homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why are there several locked threads in Heaven

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why are there several locked threads in Heaven
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they by any chance *annual* threads ?

[ 01. January 2016, 16:22: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do appear to be annual or ongoing threads that need renewing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, they are, DT.
But can someone explain the logic?
For advice threads, such as the photography and gardening, they contain information that people might wish to reference later. Yes, threads may be archived, but if the subject is the same, why? Is there a limit on pages per thread in the software? Does it offend the senses of the hosts?

[ 01. January 2016, 16:32: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It can be very off putting to new posters if they are faced with a fifty page thread. The threads are not in themselves indexed, so when they are really long it is difficult to use them as an effective reference resource as "I think the answer to that question appears on page 17 or maybe 44" involves so much searching the question / debate may as well be answered again.

Also rebooting gives an opportunity to have a new conversation.

(Note: I am obviously replying to this in a personal capacity as I don't host the relevant board, but I think is something that comes up on all boards from time to time.)

[ 01. January 2016, 17:15: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no software related thread length limit (though it may mean the search function doesn't work properly on it ... but as the search function doesn't work properly anyway that's not a particularly important consideration), just look at the UBB practice thread or several DH threads.

However, there does come a point where a long thread becomes unmanageable from the human interaction point of view. Long threads could be used as a reference, but who is going to have (say) a question about cameras and read the whole thread to see if it's already been asked? Even a "I think that's been answered" may result in taking a lot of time to find the relevant posts.

The decision whether to let an old thread run or start a new one is for the hosts to make. But, at the end of the day these are discussion boards not a reference library. If they consider a fresh start to be something that will encourage discussion then that is what will happen.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Valid, Alan, not that you need my approval.

I would do it differently, but I'm not doing it, so fair enough.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do something like this every year.

For very much the reasons given above.

Call it a seasonal impulse to refresh (even though you know life will go on exactly as before).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016