homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Brueggermann

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Brueggermann
simwel

praying fool
# 12214

- Posted      Profile for simwel   Email simwel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not read any of his books. Could shipmates give me a steer as to where to start and which of his works is the most accessible
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brueggermann is a theologian and preacher as well as a Bible scholar. I think this thread would do better in Purg.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a start, he's Brueggemann, not Brueggermann, which might help you search for him. Ι've benefited from a lot of his work, even if I find him unduly negative about the potential to be "surprised by grace" in contemporary culture (he's more into lamenting and denouncing).

His Prophetic Imagination is probably the best introduction to his ideas in general, but if you're more interested in getting to know him through seeing him interact with a particular book of scripture then I'd recommend his commentary on Genesis in the Interpretation series, or Message of the Psalms (ahead of his Psalms commentary)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His stuff on the Psalms is cracking. Read that.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just read his 'Great Prayers of OT' - not his best but it coiuld revolutionise the way we understand prayer.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simwel,
It does depend on why you are reading Brueggemann. His better work does tend to be of a fairly academic nature so it tends not to be light reading. His thinner works tend to lack the evident scholarship that give the other works 'weight'. He is never going to be another Henri Nouwen.

The first book I read was 'The Land'. I would say it is accessible in that it has a single theme viewed from a bunch of standpoints. I had to write a critique for college so I had to go looking for flaws. I came away thinking it was pretty good actually and develops his ideas in some interesting ways.

'Theology of the Old Testament'* is definitely one for the scholars, the insomniacs and the lonely.

3F

[Spelling error]

* or The Bumper Book of Old Testament FUN!!' as we called it a college.

[ 24. October 2015, 19:21: Message edited by: 3rdFooter ]

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016