homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I've seen Star Wars - the spoiler thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I've seen Star Wars - the spoiler thread
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been quite a few examples on The Big Bang Theory although that programme might not form part of the official Star Wars canon.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the main reason for 3D is that it is much harder to pirate. It helps the studios to protect their product.

I saw the last instalment of Hunger Games in 3D and I didn’t think it added much.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 3D helps to make it a more immersive experience. We choose 3D sometimes, when the film should justify it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 3D was done in post-production, not during shooting. This tends to make the 3D much less effective because the director doesn't have to think about 3D when shooting and because you get odd effects that would not have occurred if you'd used stereoscopic cameras in the first place. In this case, I noticed that the depth was pretty shallow most of the time and the only place where it really played well was in the shot of the Star Destroyer coming way out of the screen.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dislike 3D (real life is bad enough with things coming at you; I don't need that in the movies too) but fortunately I have a pair of 2D glasses which will cancel out the effect and flatten the movie, so that if my husband and/or kids want to see a movie in 3D, I can enjoy it along with them. However they didn't work for Star Wars because the family wanted to see it in IMAX 3D and the 2D glasses didn't work there.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall lining up for Episode 4 in 1977 or whenever it was. No queue for this. It was in various versions at once at a12 theatre complex. Many vacant seats. The 3D version we saw was worth it. Where you sit is important with 3D.

As others have noted, the movie rhymes a little too much with the others, to the point of using a little too much from the past. Got tired of endless battle scenes. The hilt on Ren's light sabre was odd. The woman power aspect was the best addition. Though this didn't extend to Leia who was powerful only in title.

Carrie Fisher looked worse for wear. Harrison Ford needed a shave. The killing of Solo was no surprise to me given it came up on the thread summary here. It didn't ruin the movie, but my appraisal of the death scene is compromised. The simple spacing down or a second paragraph seems a viable solution.

We jointly rated it 7/10. They had a promo for Star Trek - Beyond beforehand. That franchise is currently ahead of SW.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Star Trek - Beyond beforehand

I read this whole thing as the movie title and thought, wow, that's getting very timey-wimey.

One of my brothers said one of the more interesting things to him was the introduction of where all the stormtroopers come from. He thinks, and I agree, that it would be awesome if a big rescue of kids kidnapped to be stormtroopers played a prominent part in one of the next movies. Better than blowing up another big round thing.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also ...

quote:
Carrie Fisher looked worse for wear.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
She was 20 in the first movie, and now she's 59. You've seen other post-menopausal women, right?

I just wish they hadn't made her lose 35 pounds.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Also ...

quote:

She was 20 in the first movie, and now she's 59. You've seen other post-menopausal women, right?

Oh yes indeed. Ms. Fisher and I are of an age. My review includes her acting. She was flat in emotion.[/qb][/quote]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also ...

quote:

To me the obvious aging added to the poignancy of their scenes. When Han simply says "I saw him" you feel like you're getting a glimpse of all that they have gone thru, the pain, the heartbreak

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, the millenial/ thirtysomething fanboys on the Nerdist boards are pissing themselves with worship over La Fischer. Although admittedly it is more over her jaw droppingly badass interview tour.

Paging Stetson-- we need you to climb down out of your art film tower and do us a review! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... And my husband and I agreed that they really need some fresh blood in their engineering departments. Yet one more planet-shaped death weapon with a fatal flaw, honestly.

To be fair, there are a limited number of shapes available. Star Trek has already used the maw and the cube. And phallic weapons have been done to death.
From a heat-loss point of view, a sphere is the only form of large space-ship that makes sense, assuming it doesn't ever interact with entering or leaving an atmosphere. Maximum volume for minimum surface area.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

This is a quite good 10 min video of storm troopers patrolling Tattooine, and getting a call to Luke's aunt and uncle after he left. It is called a COPS parody, but I found it better than the title suggests. youtube link

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Also ...

quote:

To me the obvious aging added to the poignancy of their scenes. When Han simply says "I saw him" you feel like you're getting a glimpse of all that they have gone thru, the pain, the heartbreak
I thought that was the best (and, to us middle-aged folks, the most relateable) moment in the whole movie. The way Han and Leia's relationship turned out is everything I would have hoped for -- they were never the type of couple to live "happily ever after," but they'd never be free of that bond either, especially once they had raised (and lost) a child together.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carrie Fischer apparently sent out one of her trademark lightning bolt tweets in response to people picking on her unbotoxed face, and one of her (very young, male) fans replied that General Organa looked like "a seasoned, war hardened soldier" and therefore exactly the way a general should.

