homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Everybody Please Read! Board Down Time

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Everybody Please Read! Board Down Time
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The boards will go down on Friday evening (3 July 2015). They will be back on Monday morning (6 July 2015).

The Crew will throw a wild party … er no. The Admins will scrape off the barnacles and have a bit of a tidy up. The Ship will look exactly the same on Monday morning. The Admins are just hitting the engine with a hammer rather than doing a full refit and paint job.

Thank you for your attention.

Tubbs
On behalf of the Admins

[ 02. July 2015, 13:38: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
The Admins will scrape off the barnacles and have a bit of a tidy up.

So that's what you call loyal Shipmates when our backs are turned?

Thanks for the heads-up - saves us all ringing our Service Providers, at least. Good luck with the work.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...you mean I can't spend my weekend hitting refresh?

Dear God.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Dear God.

No, you'll have to do something else. Do you like tennis?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, there's nothing stopping you from hitting refresh if you want to. If you're on the boards you'll just get the maintenance message. But, if that rocks your boat don't let us stop you from doing that.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And we are in no way suggesting that there is a secret message or easter egg hidden in the so-called "maintenance message" that might be revealed if you refresh enough times or look at it at exactly the right moment over the weekend.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're checking out Rook's statement, these may help [Big Grin]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Although, there's nothing stopping you from hitting refresh if you want to. If you're on the boards you'll just get the maintenance message. But, if that rocks your boat don't let us stop you from doing that.

It still might be more productive than hitting "Sync" on iTunes with my phone plugged in. #BloodyAppleMusic

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On "Independence" day? Part of a plot to take back the colonies?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely it's on the feast of the consecration of St Martin of Tours. What is this "Independence" day of which you speak? What colonies are these?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Surely it's on the feast of the consecration of St Martin of Tours. What is this "Independence" day of which you speak? What colonies are these?

Yes, it is difficult to keep track of all the places Mother England has tried to nurture. And on what day a particular one has declared her room "off-limits" to her caring parent. But I'm talking about the one to the West that the Italian boy Chris went on about. Just north of Mexico... What is it called again? Oh yes!
South Canada.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dear God.

You, too?

I guess the word " independence " really does figure in.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Dear God.

No, you'll have to do something else. Do you like tennis?

Tubbs

Some of us will be attending great big horking parades, and consuming the sacramental hot dog and potato salad.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Vidi Aquam
Apprentice
# 18433

- Posted      Profile for Vidi Aquam   Email Vidi Aquam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feel free to get your ship on all weekend long:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forum.ship-of-fools.com

Posts: 33 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

What the hell happened in 2005?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: What the hell happened in 2005?
Church of Fools?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ahhhh! You're right.

[ 02. July 2015, 21:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No I'm sorry I just checked, CoF was in 2004. I don't know why webarchive crawled the Ship a lot in July 2005.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Some of us will be attending great big horking parades, and consuming the sacramental hot dog and potato salad.

Sacrilege! Outrage! Independence Day calls for red, white, and blue foods -- lobster! Strawberries! Blueberries! Whipped cream!

And, OK, potato salad.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

How is a hot dog:
A. Not red.
B. Not sacramental? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

If we agree on the redemptive nature of potato salad, however, I suppose we can shake hands.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How is a hot dog:
A. Not red.

If we agree on the redemptive nature of potato salad, however, I suppose we can shake hands.

I like being sacramentally diverse and eating Hebrew National dogs.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. [Frown]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

What, are you a Nathan's fan? That is our house favorite.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that was a comment to the OP, not the Hebrew National post. Hebrew national hotdogs are great. After all, they "have to answer to a Higher Authority". [Biased]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How is a hot dog:
A. Not red.

Now I'm seriously contemplating getting a pack of Morningstar Farms veggie dogs. We've recently acquired a bottle of ketchup (something we normally have no use for), maybe that's a sign...

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll miss the ship, but look forward to the spanking clean decks on Monday.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
No I'm sorry I just checked, CoF was in 2004. I don't know why webarchive crawled the Ship a lot in July 2005.

From the post dates, it looks to have saved the same "board home" from March 2005, multiple times.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I'll miss the ship, but look forward to the spanking clean decks on Monday.

Don't get your hopes up too much - most of the changes and maintenance that needs to be done is behind the scenes, in dark and forgotten recesses where only Admins may tread, If they are careful and go in pairs.

To use the nautical metaphor, most passengers never even think about the bilge pump, never mind how it gets repaired (and what conditions are like down there when it needs repairing!)...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I'll look forward to the spanking on Monday.

We don't need to know....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dear God.

No, you can spend your Friday evening (European time) hitting refresh to see if the boards are still up [Two face]

See you on the other side!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a happy and holy weekend! [Snigger]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad I dropped in when I did - I'll go and have a snuffle round All Saints, and then try and remember not to try and log into the Ship for the rest of the weekend ...

Good timing though, IMHO - I've got a filthy cold, and I don't think my brain's working all that well at the moment. See you on Monday.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last minute catchup before the closure!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Have a great weekend!

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

f5 f5 f5 f5... oh.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So. Have I missed anything?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the ship down over the weekend, I had to do other things.

These other activities may be related to my having broken my toe on Saturday. [Waterworks] [Mad]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohhh, what a lovely clean bottom she has! [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now!

It'll soon get dirty again, anyway.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed you as I lay sick in what passes for heat hear.

Is there a way to make a donation for chocolate and or coolers for those who labored over the weekend?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

Is there a way to make a donation for chocolate and or coolers for those who labored over the weekend?

As it so happens....
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The Crew will throw a wild party … er no. The Admins will scrape off the barnacles and have a bit of a tidy up.
Tubbs
On behalf of the Admins

Ha! Missed me!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Ohhh, what a lovely clean bottom she has! [Smile]

Well, it looks like one Shipmate rented Fifty Shades of Grey over the weekend.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:

The Crew will throw a wild party … er no. The Admins will scrape off the barnacles and have a bit of a tidy up.
Tubbs
On behalf of the Admins

Ha! Missed me!
Hope, polished round you [Razz]

Tubbs

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

You're supposed to polish carbuncles, not barnacles.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Only if you're the Prince of Wales.
orfeo

# 13878

I knew the fact that word has two meanings would cause trouble. I went ahead with the quip anyway.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016