homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lack of precision in instructions

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lack of precision in instructions
Aristotle's Child
Apprentice
# 18498

- Posted      Profile for Aristotle's Child   Email Aristotle's Child   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From DELETED regarding my comment in an e-mail to him.

My observation: “The "Practice thread in The Stix" is not logically organized with makes interpretation very difficult.”

From DELETED: “It's not supposed to be organised. It's not there for discussion. All you need to do is post on there and practice using the various features available.

STIX contains a section titled UBB Practice Thread (Landlubber). That was the feature I was using.

But evidently that guidance has now been contradicted by “Rook”. Perhaps he and DELETED should work this out between themselves, and develop clear guidance. Because of my background and training I tend to use the plain meaning of words and do not try to read into something into a message that clearly isn’t there.

That is termed a deviation from pubished instructions.

AC

[ 01. December 2015, 20:50: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posts: 33 | From: Oregon USA | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I just say on behalf of the whole ship:

[brick wall]

--------------------
arse

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, crap.

I responded to him in Purg before I read the posts here and in Hell.

Terribly sorry... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aristotle's Child,

A word of advice: if you are asked by a host not to do something, (as Marvin did on your other Styx thread), don't do the same thing again. It makes the baby Jesus cry, and in this case more importantly it makes the hosts cry.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aristotle's Child.

I have already told you not to use the real names of posters. You have now done it three times this evening.

Your inability to follow even the most simple instructions points to either severe idiocy or blatant trolling, and it doesn't really matter which. Cease immediately or you will lose the ability to post to these boards.

Marvin
Admin

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[cross-posted with Marvin]

Use this thread to practice UBB, and stop starting threads on the wrong boards.

[ 01. December 2015, 20:55: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For someone claiming exactitude, the spelling is entertaining.

I'm not sure I want to think about what a pubished instruction is...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been trying to decide which of multiple threads to post this on. On the basis of a coin toss, I'm posting here.

1. There are instructions on using UBB code in the FAQs (link at the top of the page, under the section on "posting messages"). The practice thread is just that, a place to try out different code - and, of course, if you can't get it right people will assist you.

2. There is also information on how to choose the appropriate board for a new thread in the FAQs.

3. We don't do multiple copies of the same discussion, it breaks up the discussion and we find that a single thread on a specific point works best. To that end, since we already have an active thread on the Catholic Church and infallibility please do not try to open that discussion yet again.

4. When you want to reply to a Private Message (PM), open the message from the list under "My Profile" (link next to the board name/graphic on every page) and click the "send reply" link there. Sending a reply to the email notification saying that you have a PM a) doesn't reach the person who sent the PM and b) does go to the board admin email address where we can see what was sent to you and your reply. As it says on the notification email
quote:
Please do not reply to this email. The person sending you the private email did not send this notification. To reply to the private message, you must do so from the message board.

[ 01. December 2015, 23:11: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aristotles Child

I have been on the ship for more years than I care to think about. I have seen all sorts of people come and go - some have been intelligent, others scrapping the mud at the bottom of the pool.

The only ones who seem to have trouble working out where and how to post are trolls.

So I would conclude that either a) you are a troll or b) you are less intelligent and capable than anyone else who has been a member of the ship.

In truth, I am not sure which is worse.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AC has gone. Thread closed.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016