homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » At the movies - what are you watching? (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the movies - what are you watching?
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
We went to see Far From the Madding Crowd which just opened this weekend in the US. The theater was surprisingly full. It immediately struck me how very many things this film does not have in common with Avengers. No explosions (although there was a prospect of an exploding sheep it did not actually go off), no tights, no robotic armor, no flying vehicles. However there was property damage, and world-shaking decisions.

Well compared, Brenda! When we go to the multiplex I usually watch the first few minutes of something like the Avengers with my husband and son before slipping down the hall to watch something like, "Madding" with a few other lone women. I totally get the culture shock.

I still remember the Julie Christie version of "Far From the Madding Crowd," and more recently there was a Keely Hawes version on TV. I love Hardy and love how he loves his leading ladies. I'll be checking this one out I'm sure.

Saw, The Imitation Game, absolutely riveting, infuriating, and astonishing.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem here is that they often put the chick-flick next to the action flick. Gentle orchestral music, silent, meaningful gazes in my theater, then through the wall comes... pow! Pow! CRASH! KABLOOEY!!

:sigh: [brick wall]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I think "Let's Scare Jessica To Death", which some of you old-timers may remember from the 70s, is the closest comparison.

Oooooooo! (Takes notice.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other day I watched a dvd of the 1940 version of Gaslight, with Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard. It was very atmospheric and Walbrook was a creepy and believable villain, attempting to drive his wife to madness.

One of the best things about it was that I could actually *hear* every word of dialogue - they were obviously well trained actors who didn't mumble. I know I'm getting old but I'm getting increasingly annoyed when I have to turn the volume right up and *still* can't understand half the film because of sloppy diction [Mad] !

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
...One of the best things about it was that I could actually *hear* every word of dialogue - they were obviously well trained actors who didn't mumble. I know I'm getting old but I'm getting increasingly annoyed when I have to turn the volume right up and *still* can't understand half the film because of sloppy diction [Mad] !

Hear, hear!

I have a problem with my hearing such that I use subtitles when available but in older movies like Brief Encounter or Goodbye Mr Chips I find them quite unnecessary.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The other day I watched a dvd of the 1940 version of Gaslight, with Anton Walbrook and Diana Wynyard. It was very atmospheric and Walbrook was a creepy and believable villain, attempting to drive his wife to madness.

Wow, the Boyer / Bergman version is one of my favorite films-- shall have to check out this version.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just watched August: Osage County. Whew. It was like our, "Difficult relatives," thread come to life. I feel like I've been through the wringer, but it was riveting and the acting was Oscar worthy by everyone. Sam Shepherd and Chris Cooper are long time favorites of mine.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I just watched August: Osage County. Whew. It was like our, "Difficult relatives," thread come to life.

Right? RIGHT???

Meryl Streep was riveting. "Ah'm jest truth tellin'!"

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Other Half and I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron yesterday. It's a perfectly servicable shoot-em-up, but they needed a better Sound Engineer - preferably the one who engineered The 5th Element. The sound was overloud - not necessarily the Director's fault, but it was also over-trebly and very harsh.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Seattle International Film Festival started this last weekend and while the new day job is cutting into watching I did see a few.

"Spy" is a comic big scale spy thriller with women as the leads. Featuring the star and director of "Bridesmaids"

There was a documentary
Tab Hunter Confidential" about the " 50's and 60's B Movie star. He was a teen girl heart throb who naturally was Gay and in the closet. His partner is a film producer and made a very flattering portrait. I hadn't seen much of his earlier work but he's a beautiful man with many other talents. He was at the screening looking remarkable for an 80 year old.

"When Marnie was there" is a new animated feature from Studio Ghibli about an orphan who has memories of a ghost girl and a deserted marsh house.

"Gemma Bovary" is a Modern French Comedy about an English Woman in France who's life begins to resemble the story "Madame Bovary".

"Snow on the Blades" is a film about Samurai and a quest for vengeance. However it's set in the beginning of the modern Meiji period when the role of the Samurai is obsolete.

"Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" Is yet another Young Adult film about cancer. It's made much livelier by the little weird parodies of classic films that the hero and his friend make such as "Sock work Orange"

"Romeo is Bleeding" is a documentary about the making of a modern Inner City version of Romeo in a Bay Area city where many people have been killed by gang warfare.

