homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Church, without God. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Church, without God.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
It is in valuing my life, for its own sake, that makes me stronger. It has made me more compassionate, more actively charitable and less self-focused. Not that I am perfect at this, it is a journey, but devaluing exterior validation has brought greater connection with that exterior.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Spot on, lilBuddha. Without church, without God, life is a overflowing torrent, in which I bathe.

It struck me that the value that I used to place in God and Christ has now spilled over into everything. Ironic, or what? It's an enlargement.

That's great if you're built that way. I'm not. If value is something we make up ourselves--if the same is true for truth, purpose, meaning--I might as well go hang myself. I wouldn't be able to fool myself into believing whatever I constructed--I would always be seeing through it, and the whole thing would fall apart like wet toilet paper. My position would be quite similar to that in Ecclesiastes, only without a God.

It's similar to the way some people exhort others to "just believe" (or alternately, "just stop believing that"). Belief is not a voluntary function for me, one that I can turn on or off as I please. And it boggles my mind to know that this is apparently not the case for a great many people. Like, how do you do it????

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I was thinking about all religions throughout the world, their literature, their great art, their architecture, their influence on the understanding of morality, politics, social structures, education, philosophy etc, etc, etc. Some of it is historical and some of it is very much current and alive.

The literature, art and architecture would still exist. It's not like "The Event" would unmake Westminster Cathedral, or unpaint the Sistine Chapel.

As for morality and politics, I can't help but think that a lot of the more unpleasant outworkings of the various Dead Horses would suddenly cease after "The Event". Without any appeal to God to back up their prejudice, the haters would lose any moral support they may ever have had for their positions.

I have been challenged to consider non-Western societies and the impact "The Event" would have on them. Well, I can't imagine the removal of such religiously-inspired groups as Boko Haram and ISIS would be a bad thing, nor do I think the immediate cessation of Catholic opposition to birth control would be anything but a boon in the fight against AIDS in Africa. Would the situation in Israel/Palestine become easier to resolve without the inflammatory influence of people's various beliefs in the promises made to them by their God?

quote:
If religion was to be removed from all of this all over the planet in the literal blink of an eye, you would be talking about a catastrophic collapse of religious systems...
Well duh.

quote:
...cultural understanding, educational aspects, literary genres, moral systems, art movements, architectural aspirations, philosophical systems, historical understanding, political movements etc etc etc.
While I'm sure there would be an effect on such things, to call it a "catastrophic collapse" seems to me to be an overstatement.

quote:
The practical side of it would dictate that a great many people would suddenly find themselves unemployed, possibly in mental turmoil, possibly the target for hatred and in the position of scapegoating.
Such things would pass, and probably quite quickly.

quote:
Remember, removing religion will not remove our immense capacity for stupidity.
No. But it would remove one of the chief means by which otherwise intelligent people have been convinced to act stupidly.

quote:
[snip]Add to this the general mental demise of those who find the whole thing too depressing to contemplate, the millions who would feel their sense of hope had literally evaporated overnight or who found profound meaning in something they now know to be a fraud. The result of that alone doesn't bear thinking about.
As I find it difficult to understand such feelings I can't really comment. But I'd like to think that most people would still be able to find hope and meaning in their lives without the promise of pie in the sky.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
It is in valuing my life, for its own sake, that makes me stronger. It has made me more compassionate, more actively charitable and less self-focused. Not that I am perfect at this, it is a journey, but devaluing exterior validation has brought greater connection with that exterior.

quote:
Spot on, lilBuddha. Without church, without God, life is a overflowing torrent, in which I bathe.

It struck me that the value that I used to place in God and Christ has now spilled over into everything. Ironic, or what? It's an enlargement.

That's great if you're built that way. I'm not. If value is something we make up ourselves--if the same is true for truth, purpose, meaning--I might as well go hang myself. I wouldn't be able to fool myself into believing whatever I constructed--I would always be seeing through it, and the whole thing would fall apart like wet toilet paper. My position would be quite similar to that in Ecclesiastes, only without a God.

It's similar to the way some people exhort others to "just believe" (or alternately, "just stop believing that"). Belief is not a voluntary function for me, one that I can turn on or off as I please. And it boggles my mind to know that this is apparently not the case for a great many people. Like, how do you do it????

This is spilling over into too many areas to cover really. But anyway, I don't think value is something that I make up. It often stems from a connection between me and something else, and that involves lots of feelings, thoughts, symbolism, and so on, which are involuntary, or I suppose, unconscious.

For example, I like gardening, but I didn't decide to like it really. It just suits me. To analyze it more would be interesting, but might take several hundred pages!

