homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Don't blink (Dr Who thread) (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Don't blink (Dr Who thread)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oswin, Oswald, Osgood, Ashildr

Are they telling us something about the Chancellor?

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Despite being someone who has seen a steady decline since Moff took over, I couldn't fault this week's episode. Capaldi playing his guitar - again - was self indulgent (just as Smith playing football was) but that would be the only thing I can pick on. And yet... I found it cold and dull. Nothing gripped me, and I find it hard to care how it will be resolved in a week's time. The life is ebbing away from the programme - IMNSVHO of course.

Penny S:
quote:
One thing I am sure about - Moffat doesn't do things for no reason, and he isn't careless.
I wish I had your faith.

Dafyd:
quote:
If you compare what we've had so far with Tennant's second season, with Martha, I can't see any reason to think there's been a decline.
For me, the Martha season was one of the high points of nu-Who, second only to Eccleston's.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Robert Armin: Capaldi playing his guitar - again - was self indulgent
Yeah, a bit.

quote:
Robert Armin: And yet... I found it cold and dull. Nothing gripped me, and I find it hard to care how it will be resolved in a week's time.
I felt a bit of the same in this episode. The running around in New Mexico and Turmezistan didn't do much for me. I am looking forward to how the cliffhanger will be resolved though, and what will become of the treaty with the Zygons.

quote:
Robert Armin: For me, the Martha season was one of the high points of nu-Who
For me too. The Shakespeare Code, Gridlock, 42, The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit ... All good episodes. And of course, Blink is one of the best episodes ever.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops wrong two-parter, it should have been Human Nature / The Family of Blood. Very good.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somewhere earlier it was speculated as to why viewing figures are down. I am very much enjoying the new series myself and don't see any down-turn in quality. Over the past few years I have met a few British girls who are Doctor Who fans. One, a redhead from Scotland, stopped watching when Amy and Rory were no more. She had wanted them to stay.

Another stopped when Tennant left. I get the impression that for some, an attachment to the programme is like people who are fans of Christiano Ronaldo and switch from the mancs to Madrid when he got transferred.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
For me too. The Shakespeare Code, Gridlock, 42, The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit ... All good episodes. And of course, Blink is one of the best episodes ever.

We're at episode seven of this season, and Human Nature/ Family of Blood / Blink were episodes eight to ten of that season.

Gridlock was a flawed classic; I think The Girl Who Died is pretty much going to be thought of as a classic too.

Otherwise: Evolution of the Daleks was a really messy dalek two-parter; I like it more than some, but there's no doubt that The Magician's Apprentice two-parter was much better.

Lazarus Experiment and 42 were silly monster runarounds; I have a soft spot for 42, but Lazarus Experiment was rubbish so on average the Under the Lake two-parter was better overall.

I didn't much care for the Shakespeare Code. The Woman Who Lived was brilliant in parts and I don't think the rubbish bits were any worse than the equivalent bits of the Shakespeare Code.

That leaves us with Smith and Jones, which was awful - rubbish science set on the moon, but crucially rubbish boring science set on the moon - vs The Zygon Invasion, which looks like being another classic if part two lives up to part one.

I rest my case.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Somewhere earlier it was speculated as to why viewing figures are down.

One explanation: it doesn't start until after Strictly Come Dancing, so children can't watch it until they turn on iplayer on Sunday morning. (Also, more people using iplayer in general. I watch it on iplayer.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

What I see, by both our counts, is a season with three or four good episodes and two or three outstanding ones.

I guess it's a glass half full kind of thing, but I don't see this season as a low point other seasons need to be measured to.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

One explanation: it doesn't start until after Strictly Come Dancing, so children can't watch it until they turn on iplayer on Sunday morning. (Also, more people using iplayer in general. I watch it on iplayer.)
I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but Doctor Who gets one of the biggest "catch-up" audiences of any show in the UK. For instance (it's the first one I came across) The Witch's Familiar got a "live" audience of only 3.7 million - but about another 2.4 million watched it from other sources within 28 days.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

Penny S:
quote:
One thing I am sure about - Moffat doesn't do things for no reason, and he isn't careless.
I wish I had your faith.

Not that careless. Microphone kit hanging down from New Model Soldiers buff coat maybe. Stacks of stuff, I don't believe.

And I suspect we are going to see more of the States - they couldn't afford to go for such a small section, I would have thought.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Despite being someone who has seen a steady decline since Moff took over, I couldn't fault this week's episode.

Steady decline? As I remember it, you've pretty much declared every episode of the Moffat era a disaster from The Beast Below onwards.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Penny S: And I suspect we are going to see more of the States - they couldn't afford to go for such a small section, I would have thought.
Hey yes, that's very much possible.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Despite being someone who has seen a steady decline since Moff took over, I couldn't fault this week's episode.

