homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » forgive us our debts

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: forgive us our debts
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just following on from a post in Ecc, I was thinking about the Lord's prayer. I fairly often reflect that it doesn't seem to say what we think it says.

The common version in many churches talks about "forgive us our sins/trespasses" - and yet it seems that the words used are talking about (financial) debts - which I guess we are expanding to include all kinds of sinful actions.

In Luke 11:4 the word is ὀφείλοντι - which Strong has as owing money. Matt 6 has οπηειλεμα - again which is about owing money, according to Strongs.

πειρασμοσ is also an interesting word (as discussed in Ecc) - with the use of the word "temptation" implying that a) God puts temptations in our way and b) that God can be persuaded not to put temptations in our way with sufficient prayer.

Interestingly, most churches (formally liturgical and not so) I've ever attended add the ending "For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."

I'm not exactly sure where that comes from.

Anyway, just a thought: maybe we could discuss some of this?

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in Scotland we use "debts".

Here, we use 罪を (tsumi-o) which carries connotations of "crimes".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI in NT Greek there was no distinction between debts and trespasses. This is certainly the case in modern German. The word Schuld covers both.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm re-posting here what I posted on the other thread because I think the structure is syntactically and semantically significant.

The whole prayer is a series of balanced psalm-like parallelisms around a central petition with (as used in public worship) a concluding doxology.

So:
code:
        Our father in heaven || hallowed be your name
           Your kingdom come || your will be done on earth as in heaven
               Give us today our daily bread
        Forgive us our sins || as we forgive those who sin against us
Lead us not into temptation* || but deliver us from evil

[* or Do not put us to the test or Do not bring us to the time of trial]

Each pair of parallel statements encapsulates a single idea: God's holiness; a desire that his rule will be made real; a plea for forgiveness; and a plea for protection.

The first three pairs of parallel statements all use synonymous or synthetical parallelism where the second element either restates or builds and develops what is stated in the first. The fourth pair of parallel statements uses antithetical parallelism, in which the statement is reinforced by having the parallel members express opposite sides of the same thought.

I think the ELLC English version best captures the thought of the Greek. It does have the idea that both difficult times and good times come from God, but avoids the idea (partly flowing from the more modern understanding of 'tempation') that God some how entices us to do evil.

The ending ("thine is the kingdom…") can be found in the Authorised Version of the Bible and is present in some ancient manuscripts, but is mostly regarded as not original. There is a helpful piece on it in Wikipedia

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
The fourth pair of parallel statements uses antithetical parallelism, in which the statement is reinforced by having the parallel members express opposite sides of the same thought.

I don't understand what you mean by this: what is the thought that the parallel statements are expressing opposite sides of?

--------------------
arse

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, tossing a wild pre-caffeine thought into the ring -- forgive us for our having gotten into debt which makes us slaves to the need for money and focused on worry about losing it all, instead of focused on God and enjoying freedom to delight in life?

I grasping for a way to see "forgive our debts" as something other than what it sounds -- "God should pay our debts or get the creditor to write them off." In what ways is incurring debt (what our culture thrives on, all those credit cards) an offense to God that we need to ask God's forgiveness?

Seems like "trespasses" has to be other than just taking a harmless shortcut across a field. I can see disdain for others or self righteousness underlying a concept of trespass. Maybe "debts" is meant to convey that disdain or arrogant self righteousness? The feeling you have a right to what you want, which plunges you into debt?

Could asking for forgiveness of debts be a shorthand for asking forgiveness for the attitudes that led us to get into debt? But in this credit card age we also have to deal with "why is debt bad?" Is going into debt is how I got to buy a house, or how a friend got medical care (she's uninsured, docs here don't do free), a sin?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
The fourth pair of parallel statements uses antithetical parallelism, in which the statement is reinforced by having the parallel members express opposite sides of the same thought.

I don't understand what you mean by this: what is the thought that the parallel statements are expressing opposite sides of?
It's a prayer for protection from bad things.

It functions in a similar way to a statement which says "Don't lie down in the face of oppression, but stand up and fight for the right." The single idea is about resisting oppression. It is given rhetorical effect by first stating it in negative and then in positive terms.

So in the Lord's Prayer "do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from evil" expresses first negatively and then positively a prayer to be protected from evil.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the story of the Unmerciful Servant in Matt 18 Jesus uses financial debt as an analogy for much wider issues of "sinning against" and "forgiving wrong" (not just letting people off money owed).

Then in Mark 10:45 Jesus refers to his own death as a "ransom" which is a financial sum paid.

Feels like Jesus used this analogy of debt=wrong done elsewhere so maybe that helps our understanding of this terminology in the Lord's Prayer.

[ 20. October 2015, 16:44: Message edited by: Jammy Dodger ]

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Hmm, tossing a wild pre-caffeine thought into the ring -- forgive us for our having gotten into debt which makes us slaves to the need for money and focused on worry about losing it all, instead of focused on God and enjoying freedom to delight in life?

I think the "being enslaved" part of indebtedness is very real, though it's probably not the need for money per se. In our societies it's an enslavement to a system that piles loads of expectations on our shoulders - which are mostly, in part, material and require money to achieve. So, it's not money that enslaves, but money could well be the chains that hold us.

My understanding of the ancient world was that indebtedness was of a different character, and quite often the slavery very real. AIUI, if you were forced to borrow money and failed to repay it then one of the common ways to repay that debt was through indebted servitude, to literally be a slave of the person you owed until such a time as the work you'd done was deemed sufficient to have paid off the debt. One way out of that was for a wealthy benefactor (usually a close relative) to pay a ransom, paying off the debt and releasing you from forced servitude. Which is, of course, one of the images the NT uses for salvation.

However, the problem with the Lords Prayer is that "forgive us our debts" is to say that we owe God, because God can't forgive debts we owe to others (only they can do that) - although He can pay off those debts on our behalf, that isn't the same as writing them off which is what most of use think of when we pray that. But, the Bible suggests that we aren't enslaved to God, the debts we owe are not to God but to other forces.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may, I might re-iterate a thought I raised on here a while back; I usually pray as if I am saying 'forgive us...IF we forgive those who...' - but the word is 'AS'.

As well as implying that God's forgiveness of us hangs somehow on our forgiveness of others (however the causality works in that correlation - for me on a good day it's God's forgiveness which is the cause of my own) the 'AS' also implies for me an equivalence of the *manner* of that forgiveness - its nuts and bolts.

So - I can't unilaterally forgive my wife for being such a pain in the hole in loud and magnanimous fashion without f*cking her off royally. She has to ask for forgiveness, or it won't stick and do anything for her. This helps me understand why I must approach God and repent, if I am to stand any chance against my own rapacious little ego.

[ 04. November 2015, 11:19: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
...As well as implying that God's forgiveness of us hangs somehow on our forgiveness of others...

This ties in with Luke 6:37-38
quote:
‘Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.’
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016