homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Heaven : The One True Bacon -------- (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven : The One True Bacon --------
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over in Purg they are debating the role of free food in attracting people to church. But clearly such trivia as eternal salvation are as nothing compared to the really important issue - which is the proper composition and correct name for the blessed association of bread and bacon?

I would place a marker for Bacon Bap. Said bap to be round, soft, white (but with extra points for a crusty top), buttered and containing no fewer than two rashers of back bacon.

[ 26. May 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In any event - slices of fresh white bloomer loaf.

Trad - buttered, with at least 2 rashers of crisp smoked back bacon.

Mod Oz - aioli in place of butter, possibly some sliced or mashed avo. Good bacon is hard to come by in Sydney, but definitely back bacon still.

Plenty of valid uses for streaky bacon, of course. Bacon sarnies just isn't one of them.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bacon sandwich or even bacon sarnie. White bread from an actual loaf, no butter, two slices of perfectly cooked, not too crispy bacon, tomato sauce. No more, no less. Preferably eaten in the open air because for some reason they always taste better. Though a lazy Sunday morning breakfast with a toasted bacon sandwich on white bread with real (cooked) tomato is another good thing.

Under no circumstances should there be any green salad or mayonnaise in a simple bacon sandwich. No baps, rolls, barms, batches, hoagies, etc - the ratio of bread to bacon will be disproportionate.

The bacon should not be streaky, btw.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
However, if you do have streaky bacon lying around.

Toast two slices of bread ( your choice, but sliced.)

Either spread each slice thinly with mayonnaise or one slice thickly.

Add a couple leaves of lettuce.

Slice one tomato, blot the slices gently with a paper towel, layer on top of lettuce.

Add a generous* portion of crisp fried streaky bacon.

For extra decadence, add sliced or gently mashed avocado.

Put slices together.

Die of endorphin overload.

* I believe Erin's unit of measurement was "a metric fuckton"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to create the illusion that you are eating a Healthy Salad, you can deconstruct the foregoing as follows -

Mix shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, diced avocado and chopped scallion. Fry pieces of streaky bacon until really crisp. Fry cubes of sourdough in the bacon fat. Tip bread and bacon on to the green stuff and toss the lot in a very mustardy vinaigrette.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sad to have to contradict my friend Ariel here and say that HP Sauce or even Branston Pickle™ is preferable to Tomato Ketchup for a proper bacon buttie taste - but as I went veggie over 30 years ago I doubt that my view counts for much.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently came across the Elvis Breakfast Sandwich, quite possibly the cause of his untimely demise:

Toast two slices of toast and fry some bacon.
Spread one slice with peanut butter and the other with honey.
Put the bacon on the peanut butter and chop a banana across the honey.
Press together and then butter the outside of the sandwich.
Fry the buttered sides in the bacon fat. It is vitally important that no cholesterol can be allowed to escape.

I don't particularly like peanut butter so I use Marmite instead ... [Axe murder]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good bacon is hard to come by in Sydney, but definitely back bacon still.
Kittyville, the secret is getting bacon from the butcher, not the slimy prepacks from supermarket. Ask friends if they can recommend one to begin the search. I used to get bacon with my vegetable order . It came from a butcher in Bondi who smoked the bacon he sold n a small smoker. Given the ethnicity of many around Bondi, this came as a surprise. Different ethnicity but same dietary restrictions in Liverpool but one son bought good bacon from a butcher there when he worked there.

My youngest son makes his own. I have a Scandinavian electric smoker and I gave him the smoker pan from same company. He uses it on his big kettle BBQ. Cures it himself with a variety of different recipes and then smokes it slowly. It does not look like commercial bacon but he and his nine year old son say it is the best bacon in the world.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Lothlorien. I have also thought about smoking my own bacon, but haven't experimented yet.

I am lucky - my local IGA has bacon from both Poacher's Pantry and Schmidt's (a Victorian smokehouse). Both excellent. But my local butcher is not a good source of bacon. I get the impression that it is very much a localised, hit and miss, thing in Sydney.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very hit and miss indeed. Try the good feta from the deli at IGA too. My son works two evenings a week up the road at the Supabarn and buys that bacon thre. I had forgotten it till you mentioned it. Even better with staff discount.