Steady decline? As I remember it, you've pretty much declared every episode of the Moffat era a disaster from The Beast Below onwards.
Not entirely unfair. However, I was very much looking forward to Moff taking over as I felt RTD had grown stale, wonderful though his best stuff had been. Tennant's overblown, lachrymose farewell was one of the low points of nu-Who. And Moff was responsible for two of the finest episodes of Who ever - Van Gogh, and The Doctor's Wife. So I would like to think I am not blindly prejudiced against him, merely disappointed in a lot of his work.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Robert Armin: Tennant's overblown, lachrymose farewell was one of the low points of nu-Who.
I wasn't too keen on that either. NuWho has always had story archs from season to season; from season 3 to 7 they seem to have gotten bigger and bigger. I liked some of them, but it is also refreshing to see a return to 'smaller' stories again with Capaldi. Sure, there is talk about a hybrid in this season, but it isn't as heavy foreshadowing as in the previous seasons.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Tennant's overblown farewell.

Youtube

If you can make out any of the words!

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Dreams.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And Clara acting outside herself in the pod as Oswin acted outside the Dalek.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I was reminded of the same thing.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And next week an isolated station with things breaking in - again.

And interruption of the sleep cycle - Hmm.

That was a brilliant speech from Capaldi. On the eve of Remembrance Sunday, and just before the Albert Hall do.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Five rounds, rapid!"

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Let me confound Dafyd by saying I thought that was a really good episode. Even before all the stuff about forgiveness - which I thought was brilliant - I'd loved the struggle Clara had for control. And, as a lifelong asthmatic, the final scene was excellent.

(However, to confirm my reputation as an old miseryguts, I was expecting a new adventure to start tonight. Last week made so little impression on me that I'd forgotten it, and thought this was the first after the dull immortal Viking.)

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And I was also reminded - and probably none of you will be - of a play produced by a Dover sec mod school as an entry in a competition for schools producing TV plays, way way back. It was in an anteroom of the afterlife, with the central character an ex-President of (probably) the USA, who had probably pressed the button. (It was in those days, when we expected someone to do it.) The boy playing the part had to deliver a speech justifying himself. There was a prosecutor and a defender.
There were two doors. For some reason, though it looked very much as if it were going the other way, the one he went through did not go to Hell.
Wish I could remember the words as well as the images and the intensity - which were what the way Dr Who presented it reminded me of.

I shall watch it again tomorrow.

[ 07. November 2015, 19:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"I'm old enough to be your Messiah" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

One thing I didn't like - only two parachutes.
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That anti war speech was possibly the main reason they didn't delay airing the episode as the image of a plane being shot down could be seen to rather offensive, given the current affairs in the Sinai desert.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was an excellent episode, and very relevant to this weekend. The anti-war message was strong and well done.

Next week looks interesting.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did I see Tardis shaped litter bins and a flash of William Hartnell?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There was the use of a character self naming "Me" again.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Did I see Tardis shaped litter bins and a flash of William Hartnell?

Where? Missed those.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The litter bins were around where the Doctor and Osgood were walking at some point and a picture of William Hartnell was on a door that opened when Bonney (Bonny? Bonnie? Bonni?) was in the UNIT Building, just after there was a reflection of Clara in a mirror and just before Bonney came back to look at that. Possibly.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Basil?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, that was great.

I know I said before that Capaldi really seemed to be more comfortable in the role this season, but now he really has nailed the part. The speech was The Doctor, the quintessential distilled essence of The Doctor.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I saw the Hartnell picture last week in that building, so yes. And I noticed the colour, but not the shape of the litter bins - I thought they'd lined it up badly with the action!
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

That was good.

I was thinking about the Doctor's speech during the Remembrance Sunday service.

--------------------

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I spotted that too. Bad news for the pilot, the Zygon and at least one UNIT guard (seen in the background at the end of part one).

The Doctor doesn't save everyone this time.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

According to a website interview with Peter Capaldi, the day they filmed the speech was the day they had a visit from the American ambassador and his retinue. And they applauded.

We are going to another isolated base, in space, next week, with found footage from its wreck. where they have been experimenting with sleeplessness. Which can lead, I think, to waking dreams.

We've had people being contained - Clara in a Dalek and a pod, Ashildr in a helmet, the Dr in Davros' chair and the Fisherking's coffin.

We are heading towards episodes using Heaven and hell in the titles, which suggests an afterlife again, as in the last series. And the week between next and the end two has a Raven, which hangs around death. (Also Ashildr and a variant of Diagon Alley.)

I wonder just how far back we are supposed to go to find when the split from Who reality occurred.

Doesn't Basil mean king?

[ 08. November 2015, 18:58: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Basil is King, or Emperor, I think.

And, damn, that was good! The Doctor's speech in particular, but also the Zygon in the shop, and Kate Stewart's "Five rounds rapid."

