homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All the content on the site is put into a column of fixed width??

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: All the content on the site is put into a column of fixed width??
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't specific to the chatroom, it happens on Mystery Worshipper too. As a consequence, if you use a very big screen, most of the space is wasted (with the content squished into the left-hand side of the screen) and if you are using a very small screen (eg a phone) you have to scrool to see everything.

A cursory glance at the source HTML suggests this is something to do with a lot of elements having explicit widths set to '960' (ie 960px), rather than using relative widths in CSS (like 67%). The table width attribute is deprecated in HTML5 (and really this should use something like flexbox anyway; tables are for tabular data, not layout).

The following "Java-Script" seems to help a bit, at least on the Chatroom page -

code:
marginPercent = 3;

Array.prototype.forEach.call(document.querySelectorAll('[width="960"]'), function(element) {
element.removeAttribute('width');
element.style.width = '100%';
});
document.querySelector('body').style.marginLeft = marginPercent + "%";
document.querySelector('table').style.width = (100 - marginPercent) + "%";

But a similar change from absolute widths to relative widths would have to be made to subcolumns, especially on the front page where the columns all also have magic widths.

[ 01. September 2015, 19:15: Message edited by: scuffleball ]

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite.

My long-standing aesthetic horror at the fixed-width formatting has over the years slowly eroded my sanity such that I am now a craven caricature of my former self who seeks mostly to inflict metaphysical suffering on others to make them share in my own personal hell.

Flee! Flee, while you can! Before you too are reduced to only run-on sentences and badly-misjudged inside jokes.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook--

Oh, so *that* was the cause! [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used a tampermonkey (greasemonkey) script called 'flex_layout'. Google it if you're interested. I just tested it against the Ship's main page and it works there too.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I googled both tampermonkey flex_layout and greasemonkey flex_layout, the only results were this page.

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say from my vast experience of this kind of stuff [Biased] that the internet is out to get you Scuffleball.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps just widen the googling to just "tampermonkey", which seemed quite effective.

Or even easier: just give in. Give in to the decade-old formatting that was already future-doomed the day it appeared and mired in misconceptions about the extrapolation of paper to screens as mediums. Give into a metaphorical straightjacket that They assure you is For The Best™ even as you're sure that no, actually, you like things better your own way, and hey I don't want to have my perceptions limited, and no I don't need electroconvulsive therapy to readjust my thinking. Because you're not crazy, yet, but fighting the crazy is how crazy reproduces in unwilling hosts. Just fake fitting in, and mumbling that things are fine, so that nobody notices that You're Not Supposed To Be Here - and thereby makes it so that you end up needing to be here after all.

Think of it as time travel! Except, instead of zipping around visiting various excitingly different eras you get to go back through a portal in your screen to visit 2005 over and over and over. Which is actually kind of nice, considering how many of the people here have opinions largely un-evolved past 1805.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1805 AD, BC/BCE, Stardate,...or that many billions of years ago? [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK:
quote:
Think of it as time travel! Except, instead of zipping around visiting various excitingly different eras you get to go back through a portal in your screen to visit 2005 over and over and over. Which is actually kind of nice, considering how many of the people here have opinions largely un-evolved past 1805.
1805? That recent?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is perhaps only mildly related, but it's a lovely error message I doubt many people have seen on Ship. For your pleasure, then:

quote:
We cannot post because the subject you entered contained at least one word that is 30 characters long. Run-on words just aren't allowed. Neither is German. Use your back button, correct the problem and try again.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if there might ever be a plan to have an Ship of Fools app. I have no idea at all whatsoever even slightly about whether this is practicable, whether it would be expensive, or whether it would be a technical nightmare, I'm just interested.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
luvanddaisies - I'm sure it isn't technically impossible, but what would you gain from a SoF app? I'd think a better option might be a mobile ready version of the website/forum, but that might involve completely rewriting the whole thing in HTML5.

--------------------
arse

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
luvanddaisies - I'm sure it isn't technically impossible, but what would you gain from a SoF app? I'd think a better option might be a mobile ready version of the website/forum, but that might involve completely rewriting the whole thing in HTML5.

Making the website mobile enabled would, if I've understood it correctly, involve a complete redo. If the software is ever upgraded, then hopefully that would be one of the features.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Making the website mobile enabled would, if I've understood it correctly, involve a complete redo. If the software is ever upgraded, then hopefully that would be one of the features.

Tubbs

That's correct, the whole thing would need to be rewritten. It'd no doubt be easier to start again rather than try to upgrade what is already there.

It might be possible to write different versions of the page(s) to appear on different sizes of screen, but a) that'd need some extensive fiddling with the CSS and b) that probably isn't worth doing until the whole thing is upgraded.

Either way, you'd probably either need to pay quite a lot to have someone rewrite it all, buy something you like off the shelf or have volunteers spend a lot of time working out how to do it and test it over an extended period.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tubbs: If the software is ever upgraded
It won't be.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Tubbs: If the software is ever upgraded
It won't be.
[Waterworks]

It might ... I'll add it my bucket list somewhere in between hot date with actor hottie of my choice and Doctor Who companion. [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that case, Tubbs, we will look for the new razzle-dazzle Ship software after we see you with the Doctor on BBC America.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
In that case, Tubbs, we will look for the new razzle-dazzle Ship software after we see you with the Doctor on BBC America.

It'll be difficult to know which one of us will be more surprised ...! [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016