

BlackFish is an alarming documentary about psychotic orcas held at Sea World theme parks.

Populaire is a French comedy version of Pygmalion about a speed typist in 1958.

Frances Ha! is a new Noah Baumbach comedy about a dancer in New York City who is failing to survive as her friends become successful. It's a weird cross of King Of Hearts and Woody Allen Comedies

Key of Life is a Japanese comedy about a failing actor who ends up exchanging lives with a mob hit man.

Putzel is a comedy about a New York Lox seller who can't leave the upper West Side, before he meets the right girl.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found Behind the Candelabra thought-provoking and terribly sad. The performances are wonderful.

Don't eat before you go, though. They don't warn you about some rather icky plastic surgery scenes.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've seen the blockbusters, but the last film we saw was Peeples , a small comedy produced by Tyler Perry. It was at a second-run house and we were the only ones in the cinema Monday afternoon. It was our anniversary and we wanted something to do before dinner when we both had the day off. It was nice to see some old friends like Melvin van Peebles, David Alan Grier, S. Epatha Merkerson and Diahann Carroll in character roles. It was much better than Meet the Fokkers which may have inspired it.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Much Ado About Nothing was good, although it really gets moving when the physical comedy starts. Be prepared for American accents.

It's an American film with American actors -- what were you expecting?
[Confused]

(P.S. I speak with an American accent myself having lived in the U.S. all my life.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Possibly the worst of all possible worlds: American actors pretending to do an English accent a la Dick Van Dyke. :shudder:

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

(P.S. I speak with an American accent myself having lived in the U.S. all my life.)

I'm an American as well. Many Shakespeare films use British actors or American Actors who can do British accents. The Director talked about the conscious choice of using an American accent.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last film we saw was called "We Are Northern Lights". Last year, as part of 2012 Year of Creative Scotland, the directors invited people to make a short video (or more than one) about their daily life in Scotland. They had over a thousand submissions, of which 121 made the final cut. It ranges from musings on a dying way of life in the islands to a city boy at T in the Park. It was funny, sad, moving, uplifting, tubthumping, thought-provoking - I loved it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
quote:

Possibly the worst of all possible worlds: American actors pretending to do an English accent a la Dick Van Dyke. :shudder:
Americans see British actors doing American accents every day, in movies and all over our prime time TV. It might be time to get over Dick Van Dyke doing a cockney accent in "Mary Poppins." It's been half a century.
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
quote:

Americans see British actors doing American accents every day, in movies and all over our prime time TV. It might be time to get over Dick Van Dyke doing a cockney accent in "Mary Poppins." It's been half a century.
Yeah, but our actors are better. Sorry.

Anyhoo, I think old Willy Shakespeare’s plays contain messages that are universal, so if Americans do a version of one of his plays and it’s good enough to stand up there with the best then fine. If Russians, Chinese, Indian or Tanzanians do a version of one of his plays is good enough to stand up there with the best then that is also fine.

Shakespeare can be performed anywhere, not just in the Globe Theatre. If old Willy were alive today he’d be in Hollywood writing the next Arnie, Sly, and Bruce blockbuster, but it would be better than blockbusters being written nowadays.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Anyhoo, I think old Willy Shakespeare’s plays contain messages that are universal, so if Americans do a version of one of his plays and it’s good enough to stand up there with the best then fine. If Russians, Chinese, Indian or Tanzanians do a version of one of his plays is good enough to stand up there with the best then that is also fine.

Shakespeare can be performed anywhere, not just in the Globe Theatre. If old Willy were alive today he’d be in Hollywood writing the next Arnie, Sly, and Bruce blockbuster, but it would be better than blockbusters being written nowadays.

I found the Wheedon film version a successful transition to a Los Angeles power structure.

There are times however when Shakespeare is not always universal. Shakespeare in the Bush

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Yeah, but our actors are better. Sorry.

Bull. British actors get actual training.
In the U.S., we hunt for photogenic people, and then, after we find them. hope they can act.

Besides, British actors do so much more than Shakespeare. Have you ever watched Hugh Laurie on House? I defy you to tell he's a Brit from his speech.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Has anyone seen the will Smith and son movie, after earth ?

The critics are slating it, but I just want to enjoy the CGI.

At the risk of sounding bombastic, there was a time when I thought M. Night Shyamalan was re-inventing the horror film. Not that I was a HUGE fan(I'm rarely tempted to watch his movies more than once), but he really did seem to be fashioning his own unique vision, as opposed to the constant onslaught of formulaic slashers and Ring-wannabes that have been overrunning the genre lately.

But there was nothing particularly innovative or insightful about After Earth. CGI-driven action/adventure piece, with a hackneyed Father Challenges Son theme.

I don't know if his downward trajectory started with The Last Airbender, because I haven't watched it. I know a lot of people didn't like Lady In The Water, but I thought it was cute and clever enough.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There are times however when Shakespeare is not always universal. Shakespeare in the Bush

That was fascinating, thanks for that link!
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to see Man of Steel last night. Really enjoyed it, found it fresh and exciting. I think that it's more a very good science fiction film that becomes a superhero film toward the end - it's a bit like Batman Begins for Superman in that a lot of the elements (but not all) we associate with an iconic character fall into
place toward the end of the movie.