I don't denigrate religion, because for many people there is a deep connection there also, and who am I to cavil at that? In fact, this still happens for me at times, with certain religious symbols. But again, I don't control that.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe that's where the confusion comes--I don't equate value with liking. There are things I do because I like them, but I can't kid myself and think they have any intrinsic value as such. There are other things I do because they do have value (for example, volunteer work), even though the work itself is very dislikable (fighting with the immigration bureaucracy, shudder).

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Belief is not a voluntary function for me, one that I can turn on or off as I please. And it boggles my mind to know that this is apparently not the case for a great many people. Like, how do you do it????

I agree entirely. There seem to be some who, when an argument convinces them, just swap beliefs. I tend to react with: is there a flaw in the argument (given time you can usually find one) and if not, well there are much cleverer people than me who don't believe it either so I needn't. (Unless of course it was something I wanted to believe ...)

Occasionally I manage it: I fake believing and sometimes forget it's a fake. It's a cheap trick but often we become what we act as if we believe. Arguably that is the basis of all learning - you make someone do something that seems unnatural until it becomes natural. Maybe that's what easy belief swappers do but they don't let on ...

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or is anyone enjoying the fact that we can all argue with certainty about the speculative for no less than three pages? I know there's some kind of religious irony in there aching to get out.....just can't quite put my finger on it.

Marvin, you points are fair enough, but you must admit, surely, that you're indulging in examples of the very worst stereotypes of 'religion' in order to make them.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
There seem to be some who, when an argument convinces them, just swap beliefs.

I can do that with objective things or where belief is simply a statement of "on the balance of probabilities". But belief in God is also a statement of hope and faith. It has a quality like belief in a person, where we don't mean that we are considering the existence or not of that individual, but rather faith in their intentions and personality. Sometimes hope as well. That sort of belief shouldn't be shaken by a rational argument.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still musing over this hypothetical 'event' whereby everyone on Earth is informed that God doesn't exist.

Maybe all the World leaders will simultaneously receive an e-mail from the no-god stating catorgorically that He or She doesn't exist.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe that's where the confusion comes--I don't equate value with liking. There are things I do because I like them, but I can't kid myself and think they have any intrinsic value as such. There are other things I do because they do have value (for example, volunteer work), even though the work itself is very dislikable (fighting with the immigration bureaucracy, shudder).

Well, now you are misquoting me. I didn't equate value with liking; I gave it as an example of 'a connection between me and something else ... lots of feelings, thoughts, symbolism and so on'.

Anyway, no point in continuing.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the event that could demonstrate the non-existence of God has already happened: the crucifixion of Jesus. Muddled local politics and thoughtless brutality get the better of the world's best ever hope. Worst of all, when you think about it, it was obviously going to end this way; hope and love versus fearful power? A no brainer.. It always will end this way, always has done. The cross is the death of Jesus and of God, or of the hope that there might be a God.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
hatless: I think the event that could demonstrate the non-existence of God has already happened: the crucifixion of Jesus.
Wow, that's a good one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

that;s a bit extreme... oh, I see, you mean on this thread...

I think that LambChopped is narrowing meaning to a very specific thing, the one thing that gives them personal meaning.

Meaning is much wider than that, and covers interpersonal, work, projects, art, music, helping others, the wonder of the world, laughter... and a million other things that make up this glorious life we live!

I see no reason there has to be a universal meaning, in fact a meaning like that, paradoxically to me, has little meaning at all...

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Well, now you are misquoting me. I didn't equate value with liking; I gave it as an example of 'a connection between me and something else ... lots of feelings, thoughts, symbolism and so on'.

If I did, it was not intentional. Just confusion on my part. I'm sorry.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
hatless: I think the event that could demonstrate the non-existence of God has already happened: the crucifixion of Jesus.
Wow, that's a good one.
Yes, that must be why the disciples, after their leader was dispatched, shrugged their shoulders, shuffled off back to their fishing boats never to be heard of again.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
quote:
Wow, that's a good one.
Yes, that must be why the disciples, after their leader was dispatched, shrugged their shoulders, shuffled off back to their fishing boats never to be heard of again.
They did shuffle off back to their fishing boats. Not quite the end of the story, though.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
quote:
Wow, that's a good one.
They did shuffle off back to their fishing boats. Not quite the end of the story, though.
Yes, it's a good example of precisely what it would look like. Yes, followers-- even close followers-- would be shattered, confused, and would react in a variety of ways, not unlike the different ways people respond to grief. But (if we believers are right about God), what seems like the final word will not, in fact, be the final word. Alternatively (if we believers are wrong about God) the human heart is capable of inventing an alternative narrative to explain the heart-stopping event.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. Then something happened that made them so sure of God that they were willing to die for him. Can't remember what it was called though. Re- re-something.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I'd like to think that most people would still be able to find hope and meaning in their lives without the promise of pie in the sky.

