homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Joys of the countryside

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Joys of the countryside
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else enjoy country shows - the sort with cows and pigs, mini farmers' markets, sheep-shearing competitions, quirky events like ferret racing, etc?

It's the animals that make it for me - you get to see some beautiful animals and sometimes the chance to see rare breeds close up. Here's one of my favourites - Cotswold sheep, instantly recognizable by their dreadlocks.

There are many joys of life in rural areas - too many to list, or perhaps I'm just lucky in this area - but one of the joys of the morning commute is occasionally seeing deer in the fields from the train window, or a grey heron by a stream.

I love seeing the fields slowly turn from bare earth to green, then gold over the months, and the little streams that sparkle, with narrowboats moored peacefully, and the smoke drifting up lazily from their chimneys into the morning air.

What's your particular countryside pleasures? Going for long walks, blackberrying in the autumn, spring lambs? Forests in autumn? Village fetes? Share it with your shipmates.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a country boy, and I like this kind of things. Especially if they have demonstrations of how they harvested wheat 100 years ago and things like that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love things like that. When we were in Belfast we went to the Royal Agricultural Show (if that was the name of it). My husband was staggered by the size of the pigs.

In New Hampshire the biggest agricultural fair of the year was held at the beginning of October. It was pleasantly cool then, and I always attended. I liked looking at all the different animals. I especially enjoyed the horse pulling contests, which were held in the afternoon.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to any fairs since I came back to Virginia. The closest is held at the end of July, and events like the horse pulling are held in the evening. The older I get, the more heat-intolerant I am. I also don't like driving on unfamiliar roads after dark.

I really miss the fairs. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the colours. At the moment we have yellow broom, yellow gorse, pink campion, and white cow parsley in great drifts by the side of the roads.

The lambs are cute. The lambs this far north are born too late to be slaughtered for spring eating, so I won't be eating the lambs I can see until Sept / Oct, after a whole summer on grass. Yum! Our lamb and pork come from farms in the parish, and the strawberries and raspberries which have just hit the shops are from the next parish but one. I've just eaten courgettes from three parishes away, cooked in rapeseed oil from a neighbouring parish. Knowing where my food comes from is one of the great joys of country living.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mirfield Agricultural Fair doesn't have ferret racing but does have a llama gymkhana.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Small town country two day celebration. Love the horses all fixed up fancy for the parade each year. Hand crafts, chili cook off and such and music in the town square. Breakfast in the fire house and dancing under the stars. Every one knows each other which makes it special.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Australia, most country towns of any reasonable size will have an annual agricultural show, with displays of produce, equestrian events, sheepdog trials, cattle judging, woodchopping among the attractions. The culmination of the year is always the capital city show, with the Royal Easter Show in Sydney probably the best-known, especially for its Grand Parade.

The availability of fresh produce from home gardens or local farms is a joy. There is a citrus glut in some of our friends' yards at the moment, but I'm not sure that I'll have sufficient time for marmalade making, unlike last year when we churned out five or six different varieties.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see some of the seasonal changes on the first section of my commute which runs through fields, not as much as I used to cycling through the lanes to work. That I miss. I loved hearing the larks in season, the yellow hammers, turtle doves and cuckoos, spotting the orchids in amongst the grasses on the verges and seeing the old churchyard full of cowslips.

There was the week of the nightjar. Every night for a week one patch of hedgerow erupted into this bizarre noise, which had to be a nightjar. (I confirmed it on the RSPB website).

One cold night there was a deep exhalation of breath in my ear from the hedgerow. That and the gleaming eyes in minimal light showed a herd of deer waiting for me to pass so they could cross the road. So close I could have reached out and touched them.

Here the country shows don't match the Dorset ones I grew up with, where bowling for a pig and hog roasts always featured. Our Town Show is in a couple of weeks, usually planned to coincide with the annual fair visit. One end of the recreation ground has the fun fair, the rest has stalls and a central circle. We do have ferret racing at both that one and the May Fair, plus country crafts, including spinning and weaving.

The May Fair tends to have beekeeping and more rural crafts: maypole dancing, hedge laying, the local owl and birds of prey trust, llamas, led nature walks ... because that one is on a local nature reserve.

We seem to have lost the other town fair this year - stalls in the High Street with a fire-engine pull, stage in the market square with live music all day. Those stalls are usually run by all the local businesses and societies. In some ways it's less work as I usually end up helping on a stall, but in others it was a good showcase for the town.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do blacksmithing competitions at the Three Counties, which I always liked seeing: mostly it's making a set of horseshoes and fitting them on the horse, but sometimes it's making other items as well. I love seeing craftsmen at work, watching as the raw materials start to take shape and become something beautiful and polished. I think I liked the blacksmithing the best of all the crafts I've seen.

