homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Banning the Lord's Prayer - daft, illegal, or sinister? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Banning the Lord's Prayer - daft, illegal, or sinister?
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't go to the cinema, and therefore do not see their adverts, so all I would add to the question of whether this particular ad should be shown or not is that all other ads have an actual product or service available to buy or find out facts about, and the prayer ad....? Hmmm, well, no!! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Quartet:
I'm disappointed by the live prayer bit of the site, since it's unmoderated and full of hate speech and so on.

I think it's hilarious - religious nuts interspersed with haters, heartfelt prayers and photos of kittens!

I wonder how long they will let it run?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
The word God is not a shibboleth,

No, but "Merry Christmas" is, in this country. [Disappointed]
I overheard an interesting conversation at the (secular) asylum-seeker centre this morning.

The woman on the desk was inviting a Muslim mother with a little boy to the centre's Christmas party, and asking the mum what he would like as a present from under the tree eg car, football (yes, I know, gender stereotype...).

When the mother replied that he would like a toy gun, she was gently "corrected"!

What I found rally interesting, however, was the blithely unashamed reference to Christmas.

I asked the reception woman about it after the mother left, and she told me that no-one had any problem with it, despite the centre's clientele's being at least 90% Muslim.

Two stereotypes bust there, then: (i) Muslims likely to be offended by references to Christmas (which has never, IME, had any foundation) (ii), slightly worryingly, asylum seekers are all sick of conflict and have seen quite enough guns and other weapons, than you very much. (Tho' O can't remember where you're from, KC- if you're in one of a certain number of US states, perhaps this was just evidence of how quickly the family were integrating into their host community...)

[ 23. November 2015, 05:37: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair enough about the use of the word "banning". It's in the thread title and in much media use but that doesn't make it accurate.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SusanDoris: I don't go to the cinema, and therefore do not see their adverts, so all I would add to the question of whether this particular ad should be shown or not is that all other ads have an actual product or service available to buy or find out facts about, and the prayer ad....? Hmmm, well, no!! [Smile]
[Killing me]

I know that "things are only true if they can be measured" is your bullshit hobby horse but come on, adverts? "Buy our stuff and you will be happy" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
can't remember where you're from, KC- if you're in one of a certain number of US states, perhaps this was just evidence of how quickly the family were integrating into their host community...)

Australia actually, but close, because there is only the Pacific between us.
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a great missional opportunity. Open excuse to ask people what they think of the Lord's pray, have they every prayed it, do they ever pray, who to (sos, that should have been whom to...).
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What has the Sex Pistols and the C of E got in Common?

Apparently, according to the local commercial radio scrub "It is not Christmas until the coca cola comes to town." and the Lord's Prayer gets banned. Awesome.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
It's a great missional opportunity. Open excuse to ask people what they think of the Lord's pray, have they every prayed it, do they ever pray, who to (sos, that should have been whom to...).

What is? The advert or the controversy?

If the former, I can just see me clambering out of my seat as the opening scenes of Star Wars roll with my impacted cinemagoing neighbour to some makeshift "inquiry room"... I bet I could get just as good a conversation out of the film itself for no outlay by the Church.

If the latter, this is fuel to the conspiracy theory that the whole thing is a stunt designed to be rejected anyway, which hardly goes along with the apostle Paul's injunction not to use deceptive means when preaching the Gospel.

[ 23. November 2015, 08:31: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might have been better just to survey public opinion about just how annoying cinema advertising is. Trailers for upcoming movies - that's fine unless they show more than 5! Anything else - just time wasting and/or irritating. I'd lay strong odds that would be a big majority opinion.

BTW SusanDoris, advertisers sell dreams which they claim their products meet. It's a fantasy world. Given your world view I would have thought you would see prayer fitting in very well. [Biased]

[ 23. November 2015, 08:34: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
As has been sais, you'd think they'd have checked the media owner's policy before makingbthe ad. Perhaps they weren't told, but it does seem an oversight - particularly as there'd be terms and conditions available.