It definitely isn't my dad's Superman, and there is a pretty controversial decision toward the end, but I found it thrilling and am looking forward to the now inevitable sequence. If you are looking for the campy 1970s Superman you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a fresh spin on a familiar superhero I can't recommend it enough.

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Serious Man by the Coen Brothers. Thoroughly Jewish - a man in midlife suffers a whole load of crises and seeks help from various rabbis, all of whom are useless.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

On Thursday I'm going to a (free!) screening of LOVE FREE OR DIE about Bishop Gene Robinson.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not our choice!

I think we'll see Man of Steel when it's been out for awhile - maybe see it at the second-run movie theatre not far from the house.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post 
Just got back home from seeing 'Man of Steel'. Not quite sure how I would rate it. You should not compare it with the earlier Superman films, because it is different.

The effects were pretty amazing (but nowadays, they mostly are!). The storyline was a little different, but not so much so that it confused. IMO, the choice of cast worked well. The downside for me was the amount of explosions / destruction of things, but that is how the film industry does it nowadays.

Would I recommend it? To those of you who like the Superman genre... yes!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A film simply called 'F'.

The basic story is of a school teacher who is assaulted a pupil, not backed up by the school's 'leadership team, who needs to a drink a bottle of whiskey before he can face a class again. he loses it.

That is true to experience - I speak as a trade union rep. who has had to deal with such cases.

Then it morphs into a horror film with marauding pupils going about killing teachers.

Somnewhat ridiculous from this point on.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
A film simply called 'F'...

Gah. I meant to watch that, but turned over half way through. One for the list.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit late, but finally had the chance to see "42" this week and really enjoyed it. It tells the story of Jackie Robinson who became the first African-American player in Major League Baseball when he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. If you are a baseball fan as I am (go St. Louis Cardinals!) it should be on your must-see list.
Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BFI is having a 2-month Werner Herzog season; we saw Aguirre, Anger of God last week-end and Heart of Glass today. Not having seen much of his work before - and that more recent documentaries - I am somewhat stunned. They were amazing films, fantastic visually which more than compensated for the lack of a straightforward narrative.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I saw the British National Theater Live encore of Helen Mirren as the Queen in the Audience.

It was funny and she was fabulous.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I saw the British National Theater Live encore of Helen Mirren as the Queen in the Audience.

Me too! That woman is amazing.

--------------------
~Tortuf

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw The Great Gatsby a few evenings back and thought it was terrific - far better than the 1974 version. I don't know the book all that well, so didn't really spot any of the liberties that have supposedly been taken, other than that I think they add a few details to Nick Carraway's character. I felt not enough was made of Jordan Baker, and am inclined to think that the splendid Carey Mulligan created a Daisy who was a little too sympathetic, but perhaps that was intentional.

Some of my companions were unhappy about the use of twenty-first century music in some scenes, but it worked for me.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard Helen Mirren, thanks to being treated to a movie by Daughter-Unit! She voiced Dean Hardscrabble in "Monsters University". It was a cute animated movie. It also had a lesson attached for youngsters, demonstrating hard work as a hopeful route to achieving one's dream.

"Monsters University" was a nice way to spend an afternoon, especially in the company of my beloved D-U!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Me too! That woman is amazing.
[tangent]
I still remember with pleasure seeing Helen Mirren play a wondrously voluptuous Cleopatra with the National Youth Theatre when she was all of - ooh - 20? [Cool] . About 4 years later I saw her play Castiza in The Revenger's Tragedy in Stratford...she is definitely lovely!
[/tangent]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't get to watch many films, but the last one we saw was Die Farbe des Ozeans (Color of the Ocean) by Maggie Peren, about a German tourist on the Canary Islands who is confronted with a boat of almost dying refugees coming from the African coast.

Parts of the story were a bit simplistic, but some of the characters in the film present an interesting mix-up of good and bad within them.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I still remember with pleasure seeing Helen Mirren play a wondrously voluptuous Cleopatra with the National Youth Theatre when she was all of - ooh - 20? [Cool] . About 4 years later I saw her play Castiza in The Revenger's Tragedy in Stratford...she is definitely lovely!

Dame Helen is one smashing middle-aged lady! She beautifies everything I've ever seen her in including Calendar Girls.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched Killer Joe, about a horrible family in Texas doing horrible things.

Normally, I really hate films that ostentatiously wallow in the depravity they portray, especially when they try to justify it with pseudo-philosophizing and ham-fisted moralizing(the wretchedly pretentious Funny Games being just one recent example).
Okay okay, we get it, violence is everywhere, we're all sadistic voyeurs, blah blah blah.

But Killer Joe, despite having a plotline that managed to out-vile almost any other entry in the genre, somehow avoided those pitfalls. Probably because it eschewed the sophmoric intellectualism, and instead just contented itself with telling a repulsive tale of repulsive characters, without taking itself all that seriously. It maintains a rather farcical spirit throughout.