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought of Fawlty straight away.

I just looked up the Fisher King and learned that his roar was provided by Corey Taylor of Slipknot.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched the two Zygon episodes today.

Very, very good. The whole thing held together very well. Doctor Who is at its best when it uses a particular alien for a reason, not just as a stock monster because we need to have one. The climactic speech was electrifying.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:

I spotted that too. Bad news for the pilot, the Zygon and at least one UNIT guard (seen in the background at the end of part one).

Well yes, and several piles of incinerated electric hair around the place.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
quote:

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but Doctor Who gets one of the biggest "catch-up" audiences of any show in the UK. For instance (it's the first one I came across) The Witch's Familiar got a "live" audience of only 3.7 million - but about another 2.4 million watched it from other sources within 28 days.
We usually watch it on catch up en famille on Sunday afternoon, as Who excitement just before the youngest is due to go to bed doesn't make for a great evening!
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I thought it was brilliant. The speech of course, but there was so much to like. They way last week's cliff hanger was resolved. Not a cop-out this time. The conversation of Bonnie with Clara. So much going on there. Brilliant acting by Coleman, to be able to play her evil twin without the help of visual aids.

quote:
Stumbling Pilgrim: "I'm old enough to be your Messiah" [Big Grin]
A killer, that line.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:

Well yes, and several piles of incinerated electric hair around the place.
For me, all of that added resonance to the Doctor's forgiveness. Both Humans and Zygons died as a result of Bonnie's uprising. The Doctor could not save everybody, but nevertheless: "I forgive you."

And, yes, Coleman's dual performance was wonderful. When Clara and Bonnie are having their conversation, it was very, very easy to forget that there was just a single actress doing it all. It is no wonder they gave her the week off for "The Woman Who Lived"--she needed the break!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Arising out of a conversation I had in the pub...
Classic Doctor Who serials to recommend.
The following twelve is a moderately personal ordering:

The War Games
Carnival of Monsters
Horror of Fang Rock
The Ribos Operation
City of Death
Warriors Gate
Kinda
Enlightenment
Caves of Androzani
Remembrance of the Daleks
Curse of Fenric
Ghost Light

and for a baker's dozen, Power of the Daleks, which you can only watch as reconstructions on youtube, which is a pity because even as reconstructions on youtube it is really good.

(Classic Doctor Who fans will note that I am a fan of Sylvester McCoy, and also of Doctor Who stories where it is not obvious immediately, or indeed ever, what is going on.)

--------------------

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed that episode and thought the Doctor's speech was fantastic.

But did anyone else notice that one of the helmets from the Viking episode was very prominantly visable right behind the Doctor for the whole of that speech? It might not mean anything but it seems a bit odd. After all, someone must have decided to put it there. Maybe I'm seeing significance where there is none.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I didn't notice, but was alerted to it by another site - in a very special position, and I'm trying to recall what was in that space when we first saw the Black Archive. With no luck.

Next week, I notice in the trailer, someone gets shut in a box again. And the word nightmare is used.

It's rather as if I, when teaching, had given a class a set of items to fit into a story, and I then had a set of utterly different pieces of work, but all including those things, but not necessarily in the same way or in any other way connected.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Erik: But did anyone else notice that one of the helmets from the Viking episode was very prominantly visable right behind the Doctor for the whole of that speech? It might not mean anything but it seems a bit odd. After all, someone must have decided to put it there. Maybe I'm seeing significance where there is none.
The Black Vault is where UNIT stores all the alien stuff they discovered. They found this helmet somewhere in Scandinavia.

--------------------

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, I agree the black archive is a natural place for it to end up. It was just it felt very prominantly placed. If it had been something from old-Who, like the picture of William Hartnell, I would have just thought it was a nice node to the past. But with being something from the current series it felt much more intentional.

As I said before, it's quite likely I am just reading too much into it and am too easily distracted

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

To me, it felt a bit like an inside joke. To us, this is from last month's episode. To UNIT, it is 1100 years old.

I have to say that I'm a bit less suspicious (or more gullible?) than some other people on this thread. A lot of things that have been mentioned ("Another base under siege?" "Some things are not historically accurate!") to me have to do with how action series work, and I'm not seeing a lot behind this.

What I see as significant in this season, as far as story arcs leading up to the last episode go, is the talk about hybrids, and of course the fact that Clara is going to leave.

But I may be wrong.

[ 11. November 2015, 12:11: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
To me, it felt a bit like an inside joke. To us, this is from last month's episode. To UNIT, it is 1100 years old.

Especially as it's not entirely clear what the rules of time travel are in Doctor Who. (*) It's quite possible that it wasn't there when we saw UNIT in The Magician's Apprentice, and has always been there since The Girl Who Died.

(*) This is a lie. It has been established beyond doubt that the rules of time travel are whatever they need to be for the plot of the current episode.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016