I don't think it's necessarily via the promise of a rosy afterlife that religion infuses people's lives with meaning. Maybe for some people. I think if I found out there's no afterlife, we're just snuffed out, but there is a God who just made us that way, it wouldn't bug me overmuch and I'd still be a Christian. I'd mourn harder when people died, for sure.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

It's almost a cliché that the mainstream church clergy don't necessarily tell their congregations what they really believe, for fear of damaging their faith, and losing them from the church. If this involves out and out atheism, some find they have to hide their atheism, although there are others who openly retain their niche in the church. There are philosophical organisations they can join, such as the Sea of Faith.

I just think, though, that since most clergy are already nervous of getting too theologically radical with their congregations...

With the caveat that I couldn't get your first link to work, I would suggest it's only a cliche because people (although you're the only one I know) keep saying it. A few anecdotal stories as I suspect your link will show do not a trend make. Meanwhile, there are, as you well know, scores of clergy right here on the Ship-- where anonymity would protect them if they wanted to "come out" as an atheist or some other radical theology to terrible to tell their congregants-- and yet I don't see anyone here confessing to such a dire thing.

I find your continual references to this supposed but apparently unsubstantiated "fact" incredibly offensive. But I've told you that before. Whatever.

I'm sorry about the link not working.

I don't know why you put the word 'fact' in quotes. I didn't use that particular word, or claim that anything was 'factual'. A cliché is an overfamiliar idea (or phrase, etc). It may not tell the whole truth. In fact, it probably doesn't, as it's a blunt instrument, a stereotype. The cliché in question (which I modified with the word 'almost') may not even be informed by much actual contact with mainstream church clergy.

But the problem is that you seem to think I'm presuming to speak for your context when I bring certain issues up. That's not the case. I wouldn't dream of telling an American evangelical and intellectual 'how it is'. Your experience is obviously going to be very different from mine, and I wouldn't argue about that.

However, I live in an English city, and the churches I attend generally have smallish, elderly congregations. Most of the members are not particularly intellectual. Of course, some CofE churches (and even some Methodist and URC ones) are well-heeled, youthful and cerebral, but the scenario I'm in is fairly common. That being the case, it's understandable if the clergy don't feel they can share everything with their congregations. (I've heard clergymen say this more than once.) It's not that they're not trying to be duplicitous, and I don't think they're cynical people.

Having said that, atheism is obviously very extreme, and I wouldn't say it's widespread in the British clergy. Apparently 2% of CofE clergy are atheists, and 16% are agnostics. The older ones seem to be less certain than the younger ones. And there are obviously different ways of being an atheist. Some clergy will see it as compatible with their priestly role while others will struggle in some way.

I think there are few clergy on the Ship who don't necessarily share all their unorthodox theological perspectives with their congregations. But perhaps that discussion needs a thread of its own.

quote:
Svitlana is somewhere in the UK, but it seems that all of the clergy there (wherever it is they reside) are theologically illiterate, incapable of communicating anything effectively, up to their necks in hypocrisy and exercise a deceit in living a lifestyle they don't actually believe in. It sounds quite awful and we really only can but pray for her.

Please see what I said above. Also, regarding que sais-je's reference to 'Honest to God', this American text talks about the clergyman's difficulty in 'bridging the gap between the seminary and the pew'. So this isn't a problem that I've just made up, or that just impinges on what you see as the strange place where I have the misfortune to attend church....

Again, though, I fully accept that your situation is quite different. Your church may be quite cerebral, and your minister very much in tune intellectually with his/her flock. Such churches could be successful at publicly transitioning to some sort of Death of God theology if the scenario mentioned in the OP ever came about. But who knows? Fortunately the scenario is utterly unrealistic.

(BTW, I very much need and appreciate prayer, and the churches here could certainly do with it too, but an offer of prayer shouldn't be used as a form of criticism or sarcasm. Just criticise me plainly, if you must. Sorry if I've misunderstood you, though.)

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually don't think anything much would happen at all. Science and secularism has been chipping away at Christianity's claim to be 'the Truth' for a while now and have gradually been demonstrating that more and more doctrines and beliefs held by the churches are wrong or at best accretions of ritual onto a kernel of truth.

If people want to read this stuff it's out there, it's out there in post modern theologians, in Biblical criticism, in neuroscience, in Biology, in physics - we already have enough evidence to suggest to us that God as conceived in Christianity most likely does not exist.

