homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Middle Class Values (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Middle Class Values
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are middle class values? How do they differ from lower or upper class values?

Or is there no longer such a thing?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before the advent of credit cards, I would have said 'delayed gratification'.

And even then, working class people saved up to buy things.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like everything else, there are going to be problems about attributing a values system to a large, and diverse, group of people. You either thin it down to an incredibly short list of values, probably poorly defined. Or, you end up with so many exceptions that the classification is meaningless.

And, that's assuming you can even define the group you're talking about. What, exactly, is the "middle class"? How do you decide if someone is in or out?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Before the advent of credit cards, I would have said 'delayed gratification'.

And even then, working class people saved up to buy things.

Some of my reading suggests delayed gratification is indeed a marker of a middle class - work hard for the future and it will pay off. And that lower classes aren't that interested in it.

What then of the upper classes? There is no need to delay gratification if you have plenty of money. So would the upper classes be the same as the lower in this particular value?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Like everything else, there are going to be problems about attributing a values system to a large, and diverse, group of people. You either thin it down to an incredibly short list of values, probably poorly defined. Or, you end up with so many exceptions that the classification is meaningless.

And, that's assuming you can even define the group you're talking about. What, exactly, is the "middle class"? How do you decide if someone is in or out?

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out. [Smile]

There used to be fairly defined systems of class in many societies but lets stick to "British" or "Western" for the purposes of this example that might today be considered cliche.

Do the old cliches no longer hold? Are there new cliches that we might notice?

Is it only monetary wealth that now defines class? Are there new characteristics of such differences in monetary wealth that might be noticed?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These sound like essay questions Evensong [Smile]

I love 'middle class values' as I think they are what my parents had. Delayed gratification, saving for a rainy day, good manners, politeness, gentle ways, 'sensible' routines, clean house, tidy garden etc.

Of course I rebelled loudly against them at the time - but, as I age, I am beginning to see their value.

On the 'saving for a rainy day' front I am grateful I took this one on board. I always have money 'in case the roof falls in'. A few months ago the roof DID fall in (not an insurance job-pure wear and tear) - we needed a whole new roof - £10,000! Thank goodness for the rainy day fund, it will take a while to replenish.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, I think the concept of "class" is very different in the US from what one may think of in GB. Here it really is primarily about $$. you are middle class, broadly speaking, if you can afford most of the basics of life (home, food, transport etc.) but still have to work to earn an income to afford those things. Upper class generally work only becuase they want to, and much of their income comes not from wages but from investments (this is a very, very broad generalization, of course, with a large middle ground). lower class are folks who can barely make ends meet (or can't make ends meet).

There is a SLIGHT element of cultural "class" (as opposed to financial) in that someone may look down on another with the same $$ but who is culturally illiterate. but there are plenty of people in the 'Upper class" who can barely read, don't like or understand classical music, and who, franky, don't give a rats ass about it. They are upper class because they are rich. period.

There have been studies which show that (in the US) a vast majority of folks consider themselves middle class, including poeple who might reasonably be considered to fall into the lower or upper class bracket.

Middle class values? well, I think a sense of place is important.. knowing that you have a home, a workplace, a place of worship, a club or other social organization.. the idea that you belong to something stable (not necessarily all of the above, but most). I think the lower class have a larger sense of uncertainly due to financial pressures (although I think in some cases financial insecurity actually bonds people even more). I think the wealthy have more of a sense of self imposed isolation--belonging to an elite group that others aren't able to join. I guess that's still "belonging" but it is different, I think, from the kind of "belonging" that is more common to middle class. it's focused on who it excludes than who it includes (obviously, gross generalization here).

I think the middle class have a strong sense of self sufficiency that the lower classes lack because they aren't in fact entirely self sufficient, and the upper class lack because they didn't, for the most part, have to earn their wealth by working for it. they got it fairly easily (obviously again, generalization.. there are certainly those who did earn their wealth entirely with their own hard work.. but most either inherited, or got lucky, or were given enough of a head start and lower hurdles that the effort they had to put in was minimal. this is different from a sense of entitlement, which I think all classes have in some form.

