homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The sin that clings so closely

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The sin that clings so closely
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hebrews 12:1 discusses the
the sin that clings so closely

I have always been intrigued by this phrase. Can anyone shed light on its meaning?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Greek word is εὐπερίστατον.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that it literally means the sin that is good at surrounding you?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sin that clings so closely - yes, that resounds with me!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not knowing Greek - is there an article in front of "sin?" In other words, is the author writing of sin, in general, which clings closely to us (which makes sense to me), or is the text suggesting there's a specific sin or type of sin to which the author is alluding?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Mamacita: Not knowing Greek - is there an article in front of "sin?"
Yes there is (τὴν). But articles in Greek are different from those in English. I wouldn't draw the conclusion from this that it's about a specific sin.

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The descriptive word is a compound adjective, appearing just the once in the New Testament (and I couldn't find another instance anywhere else in the contemporary literature). Louw-Nida's Lexicon defines it as: “pertaining to the exertion of tight control—‘being in control of, controlling tightly’”.

Presumably this definition is derived from the meaning usually associated with the three words that combine to form the adjective. It denotes something that is very good at completely ensnaring. In Hebrews it fits quite nicely as a definition of rebellion, the results of which drag down on people like a heavy weight and prevent them from living the life of the right way (“running the race” metaphor).

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this where we get the notion in English of a besetting sin?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure where Christians got the idea of being besetted – but it may have an overlap with the Hebrews use.

I picture a gladiator ring. One of the combatants turfs up with a stabbing sabre and small shield, but wearing precious little else (probably Kirk Douglas covered in oil), and the other player pootles into the ring with a lance and a weighted net. This latter gladiator is about twice the height of the first suffers from a John Wayne walk and a garish yet toothy grin.

As they circle each other warily, Kirk d'Oil feints with a right hand stab while keeping the rather small shield at a respectful height to cover his shiny torso. Suddenly, however, Jaws snaps his wrist and the net flies out, neatly covering Kirky in a weighted embrace, crimping his stance to no small extent.

“Egad!” Sputters Kirk, “I've been besetted!” What he should have said, of course, is: “Egad! I've been pertained to the exertion of tight control! I am being controlled tightly!”

Never mind. I'm sure it worked out all right in the end.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to refer to the wonderfully British public school attitude of "spare the rod and spoil the child" found in the old testament. God loves his children and surely isn't going to spoil them, and nor should human parents. And if the little bugger won't conform, take him to the elders and have him stoned to death. That's the way to do it.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016