homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » cover yourself girl, you're turning the boys on! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: cover yourself girl, you're turning the boys on!
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this from a 14 year old yesterday. The girls at the school are told 'thou shalt wear full sleeves and not show thy collar bones because it gives the boys boners'. I have strong opinions about this.

I have thought this is entirely unreasonable, and that one of the main developmental tasks of boys is to learn to control their hormonally governed behaviour, and that learning that is a mark of being the least bit civilized.

Are the boys not responsible for their own sexual arousal? Should we not demand of them self control?

My children are long grown, but I did have the discussion with my daughters at about grade 6 (age 12 or so) that they will notice that boys sometimes will stand up awkwardly from their desks and then play "pocket pool", because the poor lads haven't got control of their penises yet. The discussion also involved the problem of slow dancing at school dances, about which they developed pity versus intimidation about obvious boy arousal. I felt this located the problem where it belonged - with the boys - and allowed the girls to feel more powerful than they otherwise might be.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boys that age will be aroused 2-3 times in every classroom hour (and out of class as well, of course) regardless of the presence of girls (however clothed), hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, other boys or even if completely alone.

THis rule is totally pointless (so to speak) from the perspective of stopping boys getting aroused, as well as sexist and a bunch of other things (do the boys have to watch what they wear to prevent the girls getting aroused?...sorry, forgot, girls don't get aroused, right?)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
because the poor lads haven't got control of their penises yet.

Erm - when does conscious control of erections develop?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think several times an hour may be overstating things: http://www.kidzworld.com/article/833-male-puberty

[ 15. September 2015, 18:51: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My children are long grown, but I did have the discussion with my daughters at about grade 6 (age 12 or so) that they will notice that boys sometimes will stand up awkwardly from their desks and then play "pocket pool", because the poor lads haven't got control of their penises yet. The discussion also involved the problem of slow dancing at school dances, about which they developed pity versus intimidation about obvious boy arousal. I felt this located the problem where it belonged - with the boys - and allowed the girls to feel more powerful than they otherwise might be.

Just what the girls need, another girl-power talk to make them feel even more superior.

There's a whole generation of boys growing up who hear from first grade onward that girls are smarter, better behaved, and just plain nicer in every way. They hear it from the girls themselves, their parents and their teachers. It may seem to the adults that that's all just bringing balance in a "man's world." The trouble is those little boys never experienced that world where the men were all good at math and only men were doctors, lawyers and engineers. All they know about is that awesome girl-power thing, movies where the men are crude and foolish and TV commercials where the husband is usually a moron corrected by the much smarter wife. Their homes, schools and churches are most often dominated by women.

That may be why boys are now doing worse than girls in every subject and graduating from college in lower numbers than girls.

I don't care what kind of clothes girls wear to school, I've always been in favor of uniforms myself, but this school's "explanation," for full sleeves and high necks is just one more nail in the coffin of the boys' self-esteem as it depicts them as not much more evolved than animals.

Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

That may be why boys are now doing worse than girls in every subject and graduating from college in lower numbers than girls.

But it doesn't hold them back once they make it to the workplace, despite their lower grades.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I heard this from a 14 year old yesterday. The girls at the school are told 'thou shalt wear full sleeves and not show thy collar bones because it gives the boys boners'. I have strong opinions about this.

It's a while since I've been a 14 year old boy, but as I recall, it didn't need anything nearly so licentious as an exposed collarbone to provoke a boner. 14-year old boys get aroused at the drop of a hat (probably because the girl has to bend down to pick it up).

In general, I'm a fan of school uniforms. If you don't want a uniform, I could support a dress code, but it has nothing to do with teenage arousal. It starts with the assumption that schools often require children to sit in close proximity, and it is courteous not to inflict contact with your bare flesh on people. So a shirt that covers your shoulders (no athletic shirts etc.) and shorts / trousers / skirt / leggings / whatever that extend past mid-thigh when seated ought to suffice for that.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to Victorian times [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a teacher's perspective, a dress code that rules out short skirts and low cut tops (for staff or students) does give a modicum of protection against false accusations of perving, accusations which are very difficult to throw off once made. I agree that there isn't much you can do to deter a 14 year old's libido, but you can give a little bit of protection to staff in an age where, of necessity, child protection issues are taken very seriously indeed. It's not about blaming one gender for the arousal of another, simply about appropriate dress for the situation.

