homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pig Gate (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pig Gate
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's side are you on on this one?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/21/heres-how-politicians-reacted-to-david-camerons-piggate-5400688/

Cameron's (it's a lie), Ashworth (time to tell, look what a posh wierdo David really is), the pig (ouch!)?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care what he did to the pig all those years years ago. What matters is what he's doing to our society here and now. A metaphor involving having sex with it would be apt.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
I don't care what he did to the pig all those years years ago. What matters is what he's doing to our society here and now. A metaphor involving having sex with it would be apt.

Exactly my thoughts.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it deeply depressing. We all do stupid things when young, and groups of young men fuelled by alcohol are hardly going to behave like saints, but it could hardly have been a more vindictive and better timed piece of nastiness, if true (an old friend of his was on the radio last night saying it was the first he'd ever heard of it). It ensured that amongst most people the prime minister is now a laughing stock, except in the Middle East/Israel, where he'll be regarded with disgust as being beyond the pale.

Sadly if it is true, I think the only thing he could do now is to step down because I can't see anyone taking him seriously after this. Which would be a shame because I think he's the right person for the job in other ways.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the usual defamation laws do not apply to information written in books based on from whispers by third parties, serialised in the Daily frigging Mail and repeated across the internet - providing it is about the Prime Minister.

Nobody knows the truth about these stories, so I think we'd all do well to keep our speculations to ourselves.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what's worse, whopping one's willy into a piece of dead pork or committing the unforgivable grammatical sin - it's 'whose' not 'who's' ...

[Razz]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Sadly if it is true, I think the only thing he could do now is to step down because I can't see anyone taking him seriously after this. Which would be a shame because I think he's the right person for the job in other ways.

Really?

I think it will all simply blow over, either completely ignored if not true dismissed as 'youthful japes' if true.

Plenty of fodder for comedy writers 'tho!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this matter probably tells us a lot more about Lord Ashcroft* than it does about David Cameron, but he's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

And also Jeremy Corbyn, who apparently 'favorited' a Tweet referring to both this and Diane Abbott. Nice.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Corbyn seems to have managed to keep out of the personal attacks style of politics so far, it was only a matter of time before he was going to lapse and show that he was as human as the rest of us ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
I think this matter probably tells us a lot more about Lord Ashcroft* than it does about David Cameron, but he's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

And also Jeremy Corbyn, who apparently 'favorited' a Tweet referring to both this and Diane Abbott. Nice.

We believe he personally controls his twitter account at all times do we ? And decided to insult one of the few mps on his side ? Or perhaps a staffer, clicked before thinking and then rapidly deleted it.

[ 22. September 2015, 08:21: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We all do stupid things when young,

I am fairly sure I had no sexual contact with dead animals - I find it slightly wierd that quite a few people are taking this line that, if true, this behaviour is normal. It really is not.

quote:

Unless someone provides photographic evidence, he is not going say this is true. The source for the story is paper thin though, and I am not convinced it actually happened.

The book also alleges he took drugs, and the most Cameron has ever said to that is - I never took cocaine after I became an mp. Is this more or less of a prpblem for you than whether he does up his collar button or not ?

[ 22. September 2015, 08:28: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Prime Minister comes out of this quite well. A man gave millions to the Conservative Party and thought he was entitled to a job as a result and Cameron said 'no'. The book looks like sour grapes.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

That would play better if he had not, in fact, offered Lord Ashcroft a job.

[ 22. September 2015, 08:56: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is what I said yesterday about this on the 'What are your thoughts on Jeremy Corbyn ....' thread.

Most of us did things when we were young that embarrass us now.

I'm sure she's too nice a person to do such a thing. But suppose the legends recently reported are true. Suppose also that at some time Jeremy Corbyn were to drop Diane Abbott from the Shadow Cabinet. And suppose then, she were to public an article in the press about how he snored, or how he had a tiny dingle-dangle. Would that be any different or any more relevant than pig-gate?

I have no view on whether the story is true or not. Either way, what I said yesterday is what I still think.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Would that be any different or any more relevant than pig-gate?