Much more to follow.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're going to see the English National Opera perform Pirates of Penzance tomorrow. The performance is being screened in the cinema.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
"Gemma Bovary" is a Modern French Comedy about an English Woman in France who's life begins to resemble the story "Madame Bovary".

Is this an adaptation of the Posey Simmonds (author of Tamara Drew) graphic novel of the same name?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw Big Game last week - lots of subtitled Finnish to start with, which amused me along with lots of shots of Finnish scenery and Northern Finnish traditions. Not sure I've ever seen a Finnish film before. It was quite sweet and very tongue in cheek. (I didn't choose it, teenage boy did.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I saw Big Game last week - lots of subtitled Finnish to start with, which amused me along with lots of shots of Finnish scenery and Northern Finnish traditions. Not sure I've ever seen a Finnish film before. It was quite sweet and very tongue in cheek. (I didn't choose it, teenage boy did.)

Thanks for mentioning that! I'll have to look for it, and dream of lovely Finland!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

Is this an adaptation of the Posey Simmonds (author of Tamara Drew) graphic novel of the same name?
Yes.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are doing Peter Pan live action. And it looks amazing!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ninety-six year old friend and I saw "Cinderella". Bless her sweet heart, it's a good thing the theater was almost empty! She has Alzheimer's, and forgets that she shouldn't talk out loud at a movie. She kept saying, "It's a fairy tale!" Yes it is! And a well-made one IMHO.

The location is gorgeous, the costumes are to die for, and the acting sucked me in.

It's OK to know the story beforehand. It's OK that it mirrors the Disney cartoon movie, because it is, of course, Disney.

What a fun time we had together! Two friends, having an afternoon of light fun, without straining our brains, such as they are. [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was one of about 6 men in a cinema full of women watching Pitch Perfect 2 last night - I quite enjoyed it - especially the OTT German accents...

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pirates of Penzance was brilliant! It did seem strange to have an interval in a film and have some of the audience applaud.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not cinema - but we went to see Pirates at the Coliseum on
Saturday and yes, it was briiliant!

Except we moaned about the cameras whizzing about in front of us and distracting us....

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw Mad Max: Fury Road today - it was a Mad Max film with added amazing locations, amazing effects ...

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was disappointed by the latest Avengers offering, to be honest. Plot jumped about a lot (what was it with Thor and the pool), and the battle scenes went on forever. Maybe it's because I was less than gripped, that I noticed almost all the civilians in the first half of the film were black - which really highlighted how many of the heroes were. None. The new lineup revealed at the end seems to be addressing this issue, but I'm not sure it works. Heroes like Warhorse seem to be in the "Let's take a major hero and produce a more boring version of him" mould, which is as patronising in my mind as the endless line of "Let's take a major hero and produce a female version of him" products we've seen over the years.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched a movie on TV: "The Pope Must Diet". It's about a priest who accidentally becomes pope, in a situation of great corruption. It's a comedy and something of a spoof, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I wonder if Pope Francis has seen it? I suspect he'd like it. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Friendly Persuasion, was on TCM yesterday, so I watched, remembering how much I had liked it as a little girl. It also had really high ratings on IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes.

Well, right of the bat, there was the funny goose and little boy scene I remembered. It was all down hill from there. Everybody said "thee," in almost every sentence, far more than one might say, "you," but that was to remind us they were Quakers, I guess. There was a creepy scene where a bunch of randy hillbilly women were crawling all over Tony Perkins. Well any scene with Tony Perkins is creepy, but this was unrealistic and out of place, yet supposed to be funny, I guess.

The movie couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to be a Walt Disney, musical, a slap stick comedy or a deep drama about religion and ethics.

It's the religion and ethics part that was just awful. All the Quakers dropped their pacifist convictions at the very first moment of being put to the test. The movie made it perfectly clear that they had all dropped their silly notions and come to their senses. Quakers everywhere should have boycotted this thing.

[ 25. May 2015, 11:44: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"What We Do In The Shadows" is a mock documentary about vampires sharing a flat in New Zealand. The joke is that they have the same petty squabbles, mundane failures and triumphs as anyone else (arguing over the chores rota). Even when there are issues arising from their supernatural lifestyle, they are portrayed as analogous to more ordinary ones - trash-talking rather than fighting with the local werewolf gang, the idea that turning someone else's human friend into a vampire is a faux pas akin to dating someone else's ex-.