And again I am noting the generational thing- it seems to be the Gen X crowd, only slightly younger than Fischer herself, that is emitting squick about her visible signs of age. Young men think she's a badass, young women want to be her. It's those of an age to be worried about their own encroaching mortality that seem to be making the most noise.
(Yes, I Read the Comments, I'm afraid.)
As for me-- twelve years away from it, but if I accrue half the character and individuality Fischer has by the time I am 59, I will count myself accomplished.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'm nine years younger than Carrie Fisher and I'll be very happy if I look as good as she does when that day arrives. I love seeing an actress past middle age who has actual signs of having lived a human life on her face (and can still move her eyebrows). Harrison Ford looks wonderfully craggy and worn in this movie and people aren't complaining about that.

--------------------
Books and things.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've avoided this thread like the plague but am now pleased to report a viewing. When "A New Hope" came out I took my (then) 8 year old son to see it - we queued for 45 minutes and just got in before the cinema full notices went up (this was before the multiplex era). And it was THE BEST TIME. We just loved it. So it seemed fitting that we should see the new movie together (he's now in his 40s) and we were joined by his 17 year old son.

And it was just brilliant! We we all buzzing and comparing and buzzing some more afterwards. And made a firm resolve to see the next one together. Objective analysis be blowed. This was AN EVENT!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
I'm nine years younger than Carrie Fisher and I'll be very happy if I look as good as she does when that day arrives. I love seeing an actress past middle age who has actual signs of having lived a human life on her face (and can still move her eyebrows). Harrison Ford looks wonderfully craggy and worn in this movie and people aren't complaining about that.

Due to her coloring and bone structure, Fischer resembles quite a few of the Grande Dames of my family tree, so I love her face. It resembles faces I've loved. Amen all over your post.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say, Carrie Fisher looked fantastic. I am actually more puzzled than anything else by all of the criticism.

Many of the original cast are now older. I can't understand why anyone thinks they should look as young as they were 30+ years ago.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She looked great and acted wonderfully. I didn't cry when Han was killed, but when she found out, the look on her face made me lose it completely.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son observed that Carrie Fisher looked less battered by age than Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill. "Rather like mum and you" he thought. Cheeky monkey.

Actually, I think there's something rather good about looking "lived in". Beats the Hell out of Botox and wigs. Different rules apply to Chewbacca, C3PO and R2D2 of course.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

... Fisher. Where did I get Fischer?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it, but found it too much like the original films for comfort.

Especially with the major premis of the film being about trying to destroy a superweapon with a small but "easily" accessed vulnerability.

I like that there is ambiguity about what happened to some Characters, and the history of others, and I hope that the coming films will bring answers to those questions in a new way.

Maybe it's just because I saw the film as an adult rather than a child, but there were somethings which didn't make sense to me, which I know people have touched on here already.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... Fisher. Where did I get Fischer?

Bobby (the late, great, US chessplayer) has a similar kind of rhythm to Carrie?

[ 31. December 2015, 20:54: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw an interview of Lucas by Charlie Rose.
One of the most awkward interviews I think I've seen.
Lucas is sat there like a poorly posed mankin and doesn't present his own story very well. Always stiff, by turns arrogant and self-depreciating, but both in a muted way.
Charlie Rose does an excellent impression of Gollum as a Star Wars fanboy.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
My son observed that Carrie Fisher looked less battered by age than Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill.

It didn't help Mark that he was also battered by a car accident at the end of filming for the first Star Wars movie.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Yes, I totally agree with that assessment, RuthW. I think Kylo Ren as an unformed would-be villain (who admits to still feeling a pull toward the light, though probably a bit less now after the whole patricide thing) is one of the things that makes this series potentially more interesting to me than the original.