I guess that can be boiled down to the middle class wanting to "fit in" and be "normal".

but to be completely honest, I don't know that there is any particular value that really defines a class or is exclusive to it, at least in the US. the things I wrote above are so generalized as to be pretty meaningless.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
These sound like essay questions Evensong [Smile]

I love 'middle class values' as I think they are what my parents had. Delayed gratification, saving for a rainy day, good manners, politeness, gentle ways, 'sensible' routines, clean house, tidy garden etc.

Of course I rebelled loudly against them at the time - but, as I age, I am beginning to see their value.

On the 'saving for a rainy day' front I am grateful I took this one on board. I always have money 'in case the roof falls in'. A few months ago the roof DID fall in (not an insurance job-pure wear and tear) - we needed a whole new roof - £10,000! Thank goodness for the rainy day fund, it will take a while to replenish.

Those values are very common amongst the "respectable" part of the working-class too (my mum's family and my m-i-l's were very much respectable working class). They and the lower- and middle-middle class were desperate to maintain their status.

OTOH the feckless or "unrespectable" elements of the working-class had more in common with the aristocracy and certain elements of the moneyed upper- and upper-middle classes in that, for one reason or another, they didn't give a fuck, mostly because they don't have to or it's not in their interests to do so.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Some of my reading suggests delayed gratification is indeed a marker of a middle class - work hard for the future and it will pay off. And that lower classes aren't that interested in it.

Not so much that they aren't that interested in it, as that if you're short of money you don't have much control over your life and the future isn't predictable enough that you can expect delaying gratification to pay off.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I think "Work hard and you'll get stability." is a big one. So the rich claim to have worked hard when they didn't, and the poor are declared to be lazy whether or not they work hard.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thrift and good manners, certainly. The other value that comes to mind is education.

Not convinced that clean and tidy are middle-class values. Working-class women can be as keen as anyone on keeping the house clean.

I guess there may be room for argument as to where the respectable working class ends and the lower-middle class begins ?

The working-class virtue is solidarity. The flip side of that is "tall poppy" thinking - suspicion of those who want to do better.

Maybe those trying to do better - whether by saving up for something, getting more education, working harder or working smarter - are the middle class ? Even if they're currently doing the same job for the same wage ?

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the US, education would be another "middle-class value". Part of the rise in the cost of higher ed (and I say this as one who makes their living the it) seems to be just "because we can"-- iow, parents will pay (or borrow) whatever it takes.

Some values are expressed but not really lived out. "Family" is one that is always claimed as a middle-class value, but hasn't always been lived out, especially as it often conflicts with "working hard" or "education". Working class (preferred term in US rather than "lower class") families are more likely to actually spend time together as a family-- even if it's just taking the kids, spouse, and grandma along while you run errands at Target or get new tires for the car. Whereas in middle class families everyone is split up in a 100 different places pursuing their own pursuits, or in their own individual room studying or working.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. Thrift as a middle class value? Of course, the middle classes never take foreign holidays or eat in restaurants, do they?

One is reminded of the public schoolboys who told me they were somehow entitled to an advantageous education because their parents had "made sacrifices" to send them there. These "sacrificial" parents still managed to grant their families a lifestyle working class people couldn't even dream of.

Point is, it's easy to save 50p if you've got another 50p to spend, and feel you're being thrifty that you didn't spend the whole quid. It looks a bit different from the viewpoint of the poor bugger with only a tanner to his name. Thrift is a luxury of the well off, ironically.

[ 14. December 2015, 14:39: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
There have been studies which show that (in the US) a vast majority of folks consider themselves middle class, including people who might reasonably be considered to fall into the lower or upper class bracket.

There's also the way Americans code "middle class" as meaning "white". (Because there's virtually nothing in America that isn't touched by racial politics.) Blogger Erik Loomis examines this through some country music lyrics.

quote:
Angaleena Presley’s excellent 2014 album American Middle Class suggests the complexity of how country music politics represent the limits of white political consciousness. How often do we see an album of any genre dedicated to dissecting class in any conscious way? Very rarely. So from a political perspective, this is already interesting. Songs like “Pain Pills,” “Grocery Store,” and “Knocked Up” tell well-crafted stories about the white working class that show great sympathy and sensitivity for everyday people.