DCM's advertising policy is just two clicks from their home page - you can get there via the link at the bottom marked "Advertising Policy". From which:
quote:
2. Required Standards
2.1 To be approved, an Advertisement must:
2.1.1 have been cleared as compliant with the UK Code of Non-Broadcast Advertising;
2.1.2 have received any necessary classification (for example a film classification for age rating);
2.1.3 not in the reasonable opinion of DCM constitute Political or Religious Advertising; and
2.1.4 otherwise comply with DCM’s Terms and Conditions (effective from 1 January 2015), as published on DCM’s website (http://www.dcm.co.uk/).
2.2 For the purposes of clause 2.1.3 above, Political or Religious Advertising means:
2.2.1 political advertising for the purposes of section 321 of the Communications Act 2003; or
2.2.2 advertising which wholly or partly advertises any religion, faith or equivalent systems of belief (including any absence of belief) or any part of any religion, faith or such equivalent systems of belief.

I'm more embarassed at the lack of common sense shown in not checking that an ad like that would be shown in cinemas before spending the time and money creating one. The policy's pretty clear.

It's certainly not typical of the ads you see now - other movies, competitions, products and reminders to turn your phone off / not steal movies.

Vanity project then. [Big Grin]

Tubbs

[ 23. November 2015, 08:37: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you can't have it and not have it. How would you feel if you sat down in the cinema and heard the Call to Prayer as part of some effort to convert people to Islam or awaken latent Muslims? I'm not sure there's anything wrong with religious groups advertising in cinema's, provide they obey the same regulations as everyone else. I don't remember there being a big flap about Bear Grylls' cinema ad for the Alpha Course, about 10 years ago or so; does anyone remember any protestations about that?

K.

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

What is? The advert or the controversy?

If the former, I can just see me clambering out of my seat as the opening scenes of Star Wars roll with my impacted cinemagoing neighbour to some makeshift "inquiry room"... I bet I could get just as good a conversation out of the film itself for no outlay by the Church.

If the latter, this is fuel to the conspiracy theory that the whole thing is a stunt designed to be rejected anyway, which hardly goes along with the apostle Paul's injunction not to use deceptive means when preaching the Gospel.

It's both me ol' son. Shouldn't be too hard to start a casual conversation about the Gospel on the back of national news about prayer.
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking for forgiveness; I blame autocorrect for the rogue apostrophe in my previous post.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
can't remember where you're from, KC- if you're in one of a certain number of US states, perhaps this was just evidence of how quickly the family were integrating into their host community...)

Australia actually, but close, because there is only the Pacific between us.
Apologies. Very wide of the mark, geographically and culturally.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Shouldn't be too hard to start a casual conversation about the Gospel on the back of national news about prayer.

This is only national "news" because the ad has been rejected and Christians are crying foul, after Church time and money has been unwisely spent, as Tubbs points out.

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with religious groups advertising in cinema's, provide they obey the same regulations as everyone else.

The "big flap" is because the ad has fallen foul of the cinema owners' guidelines.

As already stated, the Alpha ad is marginally more acceptable to my mind because it's basically advertising a product - the Alpha course. It must have passed whatever guidelines were in place where it was put out.

I have no problem of principle with religious ads of all stripes provided everyone gets to play by the same rules, and indeed in places where religions have more of a place in public life that's pretty much what happens (although probably not in such a cringingly inappropriate and probably ineffective way).

The underlying problem here is how a historic state church comes to terms with a pluralistic, secular society; the answer in this case appears to be "not very well".

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gobsmacked that the powers-that-be didn't check what would be allowed before spending shedloads on a professional ad.

I'm not surprised its been turned down, and anyone with half a brain would have seen it coming: after all, if you can show an ad with the Lord's Prayer then you have nothing to say when asked to do the same for other religions or belief systems.

In any case, the chances of any such ad attracting more than either ridicule or boredom were going to be slight: Justin ought to get some sensible PR advice, not go with this type of cringe-making nonsense.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by L'organist:
quote:

In any case, the chances of any such ad attracting more than either ridicule or boredom were going to be slight: Justin ought to get some sensible PR advice, not go with this type of cringe-making nonsense.

I quite agree. It's not that I want to kick when they're down, but the advert sucks. It looks like it's been cobbled together in a hurry to have an advert of people saying the Lord's Prayer and nothing else. It could have been a good bit more creative and thoughtful. The app also doesn't really do what it says. It's more like a huge prayer sticky wall a la Facebook, complete with all those intensely irritating 'inspirational' quotes that are actually vacuous drivel. We can keep the kittens though, I like the kittens.

