homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Favorite Childhood Stories (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Favorite Childhood Stories
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The stories you loved before you could read, that parents or teachers read aloud and you couldn't hear them enough.

My 3 were
Stone Soup (i took it literally until I was old enough to read an illustrated book and then I loved it all the more)

Sambo (it's sad that the name Sambo has taken on a different connotation than what the original story even imagined; I just thought it was a really cool story about a little boy outsmarting tigers who made butter to put on pancakes)

The Pokey Little Puppy (a Little Golden Book - I never was satisfied with the ending and kept wanting to hear it over and over to the point where my mom would groan over having to read it)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The book I remember having read to me, probably just before (or maybe just after) I started school, was The Land the Ravens Found by Naomi Mitchison. I really ought to see if I can find the old copy of it next time I'm in the ancestral pile, as I can't really remember much about the plot, except that it was set in Iceland in the time of the Vikings.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raggedy Ann books. I was very sure that my dolls came alive while I was asleep or out of the house.

I also liked the Uncle Wiggly books in which each chapter left you hanging. Years later my mother admitted that she read ahead to see what was going to happen after she put me to bed.

I also really loved, "A Child's Garden of Verses." My copy had such beautiful illustrations.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too loved what was then called "Little Black Sambo" and my children loved the - let's call it politically updated version. Those tigers turning into melted butter!
But of course some of the books you love pre school you do not remember, though your parents have them engraved in their memories word for word. I can quote vast chunks of "Thomas the Tank Engine" from my son's childhood, and my parents used to assure me that my favourite used to be something which went
"Let's take a basket and go to the store
Bye bye Mummy and out the door.
We'like buy some cookies with sugar on top
Then home we'll go with a hippity hop."

I don't remember it at all, not the pictures or anything, but my parents used to quote it to me for years!

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In The Night Kitchen. By Maurice Sendak. Never got into(or even read, iirc) the more canonic Where The Wild Things are.

Also, the surrealistic YA fiction of Daniel Pinkwater, especially The Last Guru and Lizard Music. I think these days I might find the quirkiness a little forced, but I liked it as a teen.

[ 27. January 2016, 06:51: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dutch favourite was Pinkeltje. It's about a little gnome, as small as your little finger, who lives in a family's house and helps the residents without them noticing him.

Actually, I lied. It's still my favourite.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beatrix Potter The Tale of Mr Tod.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tale of Pigling Bland by Beatrix Potter. I was fascinated by pigs when I was little and (so I'm told) would re-read this every week for about 3 years until I discovered the delights of Pippi Longstocking and Jennings.

A close second is The Tomten by Astrid Lindgren: it was given to my youngest sibling who enjoyed having it read at bedtime, but I loved the illustrations as well. A beautiful book to look at and an enchanting little story for the very young.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Enormous Turnip'. Or as we used to say it, 'The Enoooormous Turnip'. Courtesy of Ladybird Books.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the Pippi Longstocking books! But my very favorites were Clement Clarke Moore's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and Hurlbut's Story of the Bible, Told for Young and Old.

I read the poem so many times, that I volunteered to recite it when I was in second grade. My teacher was amazed and told my parents how surprised she was.

The Bible stories were perfect for little kids, and I loved Mom reading to us. There were beautiful illustrations in the book, too.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ira Sleeps Over, about a child going for a first sleepover at a friend's house and the crisis over whether he should take his teddy bear along, was a Bashan family staple. The story itself is pretty funny, but the way Mom read it was really the key.

I was always aware of how words or phrases from kids books or albums would slip into our everyday use, and now that I am reading to a not-yet-speaking-in-recognizable-words 15 month old, I see it happening all over again.

(In a number of years, I can't wait to get her started on the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. We have photographic evidence that she met her great grandmother in the first few months of her life, and it is going to be fun to explain that, not only is she part of a family that actually lived like the Ingalls in generations past, but she actually met someone who, as a young woman, rode a horse to teach in a one-room school house.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:

Sambo (it's sad that the name Sambo has taken on a different connotation than what the original story even imagined; I just thought it was a really cool story about a little boy outsmarting tigers who made butter to put on pancakes)

I too just thought it was nice story about a boy and some tigers. I still think of that book if I ever hear the word "ghee" as that's where I learned it. I wonder if it could be rewritten to keep the story and leave out the bits that are unacceptable today.

I also continue to believe fervently that if tigers ever run round and round a tree they will turn into melted butter. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

[ 27. January 2016, 15:41: Message edited by: Helen-Eva ]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tale of Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter. I loved that story, and could recite it word-perfectly long before I could read the book, or so I was told.

