homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Don't blink (Dr Who thread) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Don't blink (Dr Who thread)
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really liked - much much better than the first story.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it was very good. Very scary.

I suppose the one thing that I always struggle with in these types of story is that a ghost only appears when we know someone has died. But (without giving too much away), one character died in the past - meaning that they were already dead at the start, and so should have been a ghost.

The alternative is that the future was changed by the activity in the past. Which would seem to contravene the Doctors principles (why could he not change it back?)

I realise it is a dramatic trick, but it is mistaken. and bugs me, especially given the emphasis put on not changing things. And the Beethoven paradox.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Schroedinger's cat: I suppose the one thing that I always struggle with in these types of story is that a ghost only appears when we know someone has died. But (without giving too much away), one character died in the past - meaning that they were already dead at the start, and so should have been a ghost.
I see what you mean. Yes, that seems to be a logical flaw.

quote:
orfeo: I just watched "Under the Lake".

I dunno, I was put off by the early behaviour of the Doctor and (especially) Clara. Rather too glib.

I'm a bit late to this, but I see what you mean here too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rewatched some bits of Part 1 again, and liked it a bit more because it made more sense when you knew what to look out for.

Then I just watched Part 2.

I did kind of like it, and most of all it did the scares well. But I could have really done without the Beethoven exposition business - that first scene absolutely looked like something shoehorned in later on because things were running a bit short? I mean, why is the Doctor alone for the whole scene?

Also, pointless romance with no backgrounding.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
orfeo: I did kind of like it, and most of all it did the scares well.
Especially the part with the axe was brilliant.

quote:
orfeo: But I could have really done without the Beethoven exposition business
Me too. My gripe with it wasn't even that the Doctor broke the fourth wall. I can live with that. But Dr Who has done the bootstrap paradox so many times already, and now they feel the need to explain it?

quote:
orfeo: Also, pointless romance with no backgrounding.
It didn't do much for me either. No chemistry between the characters at all, and suddenly they're supposed to be head over heels in love with each other?

Also, when Clara says she understand what Bennett is going through, are we supposed to be reminded of Danny Pink? I'm never sure; at times it seems that Moffat wants us to forget about him.

(There are more instances in this series where I have the feeling that he wants us to forget about things in the franchise's past. For example, Clara in a Dalek. She's been a Dalek before. Well, not exactly her, but still. And a clip of Michelle Gomez wondering who would win in a fight between the Daleks and the Cybermen. Er ... we've had such a fight.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually, I think the Doctor was talking to Clara at the start, as he is talking to her at the end when he brings up Beethoven again. That only makes sense if he'd told her about it already. The fourth wall breaking was a trick in camera positioning to avoid showing us Clara.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Siegfried: Actually, I think the Doctor was talking to Clara at the start, as he is talking to her at the end when he brings up Beethoven again. That only makes sense if he'd told her about it already. The fourth wall breaking was a trick in camera positioning to avoid showing us Clara.
Yeah, that's good enough for me.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For me the story is pretty much summed up by the axe on the floor scene. The only reason that the axe is on the floor is that it then makes a sound for Cass to be unable to hear.

In short, while the scene is genuinely suspenseful, not only is it a scene where a disabled character is in peril because of their disability, but it's utterly contrived in the way it sets up the peril.

And then again we have a likeable female character whose only dramatic role is to get killed in order to provoke some perfunctory Davies-style questioning of the Doctor's willingness to put other people in danger to show how angsty we are.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dafyd: For me the story is pretty much summed up by the axe on the floor scene. The only reason that the axe is on the floor is that it then makes a sound for Cass to be unable to hear.

In short, while the scene is genuinely suspenseful, not only is it a scene where a disabled character is in peril because of their disability, but it's utterly contrived in the way it sets up the peril.

And then again we have a likeable female character whose only dramatic role is to get killed in order to provoke some perfunctory Davies-style questioning of the Doctor's willingness to put other people in danger to show how angsty we are.

It's funny how people appreciate an episode differently. Neither of these two is a problem for me.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would have wished he would apply what he feels for Clara to others. I was not happy that the woman died - she did put herself in harm's way but I wanted him to stop that when he went back again.

And if he needs autistic cue-cards this time round, which he has not needed before, maybe he could read them and practice in the Tardis beforehand.