But people still want to believe in something, on some level they NEED to believe in something. I think maybe it's a side effect of sentience. If there was somehow conclusive proof that God did not exist it too would be dismissed by people who had a deep investment in their truth and NEEDED to believe in it. I have a feeling the devil would be blamed just as he's blamed for planting fossils to test our faith.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know why you put the word 'fact' in quotes. I didn't use that particular word, or claim that anything was 'factual'. A cliché is an overfamiliar idea (or phrase, etc). It may not tell the whole truth. In fact, it probably doesn't, as it's a blunt instrument, a stereotype. The cliché in question (which I modified with the word 'almost') may not even be informed by much actual contact with mainstream church clergy.

But the problem is that you seem to think I'm presuming to speak for your context when I bring certain issues up. That's not the case. I wouldn't dream of telling an American evangelical and intellectual 'how it is'. Your experience is obviously going to be very different from mine, and I wouldn't argue about that.

However, I live in an English city, and the churches I attend generally have smallish, elderly congregations. Most of the members are not particularly intellectual. Of course, some CofE churches (and even some Methodist and URC ones) are well-heeled, youthful and cerebral, but the scenario I'm in is fairly common. That being the case, it's understandable if the clergy don't feel they can share everything with their congregations. (I've heard clergymen say this more than once.) It's not that they're not trying to be duplicitous, and I don't think they're cynical people.

Having said that, atheism is obviously very extreme, and I wouldn't say it's widespread in the British clergy. Apparently 2% of CofE clergy are atheists, and 16% are agnostics. The older ones seem to be less certain than the younger ones. And there are obviously different ways of being an atheist. Some clergy will see it as compatible with their priestly role while others will struggle in some way.

I think there are few clergy on the Ship who don't necessarily share all their unorthodox theological perspectives with their congregations. But perhaps that discussion needs a thread of its own.)

Perhaps it does, and perhaps it should be in hell, because I find your comments hellishly offensive. fwiw.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2% doesn't sound like very many to me. Anyway atheism was the accusation the Roman empire used to justify the first persecution of Christians so maybe it was ever thus.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin, you points are fair enough, but you must admit, surely, that you're indulging in examples of the very worst stereotypes of 'religion' in order to make them.

The things I mentioned aren't "stereotypes", they're very real things that are really happening right now.

Granted, there are also many good things that are being done by religious people. But I think those people are also just good people, and would continue to feed the hungry, heal the sick, comfort the bereaved etc. even without the belief that God is telling them to do so.

Of course, that cuts both ways. BH, ISIS, etc. are largely made up of bad people, and they will continue to cause trouble. But without the ability to claim divine sanction for their evil they will be less able to recruit others to their cause, or to justify their actions to the wider world.

And as a nice little bonus, all the good people who do evil things because they honestly believe their God demands it would be able to stop doing them and focus on the good.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I actually don't think anything much would happen at all.

I agree. There is a logical problem with the OP. For a believer, God is the basis of Truth (even though we may constantly misunderstand it). How then could "God does not exist" be established? It couldn't correspond to divine Truth (big 'T') because if it's true there is no such thing. So it just a human empirical/rational conclusion - and could be erroneous. As an atheist I would take the same view, it could only at best, be 'subject to the current state of our knowledge'. I suspect people could adjust their theology if necessary ("What God really means is He doesn't exist in the way you think He does, He's much closer to my understanding of Him"). Millerism is a good example of such adjustments.

A message from God saying She did exist would be more of a problem for atheists. Suppose simultaneously everyone had the complete conviction of God's existence, I suspect it would be hard to explain on any scientific grounds except humans being capable of spontaneous global delusions. In which case any universally held belief becomes suspect. I'd prefer "God exists" in that scenario, as you say we need to believe in something and I prefer God to spontaneous global delusions.

The real problem would be if the Deity's existence was not only confirmed but She told us 'which' God she was. Perhaps fundamentalist Islam is the only true way! Maybe God supports the Jehovah's Witnesses.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
But without the ability to claim divine sanction for their evil they will be less able to recruit others to their cause, or to justify their actions to the wider world.

Doesn't the divine sanction help the good guys to recruit as well?

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...If people want to read this stuff it's out there, it's out there in post modern theologians, in Biblical criticism, in neuroscience, in Biology, in physics - we already have enough evidence to suggest to us that God as conceived in Christianity most likely does not exist.

That's a bit of a stretch, quite a claim.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
But without the ability to claim divine sanction for their evil they will be less able to recruit others to their cause, or to justify their actions to the wider world.

Doesn't the divine sanction help the good guys to recruit as well?
The good guys don't need divine sanction to the same extent, because the things they're trying to get people to do are good. There's no law against doing good things, and they don't come with any social disapproval. People would want to do them anyway.

