homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The strongest oath she used was " Saint Eloy!" (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The strongest oath she used was " Saint Eloy!"
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sock sucker

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the film Parting Glances two of the characters smash a whole collection of crockery and at the end one puts his hand to his mouth and says:

quote:
Oh dear, what have we done?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drat and bother.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man on a bicycle!

My mother would sometimes be maddened into 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph!'

My grandmother was a good deal less pious and would snarl 'Shut your mouth and give your arse a chance!'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so stealing that one!

Shut your mouth and give your arse a chance!

for those times when I am at my absolute rope's end.

[Overused]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago on the beach I passed a small boy who had built a sand castle and was happily patting it into shape as he sang "bugger,bugger,bugger...." He must have found it a very satisfying sound.
Long afterwards this tv commercial gave the word a new respectability and it became the oath of choice in our house (we loved the dog).
Of course in, I think, Solomon Islands pidgin, 'bagarap' is the formal word for broken, spoiled, not working.

Another version of the 'hell's bells' is 'hell's bells and buggy wheels'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two more Irish ones from my childhood:

"I hope you die roaring!" In response to some egregious slight or other; and

"[So and so] said..." "[So and so]! If he knew Latin, he'd say mass" indicating that so and so always had something to say on any given subject, with shades of this being due to fondness of the sound of his voice,

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Many years ago on the beach I passed a small boy who had built a sand castle and was happily patting it into shape as he sang "bugger,bugger,bugger...." He must have found it a very satisfying sound.
Long afterwards this tv commercial gave the word a new respectability and it became the oath of choice in our house (we loved the dog).
Of course in, I think, Solomon Islands pidgin, 'bagarap' is the formal word for broken, spoiled, not working.

Another version of the 'hell's bells' is 'hell's bells and buggy wheels'.

GG

GG, my second grandchild was about fifteen months old when those ads were around. She was an early walker and talker. At a family dinner one night, she was pushing a stroller around, laden with various toys. She hit a wall and the toys fell out. "Oh bugger!" she said, loudly. My eldest son, her uncle, nearly fell off his chair laughing. He was triumphant. Unknown to any one else he had been coaxing her in it. To hear it said so appropriately was very funny.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite is Rats. If I'm really perturbed, it's Razzle Frazzle.

My mother never said naughty words until the three of us were grown and out of the nest. I'm still taken aback when she uses what has turned out to be her favorite: shit.

My grandmother who was the queen of propriety once played Scrabble with my siblings and me, and chose shit as her word. I can still hear her giggling.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I picked up swearing at the Congregational Church Badminton Club!

The words are stored in the brain differently from normal language, and using them can reduce pain sensitivity. I suppose "Fishcakes", "Sugar", "Hell's Teeth" and such like can be imbued with that power, given enough explosive consonants.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The oddest one I've heard was years ago from my wife's reverend grandfather in Montana. Someone said something he didn't believe, and he retorted, "So's your old man!" Upon further enquiry to my father-in-law, it was a familiar one, but I've never heard it since.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Jo March, 'Christopher Columbus!'.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We tend to more tame language in (parts) of my family. My grandfather used "Oh pshaw" as his highest (public) expression of disappointment. My mother occasionally came out with "Hell's bells and panther tracks". I usually use "Oh grump!"

Having worked in logging camps and the like, I've been around a lot of swearing, but not necessarily very creative. Perhaps the most extensive outbreak of swearing directed at me was at a professional meeting between two high-tech companies, in response to the charts I had prepared showing the correlation between two measurements. I wasn't there myself, but my manager later recounted the details of the response from our customer's technical lead, who rattled through at least half a dozen profanities in his surprise that we were measuring characteristics at least an order of magnitude better than he thought was possible.

(It seems that many high-tech companies have a very competent, high level employee whose salty public expressions are tolerated in light of the value of their other contributions.)

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always 'Bum!' or, in extreme cases, 'Double bum!!'

Many years ago I was talking to my aunt, who had what today would be considered a pretty informal child-care operation, when a small girl came up to her and reported in a shocked tone, 'Miss C, Terry said "Bottom"!'

