homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » book recommendations on the eremitical life

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: book recommendations on the eremitical life
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just finished Sara Maitland's A Book Of Silence. I've also read Maggie Ross' The Fire Of Your Life, and Thomas Merton. Other books to be recommended on the solitary/eremitical religious life?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have read The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton? Except I don't think he was a solitary -- as I recall Merton was a Benedictine.
The novel I know best about the cloistered life is In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You have read The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton? Except I don't think he was a solitary -- as I recall Merton was a Benedictine.

As I understand it, Merton wanted to be a bit more solitary than his abbot would fully allow him to be.

I understand that Seven Storey Mountain is not quite as good as Merton's later books. Or at least that Merton became interested in the relations between contemplation and social justice or in interfaith relations only later on. (The first Merton I read was Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander, which I think had a big effect on my thinking.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do read Nicholas Buxton Tantalus and the Pelican.

Both an autobiographical account of his journey from atheism to Christianity via Buddhism and an account of the origins of monasticism.

He was a participant in some reality TV show called The Monastery,

I picked up the book in Ripon Cathedral's shop and found myself calling out "Good man" at the introduction.

He's spent time at the Carthusian monastery at Parkminster. Carthusians are monks who are effectively hermits.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a very different tradition try Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer by Catherine De Hueck Doherty.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Michael Talbot (folk rock musician turned Franciscan and founder of the Brothers and Sisters of Charity, an integrated monastic community comprised of celibate brothers and sisters, single people and married people) has written several books about monastic life, including eremetic:

Hermitage: its heritage and challenge for the future

Meditations from solitude

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding Thomas Merton:
'The Seven Story Mountain' is the first of his books about his life as a Trappist, at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky. He said a a lot of things in it that he probably later wished he hadn't!
'The Sign of Jonas' is his journal of his first years there, covering his solemn profession, his ordination to the priesthood and other major events in his life. Throughout this work he wrestles with the notion of either leaving to become a Carthusian (thus more solitary) or persuading the abbot to allow him a hermitage (which was finally granted). 'Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander' is a much later journal.
After his death the community published his complete(?) journals in IIRC 5 volumes.
His 'Selected Poems,' published in 1959 by New Directions, is a superb collection, with many of the poems reflecting on the monastic life.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Carthusians are monks who are effectively hermits.

Yes. There are books of Carthusian spiritual writings. They're usually (always?) published anonymously, as being by "A Carthusian". Also, check out the film Into Great Silence, which is an extraordinarily beautiful film about their strange, hard life.

For the classical eremitic life, you can't do better than any of the collections of the lives and sayings of the Desert Mothers and Fathers.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear Our Silence, by John Skinner, is an interesting read. He asked to stay with the Carthusians, so he could write about them, and they let him live as one of them, which they don't usually do.

There is also Verena Schiller's A Simplified Life: A Contemporary Hermit's Experience of Solitude and Silence - she writes about her experience as an Anglican hermit.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I have not read it you might look at The Song of the Lark which talks of the founding of the Society of Our Lady of the Isles as part Carthusian, part Celtic Episcopalian Religious Order.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could look at Ravensbread and subscribe to the magazine and investigate the various resources there.

Also, Fellowship of Solitaries

Eve Bakers books are very good although out of print now, you might be able to get a copy on Amazon.

'Solitude and Communion - Prayers on the Hermit Life' pubd by SLG press and still available.

'The Hermitage Within' by A Monk. pubd by Darton Longman & Todd, and available on Amazon. This monk is a Cistercian.

Sr Rachel Overton a solitary based in the Peterborough Diocese. Also there is a YouTube (which I haven't listened to) of her giving a talk here

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh, Duh, ' Papers on the Hermit Life' not Prayers on the Hermit Life' [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For an outsider's view, Patrick Leigh Fermor's "A Time to Keep Silence" is worth a read.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic that repays further reading is Athanasius' "Life of Antony."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
For an outsider's view, Patrick Leigh Fermor's "A Time to Keep Silence" is worth a read.

Oh, that is such a beautiful book!

And now I'm perturbed because I can't find my copy.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016