homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What did you think you would have done by now?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What did you think you would have done by now?
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 18, I resolved to create a family tree which showed all 64 of my great great great great grandparents. I've researched bits off and on over the years, but I've still only got 52. It would never have occurred to 18 year old me that 30- cough years later I wouldn't have a complete tree in beautiful calligraphy hanging on my wall.

I've also always assumed I would climb Ben Nevis, learn Gaelic and get a proper book published. None of which I have done yet.

For the last twenty years I have intended to lose my "baby weight" (Is it still called "baby weight" once the babies are adults?)

What have you always thought you would do, but haven't? And do you think you might still do these things?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not too late, NEQ. Lose your baby weight by getting in training to climb Ben Nevis, climb it, and then learn Gaelic so that you can write and publish a book about the climb. Simples!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still haven't visited the Holy Land (or Israel, as someone advised in some other thread).

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walk the Camino to Compostella

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too Leo - walking the Camino was in my 'things to do' list when I was a teenager and I still wonder occasionally if it would be possible.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*currently in my early 30s*

My main aim when I was 18 was to first complete my master's degree (which I did) and then go on to do a PhD (which I didn't). I doubt I'll ever go back into education. Am too stuck in the rat race.

I'd also hoped to have bought my first home by the time I was 30, but with the uncontrolled house price inflation, it looks like I'll never have enough deposit while my parents are alive; so I might now expect to buy when I'm in my 50s, some 20 years before when I expect to retire.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager I was very much into 20s/30s jazz and swing music (so cool) and me and my best friend were planning to be jazz singers in Eastern Europe (Poland has a vibrant jazz scene) by 19 or so.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also want to walk the Camino. Alas, by the time I am likely to be able to afford it I may have to take a bus.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At 20 I undertook studies expecting to be a rich lawyer (are there any other kinds?). It didn't take, and I become a librarian, instead. Much less income, but I could sleep at night with a clear conscience.

It's taken longer than I expected, but I (and my bank) own a house, and I have spent the last 18 years of my life blissfully travelling.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My ambition when I trained as a nurse was to get some research published. Not achieved that yet but I hope to start a PhD in about 2 years so should manage that around the age of 50.
This thread has made me reflect on how cultural background affects ambition. I came from a very poor background which left me with dreams I never thought I could achieve rather than ambitions for the future. I might start another thread [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flown my rocket pack, while my robot butler had prepared a whisky for me by the time I got back.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure I thought I would've died by now. So I guess I'm doing much better than younger me expected! Younger me didn't have too many aspirations or expectations, sadly (thanks probably to the untreated depression), which may be why I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Achieved a further degree, got married, had kids, owned my own home, moved up the career ladder, published some of my novels, taken the plunge and done that world tour or at least gone on the Eurostar to Paris for the day. Most of those are unattainable now, but your priorities change over the years and I don't think I'd want most of those now, apart from the holiday and owning my own home.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Flown my rocket pack, while my robot butler had prepared a whisky for me by the time I got back.

You too had unfeasibly high hopes raised by Look and Learn , eh? Didn't know it was available in the Netherlands.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if I expected to succeed, but I hoped (and still hope) to publish various short and long fiction I have written.

I did expect that I would someday be a father, but that has not happened.

If you have a list of six goals and manage three, you're probably doing well.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pomona: me and my best friend were planning to be jazz singers in Eastern Europe (Poland has a vibrant jazz scene)
I heard good things about Bulgaria too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I would be a lecturer at a university or theological school. But I spent too much time on the Ship.

I kind of collected the qualifications but not the cred, and I'm not entirely disappointed with the outcomes of my dissipated life.

[ 13. July 2015, 19:47: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Pomona: me and my best friend were planning to be jazz singers in Eastern Europe (Poland has a vibrant jazz scene)
I heard good things about Bulgaria too.
Madame Cholet speaks highly of him.

--------------------

Lia
Shipmate
# 7396

- Posted      Profile for Lia   Email Lia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought by this time I would :

Have had a career as a lecturer, or at least the beginnings thereof.

Have found someone who would let me love them

Own my home

Have overcome my depression

But I have achieved none of the above (sorry, black dog biting again!)

Posts: 127 | From: Cherry Tree Lane | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016