On the other hand, there is something slightly incongruous about having films like the Passion of Christ and the Lord's Prayer as a number one Christmas single and nobody complaining....except those that probably quite rightly felt that both movie and single were crap.

*Edited to add
I feel strangely conflicted about the need to pay to have an advertisement made to pedal religion in the same way we pedal all that other junk none of us actually needs.

[ 23. November 2015, 09:49: Message edited by: fletcher christian ]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
On the other hand, there is something slightly incongruous about having films like the Passion of Christ and the Lord's Prayer as a number one Christmas single and nobody complaining....except those that probably quite rightly felt that both movie and single were crap.

It's only incongruous if you're stuck in a mindset that you're living in a Christian country and not a pluralistic, secular one.

Christian-inspired material getting airtime because people have paid for it is a world away from involuntarily having to sit through an advert paid for by the institution itself in the hope of rallying you to its cause.

[ 23. November 2015, 09:52: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I said 'slightly', so don't be getting your projections in a twist.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I'm gobsmacked that the powers-that-be didn't check what would be allowed before spending shedloads on a professional ad.

According to Bishop Stephen Cotterrell, the DID check but the goalposts have moved.

Ther HAVE shown political ads. in the past e.g. the Scottish referendum campaign.

A spokesman from the British Humanist Association thought that the ad. should go ahead - like their 'There is no god...'

And in repose to an earlier post, no we don't get the national anthem any more - it was always my cue to walk out.

A much bigger issue is that cinemas are often places of spirituality as movies often deal with the big questions.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

According to Bishop Stephen Cotterrell, the DID check but the goalposts have moved.

Ther HAVE shown political ads. in the past e.g. the Scottish referendum campaign.

A spokesman from the British Humanist Association thought that the ad. should go ahead - like their 'There is no god...'

And in repose to an earlier post, no we don't get the national anthem any more - it was always my cue to walk out.

A much bigger issue is that cinemas are often places of spirituality as movies often deal with the big questions.

It would be interesting to know when they checked as the pdf says the policy is effective from 1 January 2015 and it's now November 2015.

The Scottish Referendum was before the new policy came into effect. And the arguement that they used to do it is rather weak.

Tubbs

[ 23. November 2015, 11:20: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It might have been better just to survey public opinion about just how annoying cinema advertising is. Trailers for upcoming movies - that's fine unless they show more than 5! Anything else - just time wasting and/or irritating. I'd lay strong odds that would be a big majority opinion.

Years ago, a friend taught me a cinema ad game. You look for the letter 'A' in an ad, then the letter 'B', and so on. Printed letters only.

It's an excellent way to pass the time instead of just being irritated by the ads.

Getting to the end of the alphabet is quite a challenge. It always worked better at the cinemas in Manuka. Partly because of the 'K' in Manuka, partly because there are a lot of jewellery stores in the area.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The Lord's prayer does pretty well in supplying Ks, but unless I'm missing something there's a woeful shortage of Qs, Xs and Zs. Perhaps something in Hebrew...?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I wonder if there's a Heaven thread in that?

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Has he produced any evidence of this?
quote:

So there are things you find too objectionable to sit through. Why is it so hard to believe that others might object to having to sit through someone else's religious practices?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cotterrell says the powers-that-be were contacted in the spring, and they were helpful and even offered the CofE a discount.

The rule about no political and religious adverts was brought in earlier this year, following a number of complaints about adverts from both sides in the Scottish referendum. (Why it took so long is a mystery.

Looks like goalpost moving to me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tubbs: It would be interesting to know when they checked as the pdf says the policy is effective from 1 January 2015 and it's now November 2015.
From my experience, when an organisation announces that a new rule will be in place from a certain date, this doesn't mean that everyone in the organisation necessarily knows about this rule after the date has passed.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I imagine that 'inviting and encouraging people to pray' would make for a very long-winded advert. You wouldn't be able to say much in one minute anyway.

The appeal of the ad, to me, is that it includes a variety of different types of people praying in different contexts, rather than one talking head (and I'm imaging a rather vicarish, Justin Welby-type character) telling us how and why to pray.