Contrast evil things, where the divine sanction is needed in order to overcome the laws and social disapproval that work against them.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was interesting and hadn't heard it mentioned: The Methodist Church in the UK is encouraging members to give up "Church" for Lent. Elsewhere I read that some are encouraging believers to listen carefully to Atheists (philosophers, writers etc) for Lent.

I wonder how contemplating quote unquote "the end of Christianity" might help Christians..

--------------------
arse

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
The good guys don't need divine sanction to the same extent, because the things they're trying to get people to do are good. There's no law against doing good things, and they don't come with any social disapproval. People would want to do them anyway.

Nice theory, but for instance I don't see much evidence of an innate desire to spend more money on charity than on personal possessions in many of us. I think there's quite a strong innate desire to be selfish.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Nice theory, but for instance I don't see much evidence of an innate desire to spend more money on charity than on personal possessions in many of us. I think there's quite a strong innate desire to be selfish.
Yeah, but I don't see that much in the church either, consumerism has won.

I think Marvin is right, some people will want to help people whether motivated by faith or not, as it has other benefits of fulfilling our natural empathetic tendencies, it is seen a being good by society, helps personal happiness and creates meaning.

In our fictional post-theistic world good people will continue to be good, and bad people continue to be bad.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only 2%? I think the number is irrelevant, since a large percentage of people who wonīt declare themselves to be atheists engage in some type of theology that defines any specifically religious belief as "myth", including the ressurrection and the incarnation. And that seems to be the NORM, not the exception in mainline protestantism. The question "why are they priests if they donīt believe in God?" is not hard to answear. Well, they do it because itīs their job. If they werenīt paid for that, or had the capacity to find any other job that would pay as much, then theyīd probably not even be church-goers, let alone priests.

The you have the social bla bla bla sermons in this churches. Not because they care for the poor or the ecology, but simply because they have to fill the void caused by the fact they wonīt touch in any specifically religious subject.

Posts: 247 | From: Brazil | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
Only 2%? I think the number is irrelevant, since a large percentage of people who wonīt declare themselves to be atheists engage in some type of theology that defines any specifically religious belief as "myth", including the ressurrection and the incarnation. And that seems to be the NORM, not the exception in mainline protestantism.

Really? Odd, then, that I have encountered it fairly rarely in my 50+ years in mainline Protestantism. I've also for the most part managed to avoid encountering the preachers who are hesitant to touch religious subjects, or who shy away from preaching the incarnation and the resurrection.

What's your evidence?

[ 12. February 2016, 13:30: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
The real problem would be if the Deity's existence was not only confirmed but She told us 'which' God she was. Perhaps fundamentalist Islam is the only true way! Maybe God supports the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Reminding me of the old joke about the Catholic priest on the phone to Rome:

"Hello? Holy Father? I have good news and I have bad news."

"What's the good news?"

"The Lord has returned! I can see him with my own eyes!"

"That's wonderful! What could possibly be bad news?"

"I'm in Salt Lake City."

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
I think the event that could demonstrate the non-existence of God has already happened: the crucifixion of Jesus. Muddled local politics and thoughtless brutality get the better of the world's best ever hope. Worst of all, when you think about it, it was obviously going to end this way; hope and love versus fearful power? A no brainer.. It always will end this way, always has done. The cross is the death of Jesus and of God, or of the hope that there might be a God.

Very interesting post. These ideas have probably impelled many atheists to focus on the omnipotence of God, and ask, well, where is it, and what use is it, in the face of so much suffering in the world?

As against that, some very ingenious explanations by theists, for example, that God works via weakness and humiliation, not 'the power and the glory'.

But in fact, there are a ton of ideas like this - I find Simone Weil's ideas about God's withdrawal very interesting, and they are similar to some in Jewish mysticism. (God withdraws so that creation can be).

But then, again, you have to stop and ask, so what? So there is a God who is withdrawn, or who is weak, or emptied out? What good is this?

But then as Weil also says, if I withdraw (in the sense of ego-extinction), something transcendent seems to appear. What is this? Is this the light of the world in everything? But then this is found in some areas of Buddhism.

Well, this is just my ongoing self-talk.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It is oft quotes that religious give more to charity. However, it is only by 10%. Some of that 10% goes to the religious organisation itself.* With that factored out, the difference drops significantly.
Given that many religious organisations have quotas, institutional guilt and the advantage of being organised, it doesn't put faith in a massively huge positive as far as personal motivation.

*I don't mean administrative costs for the charitable giving, but running the church.