And the guy who lost his colleague would have no reason to know that Clara has lost someone important. All he has seen is her with the Dr. No help at all, she's as useless as the Doctor in the circumstances.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: I would have wished he would apply what he feels for Clara to others.
What I like about the episode is that at least this is called out. Bennett slaps the Doctor around the ear that he didn't save O'Donnell but goes out of his way to save Clara.

The Doctor's alienness, the fact that he sees the big picture but sometimes fails to see individual people because of this, has been a subject for the show for a while now. I find it interesting how the series tries to explore this.

quote:
Penny S: I would have wished he would apply what he feels for Clara to others.
I wanted him to save O'Donnell too. I guess we saw in Father's Day what would have happened then.

quote:
Penny S: And the guy who lost his colleague would have no reason to know that Clara has lost someone important. All he has seen is her with the Dr. No help at all, she's as useless as the Doctor in the circumstances.
Have the Doctor and Clara been useless so far in Bennett's eyes? I'd have to watch Under the Lake again, but I think they have done some useful things already. They lured the ghosts into the Faraday cage, they found out what it's about with the message, the Doctor went into the past to try resolve things ... That sounds pretty useful to me.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Useless solely in the situation of trying to show sympathy. He could not see that she had suffered the loss.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
For me the story is pretty much summed up by the axe on the floor scene. The only reason that the axe is on the floor is that it then makes a sound for Cass to be unable to hear.

To be fair, they were often feeble, which both justified that scene (against the axe not on floor variant, not the staying in place), and enabled other escapes earlier.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: Useless solely in the situation of trying to show sympathy. He could not see that she had suffered the loss.
Sometimes I have problems parsing your sentences [Smile] I can see that 'he' is the Doctor here, but who is 'she'?

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

To be fair, they were often feeble, which both justified that scene (against the axe not on floor variant, not the staying in place), and enabled other escapes earlier.
For me, this scene — apart from being really scary — was about reaffirming how badass Cass is. She couldn't hear the axe, but she had a way of visualising it and thereby she saved herself. To me, the scene worked rather well in this sense. I'd be curious to know what deaf people think of it.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
For me, this scene apart from being really scary was about reaffirming how badass Cass is. She couldn't hear the axe, but she had a way of visualising it and thereby she saved herself.

She did have another way of visualising it than using her super reading vibrations through her fingers power. She could have turned around to see if anything was behind her.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sorry. I meant that Bennett had no way to know that Clara knew about loss.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dafyd: She did have another way of visualising it than using her super reading vibrations through her fingers power. She could have turned around to see if anything was behind her.
But that wouldn't have been cool [Smile]

I can come up with kind of an explanation. It goes like this:

She wasn't aware there was someone behind her. She just had a sense of danger; maybe she already felt the axe's vibrations a bit through her shoes. But at that point, the danger could still be anywhere, not necessarily behind her. So she took the logical step: finding out where the vibrations came from with the sense that works best for her.

But to be honest, I think that few television programmes or films stand up to the tests of logic you want to submit them too. Including old Dr Who.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: Sorry. I meant that Bennett had no way to know that Clara knew about loss.
I'm sorry, I'm still having trouble following your argument. Which is a shame, because I do think it's interesting.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sorry again. Nobody in the research group knew anything about the Doctor's and Clara's pasts. So they wouldn't know about Danny and his pointless death and how that shattered Clara. They had seen the relationship between the Doctor and Clara which could have suggested that it was her important relationship, and so that she wouldn't have really understood loss, since the Doctor was still there. Bennett would have been perfectly justified in thinking, as people often do when someone tries to offer comfort, that they cannot possibly know what is felt. "I know how you are feeling" is the wrong thing to say.

And thinking about this, though it isn't part of the argument, the Doctor knows about loss, even though it isn't due to death, many many times. In his other avatars he has been perfectly capable of recognising people's feelings.

[ 11. October 2015, 21:15: Message edited by: Penny S ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: Sorry again. Nobody in the research group knew anything about the Doctor's and Clara's pasts. So they wouldn't know about Danny and his pointless death and how that shattered Clara. They had seen the relationship between the Doctor and Clara which could have suggested that it was her important relationship, and so that she wouldn't have really understood loss, since the Doctor was still there. Bennett would have been perfectly justified in thinking, as people often do when someone tries to offer comfort, that they cannot possibly know what is felt. "I know how you are feeling" is the wrong thing to say.
Okay yes, I understand it now.