As I think about it, Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak is every bit as scary but has similarly good ending.

Love them both....read WTWTA as a middle aged childless adult. Just because.

Edited because it had too many Ws and not enough Ts.....preview post would have been my friend...

[ 27. January 2016, 16:02: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Grandma had a copy of Ferdinand the Bull which I loved and read regularly when I visited.
My Dad read the Naughty Little Sister books and I remember Little Grey Rabbit with equal fondness.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents never read at bedtime to me (how do you read to a little deaf boy with his hearing aids out? But as an adult, I read Goodnight, Moon about 50 kazillion times to a set of 4 little kids born between 1968 and 1974. Goodnight, Nobody is my favourite line.

My own kids,little philistines, obsessed on The Bernstain Bears, and Miffy's Birthday, to the point where, if I attempted to condense the story, I was pulled up short, and made to start over

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I guess I was the only one who was totally grossed out by tigers melting into butter (and then being eaten)? I couldn't stand that story, and it had nothing to do with race.

[Projectile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never read Little Black Sambo, and I can't remember what my parents may have read me - they both died years ago.

But my earliest favourite books, other than classic fairy stories, were Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland (in that order). I was also very fond of another Victorian book called something like The Adventures of Tim Pippin, full of wonderful illustrations.

Later on I loved (and still love) E. Nesbit, particularly The House of Arden and The Story of the Amulet.

Gosh, I do sound old....

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved, and still love, Five O'clock Charlie about a retired draft horse who rings the pub bell every day at 5. Angus and the Ducks and Ferdinand were also favorites, but Carl Sandburg's Rootabaga Stories are my go to stories when I feel sad or sick or just want my mommy to read to me. I actually have a recording of her reading several of his stories aloud and will play that and revert to a happier, less stressful time...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember my parents reading to me - though I was an avid story addict. I do recall my elder brother and I (ages about 4 and 7 I suppose) having a nightly ritual whereby he would recount the rambling adventures of Robbie Squirrel and Bobbie Bunny (our imaginations at the time were much possessed by the Rupert annuals) until one or the other of us fell asleep.

I remember my early story books - the one about Hesperus the car, the one about the three kittens, the adventures of the lamb - with a clarity missing from my recollection of most of the texts I've read in the intervening 60 years.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory of early childhood is that I was read to EVERY NIGHT. I'm sure that's not true, but I like to think it is.

So many favorites:
  • a book of stories about various Indian (Native Am) tribes, each story was just about the right length for bed-time. Some were a bit scary, but not too much.
  • some (but not much) of 'A Child's Garden of Verses', though I liked the illustrations
  • 'Rumpelstiltskin' and 'Twelve Dancing Princesses' from a beautifully illustrated volume of fairy tales
  • possible favorite of the favorites 'Peter Churchmouse' and its sequel 'Gabriel Churchkitten' the b&w drawings were superb, and the vicar 'Parson Pease-Porridge' was totally over-the-top
All of these I would demand to have read to me, long after I could read them for myself.
And when my son was small, the joys of reading Maurice Sendak and Mercer Meyer to him.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winnie the Pooh, when I was quite small. Night after night after night.

"Wouldn't you like a change?" my parents asked hopefully after weeks of this including me correcting them if they got anything wrong, thereby proving I knew it by heart and didn't need to have it read yet again.

"No, I want Winnie the Pooh."

"What about this nice story instead -"

"No! I want Winnie the Pooh," I said firmly and wouldn't settle down until with a sigh of resignation they settled down to read it to me yet again.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an old house in Paris, covered in vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines Madeline, the original. I loved it because she was the smallest and she was brave.

The Little Taxi That Hurried was a Golden Book that I have been unable to find again, possibly because of the speeding(?).

Millions of Cats I think it influenced my life [Biased]

In the early 1950s there were far fewer books available. England where many books came from still had some rationing, so I have been told. Golden Books, from America were wonderful because they were relatively cheap. We got most of out early books from Playcentre, a NZ organisation run by specially trained parents and partially government funded.

Mum read to us for years and I read to my two younger brothers. I can still recite great chucks of Green Eggs and Ham, my middle brother's favourite book.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winnie the Pooh, all the many and various Thomas the Tank Engine books.

Then when I was about 7 it all clicked reading-wise for me and I motored through E Nesbit, the Swallows and Amazons books, Just William, Jennings, etc.

Standout favourites:
any Arthur Ransome, but especially Missee Lee
Nesbit - The Phoenix and the Carpet
Philippa Pearce - Minnow on the Say
Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World
any of Gwynedd Rae's Mary Plain books

Sounds like I was born in about 1948 - actually I was born in 1980!

