homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bacon Butties? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bacon Butties?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, whether jazz 'works' in a church building depends a bit on the kind of jazz.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the vegetarianism argument - we had a mens' breakfast at our church for Fathers' Day a few years back.

The breakfast consisted of a bacon roll.

Our pastor announced "There is a vegetarian option. It's the roll."

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
To me, whether jazz 'works' in a church building depends a bit on the kind of jazz.

Rules for Jazz gig:

1 - Don't advertise it as Jazz.

There are no other rules.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've learned that the hard way, Sioni ...

[Frown]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Back to the vegetarianism argument - we had a mens' breakfast at our church for Fathers' Day a few years back.

I bet the pastor couldn't see what an colossal knob he was being, either.

[ 11. January 2016, 11:34: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

It was tongue in cheek. Everyone there got the joke.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sioni Sais: Rules for Jazz gig:

1 - Don't advertise it as Jazz.

There are no other rules.

I hadn't heard that one. I like it!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

What joke? All I see is someone implying vegetarians are not worth catering for so can fuck off because tbey're not really welcome.

[ 11. January 2016, 15:16: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, that Real Men™ won't be vegetarians.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What joke? All I see is someone implying vegetarians are not worth catering for so can fuck off because tbey're not really welcome.
I must say, it sounded rather dismissive to me as well.

To be fair to the minister, this event probably wasn't evangelistic, but was designed to benefit and encourage church members. We'll have to assume that (unless it was some sort of lesser-spotted English megachurch) he knew all the men who were likely to attend, and also knew that they weren't vegetarians, or not strictly so.

Still, if there were any visitors at the church that day they might not have understood his brand of humour.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Context is (nearly) everything ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Context is (nearly) everything ...

Not really - lots of nastiness, even bullying, is glossed over by 'I was only joking'.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but that's often someone trying to put soemthing in a context that isn't actually there.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

Everyone there knew it wasn't meant as anything other than a joke - it wasn't an outreach event as such, and there were unlikely to be any visitors there, it was just a tongue in cheek bit of humour.

I understand however, that such humour wouldn't necessarily come over in the text.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope - I don't agree. He was being dismissive of vegetarians and even pointing out the lack of provision for them, which - these days - is unacceptable imo.

No doubt he thought he was being hilarious, but his exclusive attitude would have shone through.

I am not a veggie but plenty of my family are, for various reasons.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Boogie. This is frequently part and parcel of a certain culture, found often but not exclusively in churches, in which off-the-cuff comments by authority figures serve, unwittingly or deliberately, to belittle the hearers and put them at a psychological disadvantage for no good reason - other than to further assert the authority of the speaker.

[ 12. January 2016, 10:11: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Our Church has started giving bacon sandwiches before the service to encourage people in.

What do you think of this and other gimmicks to 'get people in'?

I see no problem with it. Esp if I was setting up an early service! BREAKFAST!
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
If you live in an area where there are lots of Muslims then it's not irrelevant. I know of two local churches which see their ministry as involving Muslims. This makes a lot of sense in their environment. A CU at a uni with a growing international or multicultural British intake might also find such considerations relevant to their evangelistic strategy.

In another setting, though, the aim may be to focus on the 'typical' student, or the indigenous, ordinary local person who isn't too bothered about being healthy so long as they're fed.

I write as someone who enjoys bacon, but it's obviously not the most culturally versatile, user-friendly food....

If you want a halal option - do some turkey rashers as well! Job done!
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I agree with Boogie. This is frequently part and parcel of a certain culture, found often but not exclusively in churches, in which off-the-cuff comments by authority figures serve, unwittingly or deliberately, to belittle the hearers and put them at a psychological disadvantage for no good reason - other than to further assert the authority of the speaker.

This. I'm not a veggie, but my sister is a vegan and I'm very familiar with this attitude of belittling and scorning vegetarians.

Is this an example of microaggression, I wonder?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on the context. I've certainly seen leaders use humour that way.

But there's an equal and opposite danger of falling into paranoia and interpreting an admittedly ill-conceived quip or remark as some kind of power-play posturing when it was simply a daft thing to say.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
But there's an equal and opposite danger of falling into paranoia and interpreting an admittedly ill-conceived quip or remark as some kind of power-play posturing when it was simply a daft thing to say.

Not when it's a systematic part of someone's behaviour and/or the first thing they say to you. There are corporate cultures that breed this kind of thing.

[ETA maybe this is a tangent... anyone want to start a thread on microaggression, whatever that is?]

[ 13. January 2016, 08:53: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure, I'd agree with that too, Eutychus, that some systems have that sort of thing embedded within their DNA.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I bet the pastor couldn't see what an colossal knob he was being, either. [/QB]

Yes, I must admit that my immediate response when seeing the scenario was 'tosser' - and yeah, I've been in church situations where this kind of joke is common, and usually there's a lot more negative-energy stuff going on than just one isolated incident.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

Yes, I must admit that my immediate response when seeing the scenario was 'tosser' - and yeah, I've been in church situations where this kind of joke is common, and usually there's a lot more negative-energy stuff going on than just one isolated incident. [/QB]
So, if you ever try to have a joke and it misfires, you're happy to be called a "knob" and a "tosser"?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It depends on whether the cap fits, doesn't it?

If someone acts like either of those things, then surely the epithet is appropriate?

[Devil]

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

quote:
It depends on whether the cap fits, doesn't it?

If someone acts like either of those things, then surely the epithet is appropriate?

[Devil]

And if they don't, then it isn't [Devil]

[ 14. January 2016, 13:51: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
So, if you ever try to have a joke and it misfires, you're happy to be called a "knob" and a "tosser"?

People who make quips like this need to think carefully about the target of their 'jokes'. Especially if the person making the quips is in a position of leadership. The 'jokes' speak volumes about their attitudes and values.

Piss poor outlook on a whole group of people (veggies) imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It isn't a joke in casual conversation - it is said from a stage with the intention of getting a rise out of a crowd.

Most of us have to act within positions of authority (our work for one) where there are consequences for not 'acting' the role. Usually these are rather greater than simply being thought of as a "'knob' and a "tosser"'.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'd think the point of a community outreach event would be to not just randomly exclude people. Or to project the attitude that your church is not interested in people who are "not our kind, dear.".

Not that you have to provide for every dietary eventuality, but yeah, not telling people they can piss off before they even show up would be a good move. Even non-vegetarians might not show up if they are concerned they might be subjected to random snotty "jokes" if they display any sign of being different.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Phantom Flan Flinger hasn't said that this was a community outreach event. Indeed, he said there weren't any visitors.

If it's a typical English congregation there were about 30-70 people present. With those numbers it's fairly easy to tell if there's an unfamiliar face in the room (presuming you're not in a cavernous church that could seat 1000+ people).

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sure, I'd agree with that too, Eutychus, that some systems have that sort of thing embedded within their DNA.

Especially when making so called humourus and smart alec remarks at other denominatioins or church groupings "I was only joking .... well, really?"

This kind of attitude needs to be called to account - and if the comment is public, there's a good argument for a public response.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016