Haven't seen it yet, but amongst my fan stuff I read thar Kylo Ren is played by Adam Driver, who in other work has struck me as an intelligent, invested actor. In particular, he seems to have a knack for moral ambiguity, so I look forward to seeing how he handles this.
Being in the industry, I rarely get props or costumes and I was not involved in this film-shoot. It was light-years more exotic watching when Z and I were the only people in the cinema, as some characters had forgotten them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I liked it, but found it too much like the original films for comfort.

Especially with the major premis of the film being about trying to destroy a superweapon with a small but "easily" accessed vulnerability.

I thought it was a bit of an affectionate send-up, especially with Han Solo's reaction to the question of what do we do - we go in and blow it up. Because the final battle wasn't so much about the starkiller but Rey, Kylo Ren and his dad, and Fin.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention an unintentional moment of humour in the French subtitles when Finn hastily discards the idea of using the initials of his stormtrooper number as a name: F-N.

Which in France means Front National.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if I'll read the rest of the thread, because of what was said in Styx about people enthusiastically posting speculative semi-spoilers from various books.

BTW, if you go to IMDB's page for the movie and look at the cast list, do not click on the "more" after linked character names. Because IMDB stupidly lists if that character is in the 2017 movie. Fortunately, the one I saw isn't central, but I'd rather have been surprised.
[Disappointed]

Now, the movie. I saw it yesterday, the 2D version at an early (cheap!) showing. I usually don't like 3D, so this was perfect for me. And no lines.

I'm so glad they were kickin' it old school. [Yipee] From the few trailers I saw, I thought they might be. I'm generally not a fan of the newer movies. I loved the original ones, which started in my teens.

The story fits well with the original 3. I would've done a few things differently, mostly cinematography. I wonder if some semi-important bits wound up on the cutting room floor, and may show up in a director's cut edition.

I don't think either of the 2 main "deaths" is necessarily final. If anyone could manage to somehow survive/escape that fall and explosion, it's Han Solo. And it was strange about Finn. When he was being loaded onto transport, someone said that he still had a pulse. But Ray treated him as dead, later on, when she said goodbye to him. I kept wondering why she didn't at least *try* to use the Force to heal him. Maybe that kiss will?

All the original characters/actors looked great. I've heard that people have been trashing Carrie Fisher for aging; but it's been 40 years since the original film! I don't know what the time gap is in the fictional world; but it's probably at least 20 years later. Carrie, Harrison, and Mark all looked great--and that beard looks surprisingly good on Mark.

It was nice to see some of the old non-central characters, like Admiral fishface. I liked new barkeep very much. Kept reminding me of Linda Hunt. And I like the idea that she's been around for 1000 years. Will be interesting to see what the holographic leader really is.

I've only read the OP on this thread, but I agree about Ben looking like a young Snape. I kept trying to figure that out during the film. It was good to see Han and Leia reuniting about helping their son. When Han saw him on the bridge, I had an idea of what was going to happen. Strong echoes of ep. 4. I was hoping Han would say "I love you" or "I forgive you" before falling--but that last caring touch was wonderful.

I like Rey a lot. Probably Luke's kid, or from the extended family. And what about Finn?

I like the new droid--BB4? And the back story of R2 powering down for years, then waking up for BB4 was good. C3P0 was his usual, annoying self...though he does catch on a little more quickly than he used to. (Scene with Leia and Han.) And it was wonderful to see Chewbacca again!!!

When I heard that Lucas sold SW to Disney, I was angry and maybe questioned his sanity. But JJ Abrams did a good job, and did not make it into a Disney film. I think he set up enough story and possibilities for at least a couple more films. I'm excited! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw it yesterday and liked a lot of it.

Rey is obviously brilliant. Finn is, I think, the most convincing protagonist in an action movie I have ever seen, because he basically spends the entire film looking genuinely scared. And, really, you would be, if anything like that happened in real life.

My favourite moment of the film is when Finn sees Rey getting mugged by two bazaar goons, and you can see that he's going to intervene to save her, but he's exhausted, and nervous, and just at the point of screwing up enough courage - by which time, Rey has recovered and laid out both attackers. That was beautifully done.

Worst bit was the utterly unconvincing planetary super-weapon. I don't care that it was a re=worked Death Star. I liked the Death Star. What made it shit was the whole 'drain the sun to blow up a planet' thing. It's as if the director hadn't learned that stars are, in fact, quite a bit bigger than planets, and if you are designing a machine to destroy planets, doing it by means of first destroying a star is going to make the task many orders of magnitude harder. It would be like swallowing a bonfire in order to light your own farts.