I still read some of them.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winnie the Pooh. "The clock slid along the mantlepiece, collecting vases on the way" When I was about seven years old I thought that was the pinnacle of descriptive writing. I still think it's great.

Before I learned to read I loved Orlando the Marmalade Cat. Fantastic illustrations.

As a beginning reader I mainly remember Thomas the Tank Engine and the Mary Plain books. I can remember where they were shelved in the public library - the lowest shelves, right at the left hand end of the independent reader section. Not with the picture books for pre-readers.

My parents and my grandmother (who lived with us) were great about reading stories to me. I was always pestering for more, but adults were busy doing boring things like cooking dinner. I remember being desperate to start school so that I could learn to read books myself. At school we started with Janet and John. The teacher had a rule that you weren't allowed to turn over the page until you had read the page you were on aloud to her. On about Day 3 of school I worked out that by reading the page to the teacher and then going straight to stand at the back of the queue I could get through 2 or even 3 pages a lesson. The teacher realised quite quickly that I'd got the hang of it and I was then allowed to read a whole book without stopping. I've never stopped since!

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Winnie the Pooh, all the many and various Thomas the Tank Engine books.

Then when I was about 7 it all clicked reading-wise for me and I motored through E Nesbit, the Swallows and Amazons books, Just William, Jennings, etc.

Standout favourites:
any Arthur Ransome, but especially Missee Lee
Nesbit - The Phoenix and the Carpet
Philippa Pearce - Minnow on the Say
Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World
any of Gwynedd Rae's Mary Plain books

Sounds like I was born in about 1948 - actually I was born in 1980!

I still read some of them.

Missee Lee was the only Swallows and Amazons book that I didn't like! I still have the whole set and revist them regularly.

I loved the Mary Plain books too. And Narnia of course.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know my mother read to me - she later said that she thought that delayed my reading, because the books I was presented with to read at school did not present anything worth the effort - but I don't know what she read.
She had a full collection of "Stories to read and how to read them" by Elizabeth Clark, which she had for school, and another similar collection of folk tales by Rhoda someone, which she had for school. Wonderful stuff, but I mostly remember them from reading them myself.
At seven, I was publicly excluded from prize giving because I could not read, and went home in a strop, because I believed it was the teacher's job to get me to read, and she had not only failed in her job, but then used my short name, for friends only, to humiliate me by.
Mum then hauled me off to the bookshop, abandoning her professional "not interfering with the school's methods" detachment, stocked up with pre-readers and the Beacon scheme, which also had wonderful folktales in, and within three weeks I was reading.

"The Princess and the Goblin".

Yah Boo Sucks Miss Squires.

Years later, when required to listen to the little cherubs parroting about looking at John running, I realised that I knew what was coming over the page and that I must have been reading, just not aloud.
Really, Janet and John and Spot weren't worth the effort compared with Loki flying off to rescue Iduna. Or the goblins offering the polar bear a sausage, thinking it was a cat.

[ 28. January 2016, 13:23: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must have been read to but I have no memory of that but I remember becoming a bit of a voracious reader once I learnt how to do it - does anyone remember a series of books about twins? I remember The Philippino Twins and the disastrous harvest but can't recall any other titles.

Pooh was a favourite, still is, and my favourite character has to be Eeyore - he's a star! He sits here on a bookshelf just near me and is consulted about all sorts of things!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

quote:
does anyone remember a series of books about twins?
Yes!!! Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't thought about that series for years. The one I remember best was The Eskimo Twins. The Eskimo people were very worried - seals and humans only ever have one baby at a time - and there was some concern about what the Spirits thought about their mother having twins. I don't remember anything else about the plot, but it's a long time ago……….

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a long series (from the same stable that offered the Nancy Drew series) about the Bobbsey Twins. They were four siblings, two sets of fraternal twins: Bert and Nan, and Flossie and Freddy. There must have been parents but they were practically invisible; the twins solved crimes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very educational those twins books. Historical twins - Spartans and so on - and geographical twins, such as those Eskimo. But because they were by different authors, they weren't filed in the same place on the library shelves, so getting to read them was a random thing.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the Bobbsey Twins, particularly the book where they visited England and one of the twins thought their uncle was a terrible driver because he drove on the left forcing the other drivers to move to the left to avoid him.

I don't remember reading the series about twins from other countries, but I do remember a series called My Home In... featuring children in different countries. I though they were fascinating, especially one set somewhere in Africa.

