homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Overheard at the confessional

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Overheard at the confessional
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As in, "I came home from church yesterday and ate some good French Brie with lots of Marmite on it. I loved it". Any other enjoyable sins and recommended penances?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was church the sin, and marmite the penance? [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I stated it the wrong way round. Marmite brings joy to my heart and stomach, but church was the penance this week. We're going through an excruciatingly bad music phase. Self flagellation would be benign by comparison.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely marmite is the dirty bit left over after they've removed the cleaner parts of the sewage of Hell?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Surely marmite is the dirty bit left over after they've removed the cleaner parts of the sewage of Hell?

Beware LeRoc - you insult the Sacred Food of Our People.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Beware LeRoc - you insult the Sacred Food of Our People.

Well, the sacred food of half of them anyway ... [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do the Lesser Mortals eat - Bovril? [Eek!]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bovril is the One True God, and Marmite is not fit to tie the thongs of its sandals. [Two face]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bo Vril = life force of the ox. So I'm not seeing it in sandals. Boots, definitely boots.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't bother with Bovril. Nobody spreads Bovril on their crumpets. Besides, Bovril is an anagram of Evil.

(Well it is if you lose a couple of letters and change the O to an E.)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ariel: Besides, Bovril is an anagram of Evil.

(Well it is if you lose a couple of letters and change the O to an E.)

Close enough for me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Bovril is the One True God, and Marmite is not fit to tie the thongs of its sandals. [Two face]

I fear a second Great Schism, centred on Burton-on-Trent.

[ 17. February 2016, 07:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Typical. You're forgetting the radical reformation - the AnaBranstonists.

("Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors, and there's all the pickle").

[ 17. February 2016, 07:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Of course, the God of the OT was very much a marmalade man...I JAM THAT I JAM.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know. In his commentary on Obadaiah 1:17, Matthew Henry refers more generically to
quote:
the salvation and holiness of the gospel, its spread, and the conversion of the Gentiles
without saying which spread he had in mind.

[ 17. February 2016, 08:29: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Behold.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hmm, so my choice comes down to:
  1. Believe that marmite is the spread of Jesus. Eat this, and go to Heaven.
  2. Refuse to eat marmite, and burn forever in Hell.
Pascal's wager is rather easy for me here.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Do nutell'others as they do nutella you.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
the salvation and holiness of the gospel, its spread, and the conversion of the Gentiles
Tiptree Sweet Tip Raspberry - jam from God's own fruit-garden. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Tiptree Sweet Tip Raspberry - jam from God's own fruit-garden. [Big Grin]
Traitor! Pooh Bear must be raging that you haven't proposed 'hunny'! [Two face]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The only bears with a starring role in the Bible that I recollect are the two who chomped their way through the children mocking Elisha. It says they were she bears so it is likely that Pooh is a great-great- grandcub of these formidable ladies. I wouldn't get too close as he probably sees the hunny as more of a condiment...
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am surprised that there is no reference in this thread to the deity Vegemite.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

That's because we all know what happened to Cain's vegetable-only offering.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Firenze: The only bears with a starring role in the Bible that I recollect are the two who chomped their way through the children mocking Elisha.
Apparently, there are eight Bible verses about bears. (And a *lot* about bearing children.)

[ 17. February 2016, 14:08: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nine, including Elisha

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The only bears with a starring role in the Bible that I recollect are the two who chomped their way through the children mocking Elisha. It says they were she bears so it is likely that Pooh is a great-great- grandcub of these formidable ladies. I wouldn't get too close as he probably sees the hunny as more of a condiment...

I always thought Pooh had a shifty look about him [Big Grin]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, this has wandered from the confessional to Marmite to Bible verses about bears and on to Winnie the Pooh. (Paddington, btw, had no time for Marmite sandwiches. It was marmalade or nothing.)

And on that note, I think we're done here, so -

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!

Ariel
Heaven Host

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016