homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cold calls. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cold calls.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Do Not Call registries only have a partial effect around here. Today I got a call from someone doing a grocery survey. I told her my opinion is so valuable, I charge $10 a minute for it, did she want to buy? She said no.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One time when I explained that since the caller was being paid to ask questions I should be paid at least as much to answer them the poor befuddled phone survey caller actually went and asked her supervisor about payment. (The answer was "no.")
[Killing me]

Normally they just tell me that if I participate I'll be entered in a drawing for some fabulous prize.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like playing with unsolicited callers, depending on my mood. My aim when I feel like playing is to keep the caller on the phone for as long as I can. In another thread, I explained my wave power technique, which I like to use when people selling solar panels call.

However, my favorite calls are the microsoft scammers. I go into 'old man who knows nothing about computers yet who has a computer' mode and just try to string them out. One day I got one of these calls and let slip an expression of pleasure. The bloke on the other end must have picked it and asked me, "Sir, what do you think of Sachim Tendulkar." Now, one cannot joke about cricket, so I said, "One of the best batsmen ever to play the game." He said, "That is the correct answer", and hung up. I haven't had a microsoft scam call since. Bugger.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last Microsoft scammer who called me, told me I was breaking the law. I asked if he would call back later when a Police Officer would be in the house. No impersonisation involved and a year later, he has still not rung back. Now if only I could find a solution to the recorded messages from firms ignoring the TPS ...

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:
I got one of those call screening and blocking things a couple of years ago. Works brilliantly. I think it's done itself out of a job though as I think my number has got onto a "don't waste your time" list. Haven't had a cold call for months.

I notce the same thing with my cell phone. I never pick up unless the number is familiar, or at least carrying a local prefix. I will get the same " unknown caller" for a week or two, then the never call again.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had cold calls from numbers which look local, but when I look more closely, afterwards, I find they are too short. I've quite a few on my personal blocked list now.
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
I have caller ID on my landline phone. If I don't recognise the number or it doesn't come up, I don't pick up.

OMG! Seriously folks, all the angst and acrimony and all it takes is this, simple solution.
Another vote for this (although Ricardus's mom sounds really, really cool. [Big Grin] ) if you don't know the number, let it go, if you check voicemail and find it is a number you want, name it in contacts.
I'll pick up just in case it's something sensible but if it's not (usually evident in 2-3 seconds) it'll be 'Sorry, no' and I kill the call. I've heard this is kindest to the poor souls who surely wouldn't do this miserable work if they had an alternative. They're monitored and required to keep the target talking at all costs, but no-one can blag to a dead line.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an answering machine which screens out most of the rubbish. If I'm at home and a genuine call comes I pick up, otherwise I let the machine handle it.

Occasionally when I'm expecting a call I pick up on a cold caller. I always answer my own phone by saying simply, "hello?". The automated dialling systems these companies use don't connect immediately, so the caller doesn't hear my "hello" but after a moment I can hear the caller. If it's a cold-caller I say nothing at all and just wait for them to hang up. Most hang up quite quickly, but sometimes they will also stay on the line silently for a while. I think the poor people must be happy to take a short break from the work.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016