Does anyone remember Friday's Tunnel or February's Road by John Verney? I had them both out as library books. After reading about February digging up some Roman treasure I decided to try it myself, I started digging in the garden but was bitterly disappointed when my mother told me the Romans never came to New Zealand. It started me on a quest for New Zealand books or even books set in New Zealand, a fairly hopeless task then. Even later, reading adult books NZ only seemed to be mentioned when the author wanted to send a character far away, or mention distant relations.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Definitely remember John Verney, whom I came across in a magazine called Elizabethan - I bought copies of those two books recently to reread!
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first book where I knew what was going to happen next before I read it was Jemima Puddleduck by Beatrix Potter. "No! Don't go off with Mr Fox! He wants to eat your babies!"
It was the only Beatrix Potter book I owned, though I was aware of others, and read several.
And pretty soon after that I was in the glorious territory of Wind in the Willows and Pooh.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have vague memories of my sister's reading our two Dr Seuss books to me: I liked "Green Eggs and Ham", but was creeped out by Yertle the Turtle's illustrations. Turtles all the way down! My very favorite book was "Bread and Jam for Frances." More than any other, this was the book that got me reading on my own, instead of waiting to be read to.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were a wild bunch-- my mom used to read us "No Fighting No Biting" about a couple of quarreling alligators to try and induce us to stop fighting amongst ourselves.

I enjoyed Are you my Mother? the Madeline books when I was younger, and of course Nancy Drew and Harriet the Spy when I began reading myself.

But my favorite (or at least more vivid) are the books I read my kids:
Board books including Good Night Gorilla, Go Dogs Go!, and all the Sandra Boynton books. Quickly followed by anything by Maurice Sendak, especially Where the Wild Things Are. Chronicles of Narnia, of course.

[ 30. January 2016, 03:40: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks] I don't recall ANYBODY ever reading to me! My home was not a house that had books.

Of course, I quickly compensated for this as soon as I discovered the school library. Fie on lending limits!

I used to save my video game money to buy science fiction. My parents must have thought they'd birthed an alien.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Alison Uttley's Little Grey Rabbit books - Beatrix Potter was too dark for me - and Wind in the Willows and Winnie the Pooh; also the Just So Stories and the Jungle Books. And poetry, lots of poetry. A Puffin Book of Verse was the favourite. *makes sure she knows where these books are on the shelves for revisiting later today*

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The book I can remember from early childhood was one called Moomin. It was printed on card pages, rather than paper ones. That was because on each page, there was a hole that you went through to get to the next page. The text and the picture were all mixed up together, so that the story led you to the hole.

Has anyone else ever heard of it?

As I got a bit older, my father used to read to me every evening, usually from Conan Doyle or John Buchan.

For reading myself, I never reckoned much to the Swallows and Amazons. Thinking back, I think they struck me as about children the way adults like to imagine we were. I also didn't reckon much to Enid Blyton. It was too improbable to think children would be solving crimes, having unbelievable adventures etc. I much preferred the Just William books. And non-fiction.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I loved the Famous Five, mostly because I wanted to be George! And they went camping, and stayed in houses with proper secret passages and things.

Another story I adored - mum scoured every bookshop in Manchester to find it, because she'd adored it too - was Marigold in Godmother's House. You're never quite sure whether the magic is in the child's mind, or actually happening, and there are lovely details like the maid's skirts filling the narrow corridor as she leads Marigold to her bedroom. And by the same author, Joyce Lankester Brisley, the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories. I desperately wanted her attic bedroom!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The prices on Marigold are astonishing. I have a huge woodland mural to put in my downstairs loo, in case the young ones come to stay, chiefly because of that book. But it was from the library, so we never had a copy.

We've given Milly Molly Mandy to the next two generations down - for one thing, it gives an idea of what my mother's village life was like. I definitely had that as an earlier read.

[ 30. January 2016, 15:57: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being read to by my mother, and now reading to my kids, are two of the great joys of my life. There are too many books to enumerate that have been dear friends--but I can't not mention the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. My mother read us the whole series of those, and the Henry Huggins books, too--and now I've read them all to each one of my kids--and they simply never get old. Certain passages are as funny to me now as they were when I was seven--some more so.
Posts: 499 | From: 11 blocks west | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a voracious reader once I learnt to read at 5 years old, so have read a lot of those mentioned. When I was younger and being read to some of my favourites were:

'Little Black Sambo'.I also just saw him as a clever boy who outsmarted tigers and got to eat a lot of pancakes.

'Mrs Pepperpot's Busy Day' about an old woman who sometimes shrunk, which complicated her life. There was a whole series, but my family only had this one.