As it stands it doesn't belong in a cinema, but an ad in which a Welby lookalike yappers on about prayer would belong there even less.

Why would it have to be long-winded, or have a Welby lookalike yapping about prayer? Take those same people you find compelling and instead of having the viewer watch them pray, let them speak to the camera and finish the sentence "I pray because ____," or "I pray when _____."

"I pray because I'm grateful." "I pray because I need guidance" or "because I need comfort." '"I pray because I want to be closer to God."

Finish with something like "Whatever your reason, just pray."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62

Well, I agree that the Lord's prayer ad would be promoting a dream/fantasy! Mind you, this would put any atheist ad rather at a disadvantage, because it would not attempt to promote belief in a fantasy. [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Tubbs: It would be interesting to know when they checked as the pdf says the policy is effective from 1 January 2015 and it's now November 2015.
From my experience, when an organisation announces that a new rule will be in place from a certain date, this doesn't mean that everyone in the organisation necessarily knows about this rule after the date has passed.
It also depends on who and what you ask.

If you ask a sales question about placing an ad you are likely to be greeted with delight and offered a discount if you're a new customer.

If you ask a compliance question about the policy about placing ads on certain subjects - say religion and politics - you may get another.

Neither of which would be untrue. [Big Grin]

Also, the policy is on the website ... Did no one really think to look or double check?! (This is a retorical question as the answer is obvious!)

Tubbs

[ 23. November 2015, 12:32: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

i find this really interesting. It may be different in other parts of the US, but I rarely see ads in a movie theater, other than trailers, of course. There may be the occasional car or Coca-Cola ad, but that's about it, and they're the same ones you'd see on TV. But they're not common at all, at least in my experience.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got no particular brief for 'establishment' but I'm not sure this is an occasion for pointing out the ineptness of the CofE when - in my experience - all churches of whatever stripe are particularly cack-handed/inept when it comes to trying to engage with contemporary communication techniques and the advertising world.

There have been plenty of non-Anglican or pan-denominational comms efforts that have been pretty shite - think JiM, think 'From Minus to Plus' ...

I admire Truman's sunny optimism in terms of turning a shipwreck into an opportunity to 'gossip the Gospel' but it's still a shipwreck.

I'd be prepared to accept that the CofE comms team were strung along to some extent by the media-owners but the whole enterprise strikes me as misconceived from the outset.

Why cinema ads? They're cheaper than TV ones. They'd also be thinking about the demographic and the targeting - families watching Star Wars in the run up to Christmas ...

To be fair, there's not a great deal you can say about prayer in a minute and within those limitations they've made a reasonable stab at it - but I still ask myself 'why?'

So different types of people pray. So what? We all know that people of faith pray. What's the big deal? I really can't see what this ad is meant to achieve beyond the blindingly obvious - look, Christians are just like you and they pray ...

People know that anyway.

They aren't waiting for a cinema ad to tell them what they already know.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Tubbs: It also depends on who and what you ask.
Yes, very much so. I'm starting to suspect that there was some internal miscommunication within the cinema company involved here.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Tubbs: It also depends on who and what you ask.
Yes, very much so. I'm starting to suspect that there was some internal miscommunication within the cinema company involved here.
Either within the company or with the company and the CofE.

Tubbs

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or all three. Within the company, within the CofE and between the company and the CofE.

That makes a nice, neat Trinitarian formulary of it.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Meanwhile, here is an interesting take on the issue:

http://www.kouya.net/?p=7467

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Operational Success.

More people are talking, writing, tweeting and getting their panties in a wad about prayer than at any time in the last decade.

Communication, working as planned.

Getting is banned was a stroke of genius.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or all three. Within the company, within the CofE and between the company and the CofE.

That makes a nice, neat Trinitarian formulary of it.

But I thought that the Persons of the Trinity always existed in perfect harmony and were in constant communication?

[ 23. November 2015, 13:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:

Andrew Graystone is a good friend and clearly a voice of reason here.

--------------------

argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Operational Success.

More people are talking, writing, tweeting and getting their panties in a wad about prayer than at any time in the last decade.

Communication, working as planned.

Getting is banned was a stroke of genius.