[ 03. January 2016, 11:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good quality thick cut bacon, fried, mushrooms sliced and fried with minimal fat, sandwiched between two slices of thick cut bread from a crusty loaf from a local bakery. Mmmmm

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Good quality thick cut bacon, fried, mushrooms sliced and fried with minimal fat, sandwiched between two slices of thick cut bread from a crusty loaf from a local bakery. Mmmmm

Seconded. No harm is done by toasting the bread either.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Mushrooms? What mad Welsh heresy is this? Totally the wrong texture.

Now if you'd said hash brown I could understand.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can recommend a small fresh baguette filled with hot bacon and mushrooms and drizzled with tomato sauce, as eaten on the way to work. Grated cheese an additional option.

However, the perfect bacon sarnie doesn't usually involve mushrooms because the buggers always escape long before you can eat them.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely love black bacon in a bap (although I only use this supplier as an example).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White bread, spread with ketchup and filled with fried bacon. (Grilling it is just too healthy)
Though I used to make a tasty bacon and egg butty as follows
Fry the bacon, then fry the egg in the bacon fat (I like to burst the yolk while its in the pan so it's not runny)
Put the bacon and egg in bread spread with ketchup (you can add grated cheese if you want extra cholesterol)
Finally fry the sandwich in the pan to use up any excess fat!

Here in cork they make 'breakfast rolls' which is essentially a fry up in a short crunchy baton. Bacon, egg, sausage, black and white pudding, tomato, mushroom... The contents can vary a bit but any or all of these can be included

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
In any event - slices of fresh white bloomer loaf.

Trad - buttered, with at least 2 rashers of crisp smoked back bacon.

Mod Oz - aioli in place of butter, possibly some sliced or mashed avo. Good bacon is hard to come by in Sydney, but definitely back bacon still.

Plenty of valid uses for streaky bacon, of course. Bacon sarnies just isn't one of them.

Correct.

And the right name for it is Bacon Butty [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bread lightly toasted (in other words slightly crisp but barely any colour), then only one slice buttered so the other can absorb the fat from the bacon, which should be crispy. If you like, you can substitute cream cheese for the butter.

And preferably top the bacon with a fried egg - heaven and breakfast in one. [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My preference is for some decent wholemeal bread with a bit of flavour to it. I haven't been able to find anything much in the US - bread here is sweet. Incredibly sweet. Even the special bread for diabetics is full of sweeteners.

Probably my first choice would be to begin with a tray of wholemeal rolls fresh from the oven. Cut open, butter, insert plenty of bacon (dry cure, thick cut, not smoked, and back bacon, of course.) Bacon should be fried just enough that it begins to crisp on the edges - we're looking for meaty, not crispy.

Add a little HP sauce, and a large mug of some fairly robust tea.

This isn't a butty - it's a bacon roll.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I absolutely love black bacon in a bap (although I only use this supplier as an example).

Ah, now black bacon is wonderful, though hard to come by. I used to get it at a farmers' market but they've stopped coming to it now.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
However, if you do have streaky bacon lying around.

Toast two slices of bread ( your choice, but sliced.)

Either spread each slice thinly with mayonnaise or one slice thickly.

Add a couple leaves of lettuce.

Slice one tomato, blot the slices gently with a paper towel, layer on top of lettuce.

Add a generous* portion of crisp fried streaky bacon.

For extra decadence, add sliced or gently mashed avocado.

Put slices together.

Die of endorphin overload.

* I believe Erin's unit of measurement was "a metric fuckton"

This is the way I do it, with two variations.

First, I don't toast the bread, I smear mayonnaise on both sides and brown it on a hot griddle. Don't knock it till you've tried it. Then add more mayo, as described above.

Second, I don't consider most grocery store tomatoes worth eating, the mealy, flavorless things. Every summer, I grow an entire vine of beefsteak heirloom tomatoes for the sole purpose an annual two week bacon-lettuce-tomato orgy. Now if you really want a BLT outside of that thin window, I suppose you can make do, but once you have had a BLT with a fresh off the vine Black Krim or Mortgage Lifter, anything else is just going to disappoint.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American bacon sandwich, AKA "BLT"—Kelz pretty well nails it. I'll sometimes do tomato or bacon on the side if it's one of the tart tomatoes I like—have to respect both the fruit and the bacon—and no avocado, but that's personal. I like the crisp of black bacon and lettuce, the twang of good tomato, but not the squish of avocado.