The Three Counties also used to have hounds as well, who would chase after a scent in one of the arenas. The sheer energy of the dogs was amazing: they were a constant swirl of motion, barely still for more than a second or so, just fluid movement. The Royal Show used to be very good for horses - that was where I first saw Cleveland Bay horses, which I thought were really beautiful. They're designated as a rare breed.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be one of a small (I suspect) number who remember blacksmithing as an everyday trade. My uncle kept two shire horses on the farm and shod them himself. He would have learnt from my grandfather who, besides farming and smithing, was also a carpenter, stonemason and occasional cobbler.

I would love the small, local, in the streets kind of agricultural show - but unfortunately, being a capital city/tourist magnet we have the Royal Highland Show which is out by the airport and costs £20+ to get in.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent a couple of days in the Netherlands last month (after almost 2 years), and I took my niece and nephew to a sheep / goat farm. It's a commercial farm, but they have a lot of educational activities and games for children.

It was wonderful (although admittedly this was caused in no small part by the delight of my niece and nephew in spending some time with their uncle).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather was a blacksmith, though he had stopped by the time I was born, and just farmed 20 acres. His son, my uncle, also became a blacksmith, but moved into wrought iron work.

Our church was fortunate enough to have a blacksmith in the congregation who provided us with all manner of fancy brackets, flower stands, hand rails and a sword of justice which is nailed to the lectern.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I saw two blacksmiths at work today. It wasn't the first time but I always like it.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Mirfield Agricultural Fair doesn't have ferret racing but does have a llama gymkhana.

I don't think the Llamas are there this year, but we could make it a ship meet.

What do you think?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most impressive things I have ever seen at a fair was a lumberjacks' contest, to see who could chop through a 12-by-12 the fastest. (They used milled lumber to make sure it was fair.) One man got through the lumber in forty-three seconds.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smithing is magical, it's a simple as that.

As, frankly, is the whole agricultural show. But I have a particular soft spot for the vintage ploughing match. There's something about the variety of strange and wonderful old machinery phuttering away in a parafinny fug, turning the soil over, with that magical smell of fresh soil that always makes me hungry (I have to careful around ploughing with horses, in case I try to eat one). I have ploughed before, once, but never in a match. Maybe one day? After all, I've laid a hedge!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to lots of smaller ones with my parents, as a child - holidays were always spent in our touring caravan on small Camping & Caravan Club rally sites, so often nearby one. My sister won a giant cuddly tiger at the Camelford Agricultural Show years ago so his name is Mr Camelford, and my dad would make up stories about him at bedtime.

Living semi-rurally (in an ex-MOD house on an ex-RAF base - like a weird suburb without an urban area to be suburban to) it's only a short walk or bus ride to the countryside.

What peculiar plumage nightjars have - reminds me of moth wings.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent 10 years teaching at a special school in a a very rural setting. Part of the curriculum included "Land based Studies" and each year the pupils would show our Jacob's sheep at two different rare breed shows. It was a glorious experience for all involved- they were involved from lambing right through rearing, preparing and showing. All in one of the most beautiful places I've ever known.
Education at its very best.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not done much visiting of County Shows although as a teenager I went to the Cheshire Show a few times. I've done a fair bit of country walking in Cheshire, we lived near Altrincham then in Knutsford - we were on the east side of Knutsford so close to the Dogwood entrance to Tatton Park - then later in the Sedbergh area when my parents had moved there after they retired. Now I walk about this area, sometimes to the river [part of The Kerala Backwaters] and, of course, we have Munnar and tea country just a few hours drive away - the highest tea plantations in the world - and incredibly beautiful.

To me a country walk is inextricably linked with photography and I wouldn't dream of walking without a camera.

To me there is something almost spiritual about a good walk, alone or with friends.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local hunt had its annual puppy show on Saturday on the lawn of the big house. (Glorious sunshine - right until the point where the thunder arrived), all the men in dark suits and bowler hats, and the women in their summer dresses. Silver spoons for the puppy walkers, bottles of whisky for the judges, and then a glorious tea in a marquee.

Good chance to catch up with everyone, as generally they haven't all been in one place together since the end of the season. Swap village gossip, gaze out over the fields as the children play in the ha-ha, and the lowing of the longhorn cattle in the home farm paddocks. Timings regulated by the mournful tolling of the bell in the clock above the stable block, and the occasional intervention of a peacock's shriek.

That was a pretty joyous day.