The actual event is irrelevant. They are different in that you are comparing traits over which someone has no control over vs a something done deliberately.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Corbyn thread I said that these events from the past should have no bearing on politics but this piece I just read has changed my mind.

quote:
Burning money in front of a homeless person isn’t just intended to be a nasty prank, it serves to train a Bullingdon boy’s senses, to make other humans seem somehow less. That David Cameron and his allies George Osborne and Boris Johnson have all done this, and that they have all presided over a sharp spike in homelessness in London and throughout the UK, are not coincidental. The MP who provided Lord Ashcroft with the details of the pig story attended one meeting of the expensive club but left in disgust because ‘it was all about despising poor people’.

And thus part of the reason why the British are so ready to believe Lord Ashcroft’s story, aside from the fact that Ashcroft is a top-tier Establishment figure in a country with absurdly plaintiff-friendly libel laws, is that Cameron’s ideological training is already well understood by the public. There is nothing likable about such a background, particularly when the ruling class it produces is waging a war on the poor and disabled that would have made Thatcher blush.

Why the British are really laughing.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cameron has been accused of doing lots of
things while a member of the Bullingdon but I've never seen any evidence connecting him to anything in particular. The article quoted above suggests Cameron was a member of the Piers Gaveston Society but there seems to be doubt about this (it also reads a bit conspiracy theory-esque).

It's interesting how Cameron's membership of the Bullingdon is somehow a stain on his character whereas, say, David Dimbleby doesn't get tarred with the same brush.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent my university time (which coincided almost exactly with the PM's - just at a different establishment) working for my degree, climbing mountains, eating curry and drinking beer. If, as has been suggested, that Cameron's activities are 'part of a normal university experience', then I worry for the safety of my children, who'll be heading off there shortly.

I knew several people who spent some of the time off their faces, either through drink or drugs. It was unfortunate for them. They didn't seem to come out at graduation (if they got there at all) with what they hoped for.

But okay, let's say these rumours are utterly and entirely untrue. Cameron's problem - more so now - is that people will look at him and believe that he's the sort of person who might just have done that sort of thing even if he hadn't.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I think the Prime Minister comes out of this quite well.

Out of the eyesockets, presumably?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assuming that the pig was dead, which I presume is the case as it seems to be just a pigs head, then is it even illegal?

I mean it might be bloody wierd, but there are more serious things going on in the world than some drunken prank from a long time ago.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

I saw a tweet suggesting that, under the law as it stands today, the alleged act would not be illegal but possessing a photograph of the alleged act would be (I think under 2003 legislation). I'm afraid I can't link to anything at the mo.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IF he did it, would giving a large donation to an animal rights organization (PETA, etc.) help on the PR front?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And an equally large donation of hard cash to prostate cancer research.

[ 22. September 2015, 10:36: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
Would that be any different or any more relevant than pig-gate?

The actual event is irrelevant. They are different in that you are comparing traits over which someone has no control over vs a something done deliberately.
Sorry. Have I read that correctly? Are you saying that someone on the right can help taking part in a rowdy and unpleasant initiation ritual, but that two young people on the left can't help going on a summer of love tour of East Germany on a motorbike?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giving a donation to PETA is never the answer. They're a loathesome organisation.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing will help on the PR front except a dignified silence. The pig story is a gift for puns and jokes, but the real issue is why Lord Ashcroft thought he could effectively buy a position in government. Was he wildly deluded, or was his expectation based on previous examples?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry. Have I read that correctly? Are you saying that someone on the right can help taking part in a rowdy and unpleasant initiation ritual, but that two young people on the left can't help going on a summer of love tour of East Germany on a motorbike?

I think it's rather more the case that Corbyn can't help it if he snores or has a small wang. Honestly, whatever might come up about a consensual sexual relationship with an adult human is unlikely to be in the same league.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] I think he's the right person for the job in other ways.

For the willy-in pig snout job? Perhaps. For the PM job? You're kidding!

[ 22. September 2015, 10:44: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry. Have I read that correctly? Are you saying that someone on the right can help taking part in a rowdy and unpleasant initiation ritual

No. See what Liopleurodon said above. After all - it wasn't the summer of love episode that you were actually comparing it with.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Cameron was never a member of Piers Gaveston, although Hugh Grant was, also Rory Stewart MP.