And if the stupid fucking thing drains the sun every time it's fired, I'm guessing that someone lost the page of the design spec headed "Reusability". Unless, of course, it's capable (as the Death Star was) of interstellar travel, in which case, why not fly it to the system you're attacking and drain their sun, rather than one of your own?

I know Star Wars is space opera, not hard sci-fi, but that bit of the movie was, frankly, moronic, and I had to work very hard on my suspension of disbelief to avoid having it spoil what was otherwise a very good film.

(Kylo Ren - yes, I liked the fact that he wasn't a fully-formed villain. It was great for the character, and it was played brilliantly. But it did leave the film with truly evil things being done by the First Order, without any real focus on a character who was thoroughly evil. Which I think is a weakness for the film as a whole.)

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was impressed with the special effects when the space ships were over water,and the water got all churned up.
And I thought Han looked awful, poor chap - but nobody seems to be criticising the way he's aged.
And I'm afraid I found myself speaking some of the lines as they happened, which kind of shows how well I know the characters - like when Rey said "This is the ship that did the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs?" I said "12 parsecs" at exactly the same time as Han!
Oh, and it's BB8!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
...And I thought Han looked awful, poor chap - but nobody seems to be criticising the way he's aged...

Some of the stuff I've read is implying that the younger male audience is fine with Carrie Fisher looking older as that is what a general ought to look like. It's some of the ones who are stuck on the gold bikini that have a problem.

My favourite bit was Rey yelling at Finn for trying to hold her hand whilst running. I've been waiting for someone in an action film to say that for years.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Totally!
quote:
Carrie Fischer apparently sent out one of her trademark lightning bolt tweets in response to people picking on her unbotoxed face, and one of her (very young, male) fans replied that General Organa looked like "a seasoned, war hardened soldier" and therefore exactly the way a general should.

And again I am noting the generational thing- it seems to be the Gen X crowd, only slightly younger than Fischer herself, that is emitting squick about her visible signs of age. Young men think she's a badass, young women want to be her. It's those of an age to be worried about their own encroaching mortality that seem to be making the most noise.
As for me-- twelve years away from it, but if I accrue half the character and individuality Fischer has by the time I am 59, I will count myself accomplished.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Oh, and it's BB8!

When a point was made that the BB unit was in a unique white and orange colour, I thought it strange that other, normal coloured BB units were not on the film.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the director's first Star Trek reboot movie (with apologies to people who loved it), but I enjoyed his take on Star Wars. For me, The Force Awakens seemed to 'go with the grain' of the previous films more than the Star Trek reboot did.

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
... Rey is obviously brilliant. Finn is, I think, the most convincing protagonist in an action movie I have ever seen ... Worst bit was the utterly unconvincing planetary super-weapon. ... And if the stupid fucking thing drains the sun every time it's fired, I'm guessing that someone lost the page of the design spec headed "Reusability".

I agree! If only the bad guys could come up with a new plan, rather than 'let's make yet another big round planet-killing super weapon'. I agree with people who said that it's odd for the good guys to be the Resistance when they won last time. I enjoyed both the old and the new characters a lot. I liked the desert planet with the wreckage of old hardware lying in the sand - just one of many echoes of the old movies which worked for me.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And they don't seem to realize that draining a sun is a =fine= weapon just there. Drain that sun and use the energy elsewhere. Leave your enemy in the dark to turn into a gigantic ball of ice, the oceans freezing, photosynthesis grinding to a halt, animals dying in droves. What's not to like? But you get no keen aerial battles that way.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point!

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Yeah, really, if you have the technology to drain suns, why not use it to power your vast home entertainment system and then sit back and play video games while your enemies freeze to death? Building the sun-powered weapon is a totally unnecessary intermediate step.

--------------------
Books and things.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention using to to blast apart those aforesaid balls of ice that used to be the planets in the system. Actually you would need all the energy, to move your sun-sucking weapon to another system. If you want to use it again (and surely it would be inefficient to build a weapon you can only use once) you need to move it to a new target.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Totally!
quote:

Apologies, Kelly. [Hot and Hormonal] I'd read it elsewhere as well and had forgotten you'd got there first.

