homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Turkey shoots down Russian jet (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Turkey shoots down Russian jet
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This makes no sense at all rolyn. I can't even decipher whether you think destabilising Egypt was a good thing or a bad thing, or whether you think we are obligated to support a US intervention, or whether you think we should just leave the whole thing alone.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what I think either TT.
Sometimes I feel like converting to pacifism over this, you know doning a loin cloth and preaching peace in war torn places until someone assassinates me, the end which usually befalls active pacifists.

Die a warrior, die a pacifist or die sitting on the fence, at least with the first two options you get to take the courage of conviction with you.

[ 27. November 2015, 20:18: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting article suggests that neither Turkey nor Russia are being 100% upfront about what happened: Belgian Physicists Calculate that Everyone Is Lying About the Downed Russian Jet.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as the number of warnings possible in the time over Turkish territory (if that was where the aircraft was) then clearly the Turkish authorities issued those warnings as the Russian aircraft approached the Turkish border. It is common sense that unidentified on a course that will enter, or come close to, an nations airspace are challenged and warned, and if the response is inadequate that air defence measures are prepared. It is not reasonable to expect that the Turkish military would only issue a "you're in Turkish airspace" warning, a series of "you are approaching Turkish airspace, please change course" warnings while the aircraft are still a significant distance from the border is only logical. Even a course that would take the aircraft a few km south of the Turkish territory would warrant that sort of warning.

So, I'll have to say that part of the analysis is in error. So, only Physics 2, Turkey 0, Russia 0.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I wrong in assuming that the planes were shot down from the ground?

When we periodically hear about NATO planes being scrambled to intercept Russian "near" to NATO airspace, I guess there is little confusion about who exactly is being challenged and what the message is (you're getting too close, bozo, change course).

But if you are flying fast in a warzone, someone challenges you in a language you don't understand from the ground about an territorial incursion you don't believe you are doing or about to do - I think it is possible that such messages were not considered to be serious threats.

So it seems to me that they both could be telling the truth: Turkey may well have warned the Russian planes, the Russians may not have noticed or considered them to be real threats.

Or they all could be spinning what happened for their national audience, of course.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
But if you are flying fast in a warzone, someone challenges you in a language you don't understand from the ground about an territorial incursion you don't believe you are doing or about to do - I think it is possible that such messages were not considered to be serious threats.

The recordings released by Turkey are in English, which is the international language of aviators. The Russian pilots should have been able to understand the clear instructions to turn south.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The recordings released by Turkey are in English, which is the international language of aviators. The Russian pilots should have been able to understand the clear instructions to turn south.

Ah OK, I hadn't heard them. Though, of course, the international language of aviators does not apply to the military.

Again, though, repeated warnings in the absence of visual contact of planes may have been ignored as not relevant (given the Russians have permission to be in Syria by the government etc).

I'm in no sense making excuses for the Russians, but these claims by Turkey seem pretty weak.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I also read (but cannot now find the link) that Turkey previously complained that it should have been allowed to enter very briefly Syrian airspace in its fight against Kurdish fighters.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turkey is engaged in quadruple-think and winning on all fronts. Supplying, most profitably trading with and attacking the so-called IS/IS/IL-Daesh and the latter's enemies. Like Germany in the Boer War. The West in the Iraq-Iran War.

What will the ever more impotent, wounded Bear do? All of this over a man's father-in-law and son-in-law 1300 years ago. Ah well, that's more recent than Bronze and Iron Age Christianity.

When are we ALL going to realise it's a zero sum game? Before the 10,000 year deadline of evolution that is? Where no social metanarrative, no culture survives. No politics, no philosophy, no language and no, thank God, religion.

[ 28. November 2015, 12:08: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

When are we ALL going to realise it's a zero sum game? Before the 10,000 year deadline of evolution that is? Where no social metanarrative, no culture survives. No politics, no philosophy, no language and no, thank God, religion.

....no more death, on more sorrow, no more weeping ?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could happen TODAY if we wanted.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, I think rolyn's onto something. I've been wondering today before this exchange whether your views don't in fact amount to Dominionism, the "Kingdom Now" end.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The deuce?! I thought we understood each other! Stroll on man, how could you think that? How have I implied that?