The difficulty is that such allegations and suspicions are more likely to be made and taken seriously by female students against male staff, so staff wariness naturally tends to be felt more heavily by female students. Most teachers will feel pretty comfortable (discreetly) telling a 12 year old boy that he needs to sort his trousers out because everyone can see his backside but male teachers will tend to shy away from any comment about how girls are dressed.

[ 15. September 2015, 20:39: Message edited by: Arethosemyfeet ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I can see in my area, lots of secondary school girls are now allowed to incorporate the mini-skirt into their uniform, even at private schools. The alternative is to wear trousers, not skirts that cover the knees.

I don't know what the mini-skirt/black tights combo does for the boys, but I doubt that their opinion is asked for or required.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a link that may help understand. APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls. I don't buy the "poor boys" argument. I am male, I understand boys. I am a father, I try my darnedest to understand girls.

quote:
In study after study, findings have indicated that women more often than men are portrayed in a sexual manner (e.g., dressed in revealing clothing, with bodily postures or facial expressions that imply sexual readiness) and are objectified (e.g., used as a decorative object, or as body parts rather than a whole person).
The report goes on to discuss consequences for girls regarding decreased cognitive performance, lowered self esteem, sexual adjustment, among others. So I don't buy the defensiveness about this.

[tangent]
Generally in North America, there are no school uniforms, and no possibility of instituting this. I wouldn't support them: they seem elitist to western Canadian eyes. Private schools may have these, but outside of a few areas in a minority of provinces, very few people attend these. Publicly funded education is the rule and the standards are enforced by provinces. Almost no-one attends private schools.
[/tangent]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
From what I can see in my area, lots of secondary school girls are now allowed to incorporate the mini-skirt into their uniform, even at private schools. The alternative is to wear trousers, not skirts that cover the knees.

I don't know what the mini-skirt/black tights combo does for the boys, but I doubt that their opinion is asked for or required.

Having been a boy, I can assure you that they do nothing for the avoidance of impure thoughts in the youth.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SvitlanaV2: I don't know what the mini-skirt/black tights combo does for the boys
It reminds them of the ethereal quality of the Universe, and of the intrinsic importance of their duty to dedicate themselves to their studies.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wouldn't support them: they seem elitist to western Canadian eyes.

Whereas they are often defended on precisely the opposite grounds. Assuming your uniform isn't white tie and a tailcoat, having everyone wear the same thing is a great equalizer. It's not perfect, of course - nothing can be - but it does remove any social pressure to have the "right" brands of clothing / shoes etc.

There's a certain amount of signalling that goes on to do with how you wear the uniform, but it's very much more restrictive.

(I very much appreciated having to wear a school uniform - I was never a "cool" kid, and didn't have trendy clothes, but it didn't matter, because I wore the same uniform as everyone else.)

But if you associate school uniform with elitism because only elitist schools have a uniform, that might be too big an impediment to overcome.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only way to curb teenagers sexual arousal involves a knife or a chemical substitute. If that it what you are trying to do, fine, but surely the the purpose of a school is to teach boys (and girls) to be mature, sensible, responsible members of society*.

It seems that the school is failing in its duty, by wanting the pupils to take responsibility for other pupils behaviour. That is not on.

*Unless it is Eton, of course.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
because the poor lads haven't got control of their penises yet.

Augustine (City Of God, BkXIV, ChXXIV) cites lack of control over erections as evidence of human fallenness.

After all, he says, humans retain control over other physical functions, such as those who "can break wind backward so artificially that you would think they sung".

