homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Protestant at a Catholic school? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Protestant at a Catholic school?
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
In my experience it depends on the individual school.When we were looking at schools for my childrne the local RC school didn't taken non RC children

you may be best going to see and talking to the school.

If the OP comes from England or Wales (still a shared legal basis for education, though not for much longer), then RC state schools are not allowed to exclude non-Catholics. They can give preference to RC children, but are generally required to allow high-priority children (those 'looked after', those with special needs, etc.) admission first. I believe that even academies and 'free schools' [Projectile] , along with academically selective schools, have to follow similar requirements.

yes but the original question was about a non RC voluntarily choosing a RC school not about statutory requirements
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I don't know what the policy is in my city, but the impression I get with RC schools (as well as CofE schools) in the country generally is that demand at least partially drives the selection policy.

What this means is that where there is a high demand for places among RCs religious requirements appear to come into play for prospective pupils. When the demand comes mostly from non-Catholics, a school may end up with a largely non-Catholic, and even a non-Christian, intake. This is my experience, anyway.

It would be interesting to know if and how the arrival of lots of Polish RC families in a good number of British towns and cities has modified the selection policies of the RC schools there.

Where we used to live, it has meant that the schools have become more Catholic as the number of places remains the same but the demand is higher. The church schools have always asked for a reference from the local priest, but it has meant that to get a good one, you're expected to do more in the church than just turn up. From what I gather, this has hit the British families harder as the Eastern Europeans are more actively involved.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is interesting. Do the British families grumble openly about this?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of Aberdeen's Roman Catholic primary schools had a bi-lingual English / Polish webpage for a while. They've gone back to having an English only website, but AFAIK, they are the school with the highest proportion of pupils who speak English as a second (or third) language in the city.

I can't imagine why anyone would grumble about this, but, as Forthview has described, the system is different in Scotland.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I meant was that Brits might 'grumble' because they're finding it harder to get their children into a good RC school due to the greater religious commitment of Polish parents.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cherubim
Apprentice
# 18514

- Posted      Profile for Cherubim         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm neither Catholic nor Protestant, but I see no reason why Catholics should worry about Protestant kids attending school, nor should Protestants worry about sending their kids to a Catholic school, and vice versa.

From what I've observed over the years, religious differences in denominations has less to do with doctrinal differences as much as our own spiritual needs to express our experience of God. People are attracted to tribal groups and always will be, and tribes like to stamp out their own ground with dogma, but all that matters is that those of us who believe in God are able to find a way to express that. For some it's one tribe, for another a different tribe. To God dogma and tradition are unimportant. Dogma and tradition are only important to those who are tribal.

Those within tribes who aren't bothered by others who belong to different tribes are blessed. Those who want others to urgently come over to their tribe are cursed.

When it comes to education, whether in Catholic, Protestant or State schools, we are still at the bottom of international league tables, kids still are leaving the education system unable to read, write, make sense of maths, apply for a job, have a good work ethic, manners, and be ready for the adult world. The problem isn't with the schools that the tribes have, the problem is with a flawed education system and teachers who can't teach.

We have a lot to learn from Eastern European parenting.

Posts: 10 | From: Charlton | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016