English bacon sarnie—bap roll, two rashers, HP sauce, maybe some cheddar or Red Leicester if you're going for overkill. The texture of the roll and back bacon is already kind of toothsome (as opposed to the crispness of American bacon/sourdough toast/lettuce); the cheese and HP add some contrasting twang.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sliced, brown bread for me, as it comes or lightly toasted, with or without butter (depending on how fatty the bacon is or how moist the bread is). Two or three crispy rashers, and that's it. No sauce. Definitely no tomato ketchup. Ketchup ruins anything it touches and has no place near food, certainly not near a bacon butty.

A bacon barm is also perfectly acceptable, as long as it isn't one of those weird ones with flour all over it, (I don't know who sat down one day and thought this would be a good idea.)

[ 04. January 2016, 19:37: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And for some of us 'sons of the south' there's the BTE, that is, the Bacon-Tomato-Elvis, which leaves out the lettuce and subs in peanut butter. (Optional to add a sliced banana.)

I looked askance at my first one, but they proved addictive! [Yipee]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Once sampled a bacon and maple syrup iced doughnut.

Way to ruin three foodstuffs.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Once sampled a bacon and maple syrup iced doughnut.

Way to ruin three foodstuffs.

It's part of this weirdness about making meat taste sweet. It's all maple-drizzled this and honey-glazed that. I don't know why people can't just leave well enough alone.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, we can't get Proper Back Bacon™ here; there is something that they call back bacon, but it's not the same (and costs a bl**dy fortune). [Waterworks]

What I'd call a bacon sandwich or sarnie would be ideally a nice soft, white roll, untoasted, lightly buttered (optional) with at least two or three rashers of back bacon inside. No sauce.

One of the many pleasures of going to Orkney is the bacon sandwiches on the Pentalina ferry, which are much as described above, and a little taste of Heaven. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just waiting to see what turns presently under the description 'Bacon Roll' on the east coast service to King's Cross. If the menu is to be believed it will be exquisite rashers from rare breed pig (possibly because they keep killing 'em for sarnies?)

Aaaannd...OK. Roll rather too flabby and bacon flavour best described as 'mild'. Plus not very fatty - and you need the succulence of hot grease for the correct umami.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper bacon is one of the reasons British expats all over Paris are on our knees thanking the Lord for the return of Marks and Sparks. While they have all sorts of tasty charcuterie, the French make no pork product comparable to thick cut back bacon.

I’m in favour of toasting the bread because it stops it going soggy. Bacon is fatty enough without the need for butter. Ketchup definitely. While cheese might taste nice, I think the resulting foodstuff cannot authentically be described as a bacon sarnie. It is a bacon sarnie with cheese in.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Just waiting to see what turns presently under the description 'Bacon Roll' on the east coast service to King's Cross. If the menu is to be believed it will be exquisite rashers from rare breed pig (possibly because they keep killing 'em for sarnies?)

Aaaannd...OK. Roll rather too flabby and bacon flavour best described as 'mild'. Plus not very fatty - and you need the succulence of hot grease for the correct umami.

Ah. I still think fondly of the Virgin Trains hot bacon rolls which used to be available on early morning commutes. They did some delicious smoked maple (I think?) bacon, the like of which I haven't had elsewhere and with which a cold, crumbly Danish pastry served from a trolley (if you can catch it for long enough to make it stop) cannot possibly compare. The SMB in a roll with tomato sauce was an inspiring way to start a winter's morning.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White sliced bread (eg Warburtons Toastie), real butter, smoked back bacon. Maybe some English mustard but that's the only sauce I'd contemplate. Alternatively, smoked back bacon with fried mushrooms and a fried egg in onion bread.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too would only butter one slice of the bread. Where I come from, they are bacon butties. Absolutely NO KETCHUP.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brown sauce is permissible - even desirable - on one slice of bread, with butter on the other.

Alternatively, add plenty of onions fried in butter, but no brown sauce.

The butter should run down your chin and you should be tempted to go somewhere private so you can lick the plate afterwards.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... While cheese might taste nice ...

CHEESE?????? In a bacon sarnie????? [Eek!]