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it is endless. Once collarbones are forbidden, we move on to wrists. Women's hair is known to emit rays that drive men mad -- would an ayatollah lie to us about this? What about those sexually provocative lips? And ankles? Even muffling women head to toe in black cloth is not enough, better cover their eyes (clearly engines of Satan) as well.
And still it is not enough. The simplest thing would be to remove women from tempting positions altogether. They don't need to go to school. Driving, pooh. If they aren't educated, their votes are cast in ignorance, might as well take those away.
And still! Nothing, as others point out, controls those boners!
So maybe it is a waste of time to try and fix it from the girls' end. Maybe it is time to address those boys.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

He must have been a terrible singer.

You can exercise some control. I always found that visualising Mrs Wood, my English Teacher, was usually a reliable means of enabling me to stand without embarrassment, no matter who I'd been thinking about whilst I was meant to be thinking about the ablative absolute. Ironically, actually thinking about the ablative absolute would also have been an effective mental bucket of water.

"Hardoni Thatcherus est/The erection having been overcome, the boy arose from his desk"

[ 15. September 2015, 21:54: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

We have 2 school systems in many provinces in Canada, set out constitutionally and publicly funded by taxation. The "Separate" school system is Roman Catholic, and while it takes anyone who wants to register, has a unique approach. The "Public" system operates differently, shunning all religious education.

It's interesting the local RC high school bans cell phones, and the local Public high school requires responsible use. The two schools approach the sexuality question rather differently, with the RC school being the one in this instance that I would quibble with. But these decisions are made by the individual school administration, and then by the school boards, varying quite a bit. I expect to hear next of parents complaining that the school has it wrong, and this debate to continue.

We had a warm day a for the recent "Free the Nipple Day", with women topless in parks and some men wearing bras and bikini tops. With the point being that a social change is required. Is it possible to desexualize anatomy? Must a person get all horned up if a nipple, God forbid, an entire tit, should appear?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I think several times an hour may be overstating things: http://www.kidzworld.com/article/833-male-puberty

I wish that kind of info had been available to me when I was a teen.

No Prophet I think the way you told your daughters about this was great. I remember a boy trying to coerce me into sex because of what I "had caused" and feeling guilty about saying no. I must admit I secretly felt really powerful that I had caused it, and to know the truth would have been helpful from that angle too.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several thoughts:-

First, why is this an issue of principle?

Second, I'd imagine most of us agree with the simple proposition that adolescents of both sexes need to be discouraged from flaunting their sexual charms at each other and taught to behave modestly?

Third, it's a long time since I was a teenager, and in those far off days most schools were segregated. However, I'd imagine that any right minded head wants to discourage their school from being a hotbed of seething hormones.

Fourth, it's a nineteenth century delusion, a version of 'men the beasts' to assume that the boys are all the problem. Plenty of teenage girls are right little madams.

Finally, No Prophet, why does this matter so much to you? Nobody is requiring you to send your daughter or son to this school?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He must have been a terrible singer.
[/QUOTE]

This was before Hillsong.

You had to make the most of what you had available.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks ago this little hussy was sent home for wearing a top that exposed her (gasp!) collarbone. The principal blamed it on her giving him "attitude," but she never should have been called to his office in the first place.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Is it possible to desexualize anatomy? Must a person get all horned up if a nipple, God forbid, an entire tit, should appear?

Obviously it's possible - in tribal societies where bare breasts are normal, you don't see all the men wandering around pointing forwards. If exposed breasts were commonplace, I imagine we'd have the same thing, and people would notice a pretty pair in much the same way as they notice a pretty face.
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
quote:

But it doesn't hold them back once they make it to the workplace, despite their lower grades.
We are still in an era shaped by the remnants of a bygone world where structural advantages highly favored men over women. Wait twenty years and I would be extremely surprised if men are not doing just as poorly in the workplace as they currently are in the educational system.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Finally, No Prophet, why does this matter so much to you? Nobody is requiring you to send your daughter or son to this school?

The young person is a well-loved member of my extended family, whose parents are less apt to discuss such matters than nutbars like me are.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
'thou shalt wear full sleeves and not show thy collar bones because it gives the boys boners'.

"I have a left shoulder blade that is a miracle of loveliness. People come miles to see it. My right elbow has a fascination that few can resist".
The Mikado

Seems you can't be too careful.