--------------------
Love wins

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the only way I can see "us" doing it "today" is if "we" all suddenly convert, which seems a bit millenialist to me.

If it happens, then hallelujah, but if not, well then I think we have to be prepared to get our hands dirty.

The modern world's way out of the paradox of a legitimate use of violence is the nation state. I don't like the recourse to force here but politically, I don't see a realistic solution without it. Trying to implement a better solution in God's name usually seems to end up with even more violence.

[ 28. November 2015, 18:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
No question it was the CIA.

I'm inclined to agree Martin. Guess most who did so in the past no longer have the energy to thrash heads against table-tops in anti-US rant. Good friends to us when Europe was in a mess, now we must do likewise over the Middle East. ...
Sorry. Which particular conspiracy theory is this? Is it being alleged that the CIA orchestrated the bomb attacks in Paris, shot down the Russian fighter, is funding the Daeth, or all three, or some different bizarrity?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

No Enoch. That's silliness. The CIA were behind the Arab spring. They can't help themselves. It's the American way. Egypt has been perfectly managed back to where it was DESPITE that fanatical thread of democratic idealism. Turkey is having it all ways, as it did in the Kuwait War, when it had cordial relations with Iraq whilst allowing the US the full use of Incirlik to bomb Iraq back to the stone age, and the West smiles benignly at our NATO ally, it STILL reckons Islamists are the best way of thwarting nuclear Russia. It ain't wrong. Of keeping each other busy. Our Way Of Life is assured. Happy days. My bet is that the C21st won't be an American and/or Chinese century, but a Turkic one. It'll be all right in ten thousand years.

Oh and F16 1 Sukhoi 24 0.

[ 28. November 2015, 22:52: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Enoch. Just lately I confess to suffering odd moments when I believe at some future date jihadi john may be found on a desert Island somewhere, quaffing Pina coladas with bin laden, and possibly even Elvis.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Sorry, Su-24, you know, for symmetry.

And another late score: BGM-71 TOW 1 Mil Mi-8 0

The next escalation will be when Turkey can't resist flying over Syria, which they may well have done already, to find out how good S-400s are.

Hopefully Turkey has a long memory and will remember that Russia wins twice as often as it loses in the twelve wars they've fought.

--------------------
Love wins

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Which particular conspiracy theory is this? Is it being alleged that the CIA orchestrated the bomb attacks in Paris, shot down the Russian fighter, is funding the Daeth, or all three, or some different bizarrity?

I think it is this:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-27/top-us-air-defense-commander-turkey%E2%80%99s-shootdown-russian-jet-%E2%80%9Chad-be- pre-planned%E2%80%9D

Plus this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/putin-claims-us-leaked-flight-path-of-downed-russian-jet-to-turkey-a67509 66.html

[removed code clearly interfered with by the CIA]

[ 29. November 2015, 14:54: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

As EVERYBODY knows Mossad (who run the CIA) did Paris.

You'll get a quarter of a million Google hits on 'mossad behind paris attacks', therefore it's true.

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've sometimes wished Mossad would go after Daesh, etc.

Besides the primary practical aspects, Israel would be saving Islam, Muslim countries, and individual Muslims.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a note; none of the links I posted mentioned the CIA.

The first was the report of a retired USAF general claiming on Fox News that an attack of this kind (on the SU-24 which would have been over Turkey for seconds) must have been pre-planned.

The second was Putin's recent claim - actually expressed much more explicitly in the interview - that the Russians were in the practice of sending all flight plans to the American command (presumably to avoid incidents such as this) and that this provided the intelligence needed for Turkey to respond in the way it did.

I was not posting them because I necessarily agreed with them - merely because they indicate a level of rhetoric that is currently flying about [which I presume is what Enoch was asking about]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was mocking the crackpots who see conspiracies everywhere. One of the things that goes with that, is projecting onto the CIA a belief that those in it are responsible for everything.

I was rather hoping and assuming that people had understood this.

[ 30. November 2015, 08:28: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah, but you're in the CIA ...

--------------------
Love wins

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Yeah, but you're in the CIA ...

What? I'd joke that I'd been rumbled, if I wasn't sure which shipmates can spot humour.

Or would denying it mean I must be admitting it? [Snigger]

[ 30. November 2015, 19:04: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Hmmmmmmm. Quadruple think! The CIA can't do that!

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016