Did DC attend as a guest on perform the alleged act? Doubtful. My sources tell me that the reputation of PG is far more lurid than is warranted, and while much may be written about so-called initiation rites, in practice they don't happen.

Should DC comment about the allegations? Absolutely not - why should he make any remark about a load of bo**ocks for which even Isabel Oakeshott (co-author with Lord Ashcroft) accepted they could find no corroboration and which, on her own admission, was left in the book because she thought it would make it racier and more saleable.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's interesting how Cameron's membership of the Bullingdon is somehow a stain on his character whereas, say, David Dimbleby doesn't get tarred with the same brush.

David Dimbleby hasn't taken up public office.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:
I think the Prime Minister comes out of this quite well.

Out of the eyesockets, presumably?
[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill Clinton claimed he never inhaled when smoking Marijuana.

So maybe Cameron will just deny ejaculating.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IF Pig-gate is true - and it's a very big if, because the Daily Mail doesn't care whose character it assassinates, and Lord Ashcroft is not exactly a classy person, "not settling scores" my arse - then even then I wouldn't find it that funny, because David Cameron has done far, far worse things than Pig-gate. Or at least presided over far worse things than Pig-gate. This present government is the most mean-spirited and immoral I can ever remember. I'd send the whole lot of them to the Tower if I could, and I'm not joking.

This article says it all, IMO:

http://theleveller.org/2015/09/british-really-laughing/

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sadly if it is true, I think the only thing he could do now is to step down because I can't see anyone taking him seriously after this.

I agree with Boogie - it's worth a bit of a snigger, but it'll all blow over.

Doublethink: this specific act may be unusual, but I don't think the general idea is. Remember the apple pie scene from American Pie? The reason that played so well is that the thought process seems so reasonable to teenage boys. I don't know anyone who had access to a pig's head, but we dissected cow hearts in biology class in school, and at least one boy was reputed to have "utilized" the superior vena cava. I can't tell you whether it actually happened, but I can tell you that it was widely viewed as a bit gross, but entirely plausible.

(According to the reports I read, there is no allegation that the pig's head was used for sex - merely that the genitals were placed in it in an initiation ritual. A bit of quasi-sexual humiliation in initiations into male societies is as old as the hills. There was a case a few years ago involving an initiation into a US high school football team, in which a new member was debagged and photographed with a flag sticking out of his arse. IIRC, there were convictions for sexual assault - but don't think that those particular boys invented the idea.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Normalising sexual assault is also a problem, it is possible that Cameron is the victim of a crime in this. Either through being involved by coercion, or later subjected to blackmail.

[ 22. September 2015, 12:33: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Normalising sexual assault is also a problem,

Sure, but this is a rather modern view of this kind of thing. Thirty years ago, I don't think anyone would have viewed this kind of thing as sexual in any sense, any more than one boy dropping trou and farting whilst another hovered with a cigarette lighter was a sexual activity.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian local newspaper comments about empty headed rich boys all competing for upper class twit of the year, and marvels at the UK's inability to dispense with archaic class boundaries, seeing this as part of the problem. Is there something to the privilege that some rich people feel, puts them on a cloud somewhere? Is this part of the problem?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Problem is, unsavoury initiation ceremonies are not the sole preserve of the rich and powerful - as anyone who grew up in a Welsh mining valley or a Pennine mill-town would be able to tell you ... some of the first-day at work ritual humiliations were pretty grotesque ...

[Ultra confused]

I have no idea how Cameron and his pals obtained the alleged pig's head but I have visions (or rather I wish I didn't) of something happening at a top table of a banquet with one of those medieval style pig's heads with an apple in its mouth -- or is it an apple?

[Ultra confused]

I think it's disgusting. Just as disgusting as voting Conservative in the first place ...

Still less becoming a Tory PM ...

