homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anniversary of 911

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anniversary of 911
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As this is coming up it may be important to remember what an awful shock it was to wake up on that morning and to respect the sadness and loss of it but my motive in starting this is to enquire among knowledgeable ship mates on the credibility or otherwise of the conspiracy theories regarding what happened.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Octopus

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh? Who let the Red Wings fan in here?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read a bit on the theories and have acquaintances among those who are well-informed. I do not accord the theories any notice.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I have read a bit on the theories and have acquaintances among those who are well-informed. I do not accord the theories any notice.

Ah, but that is irreverent. As are any facts or science. The beauty of conspiracy theories is they cannot be disproved.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The conspiracy theory that had the most impact, by far, was the one that said Saddam Hussein was involved. Which was bought hook, line and sinker by the US and other governments to justify an invasion of Iraq - and it's possible that it was a conspiracy theory initiated by members of the US administration.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Octopus

That post is about as clear and explanatory as the Truther YouTube channel it's referring to.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the conspiracies seem to revolve back around to "it was the Jews what did it" or "it was the Jews what financed it" etc etc etc. On that basis alone, it seems to me, these can be discounted as cracked veiled anti-Semitism.

Some weird shit went on that day, but none of the conspiracies seem weirder than a bunch of young men hijacking aeroplanes and flying them into buildings.

--------------------
arse

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Some weird shit went on that day, but none of the conspiracies seem weirder than a bunch of young men hijacking aeroplanes and flying them into buildings.

Bingo.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a special compartment in the human brain which pops up a *like* on conspiracies.
Theories become more and more elaborate until point ridiculous is reached.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this just goes to show that when a) you have limited information b) you have government/official sources you don't trust and c) you have very unusual events with results that are hard to replicate,

it is fairly easy to create an alternative narrative which is complex and hard to shoot down with logic.

I think this has all kinds of implications in life. For example, it just goes to show how hard it is to get to the truth of almost any event in history to the extent that some historians openly talk about their role to be weavers of compelling narratives rather than discoverers (guardians?) of the truth.

--------------------
arse

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the evidence is there - on the internet...

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
rolyn: There's a special compartment in the human brain which pops up a *like* on conspiracies.
I suspect that it goes through reinforcement of our self-esteem. "Other people may think it went like X, but I know that it really went like Y." This makes you feel special: you know more than other people. I'm guessing there are some endorphins that strengthen this. I also think that this is why it's so difficult for people to let go of their theories, even when they're confronted with evidence through Snopes or otherwise.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the Lizards wot done it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once read about a man who had his arm bitten off by a pterodactyl. He's got the stump to prove it.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Octopus

That post is about as clear and explanatory as the Truther YouTube channel it's referring to.
I wasn't trying to explain anything. Explaining is a good way to get oneself disappeared. Don't think for a second the Octopus doesn't have tentacles in France. You should probably wear a tinfoil hat while reading this thread.

I'm going outside to look for black helicopters.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It's the Lizards wot done it.

Yes all of the Illuminatti families (Rockefeller, Morgans, Kennedys, Kardashians, Bushs, Bundys etc..) are shape shifting lizards.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We know why. We know what. We know when. The who is uninteresting except when it is us.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread was motivated by a workmate who had a concern regarding this issue. It was not a particular interest of mine as a New Zealander but I did watch this. Comment

[ 07. September 2015, 01:49: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I've got a friend who has a conspiracy theory?"... Well he's wrong.
I'm glad you weren't taken in by the stupid conspiracy theory in that video like your friend Do note that the "growing number of Americans rethinking what happened on 9/11" seems to have shrunk, despite the claims of the this advertising campaign.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
the conspiracy theories regarding what happened.

A lot of people died, is what happened.

I suspect conspiracy theories are about why it happened. Which frankly are pretty irrelevant this far after the event, given what happened afterward.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The simple answer to the so-called 'secret' about Building 7 is that the opinions of architects and engineers were that the twin towers wouldn't collapse either - but they did.

As an engineer friend said to me it all came as a big shock because no one had thought about a large aeroplane being flown into one of the towers, nor had anyone given any thought to a fire caused by a vast amount of aviation fuel. All the tests done on the structure of the buildings was to ensure they could cope with weight, wind, slight land movement, flooding: nothing at all was done about collision. Similarly, the work done on resistance to fire was done at the time of construction and wasn't re-done after earlier fires had caused question marks about the sprinkler systems resulting in the steel frame of the buildings being coated with fire-proofing material; this material is only fireproof to a certain temperature, after which it combusts.

The reason the fires caused the collapse of Building 7 was that the sprinkler system didn't work because the water mains into the building had been ruptured by the collapse of the twin towers. And all of the modelling about the effect of fire on the buildings had presumed that 'a fire' would involve one or maybe two floors: trouble was that on 9/11 the fires engulfing Building 7 were on many more floors.

The last thing is to consider where the money comes from to fund the type of slick operation that is mounted by some of the conspiracy theory websites and then to look at who they're pointing the finger: I suggest that with the suggestion that 'the Jews' were involved and 'the government' the source of funds may not be a million miles away from some gulf states or Iran.