And so on.

It was kind of fun, but I felt the joke was stretched thin to last 90mins. And there was a shaky-cam sequence with a real fight scene that left me dizzy and nauseous. Not bad though.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nightwatch (1994). The Danish version with Jaime Lennister playing a young student who takes a job as a night watchman at the forensic institute while a serial killer is murdering women in Copenhagen. The student eventually becomes the prime suspect.

The scenes in the institute at night were proper creepy, mostly because of the atmosphere and what went on in my mind, with only a few shock effects. Some dark humor, too.

I rather enjoyed it. It is an old film but I missed it in the cinema then and it's now available on DVD and online.

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I saw Mad Max: Fury Road today - it was a Mad Max film with added amazing locations, amazing effects ...

We're off to our local Odeon in about 45 mins to see this - it's had such good reviews I couldn't resist... [Smile]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

More from the Seattle International Film Festival.

Friday I saw a film full of clips of early technology and science fiction with a snarky narration by Tilda Swinton.
Saturday I saw "I am Michael" a film about a gay activist who becomes a conservative preacher. It was far kinder to him than he deserved. I then saw "Our Summer in Provence" about three children forced to spend the summer with the grumpy Grandfather in Provence. Sappy and clichéd, although the deaf 8 year old was a good actor.

Sunday I saw two of the Apu Trilogy and then a French film "Vincent" about a man who gets super strength when he gets underwater. Interesting as a metaphor.

Today I saw "Satellite Girl and Milk Cow" about a satellite that turns into a female version of Astro Boy and a musician who is turned into a cow. And there's a wizard who has been transformed into a roll of toilet paper. It was interesting but left me feeling I just didn't understand the references.

There was a documentary about people all over the world trying to make really spectacular steaks. They focused on a Spanish Farmer who raises castrated bulls for 10 to 15 years before slaughtering the.

Tommorrow I have to decide if I'm going to stay up late and see a screening of "Footloose" which is part of the Kevin Bacon retrospective.

Another two weeks of films to go...

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
quote:

We're off to our local Odeon in about 45 mins to see this - it's had such good reviews I couldn't resist... [Smile]
Gosh, it was amazing alright, and Charlize Theron was way ahead the hero of the story, Max himself playing second fiddle somewhat. I enjoyed it, but was more excited by the trailer for the new Terminator film coming out soon... [Eek!]

And now a completely different thing: the other day I caught the 1952 Ealing film Mandy on TV, and was very pleased to see it again. I did an OU Honours degree some years back, and wrote on the history of post-war cinema, concentrating on Alexander Mackendrick, who directed Mandy, which is about a young deaf girl and her mother's efforts to get her to be taught to speak and to be treated like 'normal' children.

It sounds rather earnest but in fact it's a very interesting film, and has a lovely performance from 6 year old Mandy Miller (not deaf in real life!), as well as having a good adult cast.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Golden Key
quote:
Just watched a movie on TV: "The Pope Must Diet"
The film was based on some of the more outlandish (or not?) conspiracy theories around the death of Pope John-Paul I - hence its proper title The Pope must die. It was only because of an outcry by RCs in the USA that the film title was altered there with the addition of a 'T' but in fact the film itself wasn't altered at all. A little difficulty in the UK was soon ironed out by publicising it as "Robbie Coltrane is The Pope".

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

Well, right of the bat, there was the funny goose and little boy scene I remembered. It was all down hill from there. Everybody said "thee," in almost every sentence, far more than one might say, "you," but that was to remind us they were Quakers, I guess. There was a creepy scene where a bunch of randy hillbilly women were crawling all over Tony Perkins. Well any scene with Tony Perkins is creepy, but this was unrealistic and out of place, yet supposed to be funny, I guess.

Actually, the naive farmboy was Perkins typical person pre-Psycho, which is why Hitchcock wanted him as Norman Bates. He wanted audiences to think," oh, it's just Tony Perkins, he's harmless" so that the mayhem would shock them.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

Actually, the naive farmboy was Perkins typical person pre-Psycho, which is why Hitchcock wanted him as Norman Bates. He wanted audiences to think," oh, it's just Tony Perkins, he's harmless" so that the mayhem would shock them.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is interesting how our introduction to some actors colours our view of them permanently. I would love to develop a movie which plays with type-casting in a creative way,

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is interesting how our introduction to some actors colours our view of them permanently.
Yeah, it would be interesting to see what image someone would have of Jack Nicholson, if they only knew him from King Of Marvin Gardens, where he plays a decidedly non-"Jack" role.