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

I happen to think this story is completely false, but if one wanted to buy a pig's head wouldn't one simply go to one's butcher?
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this is ruined for me! Perhaps the BBC should have it as part of this year's Nine Lessons and Carols.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r7adETaOYiQ

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Working class South Walian rugby clubs often have grim initiation ceremonies. My brother is something of a performance poet - using South Walian vernacular. One of his pieces is called 'Bollocky Bullrush Time' and describes the practice of running naked over the mountain from one valley to the next with a bull-rush clenched between one's buttocks.

In one of the villages he's lived in the initiation ceremony to progress from the youth team to the local rugby club was to 'ride the village bike' - the 60+ year old woman who ran the village cafe. Walking home one evening, my brother spotted - to his surprise - through the undrawn curtains of her terraced cottage (whose door opens straight out onto the street) a 17 year old lad of his acquaintance doing just that.

You could not make it up. And really, you don't want me to tell you how Cocky Morgan got his name ... ('Wannoo see my cucumber?')

I'm not relaying any of this to let snooty rich kids off the hook - and believe you me, I've heard enough about posh public school initiation ceremonies from those who endured them ...

[Eek!]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You don't get many butchers on council estates.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find it deeply depressing. We all do stupid things when young, and groups of young men fuelled by alcohol are hardly going to behave like saints, but it could hardly have been a more vindictive and better timed piece of nastiness, if true (an old friend of his was on the radio last night saying it was the first he'd ever heard of it). It ensured that amongst most people the prime minister is now a laughing stock, except in the Middle East/Israel, where he'll be regarded with disgust as being beyond the pale.

Everyone did stupid stuff when they were young. But there’s stupid and then there’s WTF? When most of us talk about our youthful indiscretions, they usually involve bad hair, terrible clothes, dodgy music, too much cheap beer or wine and, maybe, shagging the wrong people. Not sexual acts with dead pigs. There is no way you can normalise this. Although the press that got outraged because a man didn’t sing a song is giving it a good go.

The fact that the whole thing may not be true is irrelevant. The fact that most people believe it’s something Cameron would do is. This will haunt him until the end of his days. Oink.

Shame the noise has managed to distract the media from the various shit things the government has done in the last few days. Like abolishing free school meals for some children.

Cameron’s nickname is ham face. The delicious irony of it all …

Anyone else going to be re-watching Black Mirror over the weekend?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
You don't get many butchers on council estates.

Council estates tend to be attached to towns that have them, though?
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
The fact that the whole thing may not be true is irrelevant.

Brilliant.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

We believe he personally controls his twitter account at all times do we ? And decided to insult one of the few mps on his side ? Or perhaps a staffer, clicked before thinking and then rapidly deleted it.
'Controls', no, but I think he (and every other politician) should accept responsibility for the Twitter feeds that they know are running in their names, with their permission/authority. If Joe Bloggs from Nuneaton or Widget and Flange Limited ran twitter feeds, I think people would expect them to be held responsible for what happens in their names, and to say something slightly better than "oops" when they get something very wrong (you know, perhaps one of those apology thingies). It seems that politicians are held to a much lower standard than anyone else regarding such things - we just don't expect them to be truthful.

Perhaps they should be prepared to say, "I endorse this Twitter feed", or stop pretending it's something to do with them, until it goes wrong.

I had hoped for something slightly better from Corbyn - he is, at least, not from the same "smug git" mould as so many politicians (plenty to go round). But it seems his behaviour isn't going to be any better.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No - only in politics.....

....and will you all please note that 'wierd' is correctly spelled 'weird'?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugger - cross-posted......I meant that butchers were to be found in politics.....

...but a plague on all their houses, anyway - smarmy gits (politicians, that is).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Anglican't, various studies have shown that poorer people in social-housing tend to have more expensive food-bills than middle-class people who have better access to shops selling healthy food and so on.

It's not just an economic issue - it's got a lot to do with education and expectations and so on. My wife works in a primary school on the edge of a large council estate and although the intake is pretty mixed - there are lots of private houses close by too - but malnutrition is not unknown. The teachers are forever rustling up food for kids who're not being fed properly at home.

If you go up to Easterhouse in Glasgow and to the larger 'sink-estates' in many British cities then the problem is even more acute.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016