homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Congressional Politics is becoming very interesting

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Congressional Politics is becoming very interesting
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaker John Boehner is resigning as Speaker of the House and will retire from Congress by the end of October. I was just listening to his conference. He seemed very happy and relaxed explaining his decision.

Now what happens? Unlike the parliamentary system the Speaker of the House is elected by the full house. Every congressional member has a vote.

You would think, though, that since the Republicans have the majority of the House, they will likely be electing a Republican.

But think again. The House Republican Conference is very divided between the TEA Party and the Republican establishment. The TEA Party does not have enough votes to elect one of their own. The establishment does not either.

There could be a chance though if the Republicans cannot vote one of their own in, the Republican establishment could vote for (GASP) Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi could become a coalition Speaker of the House.

Boehner has endorsed Kevin McCarthy of California. If McCarthy cannot get the vote on the first ballot, look for Pelosi to make her move.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's nice thought, but I think the Tea Party and the mainstream Republicans will discover that they actually can compromise to pick some Republican, any Republican, rather than choose a Democrat, any Democrat. It's a pity. Nancy Pelosi might be able to bring about some actual progress.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
There could be a chance though if the Republicans cannot vote one of their own in, the Republican establishment could vote for (GASP) Nancy Pelosi.

[Killing me]

Whew. . . gotta catch my breath for a second. Ok.

[Killing me]

What's the old line from Dumb and Dumber?

quote:
Lloyd: What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: [Gulps] You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like... one out of a million.

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...the Republican establishment could vote for (GASP) Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi could become a coalition Speaker of the House.

And Louis Farrakhan could then jump into the Dim's primary, trounce Hillary, and become the first Muslim POTUS!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we could get an establishment Republican with the good sense to make deals with the Democrats, it would sure make me happy, and I'd think it should make nonTP Republicans happier too. Boehner is doing it with his last deal now, but of course he can only do that because he's headed out. I haven't a clue what the odds of getting a deal-making Republican are though. I'm guessing it's a real possibility that won't happen.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

...the Republican establishment could vote for (GASP) Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi could become a coalition Speaker of the House.

And Louis Farrakhan could then jump into the Dim's primary, trounce Hillary, and become the first Muslim POTUS!
Hah! I can tell you're joking, romanlion - everyone knows he'd be the second Muslim POTUS.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Nancy's already been Speaker, so they'd know what they were getting (whatever they thought of that).

I'm no fan of Boehner. But AIUI he helped keep the more radical Tea Party folks in check. What happens with them when he leaves?

Another possible gov't shutdown is coming up. [Mad] I wonder how this will affect that?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Another possible gov't shutdown is coming up. [Mad]

Again? I guess that will mean millions of ordinary American citizens suffering so that the Republicans snub Obama.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. And I wouldn't be surprised if people audition for the speakership by attacking O. as fiercely and irrationally as they can.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Government shudown?

I've read similar comments elsewhere. Are they on to something or is this a kind of whistling in the dark?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit it is a VERY LONG shot for Pelosi to regain the seat as Speaker. If it would happen though, it would be the first time in history that there would be a coalition chair.

Boehner's downfall was that he had to reach across the aisle to get some critical bills passed. He had originally said he would not do that.

I wonder if McConnell will also be forced to step down. Cruz and Rubio both would like to force him out. The funny thing is, McConnell is listed as a TEA Party Caucus Member by Wiki.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Boehner's downfall was that he had to reach across the aisle to get some critical bills passed. He had originally said he would not do that.

That's true from what I've read but it paints a disastrously accurate picture of the extent of polarisation in US political life.

Since when has cross floor co-operation over critical legislation been taken as a sign of weakness? It's almost as though co-operation at any level with the Obama administration has become categorised as a Mortal (shock-horror) Sin.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Since when has cross floor co-operation over critical legislation been taken as a sign of weakness? It's almost as though co-operation at any level with the Obama administration has become categorised as a Mortal (shock-horror) Sin.

This has been the explicit, stated goal of the GOP since Obama's election. And it's very useful to their narrative-- not only the narrative that Obama is bad/evil/secret Muslim-- but also the narrative that the central government is inefficient, ineffectual costly, and oppressive (somehow they have managed to maintain the narrative that the government both can't do anything and that it is able to spin complex conspiracy-webs of oppressive manipulation of every level of American life). It's a marvelous plot of self-fulfilling prophesy, actually-- they say the government is ineffectual and then go about proving their point. There are numerous high points in this elaborate bit of street theater, but I still favor the classics.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I think it was publicly implicit until McConnell made it publicly explicit about half way through President Obama's first term.

