homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fanfiction: Any writers here?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fanfiction: Any writers here?
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'll admit it. I write fanfiction. I post it on the internet.

And I'm wondering, am I alone on the ship, or are there other fannish type people here?

What fandoms do you write in? Where do you post it? What's your opinion of fanfiction.net vs AO3? Or maybe you use Tumblr or Livejournal.

Do you create other types of fanwork? Fanart or fanvids?

I write mostly in Starsky and Hutch, but I have other fandoms as well. I started my posting on fanfiction.net, but just recently finished putting all my stuff on AO3 (as silver_chipmunk).

Anyone else want to comment?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, long ago and far away, I wrote a few X-File pieces. The first one was an X-files take on The Song of Solomon (King James version). Then I wrote a short one on the episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose". Finally my muse pooped out writing a long one on events in season 7. No more since then. I'm crap at thinking up plots, hence Biblical and episodic frameworks of my little pieces.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere buried in my stash of spiral bound notebooks there is an episode of the A-Team I wrote when I was about 19. Mean thugs lay siege to a preschool,and naturally Murdock gets smitten with a lovely young teacher's aid... [Axe murder]

I read it to a few friends, and I remember being gratified that they laughed at a few bantery bits between B.A. and Murdock.

I quite often used to imagine episodes of tv shows, and thought that made me crazy-- when I found out fanfic was a thing, I was stunned that so many people were as nuts as me.

[ 24. February 2016, 04:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager I wrote a Narnia novel. It featured a feisty princess who could shin up ropes to board a ship. The story was based on some islands which are mentioned in the original books, but never visited. I remember thinking that Lewis seemed to used up most of the available mythological/fantasy/fairy ideas already.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Well, long ago and far away, I wrote a few X-File pieces. The first one was an X-files take on The Song of Solomon (King James version). Then I wrote a short one on the episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose". Finally my muse pooped out writing a long one on events in season 7. No more since then. I'm crap at thinking up plots, hence Biblical and episodic frameworks of my little pieces.

Actually I did finish that last story. But no more since.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a pity, Lyda*Rose. An X-files take on the Song of Solomon sounds pretty interesting.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once wrote a brief bit of fan fiction about Artemis Fowl and published it on the net but a lot of people didn't know about Artie so it was a bit of a waste of space.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a web site, somewhere, where you can post fanfic (or I believe a link to fanfic) sorted by source subject. I only know this because I was googling The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope, and was startled to discover that someone is writing fanfic about it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Somewhere buried in my stash of spiral bound notebooks there is an episode of the A-Team I wrote when I was about 19.

Substitute "Blake's Seven" for "A-Team" and that was me.

I have on a couple of occasions actually dreamt two episodes of Doctor Who. That would be about 10 years ago. In which I was a companion. The odd thing is that I can't now remember what the Doctor looked like, but that's dreams for you: you "know" the person is the Doctor and that's good enough.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Brenda Clough:
quote:
There is a web site, somewhere, where you can post fanfic (or I believe a link to fanfic) sorted by source subject. I only know this because I was googling The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope, and was startled to discover that someone is writing fanfic about it.

I love that idea! You know what would make good fanfic? A story based on his mother's sojourn in America, perhaps from the POV of an American companion she hired.

[ 25. February 2016, 17:13: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Brenda Clough: There is a web site, somewhere, where you can post fanfic (or I believe a link to fanfic) sorted by source subject.
I thought there were plenty of those?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could not say -- that's not part of the web I know well. I was startled, however, to learn that there were readers of Trollope who were so moved by Mr. Breghert's plight (jilted by aristocratic but broke Georgiana) that they wrote a fanfic hooking him up with Mme. Melmotte.

I will also point out that fanfics can grow and flourish to become independent works of great power. Lois Bujold began her Vorkosigan series as a Star Trek fanfic.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Lois Bujold began her Vorkosigan series as a Star Trek fanfic.

Apparently, this is only true in the weakest possible sense. See the comments from the author herself here.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a website called archiveofourown,org, which is a rather extensive collection of fanfic. It is well indexed and easy to navigate. Some of the material is plain vanilla, some rather exotic, and some quite 'slash.'

i've contributed to it in the past, but not recently. If you are curious, there is a short of mine, dealing with an incident sometime after 'Busman's Honeymoon' in Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey canon. The title is 'The Moths and the Flames,' which wasn't exactly original, but accurate.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Somewhere buried in my stash of spiral bound notebooks there is an episode of the A-Team I wrote when I was about 19.

Substitute "Blake's Seven" for "A-Team" and that was me.

I have on a couple of occasions actually dreamt two episodes of Doctor Who. That would be about 10 years ago. In which I was a companion. The odd thing is that I can't now remember what the Doctor looked like, but that's dreams for you: you "know" the person is the Doctor and that's good enough.

This seems to be my process-- I daydream the fanfic, then when I actually start writing I keep pretty much the same premise and "actors", but change the characters completely so that they are mine.

So, I'm not gonna lie and say I never came up with crushy fangirl Dr. 11 stories, but I eventually tried to morph them into a story of my own. Since I know jack shit about scifi lit, and am certain to tropifiy the life out of it, the world will never see that mess. but some of it is too good to throw away. So, I have been toying around with the idea of throwing bits of that story into a screenplay one of the characters in my current story is writing. Badly.
Maybe someday the world will meet Captain Esperanza Margarita Eulalia Portrero de Portola. In some small way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And, uh, I have imagned but not yet dared to commit to paper some rather slashy but funny episodes of the HBO series "Hung," which was about a high school coach who picks up work as a "woman's orgasmic living consultant" (prostitute) . It was a funny show, but of course less about women buying pleasure than it was about guys getting paid to bang hot rich women. Naturally I wanted to explore the former premise.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Brenda Clough:

The two main sites for posting fanfiction are fanfiction.net, and archiveofourown.org.

fanfiction.net limits the rating of it's stories to teen. Archiveofourown.org goes up to explicit.

