homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Any colour as long as it's black (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Any colour as long as it's black
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
My dad always bought black - any other colour was 'unmanly'!

I think this has something to do with it, seriously. You'll notice the most popular colors are the ones you see on men wearing suits? Even the red = power tie.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My uncle would only buy black cars. When he died my aunt traded in his large black car for a small blue one. Nobody said a word. [Smile]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remote, rural state in australia. Rough and rugged mountain roads. Heaps of four wheel drives.

White is THE colour, for visibility I think. Very few black cars.... Too hot, and can't see them.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can buy the eyelashes for cars here in the UK too. Also skulls, daisies, paw prints and spots, not that I've taken pictures of them that I've posted anywhere.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WE drove from Derbyshire to Wales and back last week and I commented on exactly the same thing- only black, dark grey or silver cars with the occasional white or red, much less rainbow coloured than of old!

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales,

Sioni, we live about 20 miles from you (the right side of the Bridge), and we see lots of grey or silver cars - in fact, our car is grey.
I'm sure there are many grey and silver cars, but my point is that one doesn't see them because they are all but invisible in rain and murky weather.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Volkswagen Beetles are also often colourful - and often seem to come with a large artificial flower on the dashboard, which is an enjoyable touch.

The one I really liked was a midnight blue Beetle that had lightening bolts painted on it. It was called the Lightening Bug!

My car is bright yellow. Yes, people have laughed at it, but it's very easy to find in parking lots. A long time ago, Daughter-Unit and I thought it would be nice to paint stripes on it to make it look like a bumble bee.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This article seems to contradict what we've all observed, wherever we live.
quote:
A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely enough, I've recently seen two quite new-looking bright orange cars, but doubt they're local. If it is a new trend, it certainly hasn't caught on in a big way so far.

Just looked out at our car park: out of the 15 cars parked there, 10 are grey or white. [Snore]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
This article seems to contradict what we've all observed, wherever we live.
quote:
A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige.

Orange, brown and yellow? Eek! Are we on for a return to the seventies?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fiat 500 quite often seems to come in brown, as does the truly hideous Kia Soul (which also comes in a ghastly snot-green, as if it wasn't repulsive enough already); I won't link to a picture as I'm just not that unkind.

[Devil]

[ 11. July 2015, 23:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the past few years I have leased my cars, to get something reliable. What amazed me was that when recently it came time to change, it was actually £10 a month cheaper to have the red than any other colour! I love red, and why, over 4 years, would I pay £480 pounds more for a more boring colour? [Confused]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
"A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige."

Just looking back on this, I can't remember the last time I saw a gold car.
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathscats:
Over the past few years I have leased my cars, to get something reliable. What amazed me was that when recently it came time to change, it was actually £10 a month cheaper to have the red than any other colour! I love red, and why, over 4 years, would I pay £480 pounds more for a more boring colour? [Confused]

I suspect the other colours would have been metallic or pearlescent, which always adds a lot to the cost. I don't understand the appeal either - I'd rather have a nice non-fancy colour even before considering the cost saving!

Ariel, I was looking at a gold car at a car dealer yesterday. It was very pale gold, though, and Starman, whose colour vision isn't the best, thought at first that it was silver.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Mm, the Daily Mail disagrees with the other article linked to above.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, I saw this in your link:
quote:
Many motorists believe lighter colours are the safest because they are easier to spot on the road: ’Yellow, white and then red topped the poll for safety. In bad light some colours are easier to spot than others hence the importance of using your lights when visibility is poor. The AA itself uses yellow vehicles to enhance visibility of the patrols’ vehicles.’
One would think a bright yellow car would be very visible. Maybe, maybe not! Some bozo bumped into the back of my car (no damage) the day I brought it home from the dealer! Granted, the young man was probably distracted or drunk or something. He took off and ran right after the bump. If there had been a scratch on my car, I would have been after him like a shot!!!

Then, about five years ago, I was run into twice in the same week. For heaven's sake. You can't see a bright yellow car?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were blinded. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm not so happy with white cars, as you can't see them too well against snow.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Also, every speck of dirt shows up on a white car.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Also, every speck of dirt shows up on a white car.

Sorta, kinda, but no. I've owned both black and white.* And, from 3 metres or more, the white car appeared cleaner than the black car for ~ the same filth level.
In my subjective opinion, silver looks the cleanest. It has the refectivity to obscure dirt from a distance and is similar in tone to the average grime to hide it from close observation.

*and silver and Red and yellow and orange-ish red and a lovely baby blue.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

If you mean that silver doesn't deteriorate because it looks dirty in all conditions under any light, you're right. It looks good when lacquered and polished (like the US Air Force c 1950's) but otherwise, deeply unimpressive.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a practical reason for buying black cars a long time ago, at least according to a former boss from Buffalo NY. Black cars heat up better from the sun than light cars and would take longer to rust.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until very recently red as a car color tended to fade in the sun. They have done studies, and the most visible color under all weather conditions appears to be a light green.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you mean that silver doesn't deteriorate because it looks dirty in all conditions under any light, you're right. It looks good when lacquered and polished (like the US Air Force c 1950's) but otherwise, deeply unimpressive.

Didn't say I was a fan of silver cars. It is as boring a colour as white or brown. There are a few vehicles which have managed to make those choices work, but they are rare.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sure there are many grey and silver cars, but my point is that one doesn't see them because they are all but invisible in rain and murky weather.

I changed my works van from white to silver and straight away noticed that other drivers couldn't see me as well.

Resorted to putting white/red sticky tape on the outside of the wing mirrors. The effect was startling.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016