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once shared an office with someone who would exclaim 'Blooming!' when provoked. That was odd in itself (so odd that I still occasionally use it myself.) However, the reason it was most memorable was because of a grammar pedant who also shared our office, who would collapse onto her desk practically sobbing, 'You can't just say 'Blooming'! It's an adjective!!!'

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A priest colleague (a few years back) referred in a sermon to someone as a 'schmuck.' I asked him afterwards if he was aware that was a Yiddish word (derived from the Polish) for penis. He was not particularly concerned, saying that he thought most folks would take it to mean 'jerk,' which was what he meant.

I did point out, however, that there was at least one person in the congo who was fluent in Yiddish.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father was partial to "Oh, balls".

He stopped using that phrase after I took it for a test drive one day in front of company. I don't recall how old I was, but surely old enough to know better.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
A priest colleague (a few years back) referred in a sermon to someone as a 'schmuck.' I asked him afterwards if he was aware that was a Yiddish word (derived from the Polish) for penis. He was not particularly concerned, saying that he thought most folks would take it to mean 'jerk,' which was what he meant.

I did point out, however, that there was at least one person in the congo who was fluent in Yiddish.

I'm not convinced that jerk is entirely kosher, either.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why polite Jews will use shmoe or schlemiel instead. Not quite the same meaning, but close enough.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a young relative staying whose language was sometimes unacceptable to his mother. Mum taught him Muckleflugger which she later claimed was a place in Scotland. His mother was a bit taken aback at his new vocabulary.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Which is why polite Jews will use shmoe or schlemiel instead. Not quite the same meaning, but close enough.

A schlemiel is a guy who trips and spills the soup. A schlematzl is the guy the soup lands on. Just in case anyone was wondering.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

I'm not convinced that jerk is entirely kosher, either.
The etymology is uncertain. Possibly railway related.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
I am so stealing that one!

Shut your mouth and give your arse a chance!

for those times when I am at my absolute rope's end.

You may also enjoy one of my favourites: "Don't be a [noun of choice, with optional preceding adjective] all your life; take today off".
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, I heard someone use "f*** me backwards with a Chinese broomstick" as an expression of exasperation.

I immediately adopted it, often shortened just to "with a Chinese broomstick".

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The (English-speaking) pastor I trained with would, in cases of extreme provocation, exclaim "pigs' ears!"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a pal who went for "Blood and sand." Never could work out why. He was from Wigan.

"Tartarus" has a certain ring to it (needs a posh accent to really land well mind...)

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Many years ago, I heard someone use "f*** me backwards with a Chinese broomstick" as an expression of exasperation.

Is that a curse, or a request?

I have heard the Abbot President of the English Benedictine Congregation use, without irony, 'dash' and 'drat'. Strong stuff, I fear.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... Muckleflugger which she later claimed was a place in Scotland ...

Spelled correctly, it is. [Big Grin]

A former colleague used to use "cheese and biscuits!" at points of frustration (usually when dealing with a recalcitrant photocopier); "Shostakovich!" is also quite useful.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

A schlemiel is a guy who trips and spills the soup. A schlematzl is the guy the soup lands on. Just in case anyone was wondering.
Years ago, I saw a poster put up on a lamppost by my city's contingent of neo-nazis. It showed a guy who was supposed to be an average middle-class citizen, somehow getting beaten up or otherwise abused by immigrants and left-wing bureaucrats.

An arrow was pointed at the hapless citizen, bearing the legend "Typical Canadian schmuck".

A friend of mine observed that political-correctness really has gotten out of hand, when even neo-nazis feel obligated to include Yiddish in their propaganda.

[ 21. December 2015, 16:11: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

A variant on that (heard in New York) is that the schlematzl is one who sees the banana skin in time, but trips on it anyway. I felt personally touched by that.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing Shostakovitch mentioned reminded me of the old R White's lemonade advert, where the polar bear drinking the lemonade shouts out "Rimsky Korsakov!" at one point, a swear word which I've occasionally found quite useful.

And when I was a kid, my dad was the sort of car driver who shouted insults at other drivers as he went along. Being considerate, when we two kids were in the back of the car, he used to restrain himself and just shout "Pudding!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post, but I've just noticed Truman White mention "Blood and Sand!" and a man from Wigan.
That originally came from a silent film about bullfighting, starring Rudolf Valentino, and was taken up as a popular swearing phrase in Lancashire.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
And when I was a kid, my dad was the sort of car driver who shouted insults at other drivers as he went along. Being considerate, when we two kids were in the back of the car, he used to restrain himself and just shout "Pudding!"