What I'm still unsure about: are we supposed to think about Danny in that scene? Sometimes it seems to me that Moffat wants us to forget he ever existed.

quote:
Penny S: And thinking about this, though it isn't part of the argument, the Doctor knows about loss, even though it isn't due to death, many many times. In his other avatars he has been perfectly capable of recognising people's feelings.
I agree. Susan Foreman.

I have the feeling that one of the themes for season 9 is "Clara is becoming just like the Doctor". The Doctor doesn't always care for the feelings of individual people, and normally the companion has been there to remind him of this. In this case however, Clara is becoming just like him.

This is rather obvious in some moments, especially in the scene when Clara sent Lunn into danger. I also felt it in the story before this one. So I think that it is a theme for this series.

The other, rather obvious, theme is: Clara needs to deal with death. Either of herself, or of someone she loves. There were already some rather explicit conversations about this in this episode, and I have an inexplicable hunch there will be more of this in the next one, The Girl Who Died.

I have the feeling that these two themes will come together at the end of the series. This also makes sense, given that Jenna Coleman will leave.

So we have the two big themes "Clara is in danger of becoming as insensitive to an individual's feeling as the doctor is" and "Clara needs to deal with death". To me the big elephant in the room is: is Danny Pink going to figure in this?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
What I'm still unsure about: are we supposed to think about Danny in that scene? Sometimes it seems to me that Moffat wants us to forget he ever existed.

Since Death in Heaven we've had the Christmas special (in which he sort of appears) and one story in which there's no specific allusion to him. That's not enough of a pattern to judge that the lead writer wants us to forget he ever existed.

Obviously it's an allusion to Danny. Who else would it be to? (I suppose possibly Clara's mother, but that's even more of a stretch.)

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
But to be honest, I think that few television programmes or films stand up to the tests of logic you want to submit them too. Including old Dr Who.

I'm not quibbling with the lack of logic as such. It's that I can see too easily what the writer is up to and I think it's cheap.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dafyd: Obviously it's an allusion to Danny. Who else would it be to?
Hmm, I hope so.

quote:
Dafyd: I'm not quibbling with the lack of logic as such. It's that I can see too easily what the writer is up to and I think it's cheap.
Like I said, it's funny to see how people are focussing on different things. I have some issues with the writing in this episode (mainly what the Doctor's ghost turned out to be, and the sudden need to be all explainy about the bootstrap paradox), but the axe scene isn't one of them.

I can see what the writers wanted to do in this scene. And it worked for me.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting thread. I'm going to have to watch these last 2 eps again to fully benefit from insights here, but....is it cos I'm getting old and deaf, or can nobody else hear a bloody word Clara is saying these days???

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Pine Marten: is it cos I'm getting old and deaf, or can nobody else hear a bloody word Clara is saying these days???
I have to concentrate a bit to understand a number of Dr Who actors, including Peter Capaldi. This probably is because I'm not British?

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I'm British and sometimes find it very hard to follow - but I find increasingly these days actors either gabble or do not speak clearly enough. I had some ado to follow Matt Smith at times.

it is one of several pleasures ( [Smile] ) to listen to actors like Tom Hiddleston, who speak uncommonly well (as a reviewer once said of Ralph Fiennes).

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given that some were wanting the present Doctor to share their same sex, it would be good to see a companion having a disability. It would be an interesting challenge for a lot of people if a companion relied upon sign language.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I often find that the doctor--any doctor--speaks too rapidly for me to follow easily.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
HCH: I often find that the doctor--any doctor--speaks too rapidly for me to follow easily.
I'm glad I'm not the only one [Smile]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

LOL, this is the world map of the year 2119 that was shown in the control room of the Drum. The most important features:
  • Global warming has taken the west of the US, some chunks of Africa, the south of India and a part of Brazil (including my house [Waterworks] ). Inexplicably, Europe is mostly intact. Even the Netherlands are completely above water.
  • The geo-political situation is exactly as in 2015. The only thing I can see is that South Sudan has united with Sudan again. The Vector Petroleum marker wisely masks whether Scotland is still part of the UK or not [Smile]
[ETA: Ah! I just saw! The Red Sea has been poldered.]