More generally; beagling, ploughing matches, harvest festival, traction engine rallies, the Game Fair, Boxing Day, evensong on sunny Sunday evenings, inter-hunt cricket matches, Aunt Sally, and the mad dash of the combines before the autumn rains come.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
I spent 10 years teaching at a special school in a very rural setting. Part of the curriculum included "Land based Studies" and each year the pupils would show our Jacob's sheep at two different rare breed shows. It was a glorious experience for all involved- they were involved from lambing right through rearing, preparing and showing. All in one of the most beautiful places I've ever known.
Education at its very best.

Absolutely, nothing like hands-on-ness for children. The Jacob’s sheep I’ve met have been very vocal – you can forget the traditional image of gentle sheep bleating "Baa" in high-pitched voices, these burp and gurk like a bunch of beered-up blokes at closing time, especially when they spot strangers. Hilarious if you aren’t expecting it.

Other country pleasures: going blackberrying, apple orchards, and fruit picking. We’re lucky to have some really good pick-your-own fruit farms nearby and there’s nothing like being in a grove of fruit trees on a warm summer day, with just the sound of the breeze rustling the leaves, the drone of passing bees, the occasional bird calling, and ripe, sunwarmed fresh fruit coming away easily from the stalks into your hand and basket. I always seem to end up picking more than I intended, for the pleasure of it.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Saint John Baptist (24 June) is the maize harvest feast in Brazil. People will dress up as 'peasants', there will be country fairs where farmers show there products and a lot of forró music and dance. I'm a bit sad that I'll miss it this year.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
unfortunately, being a capital city/tourist magnet we have the Royal Highland Show which is out by the airport and costs £20+ to get in.

which for those whose commute takes them anywhere near the Western edges of Embra, or need to go to the airport - is gathering a similar sort of resentment to those inconvenienced by the other "festivals" the city enjoys

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd call myself a "small-townie", having grown up in Kirkwall (population c.5,000) which is the county town (and if we're being pedantic, a City and Royal Burgh). The local County Agricultural Show takes place every August in a large park that backs onto the garden of my old house, and when I was a kid we always used to sneak in over the back wall, until the organisers decided to move the cattle to that side of the park ... [Eek!]

I used to quite enjoy going, but as much as anything for the chance to run into old friends - I can't really say I have a huge interest in cows, sheep or tractors (Orkney farmers don't generally keep piggies, which I always thought was rather a shame). [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year's Suffolk Show was brilliant - and the weather was better than anyone had dared to expect! We think it's much better than the Royal Norfolk Show (boo! hiss!), but then we're biased ...

My wife spent both days (as she always does) face-painting in the Diocesan Tent: - the CofE have a good presence here and always draw a good crowd. (My wife managed to evade the camera, though - possibly to avoid any safeguarding issues if children got snapped!)

[ 22. June 2015, 15:15: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago at the Suffolk Show, my mother trod on someone's foot. She turned round to apologise, realised she'd just stood on John Selwyn Gummer, so gave him a good stamp just to make sure!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he was (and is) very local. His son, Ben Gummer, is one of our local MPs: although I don't agree with his politics, I do think that he is an honest and thoughtful man and an outstanding constituency MP. (His office is very close to our church, so we've got to know him quite well).

Of course, it wasn't he who was given that famous burger, but his sister!

By the way, was your mother wearing high heels or welly-boots? It makes a difference!

[ 22. June 2015, 16:11: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

She should have offered him a burger and not taken no for an answer.

Speaking of which, I was just fitting my face into a large, juicy Aberdeen Angus burger bun at the Three Counties one year when suddenly Charles and Camilla came round the corner and started meeting and greeting people. I hastily shoved the burger into my handbag and wiped my greasy hands as best as I could, but although Camilla greeted the ladies on my right and left, and a small child nearby, somehow I failed to be noticed. Perhaps it was just as well as I hadn't entirely managed to get rid of all the grease on my fingers. In such circumstances all you can really do is shrug philosophically, retrieve the burger from your handbag and carry on where you left off.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother-in-law was arranging flowers in a tent at the Royal show somewhere in Warwickshire one year, when an annoying man came up behind her and started asking questions. It was only when she turned round she realised it was the Duke of Edinburgh!

We've just had the Big Skill at our local castle, which is a country craft weekend - basket weaving, workshops on stool making, pyrography, and so on. While I was there, two little boys were having their names burnt into the tops of the stools they had just made, and they looked pleased as Punch!

More generally in the countryside, seeing a red kite always makes me happy.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The countryside! This brings back such wonderful memories.

I grew up way out in the country; there were very few people and it took a while to get from our house to our friends' homes. We were surrounded by forests, streams and wildlife.

My younger brother and sister and I would run through the fields to the woods almost daily during the summer time. We would play in the creek that was about a mile below our house, watching water skippers and minnows, skipping stones and then finding wild hickory nuts and blackberries. Some of the old homestead ruins would have grapes and berry brambles that we would pick and carry home for Mom to make jelly or pie. Wild strawberries that grew along side the roads were abundant and tasted so much better than the cultivated variety!

