homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English National Anthem (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English National Anthem
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
... Dum de dum de dum de dum,
Dum de dum de dumm dumm,
Dum de dum de dum de dum,
Dum de diddle-de dum ...

Apparently if you join the Archers fan club, you get a badge with that written on it. [Big Grin]

As a Scot (albeit one married to an Englishman), I don't really feel qualified to join in this thread; if I were, I'd probably vote for Jerusalem. The allegorical words don't bother me a jot - I just see it as rather nice imagery with a jolly good tune.

I suppose the other option would be Nimrod, but that always makes me want to cry.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

As a Scot (albeit one married to an Englishman), I don't really feel qualified to join in this thread; if I were, I'd probably vote for Jerusalem. The allegorical words don't bother me a jot - I just see it as rather nice imagery with a jolly good tune.

I suppose the other option would be Nimrod, but that always makes me want to cry.

That would make it very suitable, for the performance of many of our sports teams does just that to me.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
HarryLime
Apprentice
# 18525

- Posted      Profile for HarryLime   Email HarryLime   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Jerusalem' might not make a lot of sense, but it's stunning lyrically and musically, and if I were English, it would get my vote.

As a non-English person who's spent most of my life in England, I do regret this drifting apart of Britain. We're really not very different, you know. (Ireland excepted. I've never been there, so I don't have an opinion)

Posts: 18 | From: Bristol | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that what is required is to separate the monarch's anthem from the national anthem.

In the case of Wales and Scotland, they've done that with Flower of Scotland (although as a muscian I wish they'd decide whether they want it to be in a natural or enharmonic minor key) and Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau; Northern Ireland has used The Londonderry Air for some sporting events so that just leaves England. If people want to sing then I guess it should be Jerusalem but for a tune I'd vote for Barwick Green.

So, keep God save the Queen for those occasions when the monarch is present - like our US cousins have Hail to the Chief - and use whichever national song is require otherwise.

A UK sports team will still have to use God save the Queen but surely someone could write a verse referring to the nation rather than the monarch?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After all, loads of others have words to "our" tune, so why not us as well?

[ 18. January 2016, 13:05: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
It seems to me that what is required is to separate the monarch's anthem from the national anthem.

A UK sports team will still have to use God save the Queen but surely someone could write a verse referring to the nation rather than the monarch?

That might be a bit confusing. Why not just write a new verse for Jerusalem or I Vow to Thee My Country?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

God save the U...K
Don't let us break away
Fro-om each other.

Keep Britain in one piece,
English, Scots, Welsh, in peace,
And the-e Northern Irish,
Go-od save us all.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016