[ 12. February 2016, 14:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Only 2%? I think the number is irrelevant, since a large percentage of people who wonīt declare themselves to be atheists engage in some type of theology that defines any specifically religious belief as "myth", including the ressurrection and the incarnation. And that seems to be the NORM, not the exception in mainline protestantism. The question "why are they priests if they donīt believe in God?" is not hard to answear. Well, they do it because itīs their job. If they werenīt paid for that, or had the capacity to find any other job that would pay as much, then theyīd probably not even be church-goers, let alone priests.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I never said that a lot of ministers are atheists. My original point was that the clergy in historical denominations don't necessarily share their unorthodox theology with their congregations, and that this is fairly well known. This unorthodox theology may include atheism, as I implied, but in most cases surely it doesn't.

Secondly, I ought to emphasise that there are cultural differences in play here. That 2% figures refers to Anglican clergy in England, Wales And Scotland. However, my impression is that American 'mainline' churches, TEC in particular, have a much larger liberal contingent than is the case in Great Britain, which is where I live. The USA, after all, has a wide choice of evangelical/conservative alternatives, whereas GB is dominated by one denomination that has to be all things to all men. The alternative denominations here, whether liberal or conservative, are far more limited in terms of numbers, demographics and geographical presence. And even the moderate non-Anglican clergy (for example, in the slightly more liberal British Methodist Church) will be aware that there are some conservative members in their congregations.

Perhaps what this means is that American mainline clergy feel more able to be open about their liberal beliefs. As I say though, I'm aware that some mainstream clergy in GB do have more solidly and openly liberal credentials, and the kinds of people who worship with them will be fully aware of what that means. In general, though I think it's more likely to be something intimated and felt rather proclaimed loudly from pulpits.

You live in Brazil. I understand that various forms of evangelicalism are currently very strong there. Maybe this means that your experience is similar to the USA's - your mainline (or mainstream, as we say in the UK) church ministers are freer to pursue a more openly liberal theology because they know that most of their more conservative church members have already left, due to the plethora of evangelical/conservative alternatives.

What do you think?

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think I'd slip onto a deep depression. Although my faith has had different aspects over the years...the ritual and traditions and knowledge God is there somewhere helps. When I miss church(lots lately due to major surgery) I find my week more depressed less fuctional.
On a broader level...I wonder how morality would be affected. I'm not saying God is everyone's reason to act as a decent human being but I could see much more living for self not others. I wonder about considered value of life. As in a psychiatrist with no faith who will force treatment on a person who is intent to die.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Firstly, I want to make it clear that I never said that a lot of ministers are atheists.

Me neither. Thatīs why I said the number is "irrelevant". My point is exactly the opposite. Mainline clergy is not interested in being openly atheist, neither in defending theism. God is a "non-factor" in mainline denominations. Not that they will explicitly deny him, but their theology doesnīt need God at all. Take any social justice discourse from an atheist. Add some phrases talking metaphorically about "God", claiming that he demands us to love our neighbourse, which of course means, adopt a left-wing agenda. Then you have a mainline sermon. You can put the incarnation, the ressurection, God or whatever image you want in the sermon, but thatīs merely an illustration.

quote:
My original point was that the clergy in historical denominations don't necessarily share their unorthodox theology with their congregations, and that this is fairly well known. This unorthodox theology may include atheism, as I implied, but in most cases surely it doesn't.
Agree. My point is not that the majority of mainline clergy are atheists. My point is they really donīt care. Wether God exists or not, itīs irrelevant for a mainline episcopalian or anglican. Of course, there are exceptions, with some being open about their non-belief in a theistic God. The fact that these exceptions can achieve high positions in these churches hierarchy means that, even if the rest of the clergy donīt share their extreme views, they simply donīt care. The fact that the episcopal church had openly atheists as bishop or dean of the national cathedral obviously doesnīt mean the majority of the clergy is also atheists. It simply means that they donīt care, because God is not a relevant part ot their theology. What matters is the social justice discourse.

quote:

Secondly, I ought to emphasise that there are cultural differences in play here. That 2% figures refers to Anglican clergy in England, Wales And Scotland. However, my impression is that American 'mainline' churches, TEC in particular, have a much larger liberal contingent than is the case in Great Britain, which is where I live. The USA, after all, has a wide choice of evangelical/conservative alternatives, whereas GB is dominated by one denomination that has to be all things to all men. The alternative denominations here, whether liberal or conservative, are far more limited in terms of numbers, demographics and geographical presence. And even the moderate non-Anglican clergy (for example, in the slightly more liberal British Methodist Church) will be aware that there are some conservative members in their congregations.