Granted, there likely aren't very many people who have seen that movie, but nothing else with Nicholson.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always find it fascinating when an actor seems only to ever be able to, or ever get to, play a single type of character. I wonder how much is type-casting and how much is that particular actor's lack of range. For example, I've seen young Michael Cera in Arrested Development, Juno, and Scott Pilgrim, and he appears to be playing a character I've come to think of as "Michael Cera" in every one of them. Of course he's a mere child yet so perhaps he will branch out (or already has and I just haven't seen it) but I do wonder what happens to actors like that when their one stock character is based on a sort of youthful bumbling innocence/charm, when they age out of being able to do that.

I'm much more impressed by actors who can play a wide range of roles and make you forget that you ever saw them in anything else.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

There are also those actors whose performance is so generic they fit into many roles and appear better than they are. They Dance through historical dramas, feeling their performance is Untouchable. But really they are just Posting it in, Robing viewers and other actors of better work.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That make me laugh so hard my desk chair is a Waterworld

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

More from the film festival.

I saw "Eisenstein in Guanajuato" by Peter Greenaway. Shot in Mexico with a fair amount of naked gay sex and day of the dead imagery it was pretty odd.

There was also an odd Italian silent movie; "love amongst the ruins" about World War 1. It's actually a mockumentary about an imaginary film.

I also saw a Chinese silent film that had been lost for 90 years; The Cave of the Spider Women. It was followed by a Run Run Shaw 1970 version. Although it has demons and the Monkey King, it's based on a 16h century Chinese novel, "The Journey West". The same book was the basis of a Japanese television cartoon series called "Monkey".

Today I saw the new Aardman cartoon "Shaun the Sheep". It was really funny.

Two more days to go.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
... Peter Greenaway...it was pretty odd.

Wow, it's good to know Greenaway is still keeping the odd flowing.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I hoped my student would choose to see Shaun the Sheep but he reckoned he was too old for that one (pout). It wasn't totally unfounded, he did choose Annie and Paddington. London had some really fun decorated Shaun the Sheep models for the last couple of months - I kept meaning to follow the trail but haven't had time and when I raced past where a few were last night they'd gone.

We got to see San Andreas this week, which would have been much improved with a less wooden lead actor and fewer plot holes. Even the 15 year old, who is not community minded, commented that if everyone deserted their posts in an emergency to rush off to rescue their wives and daughters there would be chaos. The special effects were cool but the science wasn't great. I will, however, be using it to teach the earth sciences unit of his science, partly to correct the misapprehensions.

(Last week was half term, so no film, just lots of theatre and shows instead.)

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

Today I saw three films. One I liked a lot was called "Pardon my French" about a 12 year old precocious Coptic Christian boy who is forced to attend a Muslim majority Egyptian public school;
Some brutality but a lot of humor as well. I especially enjoyed the part where he is concealing his Christian identity and wins the Koranic chanting contest.

jedijudy

# 333

Went with two friends to see Far from the Madding Crowd yesterday. The landscapes were just lovely! (Which fits the bill for both of those friends who love to travel.) I'm glad we saw it. Even though I was yelling at Bathsheba in my mind, telling her to get a grip, and, can't she see that he's No Good???!

Gah!

I guess it's the sign of a good movie and good acting when they can get such an emotional response from their audience!

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally saw The Maltese Falcon(Huston, 1941). Hate to say this, 'cuz I know it's supposed to be this great classic of film noir and everything, but I was pretty underwhelmed.

Like other Huston films I've seen, it was long-winded, with what seemed like endless discussion of the intricacies of the criminal plot. Said discussions being somewhat pointless, since the whole thing is just a maguffin anyway.

And that maguffin doesn't really set up anything of much interest. I never really felt myself "hooked" into the story, as one should with a good thriller. It was really just seemed like a bunch of conversations about business and money, with a few scenes of violence interjected every little while.

There was nothing really menacing about the villains either. The portly erudtie Brit and the weasely Frenchman seemed like stock "jewel heist" baddies.