[ 07. September 2015, 11:18: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
the conspiracy theories regarding what happened.

A lot of people died, is what happened.

I suspect conspiracy theories are about why it happened. Which frankly are pretty irrelevant this far after the event, given what happened afterward.

Yes, re why. I'm not a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, though I've looked at some of it. (Partly because our mayor evidently got some sort of warning not to fly. I just looked it up, and the account is still substantially the same. The only question seems to be who warned him.)

I think things are pretty much in line with the main narrative: Al Qaeda guys flying planes into buildings. Dubya using that as an excuse to go after Sadaam Hussein. And the various intelligence agencies failing to protect us, due to inter-agency rivalries. Plus Condi Rice saying yes, she had gotten some sort of warning; but, since it wasn't specific, she didn't pay it much attention.

As to "irrelevant": I don't think so. The gov't evidently screwed up re sharing the intelligence they did have. (E.g., FBI and CIA not talking to each other.) That's been mainstream news. The US gov't has done all sorts of bad, stupid, and illegal things, throughout its history, which (unfortunately) makes some of the wilder theories a little more plausible. There was, at least, a conspiracy of stupidity and arrogance--not that the gov't planned anything, but they didn't use, share, or take seriously the info they had.

The gov't's fumbling of Hurricane Katrina was so horrendous that it has survivors wondering if the protective levees were blown on purpose. (I watched something about this, recently. The host said that, given mistreating and abandoning people during/after the storm, given all the efforts to keep people from returning to the Lower 9th Ward, efforts to grab the land and gentrify, efforts to keep residents and returnees from getting the help they needed, you can sure see why they'd think that.)

The gov't has screwed up a lot, we've had our sense of safety ripped away, people died, our culture and daily life have changed, and we still seem to be in danger.

Plus we're still rehashing the Lincoln assassination, and who shot first at Lexington and Concord. (The start of our Revolutionary War.)

So no, "why" is not irrelevant.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The gov't's fumbling of Hurricane Katrina was so horrendous that it has survivors wondering if the protective levees were blown on purpose. (I watched something about this, recently. The host said that, given mistreating and abandoning people during/after the storm, given all the efforts to keep people from returning to the Lower 9th Ward, efforts to grab the land and gentrify, efforts to keep residents and returnees from getting the help they needed, you can sure see why they'd think that.)

Well, that plus the fact that the levees were blown up on purpose during the 1927 flood. People remember stuff like that.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The levees were blown in 1927 so that water could run out to sea, not to let the sea in.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

The reason we have conspiracy theories is because powers that be have agendas. Sometimes those agendas are put into action, many times they stay hidden and are not activated.

So now and again when you get incidents like 9/11 or the assassination of the Arch Duke Ferdinand, which are exploited and used as an excuse to activate hidden agendas, some folk will always look back at history and go -- OMG look at that humongous conspiracy! It's as plain as the nose on your face don't you know.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re 1927 flood:

I just skimmed the article to which Croesos linked. Yes, blowing the levees was officially to drain the water. But if you read through, it was bankers who decided to do it. (See "Attempts At Relief".) And the aftermath sounds very much like that of Katrina.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the reason why conspiracy theories exist is, as has been said, because sometimes governments, big business and other powerful interest groups have their own, hidden agenda.

The other side of the coin is that sometimes people believe conspiracy theories either because they want to (they want to be anti-semitic) or because of the human desire for 'controlled fear'. Although they are now out of fashion, there are many 'fairy stories' involving just this controlled fear. Experiencing fear, and believing that one has some control over 'scary things' by knowing about them, helps people to deal with the unknown.

Knowing that there are trolls that live under bridges helps people deal with other possible dangers, especially if they know that there are also big billy goats gruff who can deal with the trolls. Knowing that there is a 'bogie man' out there, or witches living in the woods, helps children feel secure if they stay indoors in bed, or don't go wandering into the woods on their own. These sorts of stories aren't as widely told any more, but in part they have been transformed into horror movies, particularly popular among teens to young adults, who are starting to have to cope with that big thing called life.

We have a big, scary world where little seems to be under any control. But, hey, I know the secret; I know that it was secretly the Jews, the CIA, the lizard people or whoever that was behind it. And knowing this secret gives me a sense of control over it.

In an odd way, it makes a kind of sense to believe a crazy-as-a-box-of-frogs conspiracy theory. The problems come when people start acting on them. They really would be better off reading Three Little Pigs.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

I do sometimes think our modern day attempts to rationalise everything, and as you say do away with fairy-tales, is in fact creating a new kind of fear and yes, a rather worrying inability to deal with it.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re 1927 flood:

I just skimmed the article to which Croesos linked. Yes, blowing the levees was officially to drain the water. But if you read through, it was bankers who decided to do it. (See "Attempts At Relief".) And the aftermath sounds very much like that of Katrina.

Bankers at the behest of Jesuits

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And both of them part of the international and internationalist Jewish conspiracy, supported by the godless rulers in the Kremlin, intent on breaking down the constitutional rights of free-born citizens.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016