But that her album is titled American Middle Class and not “American Working Class” says a great deal, for not even Presley can escape the divisive politics that undermine class solidarity in the United States. The album’s title track opens with Presley’s father, a Kentucky coal miner for thirty years, talking about life in the mines. He explains the hard work, how the companies “make thousands and thousands of dollars” while the workers get almost nothing. He closes by saying “It ain’t no life really.”

How on earth is a poor Kentucky coal miner middle class? The answer is that in this song, as in much of America, middle class actually means “white.” See how Presley frames her father’s words in the song:

quote:
Now daddy can’t get his pension or Social Security
worked thirty damn years in a coal mine feeding welfare families
struggle hard and hide it well, you sure ain’t rich and you sure as hell ain’t poor enough to get one little break
’cause everything would collapse
without the hardworking God-loving members of the American middle class

“Worked thirty damn years in a coal mine feeding welfare families.” This line says so much about the problems of class and racial solidarity in the United States. Of course Presley doesn’t mention race directly. No mainstream singer would in 2014. The politics of overt racial resentment are too toxic today. But the lightly obscured politics of race are as powerful as ever. “Welfare” mostly means “black people cashing their welfare checks while rolling up to the store in their Cadillac and then ordering a t-bone steak” has a decades-long history by now. It is worth noting of course that in much of the South there is also a white underclass that also receives the welfare stigma from society and she may well mean those people too, but there’s no way to define coal mining as a middle class job.
The whole thing is worth a read.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
]“Worked thirty damn years in a coal mine feeding welfare families.” This line says so much about the problems of class and racial solidarity in the United States. Of course Presley doesn’t mention race directly. No mainstream singer would in 2014. The politics of overt racial resentment are too toxic today. But the lightly obscured politics of race are as powerful as ever. “Welfare” mostly means “black people cashing their welfare checks while rolling up to the store in their Cadillac and then ordering a t-bone steak” has a decades-long history by now. It is worth noting of course that in much of the South there is also a white underclass that also receives the welfare stigma from society and she may well mean those people too, but there’s no way to define coal mining as a middle class job.

Good points, sad to say.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're talking purely about income, the working class spend what they earn, the middle class save what they can, the upper class use their wealth to entrench their children's position at the top.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Point is, it's easy to save 50p if you've got another 50p to spend, and feel you're being thrifty that you didn't spend the whole quid. It looks a bit different from the viewpoint of the poor bugger with only a tanner to his name. Thrift is a luxury of the well off, ironically.

Not necessarily. My parents were truly poor for the first years of their marriage. My Dad was at college in London and able to send only ten bob a week home for Mum, his Mum and us 3 kids. Mum went to work at the local jam factory to put food on the table (unheard of in middle class 1950s) She was thrifty in a sense we never see today. She made string form old tights and rubber bands from old rubber gloves!

After that they were on a minister's stipend - so middle class with working class pay.

[ 14. December 2015, 18:00: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up with the idea that middle class meant "people with books". Then my Dad was invited to join Rotary, undeniably middle class, and we visited houses with no books.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a set of charts here, according to which I am 'esrtablished middle class' becaue I am into cultural activities, mix with a broad range of people and worked in a traditional profession.

Though I'd be 'trad. working class' in that I own my own home.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a set of charts here, according to which I am 'esrtablished middle class' becaue I am into cultural activities, mix with a broad range of people and worked in a traditional profession.

Is there a key somewhere to the graphics? For instance, do the two 'money' segments indicate assets and income? What about the two segments of the 'social' section?

GG

[ 14. December 2015, 19:08: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
If we're talking purely about income, the working class spend what they earn, the middle class save what they can, the upper class use their wealth to entrench their children's position at the top.

I suspect nowadays plenty of the British middle class are mortgaged up to the hilt to support to support their pretensions. At its best, the upper class have no need to be pretentious and can get on more easily with all sorts of people.

I was amazed to read from leo that paying off your mortgage outright is working class, but it supports my suspicion.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They seem to have missed out the underclass.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hmmm. Thrift as a middle class value? Of course, the middle classes never take foreign holidays or eat in restaurants, do they?

Yeah, that was my thought as well.

Middle class to me suggests the sort of person who gets a new kitchen because the existing one doesn't have space for the Le Creuset okra peeler and goldenberry juicer set, and who would always choose filet de morue en croûte with hand cut rustic fries garnished with cyder vinegar and puréed petits pois in preference to fish, chips and mushy peas.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
They seem to have missed out the underclass.