'Miss Flora Mclimsey's Birthday' about a doll who came alive (also one from a series that we only had one of)

'Would you rather be a Bullfrog?' by Dr. Seuss and also 'Yertle the Turtle', 'The Sneetches' and another story about a pair of living pants/trousers.

The Aboriginal Dreamtime stories 'Tiddalik' about a frog who drunk all the water, 'How the Birds Got their Colours' and best of all 'Turrumulli the Giant Quinkin' about a giant, bad spirit who tries to eat some children.

I also liked the church mice series, particularly 'The Church Mice at Bay' where the mice get rid of a mice-hating hippy vicar.

Finally, before the list gets too long, I loved 'Whistle up the Chimney' and its sequel 'An Eye Full of Soot' by Nan Hunt. These are about Mrs Millie Mack who has trains that come through her fireplace due to burning some old train louvres or some other train part. In the second book her cat accidentally falls onto a train and goes on a fantastic journey, taking many trains to find his way home.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mili, Nan Hunt only passed away last October at the great age of 97. She also wrote under the name of N.L.Ray, and was prolific for about 40 years, being first published in her early 40's.

My first story memories are of my father telling us the story of Pedro the Fisherman while lying in the double bed with mum and him on Sunday mornings. My grandfather started my interest in trains so Thomas the Tank Engine in the original was part of my young life as well.

I was an early reader, so read many of those books upthread, and had progressed to The Hobbit by the time I reached third grade. Dr Dolittle was a favourite, as were the classic stories by E Nesbit and Elizabeth Enright. Australian writers such as Colin Thiele, Ivan Southall and Patricia Wrightson were just achieving fame, and brought much enjoyment.

I exhausted the children's section of the local public library by the early years of high school, and was allowed to move onto the adult collection, providing I didn't try to borrow anything too adult.

All of this led to my later work as a teacher-librarian, armed with a major in children's literature. Now, I hope to encourage the same love of reading in my grandchildren.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Box of Delights" by John Masefield.

Mind you, this is partly because there is a gory passage early on which made my mother wince. As a result I read it out to her many times. Many, many times....

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite book to be read to from was The Bumper Book, a wonderful anthology of prose and poetry featuring such classics as "The Owl and the Pussy Cat", "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat", "Wynken, Blynken and Nod", and so many others. All with wonderful illustrations.

I believe The Bumper Book is still in print. Vintage copies can be found now and then on ebay.

I don't remember if "The Wee Kitten Who Sucked Her Thumb" and "The Tugboat that Lost its Temper" were included or were in other anthologies, but I remember them quite well too.

And, of course, "The Little Engine That Could."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had a thick green book called The Children's Treasury, which had a collection of works by a number of proper authors - it had A A Milne's autograph in it (some relatives lived near Hartfield by 500 acre wood* and the Pooh Sticks bridge). At some point my mother, without asking, lent it to a cousin, from whom it never returned as that family passed it on elsewhere. When I was teaching, I wanted it back, because some of the stories would have been useful, and I eventually found another copy - minus, of course, the autograph.
The stories introduced me to other things as well, as characters would refer to other authors.

*Oh yes it is.

[ 01. February 2016, 21:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother would read to me the sort of books she liked, such as Mrs Pepperpot and Milly Molly Mandy. My father would recite nonsense poetry, Hilair Belloc's Cautionary Tales and the Just so Stories. The first books I remember reading for myself (that weren't learning to read books) were the Narnia books and the Waterbabies.

Did anyone ever read a book called, I think,The House with Tall Chimneys? All I remember about it was that there was a scene where the topiary garden comes to life! Lovely stuff, I would enjoy reading it again if I could find it.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf stories - those were read to us at school when I was five. I could read too, but those were read to us in assembly. I don't remember stories being read to me when I couldn't read.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot remember the title of my favourite childhood book - give me a break, I learnt to read when I was three, so we are going back a very long way. But I do remember it was the story of a 'flag' waving, except it turned out not to be a flag at all:

'What can it be? Oh me, oh my, it's Molly's washing, out to dry!'.

Strange how I can remember those words verbatim well over 50 years later. Which just shows the power of repetitive phrases in literature. I remember being similarly fascinated with the words of hymns and liturgy in my BCP prayer/hymn book, only a couple of years later.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Millions of Cats I think it influenced my life [Biased]

I loved that also. My favorite page had no text, just pictures. They all showed a kitten drinking milk. The first showed a pitifully thin kitten; in the next picture he was a little plumper; still more so in the third picture. The last picture showed a sleek, well-fed, happy kitten.

I don't recall any other book that showed such a clear process of improvement. I think that's why I liked it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016