homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Making a faith statement.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Making a faith statement.
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter attends a government school. Each year they have an Easter bonet parade. I am not very confident in sharing my faith...as such and don't want to preach or offend but I'd like to wear a hat with a Christian symbol...but suttle like the t shirt I had at Christmas stating Christ in Christmas equated to feeding the hungry welcoming the stranger.
Firstly is this a really silly idea and secondly...what could I wear? I thought of a fish a cross...Mayr just words like eternity new life hope...

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She could go dressed as Anastasia from the 1997 Disney film of the same name (the name being derived from the Greek word transliterated as anastasis, meaning resurrection).

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a 'faith based' Halloween party at my church dressed as a loaf of Wonder bread -- the white plastic bag with the red-and-blue dots is very distinctive and is easily made out of a white garbage bag. My husband went dressed as a fish stick. So we were the loaves and the fishes. Threats to multiply were met with cries of dismay.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people are using the butterfly as a symbol of resurrection. Could add a small cross if being more explicit matters.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I went to a 'faith based' Halloween party at my church dressed as a loaf of Wonder bread -- the white plastic bag with the red-and-blue dots is very distinctive and is easily made out of a white garbage bag. My husband went dressed as a fish stick. So we were the loaves and the fishes. Threats to multiply were met with cries of dismay.

[Overused]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bronwyn

Not sure how artistic you are but googling Christian symbolism brings up a complex symbolic tradition which is not simply limited to the cross, fish and dove that so often appear.

If you are feeling very artistic you have options of birds like the phoenix (resurrection) and peacock (eternal life). If you want simpler things then five red flowers would stand for the crucifixion or a vine would represent Christ with gourds symbolising resurrection. If you want something associated with Easter and representing christ then a small toy lamb might be something to include among the decoration.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
She could go dressed as Anastasia from the 1997 Disney film of the same name (the name being derived from the Greek word transliterated as anastasis, meaning resurrection).

A
[Overused] for this too!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankyou. Still thinking. Great ideas. Clever ideas.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A dark T-shirt with big letters saying "UNBELIEVERS WILL BURN!" [Two face]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or one with music notes and Heaven, I'm in heaven....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016