homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scrabble Clubs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Scrabble Clubs
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really keen on playing scrabble, but I don't have any friends or family who are interested. I am thinking of maybe joining a scrabble club and wondered if anyone has any experience of such? Are they generally friendly to new(ish) players? How good do you have to be to participate? Do other members get easily annoyed if you are slow or just not very good? Are members sorted into different levels of aptitude/ experience so as to enhance the general enjoyment? Did/do you enjoy the experience of playing with strangers who share your interest in the game? Anything else? Thanks in anticipation.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm really keen on playing scrabble, but I don't have any friends or family who are interested.
Just as an observation, but yeah, it does tend to be hard to find people who are into Scrabble.

My own theory is that this is because the game points to things outside of its own internal workings, eg. when you spell the word "dog", you have to think about both the word and the thing itself, both of which take you mentally away from the board in front of you.

Whereas with chess, for example, you can play a whole game without once having to think about anything besides the pieces on the board(well, you might also think about established chess strategies based on those pieces, but that's hardly a chasmic leap). I suspect that for most board-game players, this disconnection from the real world is part of the appeal, hence the lack of interest in Scrabble.

I haven't taken any polls or anything, but I do have a number of friends who are really into chess and similar games, but who recoil in something like near-horror when I suggest playing Scrabble.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a lunchtime Scrabble club at work for a while which I didn't join, but I knew the organizer and it seemed a very friendly, welcoming group. Games were usually won by one person who had an extraordinary vocabulary and went on to play in local championships, but disputes were resolved amicably. (You need to agree on what dictionary you're going to use before you start.)

As it was a small work group it wasn't sorted into levels of ability, people just came to play and had fun.

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you considered the possibilities of on-line Scrabble games? I know that St Gwladys is a regular player of on-line Scrabble - it might be worth dropping her a P.M. for details of how to get involved.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words With Monsters is a very good little app (also available for the iPad) to keep your hand in.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Granny Shrew used to play at a scrabble club at a local library. She reported it was friendly and welcoming of all.

Might be worth looking into nearby libraries or pubs as a source of a club?

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alberto
Apprentice
# 18075

- Posted      Profile for Alberto   Email Alberto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found "in real life" SCrabble clubs a bit creepy....I do enjoy Word Biz which is a very good two player app with timed games.
Posts: 2 | From: Northern 'burbs of NYC | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I joined one at the local library, but found the same person won every time because she had memorised the 'Official Scrabble Words' book. A very, very, very long tome! She had no idea what the obscure words meant, just that she could use them to be unbeatable.

Now, I play in a wonderful u3a Scrabble group, where we play for fun and friendly competition (not to mention ace coffee and biscuits), as well as playing some slow and leisurely online games with some RL friends.

It was much harder to find a group to play in when I was younger - many are retirement groups, so meet midweek. Others are for extremely keen, national contest finalist standard - would have been waaaay too high powered for me!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you find a suitable club, and opponents to challenge but not humiliate you.

I've never won a game of Scrabble, other than when playing my alternative 'Silly Scrabble' version, where double points are awarded for slang, proper nouns and abbreviations.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard about some Scrabble clubs where the atmosphere is very serious and doesn't sound at all fun. I content myself by playing the Words with Friends app against about a dozen Facebook friends. I win some and lose some.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a lifetime of playing cards together, my son and I discovered Scrabble a few years ago and we like it so much better. It's such a fine two person game and we match well because I, having lived longer, have a bigger vocabulary but can't spell as well as he can. We're learning together, just now getting to the point where we really use our high point letters to the best advantage and even think ahead defensively. I think it's a great game with more opportunities to have fun and laugh than cards. And I love cards.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say it was at least 40 years since I last played actual Scrabble with tiles and a board, but over the last wee while I've become quite addicted to online Scrabble Blast, a solo game with three rounds and unlimited letters per word, as long as they're adjacent (and it's a word!).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an App called 'Words with Friends' which I use a lot against several friends. Just like Scrabble!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
There is an App called 'Words with Friends' which I use a lot against several friends. Just like Scrabble!

That's the one I got introduced too, and I'm going to have to give it up for Lent.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'd say it was at least 40 years since I last played actual Scrabble with tiles and a board, but over the last wee while I've become quite addicted to online Scrabble Blast, a solo game with three rounds and unlimited letters per word, as long as they're adjacent (and it's a word!).

Piglet, I'm holding you responsible for wherever the last hour went. 546 and I'm just going to have one more go before I, um, probably have another.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found 'Scrabble Mattel' and 'Lexulous' to be better online, not least because 'Words with Friends' requires you to reveal your friends list and I prefer to keep mine private.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016