Perhaps what this means is that American mainline clergy feel more able to be open about their liberal beliefs. As I say though, I'm aware that some mainstream clergy in GB do have more solidly and openly liberal credentials, and the kinds of people who worship with them will be fully aware of what that means. In general, though I think it's more likely to be something intimated and felt rather proclaimed loudly from pulpits.

You live in Brazil. I understand that various forms of evangelicalism are currently very strong there. Maybe this means that your experience is similar to the USA's - your mainline (or mainstream, as we say in the UK) church ministers are freer to pursue a more openly liberal theology because they know that most of their more conservative church members have already left, due to the plethora of evangelical/conservative alternatives.

What do you think? [/QB]

No. The church Iīm in has a lot of conservatives. You wonīt find clergy being open about their "non-beliefs". You will find clergy preaching only about social justice, gender ideology and ecology. If someone say that we are all sinners and need to repent and have faith in Jesus in order to be saved, this person is going to be mocked or furiously criticized for being a "fundamentalist".

When all sermons are filled with stuff that any atheist left-wing person could agree 100%, and the mere affirmation of a creedal dogma is furiously attacked as being "fanatical", then you come to the conclusion that God and the christian religion have become irrelevant. They will not openly deny it because their job depends on that, but will simply avoid and roll their eyes over it. [Roll Eyes]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Ah, I see. But you seem to find the situation with the clergy rather frustrating. The obvious question is, why would you stay in such a church when you have so many alternatives available?

You don't have to answer that question, of course; the point is that all of us, whether clergy or laity, have to look at the pros and cons when it comes to choosing or remaining at a particular church. The theology preached is a highly important factor, but evidently not the only one.

With regard to the OP, then, perhaps a church with clergy like yours would have a fair chance of reinventing itself and surviving. But it would still lose members.

gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

quote:
Ah, I see. But you seem to find the situation with the clergy rather frustrating. The obvious question is, why would you stay in such a church when you have so many alternatives available?

You don't have to answer that question, of course; the point is that all of us, whether clergy or laity, have to look at the pros and cons when it comes to choosing or remaining at a particular church. The theology preached is a highly important factor, but evidently not the only one.

With regard to the OP, then, perhaps a church with clergy like yours would have a fair chance of reinventing itself and surviving. But it would still lose members.

Well, actually there arenīt so many options. The fact that there are many denominations available in one country doesnīt mean all these denominations are present in every region, let alone in every city!

Where I live, there is only one traditional protestant denomination. The other churches are either catholic or pentecostal.

Plus, I donīt think I have to leave the denomination if my beliefs are according to our confessional documents and our constitution. People who do NOT believe this stuff should consider leaving...

The point is, most people who decide to become pastors do that when they are very young and they are very ingenous. They have a sincere faith in God and an honest desire to learn more about him and preach the gospel.

When they enter the seminary, they discover what is taught there is very different from what they expected. To hold orthodox christian views in the seminary is not only unnecessary, but itīs even a reason for a person to be seen as fundamentalist. After a few years of study, most will probably leave their old beliefs behind. However they are trained to conduct liturgy as if they actually believed all the stuff. You have to learn to be hypocritical. If the seminary is not enough to destroy your faith (many will give up on ministry before being ordained), a few more years in the ministry will do. After you have invested everything on becoming a minister and then realizes you donīt actually believe all that religious stuff what do you do? Well, you need your job to pay your bills, so you become a "liberal" or "progressive" christian, in other words: you donīt actually believe any of that christian stuff but you have to "liturgically" talk about God, and you fill the sermon part with lots of talk about gender, ecology, etc, and reject those whose opinions are influenced by the Bible or traditional christian beliefs as being "fundamentalist".

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
gorpo: Where I live, there is only one traditional protestant denomination. The other churches are either catholic or pentecostal.
What else would you want to become? Orthodox?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
gorpo: Where I live, there is only one traditional protestant denomination. The other churches are either catholic or pentecostal.
Hey now.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I never said that a lot of ministers are atheists. My original point was that the clergy in historical denominations don't necessarily share their unorthodox theology with their congregations, and that this is fairly well known. This unorthodox theology may include atheism, as I implied, but in most cases surely it doesn't.

...What do you think?

I know this wasn't directed toward me, but if I may continue to share my 2 cents...

I think you are repeating yourself. Yes, I understand you're not saying it is all clergy. Yes, I understand that you're talking about an undefined "unorthodox" theology of which atheism would be only one expression.

But again, as a clergyperson, I find it offensive. I find it offensive to suggest that clergy in any significant numbers, whether herre or in the UK, are as inauthentic as you are suggesting.

Yes, there are things we may or may not choose to "unpack" in a 20 minute sermon-- simply because they are too complex and require to much contextualization. But that seems light years away from what you are suggesting.