I could live without the couple of comments I've seen from journalists who seem to think that dodgy comments are what you would expect of anyone who enjoys watching fantasy films [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Will be interesting to see what the holographic leader really is.

Why, it's Jar Jar Binks [Biased]

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Kye-Lo-Ren was great up until the point he took his mask off. Distinct whiff of Bane from The Dark Knight Rises but then he just turned into teenage Snape.

My thought exactly.

Well, not quite exactly. My actual thought was a teenage Snape with much better hair care products,

But here's what bothers me: If Luke has vanished and has been missing all these years, and if no one knew where he was, then who put the map that says "here he is!" together? Did I miss some quick but vital bit of explanation on that, perhaps while I was wondering how long I'd be able to make it before slipping out for a quick bathroom break?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Clearly, it was Luke himself.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Clearly, it was Luke himself.

That thought occurred to me, but that seemed very unsatisfying and . . . odd. He vanishes, upset at what has become of his star pupil, and goes in search of the first Jedi Temple (meaning, presumably, he doesn't know where he's going), and yet here and there he leaves bits and pieces of a here's–where–to–find–me map? Really?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I can't speak to his motives, which are clearly going to Be Revealed in a Later Movie. But it is the only logical solution given the data we have. The equivalent of "I don't want email and cell phone, but if there's a death in the family and you really have to get hold of me, send a note to this post office in Montana and I'll see it when I go in once a month for supplies."

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Space Opera it definitely was - great term for it. If someone had compiled a list of boxes to tick to create a Star Wars spin off movie, then every one of the boxes got ticked. But it was comfortably satisfying, and leaves you willing to go back for the next instalment - surely just what the producers want, right?

Best moment for me - seeing Chewbacca 'going ape' after Solo falls.

Prediction: just as this movie was about signing off on the character of Han Solo, the next one will be about signing off on the character of Luke Skywalker and the last one will be about signing off on the character of Leia Organa.
Not sure if Rey will be the replacement for all three - but it looks like she has the potential to be, before the franchise leaves the galaxy in a far far better way than we have ever known before.

Loved the new female lead - Daisy and the writers got it right. Tick.
Loved the heart-throbby ace Po. A tick for all those who love Italian formula one race car drivers.
Loved the character of FiN - now we know why the clone army had to be eliminated. A tick for those who love to see African American leads.
Loved the character of Maz. A tick for those who needed to see a mystic equivalent to Yoda ( derivative surely of Gaia - Whoopi Goldberg's Star Trek character).
Bits for the kids - BB8 is super cute and franchisable in so many ways - especially for the Japanese market. Nods to C3PO - still annoyingly in the way and R2D2 - although it seemed like the script writers were struggling to give them anything to do that made any sense.
Loved seeing Han and Chewbacca still roaming the galaxy together. After the well documented health struggles of Ford, Fisher and Hamill, it was good to see them in action again.
Fisher had the hardest role - a Princess and a general. A worried mother who couldn't leave her post, and an ex-lover of someone still frequently MIA. So much to get across in so few lines.
Ticks to all three.
Ticks to all the Dark Force bits that have become so well known - the voice in the mask, the trembling minions, the ability to throttle with a look and a gesture. The shady master.

And of course the symbolic draining of the light - when the sun goes out and Solo junior turns to the darkness. This really made me smile - because I am always telling my children to "Swim towards the Light" when they are feeling engulfed by feelings or circumstances of doom. I could feel every parent's pain at that point. Big tick from me.

So much opera. And so much of it rightly so. May the Force continue. Looking forward to the next one. I bet it's already in post production. They can't leave it too long if Fisher and Hamill have major parts.

[Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banner Lady:
quote:
Loved the character of Maz. A tick for those who needed to see a mystic equivalent to Yoda ( derivative surely of Gaia - Whoopi Goldberg's Star Trek character).
I really liked her, too, a wise ancient woman who ran a bar. But just a point of info, Whoopi's character was named "Guinan".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes - getting my Captain Planet mixed up with my Captain Picard. Live long enough and they all start running into each other.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Loved the character of FiN - now we know why the clone army had to be eliminated. A tick for those who love to see African American leads.

I was slightly confused that British John Boyega used an American accent.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016