Isn't that what it calls the precariat?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They appear to be earning money ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kate Fox's 'Watching the English' is good on all this.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it possible to ascribe any values to a particular "class": there are good values, questionable values and downright bad values and IMO one should aim to have broadly the first category, a scattering of the second, and none of the third.

Off the top of my head I'd say politeness, punctuality, kindness and self-deprecation are important; I'd put malicious gossip, conscious discrimination and deliberate unkindness in the "bad" category.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not necessarily. My parents were truly poor for the first years of their marriage. My Dad was at college in London and able to send only ten bob a week home for Mum, his Mum and us 3 kids. Mum went to work at the local jam factory to put food on the table (unheard of in middle class 1950s) She was thrifty in a sense we never see today. She made string form old tights and rubber bands from old rubber gloves!

Yeah, but that's thrifty in a rather different sense to middle class thrift. Middle class thrift is deciding not to eat out tonight. I don't see much of the sort of thrift you describe in the middle class.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grayson Perry did a good series on class - either BBC2 or Channel 4, hopefully the latter as Channel 4 are better at keeping things on catch-up.

I do take umbrage at the suggestion that thrift and politeness are things working-class people don't have - talk to any working-class person who lived through rationing and they certainly know the meaning of thrift! My own 'respectable' working class family (on both sides, albeit different kinds of 'respectable' - one side Catholic trade unionists of Irish extraction, the other Anglo-Catholic and mostly in the armed forces or nursing) certainly placed a lot of emphasis on hard work, saving for a rainy day, politeness and thrift. There were also many books in the house, on both sides. I just had my books bought from school library sales or car boot sales.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are (at least) two variations on thrift.

There is thrift as a necessity. When what is available is barely adequate to meet needs (or, even inadequate) then thrift becomes necessary to stretch the available to meet the need.

There is thrift as a choice. When what is available is more than adequate to meet needs then you have a choice to have more than needed, to waste the excess, to be thrifty as save the excess for other purposes etc.

The sort of thrift that "saves for a rainy day" rather than splurging on what isn't needed is a definite choice rather than a necessity.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A thing I noticed on my ascent of the social ladder (on rungs marked 'books' and 'free education') was that in the rural working class - if you've got it, you flaunt it. If you offered food and drink, you would enumerate the choices - because variety or abundance was not a given. Whereas if you were middle class, the polite assumption was that of course you would have everything the guest could want - and the guest's desires would be similarly temperate.

You had a room you hardly used, kept for 'good'. Appearances were important. The concept of shabby chic, or of things that were old and battered having value was alien.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Yeah, that was my thought as well.

Middle class to me suggests the sort of person who gets a new kitchen because the existing one doesn't have space for the Le Creuset okra peeler and goldenberry juicer set, and who would always choose filet de morue en croûte with hand cut rustic fries garnished with cyder vinegar and puréed petits pois in preference to fish, chips and mushy peas.

You forgot the Sel de Guerande

And I suspect that's the nouvelle bourgeiosie.

I'm not sure what Osborn et cie count as, but they certainly don't get on with everyone else. They show every sign of living in a bubble. So are they upper middle? After all the family is in trade.

[ 15. December 2015, 11:48: Message edited by: Penny S ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that the main aim of the middle class is, or was, to avoid giving the neighbours anything to gossip about. Nothing should be too shabby, but neither should consumption be too conspicuous. Lawns should be mowed, cars should be clean, shoes should be polished.

As for middle class religion - church weddings, children baptised, church membership, regular (though not necessarily weekly) attendance, but no public discussion of God, or faith, nothing which smacks of unseemly fervour.

Children should be given safe names which have stood the test of time. Names of royalty are safe - George, Elizabeth, Henry, Charlotte, Charles, Anne.

Middle class values are the values of conformity - tidiness, careful money management, politeness, punctuality.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The big societal change, I think, is that people drew their ideas of behaviour from their neighbours, the members of their church, the regulars at their pub etc. This reinforced conformity.

Nowadays, it is much easier to travel, to meet people at a distance, to see other lifestyles reflected on TV, to discuss things online with people from all over the world.