[ 13. October 2015, 17:25: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I often find that the doctor--any doctor--speaks too rapidly for me to follow easily.

A lot of that is deliberate to hide the nonsense that is the pseudo-science that can make up the dialogue. It was a lot easier when all they had to do was reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

no, No, NO! That is so wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

The Vikings did NOT have COW HORNS on their helmets! Nor did they have whopping great feathered wings on their helmets either!

And that some of them are aliens pretending to be the Aesir is utterly irrelevant. Some of the ones who are supposed to be real world Vikings are tarted up like the crew members at the foot of the gangplank trying to inveigle cruise passengers into having their photos taken with the archaeological travesty of plasticly horned helmets anywhere remotely vikingy. Like Norway. Or Iceland. I've had it twice this year.

I have just seen the trailer.

Perhaps someone should have explained to them what happens when a helmet with protrusions receives a blow from an heavy sword or an axe. (I'm sure I've seen one of those armoury wonks describing this on a programme.) Or they could have used some re-enactors. They get it right.

I hope the makers of "The Last Kingdom" don't do it. (Perhaps they had all the proper helmets and Dr Who had to make do with the leftovers.)

[ 13. October 2015, 18:39: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep - it's enough to make a Viking re-enactor weep into their mead.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

To be fair, I didn't see any plastic horns - they looked like real cow horn to me, though where they would get those from these days, I wouldn't know. I haven't seen a horned cow since I was a child.

Where do the re-enactors get their mead horns from to weep into?

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if the horned helmets are a reference to the First Doctor's comment to One of the companions on first travelling through time - they see a Viking helmet, and he says, ". And what is that, then? A space helmet for a cow?!"

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

The Vikings did NOT have COW HORNS on their helmets! Nor did they have whopping great feathered wings on their helmets either!

You got there before I did, Penny S. I had no mead to weep into, but I did a fair bit of shouting at the screen.

Let us be charitable and hope that one of the characters corrects this in passing...Actually, I doubt it [Frown]

[ 14. October 2015, 09:55: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

But they id have spiked helmets.

Yes, really.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hmm. Cow horns on helmets. Cool.

--------------------

Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did people spot that the amp was supplied / made by Magpie electronics?

And two episodes now where the Dr plays the theme music ion his guitar - this time merging into the credits.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Charles Read: Did people spot that the amp was supplied / made by Magpie electronics?
I did!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

But they id have spiked helmets.

Yes, really.

I am wondering if those rather small spikes were connected to the chinstrap issue, or some sort of cover, as in the pickelhaube, where covers were used to reduce reflection. (Amazing how quickly one can pick up recondite trivia nowadays, isn't it?) Obviously not for fixing plumes to, though. Would they have been useful during the construction process?

Is there any evidence for boiled leather, as that article points out that metal was too expensive for most people?

For a pacifist I am far too interested in this sort of stuff.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
  • Global warming has taken the west of the US,

maybe it was an earthquake/shift on the San Andreas, which we keep getting told is "long overdue"

[ 16. October 2015, 12:41: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ooo ... kay?

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ooo ... kay?

I hope that is Ok as in intriguing, not Ok as in what was that about...

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I guess a bit of both [Smile]

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

Yes, I've just watched it. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Until now, I was a bit critical about Peter Capaldi. I felt that his timing as an actor was a bit off at times, both in the comical bits as in the serious work. To me, this was the first episode where he got it exactly right.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
Yes, I've just watched it. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Hopefully it will go to find how Vikings managed to get electric eels, a South American species. I am wondering if the answer to this, and the horned helmets, will be that not just the dragon sequence, but the whole episode is a hallucination from storyteller Ashildr.

I hope not, that would be too simple a solution.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it at least partially succeeded in having the Vikings not being something other than 21stC Was(c-p)'s with inaccurately pointy hats, at least at the important times.
Not sure that something actually was Norse.

The "I'm different" speech skirted over, but probably ended on the right side.
And the left-behind can't have been so extreme, but need some allowance for rule-of-funny.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
rule-of-funny.

Rufus Hound is in the next episode I believe, and DW has a history of casting a comedian and letting him/her do their thing within the script.

Should be good. [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016