Yes! So maybe not so ill-conceived. And it does seem the Church sought assurances the ad would be acceptable, and received them, only to face a U-turn after the ad was in the can and paid for. So not so naive, more fucked in fact.

Still glad it's not going out though. Not the way to do it.

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

Andrew Graystone is a good friend and clearly a voice of reason here.
The Church Mouse's response is interesting. The policy reads as if it was issued in January 2015, but their comments suggest it may have been later.

Tubbs

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be naive, but I do not understand what part of the Lord's Prayer could be thought to be offensive to people of other faiths. It does not mention Jesus, or Trinitarian doctrine. As has sometimes been pointed out, it is made up of fragments of other Jewish prayers. The problem is clearly, in fact, that the advertising agency was scared of setting a precedent. That said, the ad itself is completely anodyne,and the whole project seems to be fundamentally misconceived. 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' does a better job, at no cost to the C. of E. Now I can't remember if the National Secular Society protested about that . . .
Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
The Church Mouse's response is interesting. The policy reads as if it was issued in January 2015, but their comments suggest it may have been later.

Tubbs

To be honest, that makes zero difference to me. If the CofE media boffins didn't work out between them that a cinema advert about praying was going to be a problem, they should have.

Nobody needed to read the policy/tealeaves to know that.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argona:
Yes! So maybe not so ill-conceived. And it does seem the Church sought assurances the ad would be acceptable, and received them, only to face a U-turn after the ad was in the can and paid for. So not so naive, more fucked in fact.

If it is actually the case that the advertising people changed their mind, then OK, maybe that's an issue.

But still. This was so bone-headingly stupid, I'd have thought that almost anyone could have told the media people at Lambeth Palace that this was going to backfire. I mean, really, did they think that there was going to be a great outpouring of support for the right of the established church to preach to the unsuspecting public at a cinema?

--------------------
arse

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno. If you talk to the company involved and they say "no, there will be no problem, in fact, let us offer you a large discount" then it seems - understandable? excusable? - to think that it might be OK with everybody.

Why should it be any worse to screen a cinema advert about prayer (annoying or otherwise) than to put up an (annoying or otherwise) hoarding on the street?

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
I dunno. If you talk to the company involved and they say "no, there will be no problem, in fact, let us offer you a large discount" then it seems - understandable? excusable? - to think that it might be OK with everybody.

Why should it be any worse to screen a cinema advert about prayer (annoying or otherwise) than to put up an (annoying or otherwise) hoarding on the street?

Because to anyone with an ounce of sense, it is obvious that the next stop will be every-other-religion wanting an advert in a cinema. Only the short-sighted and special pleading nature of the Established church could obscure the obvious problems with this idea.

--------------------
arse

argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

If it is actually the case that the advertising people changed their mind, then OK, maybe that's an issue.

But still. This was so bone-headingly stupid, I'd have thought that almost anyone could have told the media people at Lambeth Palace that this was going to backfire. I mean, really, did they think that there was going to be a great outpouring of support for the right of the established church to preach to the unsuspecting public at a cinema?

Nobody was claiming any 'right' in this. And nobody was preaching. Just praying. To the unsuspecting? Maybe, but when was an unsuspected prayer ever a threat? Tactically, this was probably a bad move I'd agree, but mainly because the most likely reaction would be yours. And, in our place with our limitations, we have to be tactical.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Before this turns into another holier-than-thou 'lets bash the nasty Established CofE fest', did anyone else notice the quote from the Reverend Bazil Meade of the London Community Gospel Choir during his sound-bite interview for the BBC News last night?

"Whoever designed this prayer obviously found... seemed to have found...the language and words that makes one feel as though one is actually talking to God."

[Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Help]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Nobody was claiming any 'right' in this. And nobody was preaching. Just praying. To the unsuspecting? Maybe, but when was an unsuspected prayer ever a threat? Tactically, this was probably a bad move I'd agree, but mainly because the most likely reaction would be yours. And, in our place with our limitations, we have to be tactical.

Right, so you'd be happy to go to the cinema to watch James Bond and have to listen to 60 seconds of a) an Islamic call to prayer b) Tibetan Buddhist prayer chanting or c) a Satanist spell, would you?

No, I didn't think so.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016