Small variations in behaviour aren't likely to be the talk of the neighbourhood. When I was a girl, one elderly man, possibly with poor eyesight, wore brown shoes to a funeral. It was the talk of the village! That level of conformity has gone.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we use the term "middle class", the other terms upper and working class are not used. The wealthly typically were not in the prior generation. Education has been the key. Everyone aspires to send their children to post secondary education. Which is the main middle class value and key to upward mobility. Most of our educated elite was poor and rural farmers the prior generation.

This seems startling to some immigrants and visitors. I recall seeing Princess Margaret need to shake hands with a Native Elder at his invitation when he walked to her table at a banquet, greeted her "hello princess" and expected and received the usual handshake and conversation expected among equals in Saskatchewan. The royal handler people looked very upset. No one is better than anyone else is the basic middle class value.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Children should be given safe names which have stood the test of time. Names of royalty are safe - George, Elizabeth, Henry, Charlotte, Charles, Anne.

Ah, names. Upper and upper middle use time honoured names that go back further than ordinary middle, such as Cassandra and Tarquin - regardless of the original associations of those names. (Some names of this type may be found in less elevated classes - Helen and Diana, for example.) Also men may bear one of a set of names which appear in the lower and middle middle as girls' names - Evelyn, Jocelyn, Hilary, Beverly, Vivian, for example.
The lower classes include names picked for being unusual, possibly made-up, or spelled in an unusual way, usually for girls, but boys can be given the names of stars of stage, screen or sport. This habit for girls actually shows up in late medieval baptism lists where the equivalent of Chardonnay and the like can be found.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:

Is there a key somewhere to the graphics? For instance, do the two 'money' segments indicate assets and income? What about the two segments of the 'social' section?

GG

Not that I can see.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not that I can see.

With a spot of reverse engineering, the two money wedges are income (left) and assets (right).

For the social wedges, the left hand wedge tells you about the typical education of your friends (big wedge = lots of educated people), and the right hand wedge indicates the variety of jobs they have (big wedge = big variety). So if all your friends are engineers and scientists, you'll have a big left wedge and a small right wedge.

For the cultural wedges, the left hand wedge is "lowbrow" - rock/pop music, video games etc., and the right hand wedge is "highbrow" - opera, museums, stately homes and classical music.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The royal handler people looked very upset. No one is better than anyone else is the basic middle class value.

In Canada and, to a growing extent in the UK. But not, as far as I can tell, in the US. Despite, no because of the myth of mobility, the wealthy are venerated at a level completely at odds with the proclaimed ethos.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its very common to speak of people being wealthy - the word is rich.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
In Canada and, to a growing extent in the UK. But not, as far as I can tell, in the US. Despite, no because of the myth of mobility, the wealthy are venerated at a level completely at odds with the proclaimed ethos.

Would I be wrong, or even unfair, in getting the impression that compared with the UK, and even more compared with Australia, there's a much stronger feeling in the US that important, successful, people are cut a great deal more slack, that there's a feeling that because they are important and successful, they are let off being expected to behave like the rest of us.

There were various expressions of public shock in the US about the way that the late Michael Jackson was the subject of quite a lot of mockery on this side of the Atlantic. But the most striking example is that I think the late Edward Kennedy's political career would have been toast here after the night of July 18th 1969. It would never have been forgotten. Whatever really happened that night, after that he would never have been able to retrieve his political career.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
While we use the term "middle class", the other terms upper and working class are not used. The wealthly typically were not in the prior generation. Education has been the key. Everyone aspires to send their children to post secondary education. Which is the main middle class value and key to upward mobility. Most of our educated elite was poor and rural farmers the prior generation.

This seems startling to some immigrants and visitors. I recall seeing Princess Margaret need to shake hands with a Native Elder at his invitation when he walked to her table at a banquet, greeted her "hello princess" and expected and received the usual handshake and conversation expected among equals in Saskatchewan. The royal handler people looked very upset. No one is better than anyone else is the basic middle class value.

Given the stories about Princess Margaret's attitudes and manners, that's a pretty good story, which serves to counter some of the others. Well done her.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
there's a much stronger feeling in the US that important, successful, people are cut a great deal more slack, that there's a feeling that because they are important and successful, they are let off being expected to behave like the rest of us.