What I was getting at it that the GOP appears to have become "The Party of No" relatively recently, seemingly in in response to Obama's election and policies. If polarisation had been increasing before that, it appears to have reached its nadir in the last 7 years.

It may be that the first duty of the opposition is to oppose. But it isn't its only duty.

[ 26. September 2015, 17:00: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are opposing in direct conflict with the health of the entire nation.

In the last shut down, they managed to permanently kill the local WIC outlet, which provides food and other essentials to impoverished parents and children. Several Head Starts had to temporarily shut down, depriving parents and children of childcare and teachers of a paycheck. They have no problem casting aside the most vulnerable people in our society just to keep up their petulant, openly stated agenda to oppose Obama at every turn.

If they were parents and the nation were their kids, they would be in jail for willful neglect.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
They are opposing in direct conflict with the health of the entire nation.

In the last shut down, they managed to permanently kill the local WIC outlet, which provides food and other essentials to impoverished parents and children. Several Head Starts had to temporarily shut down, depriving parents and children of childcare and teachers of a paycheck. They have no problem casting aside the most vulnerable people in our society just to keep up their petulant, openly stated agenda to oppose Obama at every turn.

This happened in our community as well-- with less than 1 week notice. So, if you're a lower-income parent receiving WIC benefits, you'll be maligned by the GOP if you don't have a job. But if you're lucky enough to get a minimum wage job with hours that work around the very limited child care available thru Head Start, your boss will be totally justified in laying you off when you have to miss work suddenly when your child care disappears w/o notice.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The general story on the Speaker's resignation has been that (1) he had been working on getting the Pope to address a joint session for most of his career, and nothing was going to top that, and (2) resigning was going to give him free reign to introduce a government funding resolution that funded Planned Parenthood which would pass. So I would be shocked if the government shuts down next week. Not as shocked as I would be if Ms. Pelosi became the next Speaker, I will give you that, but shocked nonetheless.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

You are right, Og. There is nothing more that can top the Speaker's job than to get the Pope to speak at a joint session of congress.

And, now, as you say he will have free reign to get a continuing resolution passed that will fund the government for at least the next year. He has no more skin to lose. Go for broke. And go out victorious. He no longer has to appease the TEA people.

Liked how he went into his news conference singing Zippity Do Da. He ended with it too. Mike drop.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping a few more politicians are inspired by the Pope's visit to resign.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

@ Kelly Alves and cliffdweller

That's a story I didn't know. Studied indifference is one thing, active and purposeful demolition quite another.

Time for more Tom Joads in the USA? Here's the quote I'm thinking of from "Grapes of Wrath".

quote:
"I'll be all aroun' in the dark," Tom says. "I'll be ever'where — wherever you look. Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there."
Turning one's back on hungry children has long term temporal consequences and even longer term, one might say eternal, consequences. Like "Depart from me, I never knew you".

Reaching back to that "active and purposeful demolition" link; I find it heartbreaking to find these attitudes and this determination in the hearts and minds of many within the GOP who, at least ostensibly, proclaim their Christian faith.

Support for these humanitarian programmes arose out of the evils of suffering and neglect in "The Grapes of Wrath" era. There is such blindness in this implacable opposition.

[ 27. September 2015, 08:11: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Turning one's back on hungry children has long term temporal consequences and even longer term, one might say eternal, consequences. Like "Depart from me, I never knew you".

Back when it was happening, I went to a .gov website that listed all the "nonessential programs" that got cut during the shutdown. I actually cried. Anything having to do with kids was gutted.

I have trouble believing that the people who decided this believe in God at all-- especially the kind of God who they have to look in the face someday.

And yes--Tom Joad, be our Golem. That link was infuriating.

[ 27. September 2015, 17:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They have to make the cuts that will upset people the most so that they will eventually get their demands met. Someone wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper a week or so ago asking why Congress doesn't cut their own salaries to save money. If they did that, the people would say "Fine by me," but when they cut programs that people care about, such as feeding starving kids, they get their way very quickly. It's known as emotional blackmail.
[Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Someone wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper a week or so ago asking why Congress doesn't cut their own salaries to save money.

That someone showed profound ignorance of the amount of money congress spends, borrows, and owes.

Are you people serious? Crying because of a shutdown?

It's happened 15 or 20 times in my life and I swear I never noticed.