And yes, there probably are some clergy whose beliefs shift so significantly as to really disqualify them from ministry, but they are unwilling to leave behind their job (altho it's not like clergy are extraordinarily well paid...). But I don't believe that is anywhere near as significant a number as you seem to think. Our ministry, our work, is based more than anything else on authenticity. To suggest it is all a sham is a huge, offensive implication about our integrity.

Now, of course, in the end, there is no way to know. Neither you nor I know what is in the hearts and minds of anyone else-- whether clergy in the US, Brazil, or UK. We cannot know. I can only speak to my own experience, and the deep offense I find in your remarks.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Hey now.
I couldn't resist [Smile]

(I realise this is a tangent. Gorpo is talking about Brazil. The Orthodox church has a small but beautiful presence in that country. I know a number of Orthodox clergy, and I'm honoured to call them my friends.)

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

cliffdweller

I didn't respond directly to your accusation above because I didn't really understand what was offensive, and didn't want to pursue the matter with you if you didn't think I was making any sense.

But I see now that you think I'm claiming that the clergy are by and large 'inauthentic'. This isn't a word I would use. Indeed, I'd say say that many moderate clergy in mainstream churches here try hard to respond in a pastorally sensitive way to the circumstances around them. That's a priority that they live up to authentically in their identity as caring and compassionate ministers of religion.

As I said in a post above, I don't think the clergy are bad people, nor that they're cynical. I haven't said that 'significant' numbers of clergy are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. If I thought that I wouldn't have much to do with them, but I still worship in historical, moderate churches week after week! In fact, I can't seem to tear myself away from them, in spite of everything!

I've never argued with any of the clergy or the theologians I've known about what they should or shouldn't be preaching - as if it were my job to tell them that! What I've done here is repeated some of the challenges as they've presented them to me, and what I've come across in academic texts and in the culture that I'm familiar with. I've made extrapolations about the USA and Brazil, but I admit I could well be wrong about those places. I'm very happy to be corrected there.

Once again, I accept that your experience is very different from mine, and I'm interested to hear more about that, when the opportunity arises. True, there's no point in me repeating myself when you could be helping us - me - understand where you're coming from. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

[ 12. February 2016, 19:17: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Well I certainly am trying and have been trying to help you understand my experience. If I'm failing at that perhaps it's because I'm simply flabbergasted that anyone would not see how offensive your suggestion would be. I may be reacting more strongly than others but I don't sense that I'm alone in this or that mine is a uniquely American experience in this regard.

Authenticity is about far more than just "pastoral sensibility" although that certainly helps. It's about integrity and congruency. It's about being honest and forthcoming, even or especially re our struggles, doubts, and conflicts. Some of us may at times find ourselves trapped in a congregation that won't allow for that degree of vulnerability but I don't believe it's the norm.

As I said before, neither of us can know for sure which of us is correct re how many clergy are living a lie. We can't know what's in someone else's heart or mind. All I can speak to with assurance is my own. Which is what I have done

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are certainly not alone, but at least she's consistent.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not offensive in the slightest SvitlanaV2.

You've handled it brilliantly.

The clergy very rarely get real, honest, raw, inclusive. Very rarely give the best sermon; 'Me too'. Very rarely challenge the evil, insane, irrational, superstitious, intolerant, magical beliefs of the hand that feeds them. Worse, they are supine in the face of their almost universal warmongering, homophobic superiors. I find that failure to be infinitely depressingly offensive. And forgivable as it shows how pathetic and weak and frightened and ignorant they are.

I've challenged the insanity of Greg Boyd's demiurgy here and no one took offense. So I don't see how they could possibly take offense at what you say.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
...If people want to read this stuff it's out there, it's out there in post modern theologians, in Biblical criticism, in neuroscience, in Biology, in physics - we already have enough evidence to suggest to us that God as conceived in Christianity most likely does not exist.

That's a bit of a stretch, quite a claim.
Well I did couch it with 'most likely' as I'm not trying to come across as saying that people who hold faith are stupid or deluded. I don't think they are. I am a baby Atheist (or rather non-Theist) and I don't want to be I just have come to that conclusion after many many years of thought and struggle. To quote a victim of the Inquisition: "I am so made that I cannot believe."

I just know that my reading around this area which is increasing wide ranging and voracious as I really want to know WHY it is we are the way we are and WHY we act the way we do, indicates that the claims of classical Christianity are not objectively true in their descriptions of human nature and in their solutions to that description.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't back-pedal Macrina. He does NOT exist. A far greater, far more ineffable, far better one does.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

Đ Ship of Fools 2016