Those memories are ones I go back to frequently. I can almost feel the warm breezes and hear the birds from my childhood right now. If only I could catch some lightening bugs tonight!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The good thing about a field at the bottom of your garden was haymaking time. The farmer would mow from the edges of the field towards the centre.

Then all the local cats would gather first fighting for position among themselves, then focussing as the central long grass got very small.

Then the mice which had beem driven into the centre would escape, make a run for it and chaos would break out.

Fun.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love them. Especially the ferret racing. And the flower and produce show section. And the WI stall. And those sheep with rasta fleeces. And the giant rabbits. And the tea tent. And the beer tent.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at school my father would get my brother and I special permission for a day off so that we could go to the Essex County Show. He would be showing stock and doing general farm business. It always felt like a very long, hard-working day and I think we would have preferred to stay at school. Nowadays, of course, I enjoy these Shows enormously and am overcome with nostalgia!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sadly the Essex Show is long gone (one of Mum's goats once won Reserve Best in Show there, circa 1980), and its ground is now a racecourse with a somewhat tenuous grasp on solvency.

Mind you, the Essex Young Farmers Show is doing its best to make up for it - smaller, but considerably better formed than the county show was in its fading years.

I always used to love seeing Stuart Surridge's stand with all the cricket bats being made from finest Essex willow. Nowadays I'm just amused that the rough timbers are known as clefts...

AG

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
The countryside! This brings back such wonderful memories.

I grew up way out in the country; there were very few people and it took a while to get from our house to our friends' homes. We were surrounded by forests, streams and wildlife.

That's my experience as well. It never leaves me and I've never really left it. Going out for a walk near to sunset is the closest I ever get to the joy of Heaven.

My parents came from London to take up a small farm in SW England during the early 50s. I was born into a world that now seems like a time-warp. We weren't a family for show going, burying ourselves in labour and soaking up the idyll was what we were about. Even now, when a Summer is like this one, my mind inevitably goes back to hay-making the old way [Smile]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just about remember being in the fields during harvestin what must have been the late 40s or early 50s, sitting in the little tent of a stook of corn (that's either wheat or barley, if you have the more limited use of the term) and smelling the straw and feeling the warmth. There must have been a reaper and binder, and my parents helping on my mother's friend's farm, loading sheaves onto the cart. Being on clay in the Weald, there were narrow ditches, a spade width, around the field, and I remember looking down into the miniature world of tiny plants by the little streamlet, overshadowed by grasses. Borrower country.

[ 26. June 2015, 22:07: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walking out of my front door and knowing that I could walk for 20 miles without hardly seeing another person, shop, traffic light or car. That's pretty good. Lots of sheep, horses and cows, though. Everywhere there is so much green, a colour I find very peaceful. And, at the right time of year, munching on the produce of the hedgerows, on blackberries or wild strawberries, as I walk.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I went fly fishing for the first time this morning.

We have trout for supper in a couple of hours.

The two facts are intimately linked.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
(unless you are a trout)

AG

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the region where I live, there are sometimes, perhaps once annually, gatherings focused on old steam-powered farm vehicles. Usually there are lots of other things going on as well.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we lived on the North Somerset coast, I used to drive to work in Taunton across the Quantock Hills (if I was very lucky, with the roof down on the car) and think 'Oh God, don't ever think I'm taking all this beauty for granted'. [Overused]

I still think that's some of the loveliest countryside in the realm.

The Nostalgic Mrs S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, I think fishing for trout is a little bit of Heaven! We didn't fly fish, as the line and carefully tied flies would get treed more often than not because we fished in small streams that were often overhung by a multitude of trees.

Pan fried trout is another piece of Heaven!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
When we lived on the North Somerset coast, I used to drive to work in Taunton across the Quantock Hills (if I was very lucky, with the roof down on the car) and think 'Oh God, don't ever think I'm taking all this beauty for granted'. [Overused]

I still think that's some of the loveliest countryside in the realm.

The Nostalgic Mrs S

I generally prefer the wilder moors and heathland, but surely the Wye Valley competes for some of the most beautiful countryside in the land?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - and the Dovey Valley as well [Axe murder]

There's lots of wonderful scenery left, thank God!

Mrs S, who now has a different lot of lovely scenery on her doorstep

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Can't beat the Cotswolds. [Cool]
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm lucky enough to live in the countryside, and count my blessings almost every day! The peace and quiet - and the cacophany of birds; the sunrise and sunsets; walking the dog through ever-changing fields; the colours, oh Good Lord, the colours! There is simply no better way to see the wonder of creation. [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016