I used to say a very bad word (very, very bad) when I was driving, and a regular passenger asked me not to say it any more, so I changed it to 'BIGOT!'

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in case it has not been mentioned so far, there is always "Hell's bells and buckets of blood."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
quote:

A variant on that (heard in New York) is that the schlematzl is one who sees the banana skin in time, but trips on it anyway. I felt personally touched by that.
Buddy Hackett did a longish routine about the Schlemiel/ Schlematzl dynamic. Like you, when I heard it I kept identifying with the Schlematzl. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seeing Shostakovitch mentioned reminded me of the old R White's lemonade advert, where the polar bear drinking the lemonade shouts out "Rimsky Korsakov!" at one point,

Didn't the polar bear advertise Cresta?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seeing Shostakovitch mentioned reminded me of the old R White's lemonade advert, where the polar bear drinking the lemonade shouts out "Rimsky Korsakov!" ...

When D. was a student in the 1970s, he and some of his more eccentric* friends used to go to prominent bits of Bristol and shout "Rimsky Korsakov" at the tops of their voices.

* for "eccentric" read "drunken" ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

You may be right about Cresta, Phantom Flan Flinger. I've just got it mixed up in my head with the Secret Lemonade Drinker song.

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This will categorically out me to anyone who knows me in Real Life, but I have a friend who never* actually swears. She does, however, have an excellent line in non-sweary swearing, from the simple and effective "Laaa!" (said as a loud and sudden ejaculation) through to more convoluted phrases.

My all-time favourite occurred many moons ago. We were both on the diaconate at the time, and prone to get fed up with the endless, tedious, pointless, circular discussions that happened just so everyone could say their piece and Feel Important. After one epically long piece of vocal masturbation from a colleague my chum lifted her head from the table in quite a stately fashion, threw it back, and all the way through was going "Oh Fffffffffff...fffff..."

Oh no! I thought, she's finally going to crack and say FFS, which is what I was thinking.

"Oh fffff ... ffffff .fffff ..fFFFFFLIPPITY-FLOP!! Are we REALLY still talking about this?"

And silence fell.

(*Now commuted to 'rarely' and only mildly)

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Shouldn't that asterisk have led to "hardly ever"?

[ 23. December 2015, 19:45: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sort of does, but for some reason my addled brain put the footnote in brackets, too.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend once who worked in a very uptight office. My friend, who had quite the potty mouth indeed, taught herself to mutter "Tomato!" when provoked. Tomato was the last (and only spoken) word in a very long a filthy list of curse words.

I use Son of a Buck or Son of a Biscuit Eater quite regularly...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My great grandfather (I have been told) was fond of "Oh Helgeland, Dogger and Fortis!"

(UK Shippies may recognise some current and former areas from the shipping forecast)

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend back in the late 70's who use to use Ho Chi Minh's name as a curse word. I picked it up and still use it, though it clearly shows my age. My other favorite is shit, because it just fits so many situations.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
semi-random tangent: When my husband was reunited with his sister from Vietnam after twenty years of separation, they hugged, kissed, and then sat down to have a fart war and sing "Ho Chi Minh's Underwear" together.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My post Christmas entertainment has been watching 'All Gas and Gaiters', the 1960s sitcom set in a Cathedral close. the Bishop's Chaplain, played by Derek Nimmo, uses the expression 'Oh Moses!' when deeply moved.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When dealing with a young child, "Oh Poo" can take on great significance and import.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
My great grandfather (I have been told) was fond of "Oh Helgeland, Dogger and Fortis!"

(UK Shippies may recognise some current and former areas from the shipping forecast)

Heligoland, Dogger and Forties, surely? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My uncle used to say, "rump-fed runyon". I later learned that it's from Shakespeare.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
within my circle of cousins, we always used to refer in hushed tones of "The day that Grandma swore" - epecially when referring to anything else which was a rare occurence

it wasn't until a few years back - all as grown adults -when someone referred to it again, and in discussion we realised that we each remembered a separate occasion, so Grandma was perhaps not as reserved as we thought !

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016