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another fan of Blake's Seven, Doctor Who and The A-Team, so I like the idea of fan fiction in those worlds.

My fan-stories are alternative histories. I wrote about a rebellion in Ireland which never happened (imagining what might have happened if King William was killed rather than injured by a cannon-ball on the day before the Battle of the Boyne). I'm writing about an 18th-century revolution in the French colony of Saint-Domingue which is loosely inspired by Frank Herbert's Dune. There's also a story set in ancient Britain, about the Iceni being warned about the Roman invasion many years before it happened and attempting to unite the Celtic tribes.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a link in my signature if anyone is interested (my stories are After Action Reports - AARs using the strategy games Empire Total War and Rome II). I don't know whether people here consider AARs to be a form of fan fiction or not.

(Sorry for double-posting; I was checking with a Host whether it would be okay to mention this.)

[ 26. February 2016, 08:15: Message edited by: Alwyn ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Gasp) is that writing up the action after an RPG?? I would have loved that,!

I used to record our games on a mini cassette.

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

Yes, AARs can involve writing up the action after an RPG (or any game). If you search online for 'Skyrim AAR A Long Way from Home', for example, you'll (hopefully) find a great example of an RPG-based AAR (I'm not the author). (If that search doesn't work, use the second link in my sig, then click on 'After Action Reports', 'Non-TW AARs' and 'A Long Way from Home'.)

[ 27. February 2016, 06:57: Message edited by: Alwyn ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Gasp) is that writing up the action after an RPG?? I would have loved that,!

Not quite the same but I found that computer games involving building my own cities used to lead to a lot of food for creative thought, and an unfinished novella about how my hero had offended Caesar enough to be banished to a dismal, demoralized little outpost on the Welsh borders, which he then turned into a thriving city and the Gateway to the West.
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a kid, I wrote fan fiction for Swallows and Amazons - but at the age of 12 I'd heard of plagiarism, so I took Nancy and Peggy Blackett, changed their last name to Penrose, and transported them to 18thC Cornwall, where I gave them a pirate ship! They had an uncle they never saw up in London, like Charlie in Charlie's Angels, who sent them news of when treasure ships were sailing, and the plots came from all the old swashbuckling movies I was watching at the time.

The first fan-fic anyone else ever read were some Star Trek short stories. My main character was a civilian engineer friend of Scottie's, and I pinched the plots from a short lived TV series about a chap who bought a plane after the Second World War to start an air freight business. A series which was so obscure even I can't remember the name of it now! I also wrote a Deep Space Nine story, featuring O'Brien and Keiko and a deaf Andorian kid in her school, before I had actually seen an episode of DS9!
I doubt very much if any of those Excalibur fanzines still exist.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not fair!

I want a pirate ship too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I pinched the plots from a short lived TV series about a chap who bought a plane after the Second World War to start an air freight business. A series which was so obscure even I can't remember the name of it now!

Was that Garry Halliday, flying out of Lydd on the Romney Marsh, with the person who played Bergerac's ex-father-in-law as co-pilot, and some mysterious fat chap called The Voice as his opponent?

[ 27. February 2016, 19:02: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that series was called AIRLINE and starred Roy Marsden...

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

I like the sound of Ariel's tale of a Roman being sent to a distant, demoralized outpost and turning it around. I wonder if you'll ever finish it - if you do, I hope you'll publish it somewhere and let me know where.

An 18th-century story based on Swallows and Amazons with pirates sounds like a lot of fun. (I'm enjoyed Swallows and Amazons and I'm a Deep Space Nine fan too, although I didn't see AIRLINE.)

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once blogged a novella about Mary Bennett because I always felt sorry for her in P&P. I just needed to satisfy my need to have her grow-up a little and help her get over being so obviously disliked by everyone in her family.

I somehow felt this was "okay," because I didn't change anything from the book and her contact with the other characters was minimal -- most of it took place after her sisters had married and left home. I don't like the P&P spinoffs that take the characters too far from their creators original ideas.

Not sure this would be called fan-fiction or fan-disagreement. I love Jane Austen but she could be pretty hard on the characters she didn't like. Devoted mothers were really in for it.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I like that idea.

I had a recurring dream in young adulthood about finding about seven or eight volumes of the Narnia series I had never seen before int he library, and as I recall one of them dealt with Susan and her three or four children, who find Narnia along with her.

I also have a beef with Stephen King about demonizing crows in The Stand so sometimes I daydream about the crows liberating themselves from Flagg's legacy and reclaiming their true calling as protectors of the new post- Captain Tripps world.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are both great ideas, Kelly!

Ever since I heard about how smart crows were and what long memories they have, I make sure they get something to eat while my son is putting out that special "colorful songbird," seed -- snooty stuff.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Corvids are songbirds, anyway. [Big Grin]

And black is a color...

[ 28. February 2016, 16:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S and Meerkat, thank you! Airline was the series I shamelessly pinched plots from! Apart from the one about the Vulcan child stowaway, who had witnessed a murder. I got that one from Witness, of course!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

This is great, everyone. I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's thoughts and writing!

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016