However, there is a form of class capitol in the UK that is much less prevalent in the US.
Lord Downon Isluck-Scruffington III, supporting himself as a Starbucks barista, will have a social capitol in the UK that would not occur in the US.
I would disagree that the veneration of the rich doesn't exist in the UK.
As far as Kennedy, it is very much because the Kennedy family has significant cultural parallel to a royal family.
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Its very common to speak of people being wealthy - the word is rich.

Yes, one has a more benign sound if you choose to hear it that way.
They both sound the same to me.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There were various expressions of public shock in the US about the way that the late Michael Jackson was the subject of quite a lot of mockery on this side of the Atlantic.

There were? This seems rather improbable to me, since (a) there was (and is) no shortage of mockery of MJ in the US, and (b) I don't believe Americans are particularly aware of or concerned about European attitudes towards US pop stars.

If such notions as this form any substantial part of the basis for your impression of US attitudes towards "important, successful, people" I would say that you have good reason to doubt the reliability of that impression.

[ 16. December 2015, 02:08: Message edited by: Dave W. ]

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
There were various expressions of public shock in the US about the way that the late Michael Jackson was the subject of quite a lot of mockery on this side of the Atlantic.

There were? This seems rather improbable to me, since (a) there was (and is) no shortage of mockery of MJ in the US, and (b) I don't believe Americans are particularly aware of or concerned about European attitudes towards US pop stars.

If such notions as this form any substantial part of the basis for your impression of US attitudes towards "important, successful, people" I would say that you have good reason to doubt the reliability of that impression.

Agreed. This is the first time I'm hearing that MJ was mocked by Europeans. But here in the US, up until his death, mocking of MJ-- ranging from the allegations of sex abuse to his weird personal habits to his infamously shrinking nose-- was ubiquitous.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the occasion to read a biography of Anthony Trollope this year. Both the Victorian author and his mother toured the US in their day, a generation apart, and both of them complained of a 'lack of deference.' Trollope himself described it as the attitude, from the guy carrying his suitcase, that portering luggage was just a job and did not make him a lesser person than a plump British writer. He found this vaguely offensive. Dickens, who claimed to be a very liberal and democratically-minded man, had high hopes of his visit to the US but discovered that he just couldn't tolerate the egalitarian attitude of the lower orders.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I had the occasion to read a biography of Anthony Trollope this year. Both the Victorian author and his mother toured the US in their day, a generation apart, and both of them complained of a 'lack of deference.' Trollope himself described it as the attitude, from the guy carrying his suitcase, that portering luggage was just a job and did not make him a lesser person than a plump British writer. He found this vaguely offensive. Dickens, who claimed to be a very liberal and democratically-minded man, had high hopes of his visit to the US but discovered that he just couldn't tolerate the egalitarian attitude of the lower orders.

I have even met this demand for deference in some Englishmen into this century, although I always remember that "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind".

Trollope wasn't of as exalted a status as he liked to pretend.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there just one middle class?
I'm not sure there is really.

I can think of lots of very different people who would call themselves middle class.
I recently re-read Jilly Cooper's book "Class" (got it on kindle) and although things have moved on considerably since she wrote it her sub-division of the middle class still rings true, although very overstated.
The book still makes me smile as I can see myself and others so clearly in her all her outrageous class descriptions.

[ 16. December 2015, 16:04: Message edited by: MrsBeaky ]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My ex-brother-in-law went to a private school. He had a holiday job in Harrods. His head teacher turned up, spotted him, went to the powers that be and he was dismissed as unsuitable, due the deference accorded to the head.

(This may have had something to do with e-b-i-l having seized the cane from the HT and threatened to beat him with it! But for someone to have that power is abuse of class, in my view, if e-b-i-l was doing his retail work well.)

I haven't read Jilly Cooper, and am unlikely to do so, but I am as sure that there are different middle classes. Members of professions, county set, business people, people who don't think they are working class any more. That's just a few who come to mind.

[ 16. December 2015, 17:45: Message edited by: Penny S ]

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
[QUOTE] Given the stories about Princess Margaret's attitudes and manners, that's a pretty good story, which serves to counter some of the others. Well done her.

The overwhelming weight of the evidence is more in the direction of rude, boorish and racist (the latter resembling a number of incidents involving her father).
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016