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Oz, we mostly wear school uniforms. 99% of schools demand it.
That seems to help in the realm of school dress codes.
Generations of us have worn them, with no apparent pyschological damage.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you have to set some sort of standard for all kids of whatever gender, or some of them will keep pushing, pushing, pushing until they show up at English with nothing but body paint on.

And some parents can't be trusted to carry a clue in a paper bag. (Could have done a Pap smear exam on one girl at church a little while ago without her taking her pants off--I think she was 13)

But none of this is going to control libidos of any sort. It will hopefully avoid the more ridiculous excesses of fashion* and give both genders a fighting chance to notice their schoolwork ("What's that, a book? Oh an iPad, I missed when they introduced them").

* Fashions can destroy concentration in other ways than lust. We had an adult woman show up at church once in bunny ears with flashing LED lights on top.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

"Hardoni Thatcherus est/The erection having been overcome, the boy arose from his desk"

Whereas my 'arising' from my desk actually caused me to remain seated.
Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

The young person is a well-loved member of my extended family, whose parents are less apt to discuss such matters than nutbars like me are.
You could go to the media with this story. I'm sure they'd be very interested in teachers warning short-sleeved schoolgirls about 'boners'. That'd certainly give everyone something to 'discuss'!

[ 16. September 2015, 01:28: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an idea: just tell the kids that the period between 12 and 16 will be a time where a lot of things will be happening to them sexually. It is just the way things are. No one is responsible for what is happening to another person, but if that person is having a hard time encourage them to talk to a trusted adult.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a teenager anymore, but I do think that this emphasis on erections is a bit exaggerated. It would be perfectly possible for me to find someone attractive and even try to get a second glimpse (discretely), without immediately having a boner and imagining doing the complete Kama Sutra with her.

But maybe I'm atypical.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
if that person is having a hard time encourage them to talk to a trusted adult.

That may be when they want to remain seated at their desks.

I think there is a problem, because this is the age when we teach our young people about their own personal sexuality and its significance. There is a danger that we teach boys that they cannot control themselves and girls that they are the temptresses. These ideas will persist and damage people (rather, they do persist, and people are damaged by them).

There is a part of me that want to say to boys "this is what a naked women looks like. Now go off and have a good wank, because it is natural to be attracted to them*. And remember that the desire to spurt off is YOUR problem not THEIRS".

For the girls, a similar approach "this is what a naked man looks like. He has a massive stiffy that he wants to stick in you. It is your choice whether he does or not. Now go off and have a wank."

*Which is not to say that not being attracted to them is not natural, of course. The discussion needs to be rather longer than this summary.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wore a school uniform. It was a matching navy blue skirt and sweater outfit that I wore every Monday/Wednesday/Friday with an alternate, less cute, number on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I just wish the other kids had worn one, too.
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Augustine (City Of God, BkXIV, ChXXIV) cites lack of control over erections as evidence of human fallenness.

After all, he says, humans retain control over other physical functions, such as those who "can break wind backward so artificially that you would think they sung".

That's fantastic - what a quote. I only beg to differ from the great man in that ISTM that conscious control of erections does indeed develop - when one reaches an age at which acquiring and maintaining one requires feats of concentration which would have astonished one's 14-yr-old self.

Must just be that my sanctification is coming along so nicely...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It all sounds like an argument for increasing the number of single-sex schools. A less distracting environment in many ways.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Not as far as I can remember. Much more than 3 or 4 per hour.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wore a school uniform. It was a matching navy blue skirt and sweater outfit that I wore every Monday/Wednesday/Friday with an alternate, less cute, number on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I just wish the other kids had worn one, too.

[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
no prophet wrote -
quote:
I heard this from a 14 year old yesterday. The girls at the school are told 'thou shalt wear full sleeves and not show thy collar bones because it gives the boys boners'....
I don't for a minute doubt what you were told, np - the question I would have is "to what extent is this a faithful representation of the facts?". Particularly that bit after "because..." - did the school really explain things this way, or was this added for your benefit as an explanation?