Based on a play by Tracy Letts, who also penned William Friedkin's last outing, Bug(Killer Joe is better). I'm also wondering if this will be the last film directed by Friedkin, who never quite revisited the artisitic or critical heights of The Exorcist.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
A film simply called 'F'.

The basic story is of a school teacher who is assaulted a pupil, not backed up by the school's 'leadership team, who needs to a drink a bottle of whiskey before he can face a class again. he loses it.

That is true to experience - I speak as a trade union rep. who has had to deal with such cases.

Then it morphs into a horror film with marauding pupils going about killing teachers.

Somnewhat ridiculous from this point on.

One thing I've noticed in thrillers lately is that the writers seem to be using serial-killer motifs, lifted from Silence Of The Lambs, Se7en etc, as a substitute for original plot developemnt.

For example, The Flock(starring Richard Gere) starts off being a moderately interesting character study of a guy who monitors sex offendors, but ends up positing a shadowy, cross-country netword of sex offendors who live together in sex dungeons and communicate via sex magazines.

And The Call, which I watched a few weeks back, starts off as a fairly competent car-chase flick, until the kidnapper gets his victim to his dungeon, at which point we are "treated" to a clean-lift of Buffalo Bill in SOTL.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We watched Yankee Doodle Dandy today. We do nearly every 4th of July.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The night before last I gave myself a re-run of The Rocky Horror Picture Show which was just as fab as ever. Great movie worth more than the 7.2/10 awarded by IMDb.

Has anyone here ever seen Shock Treatment, the sequel to RHPS? I've only heard of it recently and am not at all sure...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Has anyone here ever seen Shock Treatment, the sequel to RHPS? I've only heard of it recently and am not at all sure...

Mr P says that it is dreadful. Apparently it was a first draft but the studio refused to wait for the finished script so just filmed it.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Mr P says that it is dreadful. Apparently it was a first draft but the studio refused to wait for the finished script so just filmed it.
I have been told to add that it is a waste of an amazing cast; Barry Humpries runs amok and steals the show in the process.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recall seeing it. It was universally panned by critics. The only thing I remember is that Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Hapschatt (the newlyweds from the opening scene of RHPS) are now divorced. It can't have made much of an impression on me being that I don't remember anything else about it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I watched Killer Joe, about a horrible family in Texas doing horrible things.
Based on a play by Tracy Letts, who also penned William Friedkin's last outing, Bug(Killer Joe is better). I'm also wondering if this will be the last film directed by Friedkin, who never quite revisited the artisitic or critical heights of The Exorcist.

I saw "Killer Joe" last year at the Seattle Film Festival. Friedkin gave a talk after the film. He didn't seem to have any plans to slow down the movie making.
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I just read "Sleepless in Hollywood" a book about making movies in Hollywood by the producer of "Sleepless in Seattle".

Some interesting facts along with some flattery of the film moguls.

DVD revenues have basically gone away leaving the studios unable to predict how much money films will make. The replacement is global sales, which make 95% of the film revenue. However the global market wants special effects and explosions and limited dialog. So blockbusters tend to be of the explosive chase type.

There's an insatiable demand for 3D outside the US where it's peaked. So they make 2D for domestic and 3D for international release. The Chinese quota on summer blockbusters requires them to be 3D.

A lot of film people have migrated to TV.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A phone call this morning then a cycle into town to the couriers to collect Annie Hall and All About Eve - now debating which one to watch tonight.

Decisions, decisions.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

All About Eve - first time I've watched it for 40[/] years - I'd completely forgotten how brilliant it is.

Great Movie!

But then Bette Davis rarely gave a poor performance!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

West Side Story arrived eventually and I found it quite dated and deserving of a sensitive remake possibly on a larger scale and with wider camera angles - it is very much early Mirisch.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well La-di-da, what can I possibly say about Woody Allen's Annie Hall? It was brilliant when it first came out in 1977 and 36 years later it is still brilliant!

Is it his greatest movie? I don't think I'm qualified to judge but it is amazingly good and - La-di-da - it has the amazing Diane Keaton as well.

I wonder if Keaton is as ditsy in her real life as she always appears in reel life.

Tonight I might revisit Midnight in Paris.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Burmese Harp - black and white, made in 1954, a classic pacifist meditation on the futility of war and its cost of human lives.

[ 19. August 2013, 12:36: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always watch a lot of films when I go to see my Young Man.
This time, we went out to the cinema to see Despicable Me 2 - which was great fun (I love the Minions).
At home, we watched Watchmen, which was a rather sobering experience, looking at a world where superheroes are not automatically the good guys - the Comedian was scary (I liked Nite Owl, though, and the Owl ship was fun). The ending was unexpected....
We followed that up with The Dark Knight Rises, and another superhero having doubts about what he was doing. My opinion of Commissioner Gordon went up in this one - he was very brave in an understated way.
Then there was Cloud Atlas. I think I'm going to have to read the book now. And watch the film again. (I think I understood what was going on....). Halle Berry was brilliant, though, and so was Hugo Weaving as Nurse Noakes!
Finally we hugely enjoyed Going Postal, the third Discworld film. There were such a lot of good actors in this one, and seeing Charles Dance as Lord Vetinari - well, it's clear where he got his portrayal of Tywin Lannister from!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016