Heretick! Are you sure you're not American? [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

We're getting very foodie here but bacon, brie and cranberry in a baguette, toasted so the cheese melts is excellent.

But it isn't a bacon butty by any means, just lunch in which bacon plays a part.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I too would only butter one slice of the bread. Where I come from, they are bacon butties. Absolutely NO KETCHUP.

I've really never understood the application of ketchup to anything, really. I will mix a little into the mayonnaise I have for my fries, but that is about it. In fact, it has to be a really spectacular kind of sauce for me to be interested in sauces at all.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

While we're on the subject-- what exactly is brown sauce?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Generic name for HP sauce, though there are others—I think Heinz 57 may be our equivalent, maybe with a bit of Worcestershire or A1 blended in. Pretty good stuff.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While we're on the subject-- what exactly is brown sauce?

There are makers other than HP - Daddies used to show up quite frequently in greasy-spoon type cafes - but HP is the best. It's brown and mildly spicy. Malt vinegar base, with plenty of tamarind and some spices.

You'd expect to find a bottle of brown sauce, a bottle of ketchup, and a bottle of malt vinegar alongside the salt and pepper in a greasy spoon.

It's the kind of thing you eat with chips (fries), cold meats, and cheap meats (it would go well in a sausage sandwich) rather than with better cuts of meat.

ETA: These days, I can buy HP sauce in the US, in the "exotic foreign foods" section of regular supermarkets. Also the British version of Heinz baked beans (the sauce is lighter and sweeter than US baked beans), and a small but curiously random selection of other UK foodstuffs.

[ 07. January 2016, 04:13: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK-- I kinda like HP, I use it in place of ketchup when I make my mayonnaise blend at the local Pasties-and-chips place. They have a tiny little expat grocery there, too, where Heinz Beans are proudly displayed, among a bunch of other things.

(Actually the SF Peninsula has a fair number of expat conclaves, so you find these little Brit markets scattered around.)

[ 07. January 2016, 06:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Be fair – I did say that the resulting foodstuff wasn’t a bacon sarnie anymore. Or were you so outraged you couldn’t carry on reading? [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
.... Where I come from, they are bacon butties. ......

Same here. The first Wednesday of every month is the church 'Coffee Morning' which runs from about 10.30 am to 1.00pm, so covers lunchtime. It serves Bacon Butties, Cheese Toasties, Soup and Roll, plus home-made cakes. The Bacon Butties are two rashers of back bacon, expertly fried until just turning crisp at the edges, within two slices of white bread and with an option of tomato (tinned). Cost - £1. They are very popular.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:
quote:

Be fair – I did say that the resulting foodstuff wasn’t a bacon sarnie anymore. Or were you so outraged you couldn’t carry on reading? [Biased]
Fair play - but I'm not sure it would still count as a foodstuff if one put cheese on it ... [Big Grin]

Don't get me wrong - I love cheese, but I can't understand the predilection of my adopted continent to put it on practically everything.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I can recommend a bacon sandwich with grated extra-mature cheddar, or bacon and blue cheese.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent alert] Blue cheese and a traditional Christmas cake go very well together - maybe we need a cheese+ thread since the stuff is so prevalent[/tangent]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Blue cheese drizzled with honey.
Blue cheese crumbled into a dish of nuts.
Blue cheese on a burger...

Yeah, you might be right, this might be a seperate thread.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blue cheese drizzled with honey.
Blue cheese crumbled into a dish of nuts.
Blue cheese on a burger...

Yeah, you might be right, this might be a seperate thread.

It has one. Cross posted in true ship fashion.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Correct.

And the right name for it is Bacon Butty [Smile]

Or Buttie, alternate spelling. Bacon is always in a buttie, even if the bread is not buttered. Better to dip the bread in the hot bacon fat then add bacon.

Perfect buttie bacon is back bacon, cooked so that the edges, but nit the middle, is just beginning to go crisp. Sorry America, but your little bacon strips just do not work for this. Northern Europe does the best bacon.

Heaven.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think that depends entirely on what purpose you want your bacon to serve. In which case, either one is heaven.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This makes me wonder how common bacon in the US became stripey, because all our cuisine ( except frybread ) came from some Mother Land or other. I'm guessing it has something to do with slogging things 2000 miles across a prairie in a covered wagon? Or is streaky bacon a German/ Norwegian/ whatever staple?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016