Starving kids? Are we talking about the United States here?

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Wikipedia article on "Hunger in the U.S.". It reports that in 2011, the rate of "food insecurity" was 14.9%. As for starvation, I used Google and quickly found two estimates (on "Quora"). One stated that there are about 100 deaths per year from starvation, mostly children whose parents didn't feed them. The other statements was that there are 2 or 3 thousand such deaths, mostly among the elderly. Apparently there is no one actually counting.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Someone wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper a week or so ago asking why Congress doesn't cut their own salaries to save money.

That someone showed profound ignorance of the amount of money congress spends, borrows, and owes.

Are you people serious? Crying because of a shutdown?

It's happened 15 or 20 times in my life and I swear I never noticed.

Starving kids? Are we talking about the United States here?

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Really? You doubt it? Come over to our neighborhood, where our church is helping feed those kids that got their WIC benefits cut off during the last shutdown. Come watch those kids whose parents had to figure out what to do, how to keep their minimum-wage jobs when the Head Start program meeting in our church was closed with only a few days notice.

Yes, when the government is shut down the wealthiest people don't even notice. They've got some pretty fat cushions they're sitting on, which makes it real easy for them to make these sorts of decisions.

But yes, when the government is shut down there IS real pain, to REAL people, including not a few very REAL kids. I know some of their names.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Being a contract sub kind of makes me a Head Start whore; I know all of San Francisco's schools, many of the Peninsula's, and many, many of their names-- kids, parents, and staff. And I am honored to shed a tear for them.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was once, a long time ago, when our politicians could be relied upon to be the adults in the room. When the public yelled for blood, they urged caution; when the public whined about how much some program or another cost they would mention the long-term good to be achieved by investing in pre-school ed/feeding the hungry/inoculating for polio. No more. Our politicians are brats.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
They have to make the cuts that will upset people the most so that they will eventually get their demands met. Someone wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper a week or so ago asking why Congress doesn't cut their own salaries to save money. If they did that, the people would say "Fine by me," but when they cut programs that people care about, such as feeding starving kids, they get their way very quickly. It's known as emotional blackmail.
[Mad]

So, it's the equivalent of the movie bad guy picking up a kid and using them for a human shield during a getaway.

Again-- all this posturing about traditional Christian values. Traditionsl Christianity presumes a universal day of judgement. How in the hell can you claim you believe in that while taking bread out of the mouths of children? Or incapacitating their parents to the point that they can't provide for them?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some touchingly-naive congressperson proposed a law the other day forbidding congressmen to be paid in the event of a shutdown. Since this law has to be passed by, yes, congressmen, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that it will become law.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There was once, a long time ago, when our politicians could be relied upon to be the adults in the room. When the public yelled for blood, they urged caution; when the public whined about how much some program or another cost they would mention the long-term good to be achieved by investing in pre-school ed/feeding the hungry/inoculating for polio. No more. Our politicians are brats.

On both sides of the Atlantic. And, those who do wish to stand apart from the baying mob and call us to a better society get called "unelectable" and "extremists".

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
It's nice thought, but I think the Tea Party and the mainstream Republicans will discover that they actually can compromise to pick some Republican, any Republican, rather than choose a Democrat, any Democrat. It's a pity. Nancy Pelosi might be able to bring about some actual progress.

No Republican would vote for Pelosi for Speaker. But Pelosi could put Democratic support behind a moderate Republican who agreed to run the House in a more bipartisan manner, who could then win even without the far-right GOP members' votes, which would then completely neutralize the Tea Party.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Aside from the fact that Congressional salaries are an incredibly small part of the Federal budget (making such cuts more symbolic than effective) it would be unconstitutional to do so. Congress can neither raise or lower its own salary. It can only raise or lower the salary of the next Congress. So any cuts to Congressional salaries would not take effect until January 2017, when the next Congress is seated.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is also the point that 90 percent of congresspersons are millionaires. They could not care less about their salaries. The people who take the hit are their staffers, who are ordinary wage slaves and cannot afford a halt in the income stream.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And despite all the contamination attempted by massive campaign contributions, gerrymandering, and voter I.D. laws, these brats are elected and re-elected by The American People. Down there in Mexico the ex-pat Morris Berman, who predicted it all, is laughing.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't resist quoting what Berman wrote recently on his blog:
quote:

Thing is, civilizational collapse is not an abstract concept; it's made up of real events and real historical actors. Progs can't believe Trump is being so successful, politically speaking, because he's vile, and a bigot, and a boor, and has an absurd haircut (equivalent of Hitler's moustache, I suppose). Again, the typical prog case of not understanding your audience (wh/Trump does). History is hardly clean and sensible: this *is* what self-destruction looks like. Obama, of course, is another (milder) version of self-destruction, but we are way past the days of lofty speeches and chic suits (which is why Ben Carson hasn't a prayer). As we enter the Final Phase, blunt violence will appeal to more and more Americans. I'm old enuf to recall a time when I was a deluded prog, and I and all of my prog friends said: "Can you imagine it? President Nixon??!!" It was as outlandish a concept as "President Trump" is to present-day progs. And then, we woke up on a Wednesday morning in 1968, and he *was* President Nixon.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I do not suppose people have seen the cartoon South Park? The newest episode is about President Trump, who becomes president of Canada (mainly because South Park is about Canada). The bewildered Canadians confide that they thought it was all a joke, until one day they woke up and it was real.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Freely associating with The West Wing (Donna Moss from Wisconsin was reclassified Canadian in one episode) I've just rewatched Shutdown from Series 5. Shorn of its rather good confrontation between the President and the Speaker of the House, it did occur to me that fact and fiction were not that far apart.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not suppose people have seen the cartoon South Park? The newest episode is about President Trump, who becomes president of Canada (mainly because South Park is about Canada). The bewildered Canadians confide that they thought it was all a joke, until one day they woke up and it was real.

South Park is about South Park, Colorado. They just rip on the Canadians for some reason, like for existing, or something like that.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is becoming interestinger every day ...

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You ain't just whistling Dixie. The poor House Repubs, one must pity them.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Washington Post:

quote:
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Thursday abruptly dropped out of the race to replace John Boehner for speaker, a stunning move that further complicates an already chaotic House leadership contest.

McCarthy announced his decision at a meeting of House Republicans who had gathered to select their choice for speaker ahead of the official floor vote scheduled for Oct. 29.

<snip>

Several Republicans leaving the meeting, including moderate Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), said it’s unclear who will emerge as the leading candidate for speaker. Boehner is slated to step down on Oct. 30 and the House floor vote is scheduled for Oct. 29.

At this point the only thing that's surprising to me is that people are still surprised that no one wants the headache of running the circus that is the Republican House Caucus.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Since the party is deadlocked on who can get enough votes for Speakership, Boehner has one of two options.

1) He can stay on as Speaker until a new one is elected or until the next congressional election; or

2) He can hand over the reins to the Speaker pro tempore which is usually the House Majority Leader but I do not think that is going to go anywhere.

This will not be an easy hand over of power. Look for the deadlock to last a long while.

But this gives the Democrats hope in that it shows the Republicans are unable to govern.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Talk about a poisoned chalice!

The message to the GOP establishment, both from this shambles and the Trump bullshit, couldn't really be clearer. Don't pander to lunatics, elected or otherwise. For if you do, see what you get. Mind you, I'm not sure if there is a GOP establishment any more.

Ole Abe must be turning in his grave.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<bump>

Just bumping the thread to point out that Paul Ryan -- “I cannot and will not give up my family time.” -- isn't being told to "lean in". When a man says he won't give up time with his family, he's a good husband, a good father, and a good negotiator. When a woman says the same thing, she's not taking her job seriously, she's unreliable, lacks commitment, doesn't have her priorities straight, and she certainly shouldn't expect to get a raise or be promoted ...

Can you imagine the squawks if Nancy Pelosi had said the same thing?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

It looks like he'll get the House Speaker job. A man whose values are, on his own admission, Ayn-Rand-based. "Very interesting" might be an understatement about the immediate future of Congressional Politics.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
When a woman says the same thing, she's not taking her job seriously, she's unreliable, lacks commitment, doesn't have her priorities straight, and she certainly shouldn't expect to get a raise or be promoted ...

And it's probably "that time of month."
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend thinks The Donald and Clinton made a deal - he said the two met before Trump announced he was running. The friend said Trump started out wildly talking extremes, but he's recently pulled back, maybe his poll numbers are much higher than expected, and now he's thinking maybe he will run seriously?

One person's speculation.

Interesting political year.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Looks like Boehner will leave something behind that will be impressive--a budget deal that will keep the government running until after January 2017. It will be a bipartisan deal which means everyone had to compromise. This is very rare in Washington these days.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

A good way to go out.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016