I've just been reading the article linked to by Pigwidgeon. In subject matter it looks very similar. But have you read the context? "Look at my daughter! Don't you think she's cute? Press that "like" button now!" And it's in a style mag. dammit. The school claims that collarbone rules are purely there for measuring, which I'm inclined to believe unless there's been an outbreak of unreported clavicular lust.

Learning how you live with dress codes is actually part of growing up, something a few middle-aged people could also profitably learn. And please don't bother with the "expressing individuality" nonsense. All these pupil choices are dress codes, except ones that are driven by concerns of other groups, frequently what peers regard as fashionable.

Organizational dress codes are likely to figure more largely if you don't do school uniforms. They are bound to have a large element of arbitrariness to them. Tough luck. This is a real first-world problem.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a whole generation of boys growing up who hear from first grade onward that girls are smarter, better behaved, and just plain nicer in every way.

Can you give us some examples to work with?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:

That's fantastic - what a quote. I only beg to differ from the great man in that ISTM that conscious control of erections does indeed develop - when one reaches an age at which acquiring and maintaining one requires feats of concentration which would have astonished one's 14-yr-old self.

Must just be that my sanctification is coming along so nicely...

That's very good. If you have any tips, gratefully received.

Reminds me of the old saying about premature ejaculation - when you're young, you desperately think of things to stop it, e.g. Margaret Thatcher, when you're old, you're overjoyed if you can manage it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It all sounds like an argument for increasing the number of single-sex schools. A less distracting environment in many ways.

For all but, what, 10%.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I fully approve of sensible* dress codes, I don't like school uniforms or single-sex schools. Children have to learn to deal with the real world. I once had a summer job with (mostly) girls from various schools. You could spot the ones who went to a parochial school with uniforms from a mile away. Never having to choose their own clothes, and never being allowed to wear make-up, they looked like a bunch of hookers when they were given the freedom to dress as they wanted. Single-sex schools also don't prepare them for when they graduate and face real life.

*"Sensible," of course, meaning what I think is proper! [Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah, because they won't see each other outside of this and there is no hyper-sexualisation occurring outside school.
Common sense dress code and decent sex-Ed.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
and imagining doing the complete Kama Sutra with her.

Like getting married and division of chores? Sexual positions contribute only 20% of the Kama Sutra.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Never having to choose their own clothes, and never being allowed to wear make-up, they looked like a bunch of hookers when they were given the freedom to dress as they wanted.

Parents are the problem here, not school uniforms. Where school uniforms are simply something one wears at school, IME, this isn't a problem. Where school uniforms represent a a particular philosophy, it is.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Yeah, because they won't see each other outside of this and there is no hyper-sexualisation occurring outside school.

They won't see each other within school hours in the school environment (unless of course they sneak out at lunchtime to meet up). What they do outside school is their own problem.

quote:
Single-sex schools also don't prepare them for when they graduate and face real life.

Of course, no people at single-sex schools have siblings of the opposite sex or active social lives outside school. I would say that most of the girls I was at school with were very well prepared for "real life".
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

For the girls, a similar approach "this is what a naked man looks like. He has a massive stiffy that he wants to stick in you. It is your choice whether he does or not. Now go off and have a wank."

You might make a slight amendment to the girls' version--the sight of a naked man (not one's own man!) with a massive stiffy does nothing in my experience but make girls giggle.

I know it's unfair.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

They won't see each other within school hours in the school environment (unless of course they sneak out at lunchtime to meet up). What they do outside school is their own problem.

quote:
Single-sex schools also don't prepare them for when they graduate and face real life.

Of course, no people at single-sex schools have siblings of the opposite sex or active social lives outside school. I would say that most of the girls I was at school with were very well prepared for "real life".

And you undermine your own case, IMO. Children and teens will be distracted in school no matter.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

You might make a slight amendment to the girls' version--the sight of a naked man (not one's own man!) with a massive stiffy does nothing in my experience but make girls giggle.

I know it's unfair.

That is my experience, but I didn't know it was general.

But whatever - the principle is there. And yes, the parents who have driven their kids the 400yrds to school in a 4x4 will kick up a fuss about their little Alberta being corrupted. I think the duty of educating Alberta should override this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016