I guess people really take to the Bogartian private dick character, but it's been copied, tributed, and parodied so many times since, I guess I guess I came to it at the wrong time in my life as a film-viewer.

Oh well. I didn't have very high expectations to begin with, being, as I say, a long-standing non-fan of John Huston. Mostly just watched it to be able to say that I had. And now I can.

[ 07. June 2015, 15:49: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Finally saw The Maltese Falcon(Huston, 1941). Hate to say this, 'cuz I know it's supposed to be this great classic of film noir and everything, but I was pretty underwhelmed.

Like other Huston films I've seen, it was long-winded, with what seemed like endless discussion of the intricacies of the criminal plot. Said discussions being somewhat pointless, since the whole thing is just a maguffin anyway.

And that maguffin doesn't really set up anything of much interest. I never really felt myself "hooked" into the story, as one should with a good thriller. It was really just seemed like a bunch of conversations about business and money, with a few scenes of violence interjected every little while.

There was nothing really menacing about the villains either. The portly erudtie Brit and the weasely Frenchman seemed like stock "jewel heist" baddies.

I guess people really take to the Bogartian private dick character, but it's been copied, tributed, and parodied so many times since, I guess I guess I came to it at the wrong time in my life as a film-viewer.

Oh well. I didn't have very high expectations to begin with, being, as I say, a long-standing non-fan of John Huston. Mostly just watched it to be able to say that I had. And now I can.

Style, preference, expectation and timing are as important to the viewing of film as the construction and execution.
Even Citizen Kane, which often tops critics lists of the greatest films ever, isn't accessible to the average, modern viewer.
I guess what I am saying is that your conclusion is valid even though you are hopelessly, irrevocably and completely wrong.

[ 07. June 2015, 16:03: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Even Citizen Kane, which often tops critics lists of the greatest films ever, isn't accessible to the average, modern viewer.

Well, I would qualify as a modern viewer, and I've found Citizen Kane quite enjoyable, even if I can recognize that it might have packed a bigger punch in 1941.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Well then, perhaps you are better than average. [Biased]
I think the statement still stands, though. There is more to an experience than the object of that experience.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
There is more to an experience than the object of that experience.

True, but like I say, I haven't enjoyed the Huston thrillers I've seen, but I have enjoyed most of the Hitchcocks.

So, I could maybe conclude that there is something about MY sensibilities in particular that makes me enjoy HITCHCOCK'S films, and dislike HUSTON'S. It's not just a question of whatever random mood I happen to be in when I watch the movies(otherwise my enjoyment would be more evenly divided between the two directors).

Speaking of Hitchcock, and those Top 100 lists you were mentioning, there was that one a few years back where Citizen Kane was knocked from its perch by Vertigo. Some commentators attributed this to more women critics in the voting bloc, Citizen Kane supposedly being more of a "guy" film, Vertigo more of a "chick flick".

A friend of mine feels the same way about Vertigo as I do about the Maltese Falcon, thinks it's dreadfully boring. I have to admit, it's the least memorable of the Hitchcocks I've seen. After two viewings, I can't remember more than a couple of scenes from it.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The Birds. I am a Hitchcock fan, but I just cannot connect to this film. I should really view it again to ascertain why, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The Birds. I am a Hitchcock fan, but I just cannot connect to this film. I should really view it again to ascertain why, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so.

These days, I think it's more interesting on a thematic level than a technical, or even a suspense, one. The special effects haven't aged well at all, even as camp.

Coincidentally, I wrote a brief analysis of the film somewhere on these boards a few weeks back. Something to do with the possible romance between Hedren and Taylor disrupting the natural order of the town.

(I'll be a bit immodest and say that I came up with that without reading other critics, though the basic idea is pretty strongly implied in the script.)

For technique, I did like the scene where Rod Taylor is waiting outside the school, and the birds start to assemble for an attack behind him. Especially the music: "She oombs her hair just once a year..."

[ 08. June 2015, 06:56: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I'm now in remedial film festival now; going to the "best of the festival" encore showings of films I missed during the festival.

Friday I saw "Liza the Fox Fairy" a dark comedy about a Hungarian women who thinks she's a Japanese Fox fairy because all the men around her are being killed. With Death as a ghost of a Japanese Pop Star.

Today I saw "Charlies Country" a moving film about an Australian Aborigine trying to cope with takeover of his society. Some amazing acting.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016